• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Apps for Documenting My Journey

Wanderingfriend

Time of past OR future Camino
I am wondering if you could give me feed back on Polar Steps and/or FindingPenguins, for a way to track and journal my journey for friends and family. I know on my last Camino my friend used polar steps. My questions are: can you track without using data and then connect it all when in wifi? Any thoughts on the apps in general. Security issues? There is a free service with penguins but it seems you can only download ten pictures. Does that mean per post or per month? I am not very app savvy, so these may be eye rolling questions. I just don’t know.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My questions are: can you track without using data and then connect it all when in wifi?
Yes. I have only used FindPenguins. When I stop to take a picture I sometimes create a "footprint" in the app at the same time, then fill in the details and upload the pictures later. I haven't used Polar Steps, so I'm not sure exactly how it works.
There is a free service with penguins but it seems you can only download ten pictures.
You can upload 10 pictures for each "footprint" or post. There's no limit on the number of posts per day.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I use polarsteps on every trip since 2017. I find it easy to use. When walking I don't have the internet on. Just GPS to track. When I'm at the albergue I typ my story and put foto's or a video to it. The foto's are uploaded when you're connected to wifi. But only when you are ready to do so.
Sometimes there are wrong gps-points, but they can be removed.
I don't think de foto's or video's are limited, at least I haven't noticed.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am wondering if you could give me feed back on Polar Steps and/or FindingPenguins, for a way to track and journal my journey for friends and family. I know on my last Camino my friend used polar steps. My questions are: can you track without using data and then connect it all when in wifi? Any thoughts on the apps in general. Security issues? There is a free service with penguins but it seems you can only download ten pictures. Does that mean per post or per month? I am not very app savvy, so these may be eye rolling questions. I just don’t know.
I never use data when I am using FindPenguins on a Camino. I have never been interested in producing a GPS track when I am walking, so I am not sure if FindPenguins actually tracks you on GPS or just connects the lines between places where you take pictures. I THINK, but am not sure, that it is the latter. If you actually want to record your tracks, I would use wikiloc or relive.

I did a little searching but didn’t find the precise answer about tracking and FindPenguins. I did find a pretty helpful youtube video though. Though this video is geared more towards those who are racking up lots of countries visited and want to see what percentage of the world they have visited, :oops: the basic info is helpful.

I used polarsteps and was happy with it on Primitivo 2021. Took tons of pictures and wrote daily. I shared the link with those that were following my journey and they reported it useful enjoying the pictures and written entries. I found it easy to use and I'm not of the generation that grew up with cell phones. That said there may have been more features possible that I wasn't aware of. When I returned home I ordered the book. I spent a lot of time moving pictures and editing but I have almost 300 pages of memories. For me, I had to remove the picture, edit and then add back if editing was needed. Next time I would edit the pictures before adding to the app. I could not pick the size of photos either but overall was very satisfied. I have never used the penguin app for comparison.
I hope this helps. Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I used Find Penguins on the CF last summer. It won't tell you where you are or where any facilities are in real time, so it's no use for navigation. But it provides a place for journaling and uploading photos/videos. It also provides a map based on the geolocation of your photos. You can upload 10 photos and 2 videos (under a minute each if I remember correctly) per day, and as many posts as you want. I uploaded when I had wifi in the evenings. Uploading videos can occasionally be frustrating, but as a method of journaling and providing others with your progress on a map, it worked well for me. Here's a link to my camino. I haven't made use of all of the editing tools to polish it up, so don't expect a lot. But the tools are there if you have the motivation to make a production level journal. https://findpenguins.com/0coe1cjahzi5h/trip/with-best-of-intentions

Buen Camino!!

You can upload 10 photos and 2 videos (under a minute each if I remember correctly) per day,

With a free account you can make as many posts per day as you want, and each post can have up to ten photos and one video.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've used Polar Steps twice and love it. You can just upload when you get wifi. No limit to the number of pictures. I also loved the book they made for me!

I use relive ... https://www.relive.cc ... it creates a 3D video of my route and adds any photos I take along the way. Once created I can share it in various ways. There is a free version that gives you a good idea of its features, but I used the paid version on my camino.
Only "problem" I had was that I sometimes found I was paying more attention to creating a video for my friends and family than I was to my own personal experience. But that wasn't the apps fault. 😏

I use relive ... https://www.relive.cc ... it creates a 3D video of my route and adds any photos I take along the way. Once created I can share it in various ways. There is a free version that gives you a good idea of its features, but I used the paid version on my camino.
Only "problem" I had was that I sometimes found I was paying more attention to creating a video for my friends and family than I was to my own personal experience. But that wasn't the apps fault. 😏
Thanks Dennis. I have seen some Relive videos that a friend shares from time to time, and I always thought this was for a complete trip, rather than day by day updates... but nothing would stop me from doing a daily video I suppose!
Can friends find all your trip videos from a single link to a web page? Because I have the issue of different people communicating in different ways and using different platforms, and I won't be sending daily links to everyone... 🤷‍♀️

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

This is only my opinion and suggestion and if you don't agree or like it that is fine and dandy. It will not bother me in the least. For days we have been seeing posts about too many pilgrims...
Been back for a week from the Camono Primitivo, my heart is full of overwhelming gratefulness for this experience, but also full of disappointment. On one side, I enjoyed a beautiful and...
Good day, I am new on the Forum. Exciting! I am planning to dedicate 10-12 days to the Camino. I am leaning towards the Del Norte route but want to end in Santiago. With limited time, it made...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.