• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Baggage check

hokiebobwise

July '23 (CF/Astorga)
Time of past OR future Camino
CF/Astorga July 2023
I am at Madrid Airport and the Air France attendant required us to check our 36L Osprey Stratus bags because they wouldn't fit in the bin. The couple in front of us, with a different check in person, wasn't required to validate or check their bags and they appeared to be much larger. Additionally, at security the guy in front had a 50L bag. So, my compostela and all other items will be away from me for the first time in 3 weeks. Just a way of remembering to let things go and let things flow.

Bob

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I am at Madrid Airport and the Air France attendant required us to check our 36L Osprey Stratus bags because they wouldn't fit in the bin. The couple in front of us, with a different check in person, wasn't required to validate or check their bags and they appeared to be much larger. Additionally, at security the guy in front had a 50L bag. So, my compostela and all other items will be away from me for the first time in 3 weeks. Just a way of remembering to let things go and let things flow.

Bob
I would say wear all your clothes to get past the desk and then scramble to shove them back into your bag as you’re getting on the plane. Works like a charm. A messy, disorganized charm.

I carry a small pack into itself. I believe it is called a Vita bag. I use it as my 2nd carry on and can put anything bulky in it to make the pack smaller if there is a problem. After the flight, it goes into my backpack. It is also good if I go to a market for holding things until I get back to the albergue.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Happened to me too. My backpack was confiscated as being too tall for carry-on, and my husband, who was behind me and had the exact same backpack, was let through, by the same attendant. It’s just hit or miss. But they let me take out stuff I wanted on the plane, like my electronics or snacks.

I carry a small pack into itself. I believe it is called a Vita bag. I use it as my 2nd carry on and can put anything bulky in it to make the pack smaller if there is a problem. After the flight, it goes into my backpack. It is also good if I go to a market for holding things until I get back to the albergue.
that's exactly would I did this last May. Used a grocery bag from my local store to put sandals and a few other items in and used it as my under seat bag then put back into my backpack when landed.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Every airline I have ever flown on or considered publishes online their size limits for carry ons. Anyone ever known that your bag was within the limits and had a gate person claim it is too big and you must check it? How did you respond and did that response make things better or worse?

It has never happened for me. But I’m curious.

Anyone ever known that your bag was within the limits and had a gate person claim it is too big and you must check it?
I think I have been on short-haul flights where the particular plane's overhead bins were smaller than usual, and passengers were asked to surrender some bags at the gate. I didn't argue, and simply complied.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Every airline I have ever flown on or considered publishes online their size limits for carry ons. Anyone ever known that your bag was within the limits and had a gate person claim it is too big and you must check it? How did you respond and did that response make things better or worse?

Sometimes you will be made to gate check a carry-on that is within the size limits simply because there is no more room in the overhead bins - possibly because too many oversized carry-ons were allowed on board before you got there!

You should always be prepared with a small bag that will fit under the seat in front of you that you can transfer critical items into.

Sort of, but not recently. My wife and I would often travel to our nearest international hub in a Dash-8 aircraft, which had quite shallow overhead lockers. If we carried a bag that was within the airlines limits for the larger aircraft in its fleet but was too large for the Dash-8 overhead bin, it would be put into the hold last, and removed on the tarmac on arrival, where it could be collected. This avoided any delay of waiting for it at a luggage collection carousel.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sometimes you will be made to gate check a carry-on that is within the size limits simply because there is no more room in the overhead bins - possibly because too many oversized carry-ons were allowed on board before you got there!

You should always be prepared with a small bag that will fit under the seat in front of you that you can transfer critical items into.
This is very common at many European airports nowadays. Many airlines now sell ‘hand baggage only’ fares, so the growth of hand baggage has been significant, and also there is a big growth in intra European shorts weekends trips ( where people just take carry on) so it’s a big issue for airlines. It can clam up boarding which can delay flights so trying to take the bag and tag it at the gate is one option to help.

Overhead bin size varies by aircraft as stated. It’s not long before the 100ml liquid rule is no more so be interesting to see what happens then!

Every airline I have ever flown on or considered publishes online their size limits for carry ons. Anyone ever known that your bag was within the limits and had a gate person claim it is too big and you must check it? How did you respond and did that response make things better or worse? It has never happened for me. But I’m curious.
It happened numerous times for me. On Lufthansa flights between Munich and Frankfurt when they used a smallish aircraft with fairly small overhead lockers. It might have been this model, I used to think of it as the Rabbit Plane because the wings were fixed at the top of the plane and had a negative V shape, like a rabbit's floppy ears. Also on a more recent Iberia flight from Madrid where the ground staff went through the waiting line of passengers at the gate and picked out hand luggage at random that was to be handed over, including my backpack which had clearly smaller dimensions than the suitcases of other passengers some of which even looked larger than the allowed size for cabin luggage.

I was surprised the first time, and all the other times I did what others have described already: Quickly removed any items from the backpack that I want to have with me during the flight, like reading glasses etc. It's actually nice that you don't have to take your backpack with you into the cabin, desperately look around to find a space to store it if you are one of those who board towards the end of the process and don't have to wrestle it out of the overhead locker at the end of the flight. You comfortably leave the plane and pick up your backpack at the bottom of the steps.

It happened numerous times for me. On Lufthansa flights between Munich and Frankfurt when they used a smaller aircraft with fairly small overhead lockers. It might have been this model, I used to think of it as the Rabbit Plane because the wings were fixed at the top of the plane and had a negative V shape, like a rabbit's floppy ears. Also on a more recent Iberia flight from Madrid where the ground staff went through the waiting line of passengers at the gate and picked out hand luggage at random that was to be handed over, including my backpack which had clearly smaller dimensions than the suitcases of other passengers some of which looked even larger than the allowed size for cabin luggage.

I was surprised the first time and all the other times I did what others have described already: Quickly removed any items from the backpack that I want to have with me during the flight, like reading glasses etc. It's actually nice that you don't have to take your backpack with you into the cabin, look around to find a space to store it if you are one of those who board towards the end of the process and don't have to wrestle it out of the locker at the end of the flight. You comfortably leave the plane and pick up your backpack at the bottom of the steps.
100% right. It’s happens the vast majority of intra European short haul flights I take and I fly a lot.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
For those who might want to transport a bag, here are the envelopes of two companies. The envelopes can be found at most places to stay along the Camino. Fill out the info and slip the money in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.