• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino De Sabbatical

RJE

Time of past OR future Camino
August-September 2024
I have a 6-week sabbatical in 2024 and the CF looks like a perfect way to spend it. Thanks to all the info on this forum I have a grasp of what to expect while on the Camino. It’s getting there and back, how many days, etc. that has me unsure….

I’m a fit 47 year old who’s completed a marathon and many half marathons. 15-20 miles per day in September seems reasonable, correct?

I’ve never been to France or Spain, so I’d like to fly into Paris from the US and out of Madrid. Is that feasible or does it create too much extra travel?

Is it best to not book the return flight in advance and just play it by ear?

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, and welcome to the Forum. By "FC" do you mean the Camino Frances? And starting from where? (Saint Jean Pied de Port is not the only place to start. You could start before in France, or after in Spain.)

For planning, you would be wise to start with one of the many guide books, or look at gronze.com for ideas on stage lengths and stopping points. Gronze is in Spanish but it is easily understood or translated with your browser. (But be aware that it will give you strange translations of place names that should not be translated!)

Overall fitness is helpful, but walking with a pack is a different activity from running. You should include regular walking in your training, and try walking even 10-15 miles/day for 3 days in a row with a backpack. That will help you get an idea of what distance would be comfortable for you. Also consider whether you can add some flexibility into your time frame. Many guide books suggest about 30-35 days, but this does not allow much time for recovery from jet lag, rest/sightseeing days, injuries, or unexpected events. I would recommend taking most of your 6 week sabbatical for your trip.

Compare prices of return fares - look at the price of flying over a few months in advance, but then look at the price of the return ticket purchased only a week or two in advance. For me, flying from western Canada, buying a return ticket is much cheaper than two one-way tickets. The price of a "multi-city ticket" such as flying from the US to Paris and back from Madrid is very close to the price of a regular return ticket.

Last edited:
Thank you. Very helpful.

Yes, I meant to say CF and I would start from SJPdP.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
While i agree that running and hiking are a bit of a different challenge, with some decent fitness the latter is usually easier. I would not see to many problems of you not being able to do the CF in 6 weeks, but i would agree that having a few extra days as flexibility might help.
For some perspective, i did the same route in 29/34 and 28/31 days (walking/total) and while i have no problem hiking 30k or more i couldn't run a 5k if my life was depending on it.
But since you're plan is for next year, you got plenty of time preparing. I would not worry to much.

That’s good perspective. Thanks. 30 days walking and 35 total sounds like a good target. I’ve also done some rucks with a 25# weighted vest and can maintain 3 miles/hr, so a 20 mile day should be around 7 hours. Challenge will be doing it day after day.

This website is useful and has an English version. https://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/en/the-st-james-way/french-way
It isn’t as good as gronze for accommodation. I cannot speak to the time you will need to complete the CF but I finished the Via de la Plata in 34/39 days, at 58 I am definitely older and have never run a marathon. You’re right the challenge is the day after day. That’s where rest days come into play.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
There are a number 9f good sites for planning stages - but be prepared to throw out the plan once you are on the Camino.😉

Resources that I use are

And the Wise Pilgrim (I use the paid Camino Francés versión) and Buen Camino apps. I especially like the stage planning feature on Buen Camino.

That’s good perspective. Thanks. 30 days walking and 35 total sounds like a good target. I’ve also done some rucks with a 25# weighted vest and can maintain 3 miles/hr, so a 20 mile day should be around 7 hours. Challenge will be doing it day after day.
My best advice would be to begin slowly. Many injuries occur because people overestimate their fitness level/underestimate the full physical demand of walking those distances day in and day out. Speaking from experience. But having the cardio fitness background will be helpful.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I had run half and full marathons before I walked my first camino from Leon to Santiago with a 12 pound pack. The running experience is very helpful. You know about shoes and how they effective they can be, and I have only walked in trail runners on the many long distance walks I have done and have given up on the running. LOL..It so much fun to walk and experience new people and culture and food. The training LR for marathons can get boring. Hope you have a great camino!

I had run half and full marathons before I walked my first camino from Leon to Santiago with a 12 pound pack. The running experience is very helpful. You know about shoes and how they effective they can be, and I have only walked in trail runners on the many long distance walks I have done and have given up on the running. LOL..It so much fun to walk and experience new people and culture and food. The training LR for marathons can get boring. Hope you have a great camino!
Yes, the training is the worst part. I think my marathon days are behind me. Looking forward to walking in some comfy trail runners.

There are a number 9f good sites for planning stages - but be prepared to throw out the plan once you are on the Camino.😉

Resources that I use are

And the Wise Pilgrim (I use the paid Camino Francés versión) and Buen Camino apps. I especially like the stage planning feature on Buen Camino.

Much appreciated.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I’ve never been to France or Spain, so I’d like to fly into Paris from the US and out of Madrid. Is that feasible or does it create too much extra travel?

Hi RJE,

Your plan is almost exactly what I’m doing. I leave in 19 days to start my first Camino (the Frances). I bought my tickets using a combination of airline miles and credit card points. I’m flying from DC to Paris by way of Frankfurt. I booked that as a one-way because it seemed the best way to maximize my points at the time I booked. I’m flying back home out of Madrid by way of Toronto. I felt that I needed to book the return flight to not only get the best deal, but also because work will be waiting for me.

You can always book a multi-city flight (as C Clearly mentioned) or do a couple of one-way tickets if you decide to fly in and out of different places. I chose to take a long stop-over in Frankfurt so I can do a bit of a day trip out of the airport and city (I’ve been to over 50 countries but sadly never Germany…) I’ll take a couple days outside of Paris to relax and overcome the jet lag before starting in SJPP. I was in Spain about 25 years ago, but I’ve never been to Madrid, so I’m looking forward to spending the last few days of my trip relaxing and enjoying the city.

I would definitely encourage you to take advantage of the time you’re there, and if you want to see Paris and Madrid, you should definitely see Paris and Madrid. And due to time constraints, you could always just start somewhere west of SJPP to walk with whatever time you have.

I’m about your age and self-employed, so I understand the need/want to maximize the time off. I was discussing with my colleagues earlier today the immense privilege I feel at taking 7 weeks off from my “normal” life, but it seems to me that you have to make the time to do these things, or they may never happen.

I wish you well in your planning - it has honestly been one of my favorite parts… 🤷‍♀️

Buen Camino,
Stina

Thanks for sharing. I’ll be excited to hear how your Camino goes. We’ve got similar perspectives..down to using airline and hotel points, and I’ll probably be connecting through Toronto too on the way home.

Yes, we are blessed to get the time off work. Make the most of it!

I wish you all the best! This forum is a wonderful resource

Camino Frances SJPDP to Santiago fall 2023:
I am flying into and out of Madrid (from the US) as I could get the best seats at the lowest price on this route. I based my flight decisions on cost & value after an s-ton of research.

About "extra travel"- I arrive Madrid in the early morning and take a noon plane to Pamploma. I'll crash in Pamplona on trip day 2 and catch the bus to SJPDP from Pamplona on trip day 3 (the bus departs for SJPDP an hour or so before I arrive in Irun). I feel strongly I will need 2 nights rest in SJPDP before I start my Camino. I will begin my Camino on trip day 5.

I leave the US on a Wed., arrive Madrid Thurs., and start walking on Sun. It is a fair amount of "extra travel".
It can be done with fewer travel days but this is how it worked out for me. About the return- I so much wish I could have afforded to keep the date open, but 2 1-way tickets cost over double the price of 1 RT ticket. If you can afford an open return I encourage you to go with it.

I will take the train from SDC (presumably) to Madrid in enough time to allow for a 2 night stay in the capitol before flying back to the US. So.... all total I will have 7 days of "travel time".

I looked closely at Paris, Barcelona, and Porto as gateways but Madrid won out.

Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I wish you all the best! This forum is a wonderful resource

Camino Frances SJPDP to Santiago fall 2023:
I am flying into and out of Madrid (from the US) as I could get the best seats at the lowest price on this route. I based my flight decisions on cost & value after an s-ton of research.

About "extra travel"- I arrive Madrid in the early morning and take a noon plane to Pamploma. I'll crash in Pamplona on trip day 2 and catch the bus to SJPDP from Pamplona on trip day 3 (the bus departs for SJPDP an hour or so before I arrive in Irun). I feel strongly I will need 2 nights rest in SJPDP before I start my Camino. I will begin my Camino on trip day 5.

I leave the US on a Wed., arrive Madrid Thurs., and start walking on Sun. It is a fair amount of "extra travel".
It can be done with fewer travel days but this is how it worked out for me. About the return- I so much wish I could have afforded to keep the date open, but 2 1-way tickets cost over double the price of 1 RT ticket. If you can afford an open return I encourage you to go with it.

I will take the train from SDC (presumably) to Madrid in enough time to allow for a 2 night stay in the capitol before flying back to the US. So.... all total I will have 7 days of "travel time".

I looked closely at Paris, Barcelona, and Porto as gateways but Madrid won out.

Buen Camino!
Thanks for sharing. Yes, just poking around with flights I do see it can be double to leave the return open. I’ll probably book flights for both ways.

Good luck to you. What size backpack are you taking? As someone who travels a lot for work I’m jittery about not having my usual set up (roller and laptop backpack) and I wouldn’t want to have to check my backpack if it’s too big.

What size backpack are you taking? As someone who travels a lot for work I’m jittery about not having my usual set up (roller and laptop backpack) and I wouldn’t want to have to check my backpack if it’s too big.
You can peruse the Equipment and Clothes subforum, and even search within it for "backpack." Many of us find a backpack in the 30 - 40 liter range to be adequate, and most in that size range qualify as carry on. Sometimes though there can be a stiff frame sheet in the backpack that's too long for official carry on size, or some packs have a removable "brain" at the top that can be taken off to make it fit the sizing cages. In my experience on US based airlines backpacks are rarely scrutinized much. If you are buying a new backpack the manufacturer's website should list the dimensions.

If you are really concerned about travel hassle, you can buy a return ticket ro Madrid and start your walk from Pamplona (another very traditional starting point).
There are daily buses from Madrid airport to Pamplona, and also train connections. Makes travel simpler, and you can probably get a flexible tariff that may allow to change the return date if needed.

But if you are firm about starting in Saint Jean, than you indeed need a few more travel hoops.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks for sharing. Yes, just poking around with flights I do see it can be double to leave the return open. I’ll probably book flights for both ways.

Good luck to you. What size backpack are you taking? As someone who travels a lot for work I’m jittery about not having my usual set up (roller and laptop backpack) and I wouldn’t want to have to check my backpack if it’s too big.
Hi RJE -my backpack is a women's 38L Gregory Jade XS. I measured it full-on packed and it meets the carry-on criteria, It will only be about 1/2 full for the Camino. Also, it is an extra small (short torso).

You mentioned flying into Paris and then I presume you would go to SJPP by train. However, since you haven't bought your air ticket yet, you might want to look at booking your flights all the way to Biarritz (flying on the same ticket to Biarritz connecting through Paris). Biarritz airport is right by Bayonne, from where the train goes to SJPP/

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
For those who might want to transport a bag, here are the envelopes of two companies. The envelopes can be found at most places to stay along the Camino. Fill out the info and slip the money in...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back