• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Being awakened in the dark ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

howardd5

I have heard and been been plagued by pilgrims who get up at five AM ( or earlier) rattle their plastic and scour the sleeping bunks with a head lamp and generally make a nuisance of themselves. Well it’s hard to control when you wake up , but how to limit the aggravation? I thought of perhaps bringing a cloth pendant, maybe 18 to 24 inches by 10 inches that says, NO ALARMS BEFORE 6:30 , pin it to a door casing ,roll it up and hang it at the next albergue . What do you think?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I don't think it will stop people from getting up early and waking anyone up and it will do more harm than good. If they won't wake up with an alarm, they can still wake up naturally and still make some noise and wake you up. Not everyone will be super quiet and careful, and even if they'll try their best, it will still wake you up sometime.

Better to just prepare yourself for people making noise (snoring!, bathroom breaks, packing bags) and using a flash light to find their belongings. I am a terrible sleeper and worried a lot about the dorms and this behavior, but good ear plugs and a buff over my eyes did wonders. Sometimes I woke up when the rest got up, sometimes I woke up in an (almost) empty dorm at 7:30. Ear plugs saved me from a lot of terrible nights at the camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have heard and been been plagued by pilgrims who get up at five AM ( or earlier) rattle their plastic and scour the sleeping bunks with a head lamp and generally make a nuisance of themselves. Well it’s hard to control when you wake up , but how to limit the aggravation? I thought of perhaps bringing a cloth pendant, maybe 18 to 24 inches by 10 inches that says, NO ALARMS BEFORE 6:30 , pin it to a door casing ,roll it up and hang it at the next albergue . What do you think?
If it makes you feel better, bring two.

Whilst I sympathise with the sentiment you might be asked who, precisely, put you in charge.

Like Lear, I fear you will be raging at the wind.

I think the albergue owners can make up rules if they want to, but pilgrims should not attempt to do so. Instead - focus on how you will prevent yourself from being woken up. I wear silicone ear plugs and they help a lot. And you can bring an eye mask or use your buff to cover your eyes when you are trying to sleep and keep the light out. If you are on a lower bunk - you can even sometimes hang your towel from the bunk above you in a way that will help prevent light from being shined in your eyes (safety pins come in handy if you can figure out how to attach the towel to the upper bed from. But be careful not to block the ladder or infringe on the upper bunkmates space. I also look for a bed away from hallway/bathroom doors when I can (but if you go to the bathroom at night then you want to be NEAR them to avoid disturbing others. And if it REALLY bothers you - then you might consider booking private rooms. Personally - I get up early so early risers don't usually bother me too much, but on the opposite end of the spectrum, I like to go to bed before 10pm and am trying to sleep when others are still moving about. You wouldn't like me dictating that they must go to bed early too, would you?

Also - if you are walking with a group of pilgrims that is constantly exhibiting behaviors that bother you - you can walk faster or slower to allow separation so you get new roommates in your next dorm. Staying off stage can help get away from crowds that are bothering you.

A cloth banner announcing your self imposed rules on others staying at an albergue? An albergue which is a place you voluntarily agreed to stay in knowing full well that you will live communally with other people, strangers and encounter all manner of habits and activity, some of which you don't agree with?
Yeah, bad idea. I never use an alarm in an albergue but if I saw a banner like that hanging up that might be the first time I set one for about 0530 just to see what the banner flyer was going to do about it. :D
Seriously, either just deal with it or stay in private accommodations.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Better to just prepare yourself for people making noise (snoring!, bathroom breaks, packing bags) and using a flash light to find their belongings. I am a terrible sleeper and worried a lot about the dorms and this behavior, but good ear plugs and a buff over my eyes did wonders. Sometimes I woke up when the rest got up, sometimes I woke up in an (almost) empty dorm at 7:30. Ear plugs saved me from a lot of terrible nights at the camino.
Well said! I use wax earplugs and I can’t hear a thing when I have them in, so all the albergue noise problems are solved. I don’t quite understand why this doesn’t work for other people (though admittedly I am a heavy sleeper). Foam earplugs are useless IMO.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It will make no difference to people's behavior, and probably set some of them against you - for being the self appointed rule maker.
If you stay in places with communal sleeping, accept what that will mean. You'll encounter snorers, bag rustlers (at all hours), people who go to bed late - the list goes on.
An alternative is to book private rooms, buy decent ear plugs or get used to it.
If you walk in a hot month you may want to walk early yourself to get kms in before the day heats up.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you stay in places with communal sleeping, accept what that will mean. You'll encounter snorers, bag rustlers (at all hours), people who go to bed late - the list goes on.
I've got an addition. Turning on the overhead lights at 1:00 AM to get a blanket.

i have done most of my caminos during the winter,although i had done summer ones also.for myself,as i am an early riser,i pack all my kit away the night before.leave out what you require for the morning.either use touch or a red hedlamp to pick up your kit and quietly leave the room.there is always somewhere in the albergue to get dressed.
in my opinion putting a flag up is a red rag and a no no.do not forget you might have to share other albergues numerous times till the end.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think it will stop people from getting up early and waking anyone up and it will do more harm than good. If they won't wake up with an alarm, they can still wake up naturally and still make some noise and wake you up. Not everyone will be super quiet and careful, and even if they'll try their best, it will still wake you up sometime.

When in Rome, do as…… cant we all just get along?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Its part of experience, annoying yes, in my case going early to bed, trying to rest as much as I can and leave early, Im an early riser

Knowing when you enter shared pilgrim accommodation that you are sharing with others from all walks of life with all sorts of sleeping habits in a low cost facility run mostly by volunteers …..Something tells me you’d be better off booking private rooms! Buen Camino!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Well established by now: no one thinks your signage is a good idea and I agree.

The wise pilgrim has only the essentials with them. If they need to search around in the dark for their things, sooner than later, they will leave something important behind. If they are able to learn, perhaps they will be less disruptive on subsequent, early mornings.

The early risers that I most admired were the ones who went to bed, nearly dressed for the next day, all packed except for tooth brush; their departure unnoticed except for the lightest of sleepers.

You are right about one thing: getting your proper rest is important.

If you are awakened early and cannot go back to sleep, do not just lay in your bunk with angry thoughts… get up and go.

If none of the suggested remedies work for you, perhaps you would enjoy a mid-morning siesta.

Eye cover and ear plugs. Or private accommodation gets my vote. Once in an albergue my husband and I, and everyone else in the room, were asked if we could plan to sleep in the next morning as the pilgrim was invited to a breakfast at 8!!! It only made my husband want to rattle his chip bag at 6am.

As soon as one attempts to control another's behavior, it goes wrong.
When you choose to lodge in a group setting, you voluntarily accept what comes with it--the good and the bad.
People are different. I wake up between 4:30 and 5 am EVERY morning; I can do nothing about it as it is my biological clock. My wife wakes up around 8 am EVERY morning; she can do nothing about it.
Welcome to life. We cannot create our own individual, particular world and accept everyone else to comply with it. It has taken me decades to figure it out.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I would suggest you book a private room! You can control you, but you cannot control others! IMHO!

Good luck with that one! Unfortunately, despite the altruistic aims of going on a pilgrimage, people are often unaware of others, or they just think of themselves and their own journey. It's also part and parcel of albergue dormitory life to hear all kinds of sounds, smell all kinds of odours and occasionally witness all kinds of activities.

Suggested solutions:
1. Take good quality and comfortable earplugs and use them.

2. Unsavoury smells? Well, we all smell of something, after a few minutes you hardly notice...

3. Unsightly or unwanted activities: look the other way or just put up with it, it won't last long anyway

4. Mobile phone lights, headlamps and switching on/off of dorm lights - use eyemasks when sleeping.

5. Phone alarms: see no.1, alternatively, find the phone and put it outside the dorm out of earshot...I say this, because I've seen it done, but then the ensuing row made more noise than the phone alarm did in the first place 🙉

A good practice is to sort your backpack for the next day, not first thing in the morning. But there is always the wash-bag, phone charger, etc. that needs to be stowed and so rustlings are a given, you kind of get used to it after a few days.

For those not willing to suffer at least some measure of disturbance, lack of sleep, general fatigue and discomfort; then perhaps the Camino experience is not the right choice. I found that it made the experience all the more enriching, because it taught me to be tolerant (although I had my moments of failure on that score), patient and more accepting instead of complaining. In the end, my overwhelming feeling of gratitude, for being able to walk the Camino de Santiago, far outweighed any minor inconveniences along the way.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back