• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best Restaurants in Santiago for Authentic Cuisine

koilife

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CF '13; CF/Salvador/Ingles '16; Portugues '22
I have some very dear friends arriving in SdC on the Frances at the same time as my son and I are arriving from the Ingles. I'd like to take them out for a truly authentic Spanish cuisine experience (they've eaten exclusively pilgrim fare for the last 30 days).

I'd like to keep things somewhere in the 50€ per person range, but am willing to go higher for the right place. Of value would be a place that allows for variety and more smaller dishes, even samplers, rather than a large dishes that limit the range of what people can try.

Suggestions? Please include rationale or details.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
http://dezaseis.com/
Con culler opened 4 months ago and offers refined meals.
Then there's the "pick your fish/seafood and have it prepared the way you like it" at the market, but for lunch.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Not in the €50 price range but full of pilgrims, between the cathedral and the pilgrims office and with the most wonderful service and delightful cheap but oh so tasty food is Restaurante Tavara. Nothing but praise for the 3 meals I ate there. Once at €8.50 and twice splashing out at €14. Pretty much guaranteed to either have part of your Camino family walk in, be queuing outside or passing by on their way to or from the pilgrims office.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
So, we ended up at Abastos 2.0 where they had essentially a tasting menu for the evening (it changes nightly). It was absolutely extraordinary, probably on the top 10 list of meals in my life. Our waiter was one of the family that owns and runs it. He explained each of the dishes and how to eat it (not obvious with a few of them).

All totaled, with the full meal, wine, and pre-meal drinks, I think we landed right around 40€ per person, possibly a bit more (my friends swiped the check before I knew what they were doing).

So, we ended up at Abastos 2.0 where they had essentially a tasting menu for the evening (it changes nightly). It was absolutely extraordinary, probably on the top 10 list of meals in my life. Our waiter was one of the family that owns and runs it. He explained each of the dishes and how to eat it (not obvious with a few of them).

All totaled, with the full meal, wine, and pre-meal drinks, I think we landed right around 40€ per person, possibly a bit more (my friends swiped the check before I knew what they were doing).

Duly noted for October! Thanks for the recommendation.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, I’m starting my Camino Frances on May 12. I’ve booked my first night in SJPDP, but I’m starting to worry I need to book more. My plan was to take it day by day and just turn up, but lots...
Hello all. Here to give a brief account of my (and many others) first day on the Camino on May 1. The trip to Roncesvalles was tough. I went Valcarlos route because napoleon was very ill advised...
Did you meet Bjørn Krohn? Died aged 48 in an albergue, I don't know where, tuesday 21th. I didn't know this until now.
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...
I am wondering how you disconnect, in part, from the world. I have a couple of reasons that I need to be accessible but, I don't want to be constantly connected on this journey. Ideas?
Can anyone tell me if food is available there… anyone stayed recently? Cheers

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back