• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Asking your experience in reserving renfe tickets with Rail Ninja app

hikingmd_05

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances in 3 stages (2016/2017 & 2019)
CP in 2021
Hi! I would like to ask forum members of their experience (if any) in reserving Renfe tickets using the Rail Ninja app.
I’m representing a group of pilgrims from the Philippines who’ll be walking the Camino Ingles during Holy Week from Ferrol.
Reservation for the accomodations confirmed before buying our plane tickets last November.
6 weeks ago, I purchased our round trip Renfe tickets (Madrid-Santiago-Madrid) using the Rail Ninja app. I got a notice after purchase that the tickets were under process since it was an advance booking (March 22 is the 1st leg n April 1 is the 2nd leg of the trip).
My last update 1 wk ago sent thru email was “that the reservation was received n already processed but the seat assignment is a little bit delayed by the supplier. The actual train tickets will be issued only when the seat assignment becomes available and will be sent thru email.”
I’m a little bit worried that I might have been scammed.
Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
On the Renfe App it says the train for April 1 is not yet available for purchase so likely you are still ok at this point. They are waiting for tickets to be available.

This is pretty common in Spain with train and bus tickets not being available months and months in advance.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
What @J Willhaus says.

I've never heard of Rail Ninja. According to Trustpilot it is a legitimate company. You've booked with them, so no need to propose other options. ;)

You helpfully provided the dates of your journey. I tried to book tickets for those dates directly, without any intermediary, on the website of Spanish Railways Renfe and it is indeed too early for them to issue tickets for a return journey Madrid-Santiago-Madrid for those dates.

Buen Camino for the whole group!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I book with Renfe every year for various trips around Spain. Some from Madrid to various stages on caminos and also for holidays, depending on where we fly into. Renfe only populate their site anywhere between 30 to 60 days in advance. It is a matter of looking on their website on a regular basis nearer your departure date. It can be very 'hit and miss'. This applies to the major routes and their appears to be no definitave advance time . Tt could be 60 days on one occasion and only 30 days in advance the next time.

This is an update on my inquiry on the rail ninja booking platform.
Yesterday, I requested an update on our tickets since the departure date is 10 days away thru the platform’s support service. I got a reply that our chosen departure date has been changed so I requested a refund. Within an hour after the cancellation of the 1st leg (Madrid to SdC on March 22), I received another email regarding ticket change of the next leg, SdC to Madrid on April 1 (from cost saver to flexible) n the cost of the difference ($132) should be paid which I did. I was surprised later that not only the 1st leg but also the 2nd leg cancelled! And I was assured of a refund.
So, our grp of 4 decided to fly to Santiago n return to Madrid by train (booked thru Trainline).

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Your experience seems to bear out negative posts like these on TripAdvisor's Train Travel forum:

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back