• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Booking tickets on the Renfe site

LynneC

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2023
I've been trying to book train tickets for our group and get all the way to the end of the payment process and then get an error message- I've tried with 2 cards but no luck- anyone else struggle to book tickets online with Renfe?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Did you by chance register as a user on the RENFE site? If so and you haven't done so already, try making the purchase without logging in.

I've been trying to book train tickets for our group and get all the way to the end of the payment process and then get an error message- I've tried with 2 cards but no luck- anyone else struggle to book tickets online with Renfe?
I remember having a similar experience back in 2013. Eventually I worked through from start. I think I had to select English and then when it came to payment I had to get my Australian Bank to provide a NETCODE number. Oh and you can't book more than 60 days in advance. Hope this helps. Cheers

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I used my credit card from St Jean to Burgos with no problem, but when I tried to use it to purchase a rideshare in Burgos, my credit card blocked it, sending me an email to approve the purchase. I didn't get the email for several hours, so did not know why my credit card was blocking the sale.

I always use Trainline like @Bradypus. It's an English website and none of my credit cards have ever been denied. As an American (not very techy) I gave up on the Renfe site quite a few years ago.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes another vote for Trainline. Even though I'm in England for awhile it calculates my fare in Canadian dollars and charges it in Canadian and no problem at check out. Perhaps it defaults currency based on mailing address? I don't recall doing anything in particular to switch my currency, it just comes up like that and that's no problem for me. For reference it cost me $30.61 Canadian from Madrid on Sept 19 arriving in Pamplona at 10:34 so I should have plenty of time to catch the one bus a day to SJPP at noon.

On another hand, the bus ride cost me 22 Euros that went though my card with the exchange ended up $33.29 Canadian, so the 3 hour train rider is cheaper!

At the moment, I'm using RailEurope website and app, and, theoretically, I have a seat on the 13 Sep 0706 train from Madrid-Chamartin to Oviedo.

I'll let you know on the 14th if I was successful. 😉

Another vote for Trainline. My experiences with them are more than 5 years old, but I have used them multiple times. They answer emails written in English promptly. I began usuing Trainline after encountering the same issues with my US credit card - wouldn't work. Tried again, wouldn't work. Started over and tried a different card - didn't work.

I had successfully used the RENFE site with a US card before the site started rejecting my card, so I think the issue may have to do with train security (maybe after terrorist attacks at the Stade de France and the Bataclan Theater in November 2016). Not sure about this, tho.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I had issues using the app to book my ticket, so I tried online. I also had issues online. I finally figured out that there are some credit cards that just would not work (US). I was finally able to book a ticket online, and then I added it to the app. I also had issues using the kiosk at Atocha with my credit card and had to purchase my tickets at the window.

I. Also use PayPal for the Renfe site and app. It works just fine that way. One of the benefits I found of using the Renfe app and linking the website to it is that if you have travel delays, you can easily rebook trains using the app. There are also more trains available to see by going directly to Renfe than what they seem to let third party sites have access to.

At the moment, I'm using RailEurope website and app, and, theoretically, I have a seat on the 13 Sep 0706 train from Madrid-Chamartin to Oviedo.

I'll let you know on the 14th if I was successful. 😉
You don't have to worry. I used RailEurope to buy Paris to SJPdP tickets for a group of 5, and everything was fine.
I had successfully used the RENFE site with a US card before the site started rejecting my card, so I think the issue may have to do with train security (maybe after terrorist attacks at the Stade de France and the Bataclan Theater in November 2016). Not sure about this, tho
Nothing to do with train security, but with banking security.

The Renfe website's payment page asks for 2 step verification. If your credit card cannot handle this requirement you cannot use it. Credit cards issued in Spain or elsewhere in Europe don't have an issue with this.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We use both Omio and Trainline. Omio is super easy but Trainline seems to have more options.

Tried to book this morning first with traimline then with renfe. Renfe was €50 cheaper they s
Wouldn't except a credit card but excepted PayPal.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Also had trouble with the credit card transaction not going through on Renfe (my bank even "froze" the card). Subsequently, I've used raileurope.com, and it worked perfectly. They even sent down-loadable tickets to my e-mail.

I know PayPal might not be a desirable option but discovered it was the best option not only for Renfe but also for accommodations. And, you want to book thru Renfe as other booking sites do not tell you of time changes, etc as I discovered needing to get from Santiago to Madrid to catch a flight back home.

We are fans of Trainline ever since rail strikes in the UK caused a group of us to change travel plans.
Those that had booked directly with the train operator had to jump through hoops to get a refund. Trainline refunded us with just two clicks on their website.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I used Renfe, yesterday with USA Visa card. Check with your bank. I don’t think it is Renfe,vbut your bank that maybe rejecting the charge. do call them and let them know you wanttomake the purchase.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
One advantage with booking direct on Renfe is that if there is a cancellation of your train, they will send you an email notice. I had this happen last year in Spain and I was easily able to rebook before heading to the train station.

One advantage with booking direct on Renfe is that if there is a cancellation of your train, they will send you an email notice. I had this happen last year in Spain and I was easily able to rebook before heading to the train station.
Trainline now has ‘native’ notification via RENFE, so you get the same emails and cancellation/rebooking options that you would get with RENFE direct; that changed about 12 months ago.

I once had a booking rejected by Renfe because they insisted on getting my phone number filled in on the booking and then rejected it because it was not a Spanish number. Since I discovered Trainline, that is what I always use.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A lot of people have had problems paying with foreign cards on the RENFE website. I tend to use the Trainline website to make my bookings. Very small markup on the ticket price and the site is far more user-friendly for a Brit to use.
I am doing the Camino next year. I downloaded Trainline and it looks good. I was just doing a trial search to see how it works looking at trains from Madrid Atocha to Pamphlona and it keeps saying “ no trains available” no matter what date or time I put in? What am I doin wrong please? Thanks Leah

I am doing the Camino next year. I downloaded Trainline and it looks good. I was just doing a trial search to see how it works looking at trains from Madrid Atocha to Pamphlona and it keeps saying “ no trains available” no matter what date or time I put in? What am I doin wrong please? Thanks Leah
Try again closer to your trip. Renfe does not post trains schedules for purchase very far in advance.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Try again closer to your trip. Renfe does not post trains schedules very far in advance.
I thought that might be it so I tried dates in September 2023 - no luck. The I clicked on the sugggested day and price in the line above and still nothing available?

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back