• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino is Finished but not done Walking

Time of past OR future Camino
December 2022
My time in the EU is up and though I ‘Caminoed’ much longer and further than planned I do not feel that I am done walking yet. So I’m looking for a new place to go.

Can anyone recommend a place near the EU where I can do another walk. I’m looking for ‘Camiño style’ but it doesn’t need to be a pilgrimage. Ideally just a 2-3 week walk where there are Albergue type services available for walkers in April.

I am experienced in Nepal and if I don’t hear of a new place may well go back there. Manaslu is calling.

Thank you in advance

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Can anyone recommend a place near the EU where I can do another walk
Beware of conflating the EU and Schengen. Most EU countries are part of Schengen, but not all. Not all Schengen members are part of the EU. If you want to stay in Europe try Romania or Bulgaria or Cyprus.

If you want great walking and inexpensive accommodation try Morocco.

I am in Nepal now. As an fyi, all treks now require a guide. Except for the everest region, that seems to be in dispute at the moment.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Come to the UK! We have all kinds of long-distance walks. Some are pilgrimage routes, some just nice hiking routes, or both!

Welsh Camino or here or here: just under 2 weeks long, lush green countryside, a nice waterfall, forest trails that look like enchanted garden, and end with 3 days walking down glorious coastal path (we were lucky with the weather!). To feed the soul, you’ll learn about Medieval saints like St Winefride who has a shrine also dubbed the Welsh Lourdes, it’s a beautiful shrine on much smaller scale than Lourdes, you can take home the holy water. St Beuno who spread Christianity in much of Wales and now has dozens of churches named after him - he was St Winefride’s uncle and after she was beheaded by a Prince for refusing to marry him, he put her head back in place and she was alive until she died of old age at an Abbey. The site her head stopped rolling became the source of the well 🤷🏻‍♀️

You’ll pass the smallest cathedral in Britain, where the first Welsh translation of the bible was kept. A few more old churches with histories.

The path is marked with green arrows and you collect stamps in places you visit and at the end you can get a certificate!

The final part of the pilgrimage is a boat trip to Bardsey Island, also known as the island of 20,000 saints because apparently they all died there… the Pope had said 2 x pilgrimages to Bardsey equaled one to Rome…

Or the more famous British pilgrimages:
- St James’ Way (Reading to Southampton),
- Pilgrim’s Way (Winchester to Canterbury)
- Finchale (Camino Inglés) (22 miles, this is the English part of the Camino Ingles)
- St Cuthbert’s Way (100km Melrose in the Scottish Borders, to Holy Island/Lindisfarne off the Northumberland Coast)

Other long distance trails:
- West highland way in Scotland
- Pennine way

Having a gorgeous Easter weekend here in the British Isles so I’m just feeling very optimistic about doing long hikes here 🤣

where there are Albergue type services available for walkers in April.

Come to the UK! We have all kinds of long-distance walks. Some are pilgrimage routes, some just nice hiking routes, or both!
Unfortunately although the UK is very rich in scenery and history it is sadly lacking in anything like the albergue network on the Caminos. :-( One of the reasons so many of us go to Spain so often to walk! And the weather of course. And the food and drink too. :cool:

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Or if you want to do part of the Road to Jerusalem, why not check out @timr 's trip on the Via Egnatia through Albania. You can get there from Bari.

Yes indeed @Corned Beef that is a good suggestion! :)

@Willdtrout it is a great walk. Not really pilgrim-style accommodation but very cheap accommodation. You would need to get the book/gpx from https://www.viaegnatiafoundation.eu/ really though. You won't manage without it, I would say.
Neither Albania nor N. Macedonia are in EU or Schengen. Greece is in both but you won't get that far in three weeks.

Last edited:
Beware of conflating the EU and Schengen. Most EU countries are part of Schengen, but not all. Not all Schengen members are part of the EU. If you want to stay in Europe try Romania or Bulgaria or Cyprus.

If you want great walking and inexpensive accommodation try Morocco.
I didn’t know that about the EU Schengen members! Thank you

Morocco is definitely on the list. I googled long walks in Morocco but didn’t find any. Can you recommend anything

Welsh Camino or here or here: just under 2 weeks long, lush green countryside, a nice waterfall, forest trails that look like enchanted garden, and end with 3 days walking down glorious coastal path (we were lucky with the weather!). To feed the soul, you’ll learn about Medieval saints like St Winefride who has a shrine also dubbed the Welsh Lourdes, it’s a beautiful shrine on much smaller scale than Lourdes, you can take home the holy water. St Beuno who spread Christianity in much of Wales and now has dozens of churches named after him - he was St Winefride’s uncle and after she was beheaded by a Prince for refusing to marry him, he put her head back in place and she was alive until she died of old age at an Abbey. The site her head stopped rolling became the source of the well 🤷🏻‍♀️

You’ll pass the smallest cathedral in Britain, where the first Welsh translation of the bible was kept. A few more old churches with histories.

The path is marked with green arrows and you collect stamps in places you visit and at the end you can get a certificate!

The final part of the pilgrimage is a boat trip to Bardsey Island, also known as the island of 20,000 saints because apparently they all died there… the Pope had said 2 x pilgrimages to Bardsey equaled one to Rome…

Or the more famous British pilgrimages:
- St James’ Way (Reading to Southampton),
- Pilgrim’s Way (Winchester to Canterbury)
- Finchale (Camino Inglés) (22 miles, this is the English part of the Camino Ingles)
- St Cuthbert’s Way (100km Melrose in the Scottish Borders, to Holy Island/Lindisfarne off the Northumberland Coast)

Other long distance trails:
- West highland way in Scotland
- Pennine way

Having a gorgeous Easter weekend here in the British Isles so I’m just feeling very optimistic about doing long hikes here 🤣
I’ll look into these!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Last edited by a moderator:
It’s so hot and sunny today that’s why my list was very optimistic 😝 but we have Fish Friday and Sunday Roast!

The Pennine Way has a good network of youth hostels, B&Bs, camp sites… not as cheap as Spain but 🤷🏻‍♀️
I have the Cicerone guidebook of the long Southwest Coastal Trail in England, but would only choose to walk a long section. Do you have any first hand experience with this trail?
BTW, your new forum avatar is great!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have the Cicerone guidebook of the long Southwest Coastal Trail in England, but would only choose to walk a long section. Do you have any first hand experience with this trail?
No first hand experience on the South West Coast Path because when I'm in Cornwall I'd like to relax on the beach and eat fresh seafood from one of many many Rick Stein establishment :D Cornwall gets incredibly busy in the summer so I'd suggest avoiding the summer months and school holidays.

EDIT: Oopst, turns out, this Northerner has walked one part of the South West Coast Path: from Lulworth Cove to Durdle Door. It's got this really cool promontory. Easy circular walk, great pubs.

IMG_8691.jpg

For anyone considering the North Wales Camino, the last 3 days is along the fabulous Llyn Peninsula (photos below), shared with the Wales Coast Path (which has its own Cicerone guidebook), and I can recommend staying at this cute static caravan based in Morfa Nefyn and taxi to-from each day's Camino, or there is also a public bus service operating in the summer.

IMG_9169 2.jpg
IMG_9190.jpgIMG_9244 2.jpgIMG_9229 2.jpgIMG_9289.jpg

Thank you!!

Last edited:
your new forum avatar is great!
I agree. I noticed it yesterday. I was wondering if your dog got the chance to leave the stone at the Cruz de Ferro.
99901.jpg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Some suggestions for multi-day walks with accommodation each night :-
In the UK, walking along Hadrian's Wall provides a walk where there are hotels/accommodation each night and baggage transfer options (I haven't walked this but stayed in one place on it, where I learnt this. It is more expensive than Spain).
The Kumano Kodo in Japan provides a 5-7 days walk that is intense in cultural immersion, scenery and has been a Shinto pilgramage route for 1,000 years or so but in 2014 the route was seldom walked although the Japanese people respect it enormously. The tourist bureau at Tanabe can advise and book for no cost so no need to have a commercially organised trip. The online maps and guides are superb plus there are hot spring baths to soak in!
Here in OZ there is the Overland Track in Tasmania, can be walked self supported in booked huts or there is a private company with their own huts, food, etc.
In NZ, they have a category called Great Walks. The Heaphy is one 5-7 day walk from hut to hut, self supported but there are some small companies that provide a guide or two who walk with you and cook gourmet food each night. We met guides from two of these companies, carrying huge packs!
Also in NZ the Queen Charlotte walk goes through amazing scenery and there are hotels/accommodation/camping available each night. You can have your luggage transferred by boat each day and (at Portage) there is option to do a day's kayaking in a different water body and collect/cook/eat green lipped mussels. This walk is in the South Island of NZ but there are places on the walk where you can see the North Island across the strait, which I thought was pretty special.

My time in the EU is up and though I ‘Caminoed’ much longer and further than planned I do not feel that I am done walking yet. So I’m looking for a new place to go.

Can anyone recommend a place near the EU where I can do another walk. I’m looking for ‘Camiño style’ but it doesn’t need to be a pilgrimage. Ideally just a 2-3 week walk where there are Albergue type services available for walkers in April.

I am experienced in Nepal and if I don’t hear of a new place may well go back there. Manaslu is calling.

Thank you in advance
Take a look at the Alpe-Adria Trail (AAT). 475 miles. Austria - Slovenia - Croatia. The trail is well market and has a good infrastructure . Like the Camino, the AAT is broken down in segments. Check it out.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Take a look at the Alpe-Adria Trail (AAT). 475 miles. Austria - Slovenia - Croatia. The trail is well market and has a good infrastructure . Like the Camino, the AAT is broken down in segments. Check it out.
Unfortunately for the OP these countries are in the Schengen Zone and so leaving Spain after 90 days to walk the AAT will lead to a visa overstay. The AAT could be a good prospect for a return trip though.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2024/04/22/italy-tourists-cinque-terre-one-way-hiking-trails/

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.