• Some parts of the forum are not loading as they should. We are working on it.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Booking ahead and transport to SJPP

jessebob

HI,
Im flying into Madrid and would like to make my way to SJPP to start the Camino. I have received many different answers on the best way to get to SJPP. Has anyone done this before and how was it done? I know I can take a cab, but it seems expensive.

Also, I start on April 1st. Seeing as this is Easter week, should I book ahead to find a bed in the Albergues?

Thanks

Jesse Bob Harper

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Do you have your tickets to Madrid yet? If not, you might want to consider flying to London or Paris, then to Biarritz (BIQ) instead. Air France has several flights from CDG or Orly & you can search their site for the $71US ones. From there, you can take the train to SJPdP.

If you've already booked for Madrid, I think you can fly into Pamplona then take a shared cab or bus to SJPdP.

dg

Madrid to SJPP

I suggest this route plan:

From Madrid take a flight to San Sebastian. You can book a ticket at ww.spanair.com
From San Sebastian take a cab across the French Border to Gare de Hendaye (2 km from the airport)
From Hendaye take the train to Bayonne. From Bayonne the train to SJPP
You cab download the time table at this site http://www.ter-sncf.com/aquitaine/V2/index.asp

Buen Camino
Ariel

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Madrid to SJPP

You could get the bus from Madrid to Pamplona see http://www.movelia.es for the timetable and details, then get the 6pm bus from Pamplona to Roncesvalles. At Roncesvalles a taxi meets the bus to take pilgrims to SJPP.

madrid to SJPP

take the RENFE train Madrid to Hendaya (Hendaye), a French railways train to Bayonne for another local train to Saint Jean Pied de Port.

That is the way I would do it regarding cost and time.

buen camino

Back