• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Booking a train

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
What is the likelihood of trains from Sahagún to Leon being booked out on Saturday or Sunday? If I can just buy a ticket on the day I’ll stick with the flexibility, but I’d book if there was a chance of not getting a ticket. Thanks for any help

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
What is the likelihood of trains from Sahagún to Leon being booked out on Saturday or Sunday? If I can just buy a ticket on the day I’ll stick with the flexibility, but I’d book if there was a chance of not getting a ticket. Thanks for any help
Hi Rachel
I’m probably no help but I would err on the side of flexibility. If luck isn’t on your side trainwise ., there are a couple of buses Sahagún to Léon.

Buen Camino
Annie

I just checked for upcoming weekend and on both days there are 8 trains so most likely not all the seats will be sold out.
I wouldn't rely on buses. I can only find one ALSA bus on Saturday at 12:45 and none on Sunday. Maybe there are some local bus companies though.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I couldn’t find busses for Sunday either but if I can try to get there early I should be fine for a train.

I've fronted up at the last minute and gotten a seat. But that's just one person one time.
Maybe PM Rebekah. She would know.

I couldn’t find busses for Sunday either but if I can try to get there early I should be fine for a train.
Train departure times are: 08:49, 13:58, 17:15, 17:43, 19:39, 20:26 and 22:35 so no need to hurry. Ride takes half an hour.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
13:58 is the one I want to be on after walking 20km from on the Madrid route as family arrives at the bus station at 3:30 after flying from NZ.
Might try to get a bit closer to Sahagún the day before so it’s not so tight time wise.

13:58 is the one I want to be on after walking 20km from on the Madrid route as family arrives at the bus station at 3:30 after flying from NZ.
Might try to get a bit closer to Sahagún the day before so it’s not so tight time wise.
That would be albergue in Grajal de Campos then. Not to miss because you will have the whole palace (yes palace :)) for yourself. I slept there in 2014 when only bathrooms and showers were built but the experience wandering around the palace in the night is unforgettable.

I don't want to post any photos to spoil the surprise if you decide to stay there. But better call Friday morning if you plan to be there on Saturday. I don't know where exactly the keys to the albergue are now but when I was there the mayor had them.
https://www.gronze.com/castilla-y-leon/leon/grajal-campos/albergue-peregrinos-grajal-campos

Hey, Rachael,

Just read your blog post about not being able to obtain albergue keys in Penaflor de Hornija. All I can say - bad preparation. I posted all the info back in 2014 ;)
It's pinned in Madrid subforum.
I guess guys at CSJ doesn't read our posts. Anyway that CSJ CdM guidebook wasn't any good in 2014 and since then I'm doing my own guidebooks.

But I'm really surprised that the bar didn't want to do a sandwich. I can understand they wouldn't prepare hot meal in the middle of the day (I ate nice dinner there though) but a sandwich???

Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hey, Rachael,

Just read your blog post about not being able to obtain albergue keys in Penaflor de Hornija. All I can say - bad preparation. I posted all the info back in 2014 ;)
It's pinned in Madrid subforum.
I guess guys at CSJ doesn't read our posts. Anyway that CSJ CdM guidebook wasn't any good in 2014 and since then I'm doing my own guidebooks.

But I'm really surprised that the bar didn't want to do a sandwich. I can understand they wouldn't prepare hot meal in the middle of the day (I ate nice dinner there though) but a sandwich???

Buen Camino!
Guilty as charged! I’m not even carrying a guidebook, just some notes I cobbled together for myself - and I only went back through three years of forum posts!!
The person I was with had notes that said to go to a particular bar but it was closed. I have the phone number now;-)
I, too, was very surprised at the bar lady’s unwillingness to knock up a sandwich. I didn’t write it on the blog but I even asked if she just had some bread I could buy as I had some soup packets. But she was adamant. I understand 5pm is not a usual meal time, but I wasn’t exactly asking for a menu del dia! It is the only time I have ever experienced anything like it in Spain.

Guilty as charged! I’m not even carrying a guidebook, just some notes I cobbled together for myself - and I only went back through three years of forum posts!!
The person I was with had notes that said to go to a particular bar but it was closed. I have the phone number now;-)
I, too, was very surprised at the bar lady’s unwillingness to knock up a sandwich. I didn’t write it on the blog but I even asked if she just had some bread I could buy as I had some soup packets. But she was adamant. I understand 5pm is not a usual meal time, but I wasn’t exactly asking for a menu del dia! It is the only time I have ever experienced anything like it in Spain.
The key is with the mayor who lives maybe 10 meters from albergue. If you exit the albergue and turn to the right you would be looking at the red brick corner house. That's where the keys are :)

I'm really surprised nobody could tell you about the mayor because it was the bar (on the main plaza) where I got this info. And overall I found people on Madrid (and Invierno) the nicest on all Caminos. This lady sure had a rough day I guess...

Anyway I know that didn't and won't ruin your Camino :)

Well @KinkyOne not stopping in Penaflor has its advantages. After an amazing lunch at La Tata in Cuenca de Campos today I convinced the guy who has ended up walking the same stages as me to go on to Villalon so that we’ll make your palace easily tomorrow. Now I’d better blog about it before we go to the cheese museum and mass. Sadly the pharmacy under the arcades is no longer open and the bodegas are not open today.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Well @KinkyOne not stopping in Penaflor has its advantages. After an amazing lunch at La Tata in Cuenca de Campos today I convinced the guy who has ended up walking the same stages as me to go on to Villalon so that we’ll make your palace easily tomorrow. Now I’d better blog about it before we go to the cheese museum and mass. Sadly the pharmacy under the arcades is no longer open and the bodegas are not open today.

Just been reading your interesting blog,Rachael . I think I met Danish, Berndt with his trolley last year on the Sanabrese. If you get the chance please give him my regards
Heather from West Australia.

Just been reading your interesting blog,Rachael . I think I met Danish, Berndt with his trolley last year on the Sanabrese. If you get the chance please give him my regards
Heather from West Australia.
He’s a day ahead, but if I catch him I”’ll Say hi from you’

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back