• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Backpacks Check-in or carry-on

nandogdc

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2023
Hi Caminantes,

My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a chance of getting lost and not arriving with me. I was thinking of carrying them on the plane, but they might be too big, 36L and 30L.

I am looking for other past experiences doing the same route. "To carry or not to carry" that is my question :)

Buen Camino
Nando

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If you bring poles, you have no choice: you have to check them in.
Do not worry about luggage lost: Qatar Airways is a good reputation company. I advice to check in for such a long flight.

Hi Caminantes,

My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a chance of getting lost and not arriving with me. I was thinking of carrying them on the plane, but they might be too big, 36L and 30L.

I am looking for other past experiences doing the same route. "To carry or not to carry" that is my question :)

Buen Camino
Nando
The airline website will tell you what size of bag you are allowed to take on as hand luggage. A 36lt pack will probably fit but you´ll have to measure it to be sure. If you do decide to check your backpacks (we usually do) you can attach a label with your email address, destination and flight number - bags are very, very rarely lost but can be delayed. If your details are visible you will get it back much more quickly because the airline can identify it. But as Pafayac says, Qatar are pretty reliable.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The chances of your bags being lost are very, very remote.

However, as somebody who has had his bags misplaced (hence delayed), on more than one occasion I personally prefer to carry mine on enroute to the Camino.

This is an instance where none of our personal opinions or experiences really matter. People love to share on the forum how they always successfully carry on their 40 / 50l rucksack etc, it's meaningless.
The reality is, it is purely and simply up to the regulations and the individual staff on the day, and how religiously they enforce them.

Qatar's sizing for carry on luggage is rather small by industry standards at just 50 x 37 x 25, ( check your ticket to ensure that the sizing I've quoted is correct!) if you can get your bags close to that short by taking out the things in the brain, you might be in luck. Those items should then fit nicely (in your day pack) as your personal item under the seat in front.

Otherwise simply check your bags. It's not like you really have any other choice, is it!

As @dick bird says, a clear luggage label is a very good idea. But limit your personal details - first initial, surname, mobile phone number, city and country of origin.

Thanks for the help. Yes, Qatar only accepts packs of 50Cm, and mine is 60Cm, so check-in will have to be :)

Do you plastic wrap the backpacks or tie the straps?

Just tie the straps. This came up recently on the forum, Spain has enough issues dealing with massive amounts of plastic waste without us adding to it!
You can of course get proper bags to put your backpack in (I have one for my larger rucksack), however you would need to then post that ahead to Santiago. Which of course is an option as you could then use it for the journey home.
Should you wish you could get a cheap duffle or laundry bag or similar to put it in.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As I carry poles, I check my rucsack. I put my rain cover on backwards, so that it covers the straps and back. This makes them less likely to get snagged. I finish it with a nylon strap, with buckle around the middle, and a good label, with my details. It has worked for my last six Caminos.
Have a good Camino.

We put our backpack in a Flightbag before checking in.
Bought one with a zipper so nothing gets ripped of or damaged or gets lost (trekkingpoles) and we can attach a little lock to it.

As handbagage we always carry first necessities in case the luggage is delayed.(and always wear the walkingboots and socks)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I never check in luggage. We had a trip where we flew into one city, rented a car and drove to another town. My wife's suitcase was delayed but , by then, we were several hundred miles away. Since that experience, I never check in bags. As one person says: there are two kinds of luggage-carry on and lost. You can get a duffle bag, wrap the bag in plastic or tie up all the straps and use the raincover. These will prevent or lessen the chance of damage but do nothing to prevent loss or delay.

It only takes one lost or severely delayed bag to colour one’s opinion for life.

In well over 1000 flights during my working life I have had one bag delayed by a day, which is probably on the lucky side of the statistics.

Travelling for Camino, I’m not really time constrained now that I’m retired; I’m never using a connecting flight and other than my first night I don’t pre-book. I carry on the bare essentials and valuables and check my sack.

It’s a purely personal decision and my opinion is as useless in that respect as everyone else’s.

I would NEVER check my backpack. If it is lost or if it takes a few day to get your luggage you are screwed. Carrying your backpack through an airport is a good final runthrough before your camino. Also when you arrive and I am sure you will be exhausted you do not have to wait for your pack to come out. I have waited as long as 45 minutes for my luggage. Who needs the worry and extra time.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello & Welcome
So you are getting enough advices pro and con and ultimately it will be up to you to make a decision and hope for the best :)

In my case - I was bringing my poles with me so that pretty much gave me no choice but to check-in. In addition my Gregory Zulu 35L is too big for a cabin carry-on so that only added to the situation.

There are many threads here on the Forum as to how to protect the backpack when checking in. Based on some suggestions, I wound up buying this Foldable Duffel Bag where both the backpack and my poles fitted quite nicely. I did NOT use a lock (again in one of the previous threads someone said something to the fact of "attracting unwanted attention") but merely secured the 2 zippers together with a nylon twistie, not for security against theft but rather so the bag does not open.
I got it in CdG Paris with no issues at all.

It packs into its own small compact(ipad size) pocket so easy just to throw on the bottom of the backpack while walking. If need be - can absolutely work as a bag to use if decided to transport things from one albergue to another

Just FYI - I was wearing my full 1-day walking gear incl hiking boots on the plane "just in case".

Good luck and Buen Camino

As I carry poles, I check my rucsack. I put my rain cover on backwards, so that it covers the straps and back. This makes them less likely to get snagged. I finish it with a nylon strap, with buckle around the middle, and a good label, with my details. It has worked for my last six Caminos.
Have a good Camino.
Can you post a picture of the backpack and solution you are using?

Hi Caminantes,

I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a chance of getting lost and not arriving with me. I was thinking of carrying them on the plane, but they might be too big, 36L and 30L.

When I flew Air Canada for my CF serveral years ago, their check-in counter in the airport provided me a large see-through plastic bag to "contain" my backpack and hiking pole as one a large bag and security-scan / checked it at a diffenret place, no hassel. Not many airlines provided such service at that time.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm nervous about lost luggage, too. We spend so much time thinking about every item in our packs, it would be hard to replace/replicate all that. What we have started doing is this:

1) Pack a small suitcase with hiking poles and small knife (the two items we cannot carry on) plus other items from our backpacks that would be easy to replace in Spain should the suitcase get lost. We also include in the suitcase a large foldable duffle bag that fits both of our backpacks so we can easily check our backpacks in it for the trip home.

2) Carry on our backpacks with everything else.

3) Once we get to Spain, repack and fill the suitcase with things we don't need on the camino, but used for the flight over (neck pillows, large noise cancelling earphones, comfortable flight clothes, etc.).

4) Send the suitcase to where we need it at the end of our trip. For example, we have used Correos to send the suitcase to Santiago. ( https://www.elcaminoconcorreos.com/en/transfer-luggage ) And Ivar also offers an excellent storage service. ( https://casaivar.com/luggage-storage-in-santiago-de-compostela/ ) This year we are only going half way to Santiago so we plan to fly back from Irun where we are starting. We've made reservations at the same hotel for both first and last nights. They have agreed to store our suitcase for us.

5) For the trip home after the camino, pack using the duffel to check everything we don't need on the flight, including the backpacks. What a relief!! If they lose our luggage on the flight home, not nearly as big a hassle.

Last edited:
Hi Caminantes,

Buen Camino
Nando
Another thing we always do when we travel is put Apple Air Tags hidden in each and every piece -
Checked or not.

Hi Caminantes,

Buen Camino
Nando
I’ve only once been required to check my backpack in all my trips to Spain (Lufthansa last year), but I put all the items I have to have on my trip in a dry bag in the top of my bag that I can remove , so if it gets lost replacing a backpack isn’t that difficult. All the rest of my gear would be.
I also started buying smaller backpacks without too rigid of a frame so they’ll squash into any sizer I encounter.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Caminantes,

Buen Camino
Nando
It never matters that checking a backpack has previously gone without a problem. What matters is that it only takes one time for it to become a major headache.

A few years ago I had to fly out-of-state in order to get to a trail head for a 3 week backpacking trip in the Colorado Rockies. Up to that point, I had always checked my backpack as luggage, containing all of my gear and clothing, whenever I had to fly to a destination for a backpacking trip.

This time it was lost. To this day, it has never been recovered. The airline suspected that it may have been stolen at some point during the baggage handling process. In the end, however, the reason didn't matter. Since then, I have talked to other backpackers who have had their backpacks lost -- not necessarily stolen -- when flying.

So, here I was 24 hours prior to the start of the hiking trip. I was tired, and had been hoping to rest up for a good day at altitude (9800 feet), in order to get a bit of a head start acclimating because of the hike being above 10,000 ft. for most of that trip.

Instead, I had to spend much of the day replacing gear and clothing. Some, I could do a direct replacement. For other stuff, like my tent and sleeping quilt which were special ordered, I had to make due with something heavier and less efficient. Plus, I had to replace all of the freeze dried food I had packed.

Whether my backpack had been stolen, or located and returned in two days, the result in the end would not have changed what I needed to do. I had no clue as to how long the wait for a returned backpack would be, and I had the starting day of my hike that I needed to keep.

The fact that every other time I had checked my backpack that it had arrived safely didn't matter one teensy bit. :)

When I flew Air Canada for my CF serveral years ago, their check-in counter in the airport provided me a large see-through plastic bag to "contain" my backpack and hiking pole as one a large bag and security-scan / checked it at a diffenret place, no hassel. Not many airlines provided such service at that time.

I guess the true question would be "how many airlines provide such service NOW"
I for one have not heard of any (which is not to say that it does not happen)

Another thing we always do when we travel is put Apple Air Tags hidden in each and every piece -
Checked or not.
OK to some extend it is a very valuable info and pretty good idea. That said (and is evident from the stories of folks who did not get their luggage on time) - just because you found out where your backpack is - does not mean that 1. it is in the same facility as you are and 2. that they somehow would be able (or I'll even stretch to "and willing") to get it to you ASAP. The stories are abound out there in the WebLand... one that always stuck in my head was this lady who easily tracked her bag to ORD...where it lived for the next 3 weeks (and with that she finally gave up and drove to ORD; something like 3-4 hours o\w from here town)
If you are ready to hit that Camino from SJPdP "tomorrow morning" .... :oops:

Hi Caminantes,

Buen Camino
Nando
I have always been able to carry on my hyperlite pack which lessens my stress! You can always buy poles in SJPP.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I also put an Air Tag discretely in my rucksack... it may still not arrive, but at least I know where it is, and it offers a degree of reassurance. Also useful on the trail, just in case it disappears, for whatever reason...

Thanks for the help. Yes, Qatar only accepts packs of 50Cm, and mine is 60Cm, so check-in will have to be :)

Easy and cheap to Saran Wrap your pack , I have never had a problem and pack stays clean , also I separate my walking pole and tape together so as not to be the longest thing in pack and therefore not subject to breakage

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you want to take your trekking poles, you HAVE to check your bag. If you want to take any kind of knife you have to check your bag.
A good thing to look at is the Zpacks Airplane Case. If will hold most backpacks for travel. Then it can be used as a backpack liner to put on the inside of your backpack to keep things dry when you hike. I like things that have multiple uses.
Backpack in case.jpg

Last edited:
Per prior comments, if you have sharp objects (e.g., poles, Swiss Army Knife, etc.) you need to check your bags. I've carried backpacks up to 24 L onto planes with no problems but my Camino pack is 38L and I doubt will qualify.

My solution on my last Camino (2022) was an adjustable duffel bag (https://www.piorama.co/collections/the-adjustable-bag-a10). It will hold my fully packed pack and then some. It's tough and compressible into a small ball. When I get to my destination (Paris on my last Camino), I simply remove the pack from the bag, compress the duffel bag into a ball, and put it in the pack. That way, I can easily carry everything on my back out of the airport an onto a train, taxi, bus, etc.

This works well for me because I use a luggage forwarding service on the Camino. Each day I carry my valuables, water (hydration pack), clothing layers (windbreaker, rain jacket, etc.), pharmaceuticals, and any irreplaceable items in the pack and forward everything else in the duffel bag to the next overnight accommodation. Since I don't have a huge amount of other stuff, I can compress the duffel bag into a smaller version so it doesn't flop around.

I did this on my 2022 CF and I plan to do it again on this year's CP.

Apart from dimension, carry on weight limits is a factor. Here is a paste for Qatar:
For First & Business Class – 2 pieces of baggage weighing no more than 15 kgs and of a dimension not exceeding 50x37x25cms. For Economy class – 1 piece of baggage weighing no more than 7kgs and of a dimension not exceeding 50 x 37 x 25 cms

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It’s important to note that all bags are not created equal and that a a specific size of bag (“40L” for example) will vary in size from one manufacturer to the next. In fact, the same model of bag can actually be more or less depending on whether it is a S, M, or L! So forget the capacity size and instead focus on the allowed measurements of your particular flight in relation to the measurements of your particular bag.

I always check my rucksack in but make sure it goes as oversized luggage
The excuse is because of all the straps and dangly bits
Never failed yet ( touch wood ) and because it is in the oversized section it always arrives in the luggage hall first
Buen camino

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Caminantes,

Buen Camino
Nando
I used a Hyperlite backpack that I was able to take the internal structure out and and make it foldable. I grabbed all of my gear, plus my folded pack and jammed that all in a carry-on suitcase to avoid checking it in. Once in SJPP, I used Express Bouricott to forward my suitcase to a hotel in SDC for my arrival. Worked out perfectly. If you can fold your empty pack into a suitcase with your gear, that'd be the way to go.

Last edited:
I’ve carried on a 40 litre and my usual pack which is a 30 litre without issue and I’ve walked in many different countries with many different airlines. Never a single issue. The airlines are so busy trying to get everyone on board that they very rarely check. I’ve carried my poles on as well in the pack every time without issue. I never check a bag even when not walking because huge numbers of bags are misplaced every single day, and how are you going to start walking if your gear doesn’t show up for 2-3 days, or ever! Trust. You’ll be fine and your Camino will be excellent!

Checked or not.
I flew Qatar last May to Madrid for Camino. Always check in poles in my big luggage. Always carryon Camino back pack with Camino shoes and important items I wouldn’t want to have to repurchase if per chance luggage got lost. Posted main luggage to Santiago from Madrid with Correos. Worked fine. I also use Apple AirTags to see where luggage is. ✅

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

No. It is an unnecessary addition to plastic waste. Clip the straps together. The airline will put the backpack in a special tray.

Can you post a picture of the backpack and solution you are using?
As requested two photos. I am happy using this method on European flights. On longer global flights I would most likely use a cheap outer holdall.

Attachments

• IMG_20240315_080849618.jpg
    IMG_20240315_080849618.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20240315_080910414.jpg
    IMG_20240315_080910414.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Caminantes,

Buen Camino
Nando

36l will likely fit in the overhead bins.

Mine's 48l and the rigid back makes it too long.. it still fits and i took it before, but if they checked it I'd have the punative fee at the gate.

Also, i like to be able to carry a small knife. This would be confiscated by security otherwise.

Also, some budget airlines allow a free checked bag but charge for (large) hand luggage.

There is a risk of luggage getting lost or delayed. I had a short connection and my bag didn't arrive til the following evening. That's a nuisance.
Straps on a backpacks can also get tangled in conveyor belts resulting in damaged or delayed luggage.

Advice: carry your backpack if possible

Per prior comments, if you have sharp objects (e.g., poles, Swiss Army Knife, etc.) you need to check your bags. I've carried backpacks up to 24 L onto planes with no problems but my Camino pack is 38L and I doubt will qualify.

My solution on my last Camino (2022) was an adjustable duffel bag (https://www.piorama.co/collections/the-adjustable-bag-a10). It will hold my fully packed pack and then some. It's tough and compressible into a small ball. When I get to my destination (Paris on my last Camino), I simply remove the pack from the bag, compress the duffel bag into a ball, and put it in the pack. That way, I can easily carry everything on my back out of the airport an onto a train, taxi, bus, etc.

This works well for me because I use a luggage forwarding service on the Camino. Each day I carry my valuables, water (hydration pack), clothing layers (windbreaker, rain jacket, etc.), pharmaceuticals, and any irreplaceable items in the pack and forward everything else in the duffel bag to the next overnight accommodation. Since I don't have a huge amount of other stuff, I can compress the duffel bag into a smaller version so it doesn't flop around.

I did this on my 2022 CF and I plan to do it again on this year's CP.
I checked a shipping tube with my poles and other sharp objects in it and carried on my pack. The shipping tube came through just fine. If it had been lost it would be no big deal.

I checked a shipping tube with my poles and other sharp objects in it and carried on my pack. The shipping tube came through just fine. If it had been lost it would be no big deal.
I agree and have done that in the past.I usually prefer to not head to the luggage conveyer belt and wait as it can take too much time when I need to get to my next connection on a train or bus.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I agree and have done that in the past.I usually prefer to not head to the luggage conveyer belt and wait as it can take too much time when I need to get to my next connection on a train or bus.
I agree, usually my time in Madrid is short and I use it for getting a few supplies before I catch my train for my starting point.
Since walking poles in Spain only cost $20-30 a set, I don’t mind buying them and donating them on my way out. Especially as it saves me time packaging them, checking them in twice, waiting in baggage twice. Money well spent!

I agree, usually my time in Madrid is short and I use it for getting a few supplies before I catch my train for my starting point.
Since walking poles in Spain only cost $20-30 a set, I don’t mind buying them and donating them on my way out. Especially as it saves me time packaging them, checking them in twice, waiting in baggage twice. Money well spent!
Exactly what I did @DTCamino . Worked out the Decathlon store location and picked up poles. Also bought a pocket knife - that was confiscated at the train station as it was a millimeter or 2 larger than the limit (groan).

Hi Caminantes,

Buen Camino
Nando
Check them in....

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

I made an outer drawstring sack (of lightweight ripstop nylon) for our back packs. This way we could put our hiking poles in too.(best to stick those inside your backpack before covering. I sewed a handle on each sack so we could attach our identification info (and airline tags) in case they got lost. We have successfully received our luggage this way now 6 times for long trekking holidays. I will do the same this Fall to Ireland. The rip stop bag is very light weight and fits nicely in the bottom of my back pack waiting for my return flight. It also works nicely as a sit upon on the trail. Buen Camino.

Hi Caminantes,

Buen Camino
Nando
I carried my backpack on the flight from the US without any problems. The aircraft on international flights have large overhead bins.
Buen Camino

Gregory

My custom, if checking bags, is to take a photo of my luggage while I’m waiting in the check-in queue. That way if you ever need to describe it you can save yourself 1000 words.

Obviously that’s in addition to internal and external labels, and an AirTag.

That said for my upcoming Camino I’m taking just a 42 litre bag that comfortably fits within the hand luggage dimensions and does not contain poles etc. This saves stress if there is a tight connection.

Once in Spain I’ll buy those few things I need but can’t carry with me.

This is a great deal less expensive than the often exorbitant cost of a checked bag within Europe. But if you’re on an intercontinental flight that latter consideration may not apply.

This is what I want to do for exactly the reason you said. Where did you get the shipping tube from. Are you poles fixed or telescopic? Many thanks.

Hi Caminantes,

Buen Camino
Nando
Hola Nando,
I walked the Frances in 2019 successfully taking my Sirrus 36L pack on all four flights with different carriers to get from Bozeman MT to Biarritz, France where I took a train and bus to SJPP. The important consideration was following the smallest allowance, which is 56 x 40 x 25cm. I am walking the Norte this May/June and did a cardboard mockup of my full pack. Its only 3 flights to get to Irun but they are very strict on the carrier website what is allowed.
I did the carryon option because I have a frame I Did Not want destroyed by a heavy suitcase being tossed on it... it could mean a very uncomfortable 500 miles.
Perhaps I will meet with you and your wife to Congratulate on your Camino in Santiago.
Buen Camino
Claudia

Just a reminder that the OP is asking specifically about the journey from Australia to Spain. That journey is quite different from other routes from Europe or North America - the length, the type/place of connections, the servicing airlines, and the rules and policies about luggage. Everyone's experience on other routes is of limited value.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just a remindrt that the OP is asking specifically about the journey from Australia to Spain. That journey is quite different from other routes from Europe or North America - the length, the type/place of connections, the servicing airlines, and the rules and policies about luggage. Everyone's experience on other routes is of limited value.

Sorry to tell you but there are so few differences it's not worth mentioning.

Posts above already mentioned possible cabin baggage restrictions.

Whether your connection is madrid or singapore, (assuming you're on the same ticket) checked bags will go ahead and handluggage you'll have to carry.

Source: i flew Sydney to Dublin with no problems, but my bags were delayed a day and a half in madrid when flying Dublin to Almeria

We flew Qatar from Melbourne last year.
We both took our packs as carry-on. Mine was a 36lt, my friends was much bigger than that, but it fit in the overhead. He wasn't even questioned about his pack, even on the much smaller plane for our final leg. The only issue we both had was our first/last legs with Qantas on a Dash 8 - our packs didn't fit in the overhead, or properly under the seat, but nothing was said by the flight crew.
We don't use poles, but would go with checking them in a tube if we did.

Hi Caminantes,

Buen Camino
Nando
We only fly Qatar
Carry on always ...........................we shorten minor straps [ waist and length ] with duct tape
When we arrive at the check in ......we might be wearing extra clothes. [ fleece etc ] with the backpack over one shoulder . I buy all my shaving creams etc when there in StJPP
We have never had a problem in a decade.
I have a Deuter 42l , wife a 32l Osprey.
You will be on the 777's and should have no problems
They will put a tag on your shoulder strap for Doha transfer .

Buy your poles there and leave them @ Muxia albergue with the other 100's
Relax , have good weather and we envy you.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
This is what I want to do for exactly the reason you said. Where did you get the shipping tube from. Are you poles fixed or telescopic? Many thanks.
I got the shipping tube at an office supply store. My poles telescope. I taped everything together so things didn’t rattle around inside the tube.

I had plenty of time before I had to catch my train. I did have to look in the oversized baggage area for the shipping tube though.

You could tie the straps and maybe if it has a rain cover put that over it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We only fly Qatar
Carry on always ...........................we shorten minor straps [ waist and length ] with duct tape
When we arrive at the check in ......we might be wearing extra clothes. [ fleece etc ] with the backpack over one shoulder . I buy all my shaving creams etc when there in StJPP
We have never had a problem in a decade.
I have a Deuter 42l , wife a 32l Osprey.
You will be on the 777's and should have no problems
They will put a tag on your shoulder strap for Doha transfer .

Buy your poles there and leave them @ Muxia albergue with the other 100's
Relax , have good weather and we envy you.
Thanks for the note 😀 can you tell me how tall is your 42l. I have a 36l osprey with a frame that is 60cm and Qatar only accepts 50cm.
Saludos

Thanks for the note 😀 can you tell me how tall is your 42l. I have a 36l osprey with a frame that is 60cm and Qatar only accepts 50cm.
Saludos
My Deuter 42l is 60cm
I repeat , they have never stopped me with this as “carry on” in over a decade.
If you want to put crap in the top then the 60 cm increases .
That’s why toiletries are purchased on arrival .
I don’t have a favourite shampoo 🤫🤫😉

The dearest clothing in here in Australia , be 7-8kg
Please note the people ahead of you once ticket allocation commences 3 hours ahead.
Have a look at the bags these guys will be placing below.
Your backpack is non existent .

*****It takes 30 minutes “”””with “”””carry on to exit Madrid airport.
Make it easy for yourself

My Deuter 42l is 60cm
I repeat , they have never stopped me with this as “carry on” in over a decade.
If you want to put crap in the top then the 60 cm increases .
That’s why toiletries are purchased on arrival .
I don’t have a favourite shampoo 🤫🤫😉

The dearest clothing in here in Australia , be 7-8kg
Please note the people ahead of you once ticket allocation commences 3 hours ahead.
Have a look at the bags these guys will be placing below.
Your backpack is non existent .

*****It takes 30 minutes “”””with “”””carry on to exit Madrid airport.
Make it easy for yourself
Very lucky
They are doing more checks on carry ons now from the UK

Hey there, are you traveling after? If not, stop reading now lol. We came from New Zealand and our first experience on the trip was our Camino, but we had travel booked after. Anticipating possible lost luggage, our smaller pack was carry on and contained the things we could not replace (eg broken in trail shoes and perfect socks) or didn’t want to replace (eg clothing and underwear we knew worked for us). Our larger pack (which we knew we could replace if lost) was packed with the less crucial clothing etc, and placed inside our checked in hybrid trolley bag , along with holiday clothes etc for after Camino. Fortunately for us, everything arrived with us at Barcelona. Our two backpacks were then prepared for our Camino and everything else was sent forward in the trolley bag to Ivan in Santiago. When traveling after Camino, the little pack was stored in the bigger pack and we lived out of the trolley bag. Worked really well for us. Buen Camino

Hi Caminantes,

Buen Camino
Nando
Last year when I bought a new Backpack at a reliable place in Canada the person in charge of hiking equipment went online to check the requirements for Air Canada and was able to confirm my backpack would be allowed in the plane compartment. All was good.

I would advise placing your hold luggage rucksack into a lightweight rucksack storage bag. I had a pristine 35litre rucksack I had only used a couple of times. Yes, I did the straps up snug and tucked away any excess strapping. When I picked it up at the destination carousel, it had black scuffs all over it (it was red) and abrasions on the meshed bottle side pockets. It had aged 5 years during the flight. I think they must have played football with it on the runway tarmac. At the time I just thought, well sh*t happens and left it. Thinking back, I should have reported it. So, a rucksack storage bag next time 👍

You could always take your phone, essential medications and credit cards, wear your walking clothes and buy everything else on arrival. That might save a lot of heart searching as to what to pack. I've done that a couple of times when visiting family, but no reason it wouldn't work for going for a walk in a civilized country.

Saludos
When we get to the check in counter with only a back pack ................ you then get your booking papers and passports from the pocket of the said back pack.
They will not ask you to place underneath
Qatar from Australia are not Ryan / Easy Jet etc .........they know you are on a 24 hour flight.
Believe me.

Hi Caminantes,

Buen Camino
Nando
I simply took a carrier bag as my “day bag” and did a cellophane wrap at the airport . It was fine - I also hid an AirTag in my bag as it is so essential. I carried my pack for my two week stint, my father had his couriered day by day to save his back- ideal for him. I like the challenge of it- even though some days were tough. Heading back in 3 weeks to complete it- hopefully . Buen Camino

We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a chance of getting lost and not arriving with me.
It happens (been there done that but not on Qatar).

On Qatar Airlines you are allowed hold luggage, so make use of it.

Check in a cheap bag with all the stuff you can replace in Spain if you have to – e.g. heavy toiletries and clothing – also hiking poles and knives that aren’t allowed in cabin bags –

then carry on your (now very light and compressed) backpack with irreplaceable stuff like medication, compact first aid kit and superlightultraexpensivesleepingbag –

and wear your hiking boots, fleece and raincoat . . .

i.e. anything you really don't want to lose.

We're facing the same dilemma with our flight from LA to Madrid on IBERIA. The rucksack idea is interesting. Perhaps something fairly inexpensive and post it forward to Santiago? We're going to post our trolleys ahead from our starting point in Leon, so stuffing it in one should work. FWIW, we also have APPLE AIR TAGS in everything!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Just tie the straps. This came up recently on the forum, Spain has enough issues dealing with massive amounts of plastic waste without us adding to it!
You can of course get proper bags to put your backpack in (I have one for my larger rucksack), however you would need to then post that ahead to Santiago. Which of course is an option as you could then use it for the journey home.
Should you wish you could get a cheap duffle or laundry bag or similar to put it in.
Hi, this will be my first walk on Camino Frances. A friend is joining me in Sarria but is looking at where to send her suitcase while she completes her walk. I read that you mentioned sending ahead by post to Santiago. Is there a specific address that she can use to send her suitcase in Santiago?

Hi Caminantes,

Buen Camino
Nando
I've done both. First with checked baggage that worked fine. The next couple with just carry on (cheaper flight that way), which meant I needed to buy poles on arrival. Next Camino will be with my daughter. She'll be carrying a smaller backpack (30L) that fits in carry on. Mine will be a similar volume but a little too long for carry on. So we'll check one bag and carry on the other. For the flight we can mix up the contents so all the essentials are in the carry on and if the checked one gets lost we can get by.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Depending on where you are flying from, and through, you should also check whether your luggage will be checked all the way through to your final destination. Airline and airport regulations about this have changed in recent years. If you need to check in again en route, be prepared to wait a long time for your bag to come out of your originating flight and then join a long queue to check it back in for your next flight. Adding the time to go through immigration and security, there is a very, very real risk of missing your connecting flight to Spain (especially if your originating flight from home has been delayed), unless you have a connection time of 6+ hours. On several occasions, including once flying Qatar to Spain in 2022, I most definitely would have missed my connection if I had checked in luggage, which thankfully I didn’t.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have flown with Qatar twice from Australia. Both times I carried on my backpack 38 Litre Osprey Eja with rigid frame. One time I packed walking poles and pocket knife in a cylinder that got checked in. The second time I bought them there with toiletries. One time I had to check in my backpack on the return because I purchased a pull along case for shopping. I got the pack wrapped in plastic at the airport. I must say it was nice not carrying my backpack whilst in transit and having to place it through security X-ray.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back