• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Train bookings

CaminoKy

Time of past OR future Camino
2016 CF, 2017 CP
Hello, it's been about 7 years since my last Camino, and this will be the first time I have had to book trains within Spain.
There seems to be a few different train booking sites. Booking from Australia. I want to book a fast train from Santiago de Compostela to Madrid and Madrid to Cordoba within the one day. Which is the best app/booking system to use? Looking on one site it tells me that bookings can't be made, Rail Ninja says you can reserve. It is for 20th May. I thought you could book within 90 days. Confused and a little stressed.
Thanks in advance for advice.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I wouldn't use Rail Ninja. Lots of negative reviews on TripAdvisor.

Either use the official Renfe site or a trusted site like TrainLine.

I would book on the site of Renfe. Don't expect it to be client friendly though. The most annoying thing is that you'll never know when tickets become available. I also tried to book for the 24th of May to no avail.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
There's some factors on the Santiago to Madrid route this Spring. There are works at Chamartin station that will reduce the number of train times offered although the number of tickets will be the same (fewer trains, but more cars added). Also because of the delay (not related to the works at Chamartín) of a new variable gauge high speed train, tickets have been very slow to be released this Spring. If you get tired of waiting on the train schedules or dealing with the Renfe website, you can probably fly and then take a bus or train to Cordoba from Barajas more cheaply.

I use Trainline to buy tickets for train in Spain

I would book on the site of Renfe. Don't expect it to be client friendly though. The most annoying thing is that you'll never know when tickets become available. I also tried to book for the 24th of May to no avail.
Besides the fact you couldn't book for May 24th (I am not sure of the correct time frame but Renfe only list schedules for about 5 or 6 weeks out. As an example if you looked today you may only see schedules through the end of April. I am sure there is someone on the forum which knows this information better than I do. Have you encountered other issues with their website or app. I have booked through the app and never had an issue.

Besides the fact you couldn't book for May 24th (I am not sure of the correct time frame but Renfe only list schedules for about 5 or 6 weeks out. As an example if you looked today you may only see schedules through the end of April. I am sure there is someone on the forum which knows this information better than I do. Have you encountered other issues with their website or app. I have booked through the app and never had an issue.
Yes, they have been slow and received criticism in the media due to this lag. Mainly Renfe is blaming the delays on the two factors I mentioned in my post above. As a peace offering though they are offering a lot of discounted tickets, although when they finally went on sale for April, there were long waits online and also website glitches and failures.

In other parts of the country (not Asturias or Galicia), ticket sales are not impacted and are available longer out from departure.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
This is a really helpful conversation for a newbie! Thank you. Will leave the train bookings until nearer the time (29th May) and possibly explore if there are any spaces on minibuses going to Tui on that day for 2 of us! Other alternative is to book a taxi for 4 and offer places to others to share if we can. Let me know if anyone is interested.

Like @J Willhaus explained, there are several things going on, but to be honest that happens quite often with RENFE. Another thing is the delay with the delivery of high speed trains meant for Asturias - Madrid. With other companies (SNCF in France for example), you know when to buy tickets. With SNCF it is always 3 months in advance. With RENFE it is always trial and error.

Two other examples of lack of customer friendliness:
- If you search for Santiago - Córdoba, RENFE will tell you that they can't find any connection. They are simply not able to combine different connections. So you would first have to search for Santiago - Madrid and then for Madrid - Córdoba.
- I need a ticket from Santiago to A Gudiña (a station on the AVE-connection between A Coruña and Madrid). If I try to book Santiago - A Gudiña in (say) the next 2 weeks, I either find no option at all or a very expensive one. If I try Santiago - Madrid I do find connections and they are often cheaper. These are trains that also stop in A Gudiña. Which means that I would have to buy a ticket for Santiago - Madrid and then get off in A Gudiña. That is something I figured out, but most people would just assume that the connection between Santiago and A Gudiña doesn't exist.

Like @J Willhaus explained, there are several things going on, but to be honest that happens quite often with RENFE. Another thing is the delay with the delivery of high speed trains meant for Asturias - Madrid. With other companies (SNCF in France for example), you know when to buy tickets. With SNCF it is always 3 months in advance. With RENFE it is always trial and error.

- If you search for Santiago - Córdoba, RENFE will tell you that they can't find any connection. They are simply not able to combine different connections. So you would first have to search for Santiago - Madrid and then for Madrid - Córdoba.
- I need a ticket from Santiago to A Gudiña (a station on the AVE-connection between A Coruña and Madrid). If I try to book Santiago - A Gudiña in (say) the next 2 weeks, I either find no option at all or a very expensive one. If I try Santiago - Madrid I do find connections and they are often cheaper. These are trains that also stop in A Gudiña. Which means that I would have to buy a ticket for Santiago - Madrid and then get off in A Gudiña. That is something I figured out, but most people would just assume that the connection between Santiago and A Gudiña doesn't exist.

You can also use the Rome to Rio function to search for connections. I usually use Trainline to buy tickets, because the unfriendly Renfe system has not liked my credit card in the past. It is definitely a trial and error way of learning to buy or book some routes.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
need a ticket from Santiago to A Gudiña (a station on the AVE-connection between A Coruña and Madrid). If I try to book Santiago - A Gudiña in (say) the next 2 weeks, I
Thanks to, I think, @henrythedog, I learned that the algorithms on both bahn.de and trainline are much better and will bring up journeys with more than two stops. You can use them to search and then go back and buy the tickets on Renfe, but if it’s not coming up as one ticket you would need to buy several segments separately.

@peregrina2000 How could I forget bahn.de! I always used them when trying to find connections in France, but it never ocurred to me that I could use them for Spain as well. Thanks!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

You are right about what you say. I am sure the hassle stinks. Frustration too. I too have encountered the issue of connections. I fortunately only take a train or bus getting to the start or returning back from my Camino. If I can’t get a direct train or bus I go to Rome2Rio or Google to see what the connection possibilities are . Then check the times on the company sites to see what is feasible. I have also learned that sometimes it is actually cheaper to fly, but to take the train.

I have also learned that sometimes it is actually cheaper to fly, but to take the train.

Yes, that is another (more universal) issue. I have stopped flying within (mainland) Spain because of the climate crisis, but that often means longer and more expensive journeys.

Yes, that is another (more universal) issue. I have stopped flying within (mainland) Spain because of the climate crisis, but that often means longer and more expensive journeys.
You can always buy that carbon offset. To be honest I am not sure how that helps. Maybe someone can educate me.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Thank you. I had difficulty with the RENFE site when booking tickets in France so I have used Trainline. Will see how I go for the tickets in Spain.

Thanks. Yes, I couldn't work out the Renfe site when trying to book tickets from Paris to SJPP so I ended up using Trainline. I will try again for the Spanish trains. I agree not user friendly. I am keeping an eye out as you can't really book that far ahead either.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks. Yes, I couldn't work out the Renfe site when trying to book tickets from Paris to SJPP so I ended up using Trainline. I will try again for the Spanish trains. I agree not user friendly. I am keeping an eye out as you can't really book that far ahead either.
RENFE do not operate trains in France which would account for your difficulties.

For trains in France try: https://www.sncf-connect.com/en-en/

Recently I was looking for a train from Malaga to Cádiz, RENFE came up with nada. The reason being that for most routes the system does not handle connections - which is strange because it's not unusual.

Seat61.com provides a lot of useful information about trains all across the world and the three popular booking sites (in Europe) are Omio, thetrainline and RailEurope.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Recently I was looking for a train from Malaga to Cádiz, RENFE came up with nada. The reason being that for most routes the system does not handle connections - which is strange because it's not unusual.

Seat61.com provides a lot of useful information about trains all across the world and the three popular booking sites (in Europe) are Omio, thetrainline and RailEurope.
Thank you. I have also been looking in this area. I want to travel from Cadiz to Granada and it seems that I have to backtrack through Seville, Cordoba and then to Granada, rather than being able to go straight across. 🤪

Seat61 is a great site! I find Bahn.de a great site for euro travel (not just Germany) though can’t say I have used it for Spanish trains. Only schedules of course not booking.

I find train travel in Spain quite frustrating as you often have to take a circuitous route. It’s ok north to south or if you are hubbing through MAD or BCN but otherwise…i have done a few ‘dog legs’!

I know it’s tricky and that Spain is a physically ‘round’ ‘country but when I compare it to say Italy in terms of connectivity (of course with their ‘geographical shape’ that can start a train at Naples run it to Milan and stop and 3 or 4 major cities) it doesn’t compare well!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back