A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Camino Sightseeing

Camino(s) past & future
Santiago to Finisterre to Muxia 2013
Camino Frances May 2015
Camino Frances July 2017
Hi all, this is my first actual thread so please be gentle,

I'm taking my dad on a drive roughly along the Camino Frances (from SJPdP up to Astorga, he's been to Santiago before) next week as his 80th birthday present, sadly he's not able to walk very far anymore so the Camino itself is out of the question.

My question is, what do people regard as must see sites along the way? I must admit that particularly on my first CF, when my blisters were so bad, I din't do much walking beyond the trail so I'm not as clued up as I could be. My dad's particularly interested in art, history, culture and vino but recommendations needn't be limited to that.

I'm looking forward to learning about all the things within a stones throw of a yellow arrow that I never even knew about.

Thanks,

Rob.

Advertisment

Camino(s) past & future
2035 km of the way to Saint James in Galicia done.
Already next week? Before someone can say Gitlitz/Davidson and instead of listing a number of places: I think I would buy (or borrow from a library) a copy of the DK Eyewitness Travel Guide on Northern Spain. I don't have it, actually, but I have these guides for a number of other destinations and I find them excellent to get a good overview, in particular because of the illustrations.

Their "Street by Street" maps (I suppose they have them for Burgos and Leon at least) may be particularly useful if you can take your dad for short walks. Buen viaje!

Last edited:

Advertisment

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (1989 and 2016), Portugues - central from Porto (2018 - planned)
Some of the "sights" that come to mind are:
The churches in Eunate or Torres del Rio.
The cathedral in Burgos.
The church of San Martin in Fromista.
The mudejar churches in Sahagun.
The cathedral in Leon (I liked it better than the one in Burgos) and the San Isidro ceiling in the same city (the "Sistine chapel of romanesque art").
The episcopal palace in Astorga.
If you are stopping in Astorga, you won't make it as far as Ponferrada (mentioned by a previous commenter) or O Cebreiro.
I know that what I mentioned is basically a lot of churches. It is a pilgrim route, after all. I believe the Alto de Perdon is also accessible by car.
There is also the Museum of Human Evolution in Burgos and the archaeological site in the nearby Atapuerca.

Morgan Holmes

Every day is a path to walk.
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances to Santiago from SJPDP (2014); Sahagún to Santiago (2018).
The Roman museum and the Gaudi museum in Astorga.
The day-trip to Atapuerca's archaeological dig site, and a visit to the Museum of Evolution in Burgos.

And perhaps if he enjoys it, a harbour-side celebratory seafood supper in Fisterra -- O Centolo was especially delicious (and I'm a girl from ocean-side so seafood is a big deal to me).

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances May 2015
Camino Frances July 2017
Some of the "sights" that come to mind are:
The churches in Eunate or Torres del Rio.
The cathedral in Burgos.
The church of San Martin in Fromista.
The mudejar churches in Sahagun.
The cathedral in Leon (I liked it better than the one in Burgos) and the San Isidro ceiling in the same city (the "Sistine chapel of romanesque art").
The episcopal palace in Astorga.
If you are stopping in Astorga, you won't make it as far as Ponferrada (mentioned by a previous commenter) or O Cebreiro.
I know that what I mentioned is basically a lot of churches. It is a pilgrim route, after all. I believe the Alto de Perdon is also accessible by car.
There is also the Museum of Human Evolution in Burgos and the archaeological site in the nearby Atapuerca.
All great suggestions, for various reasons I've not made it into the cathedral in Leon yet but if it's better than Burgos it must be pretty special.

Thanks,

Rob.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances May 2015
Camino Frances July 2017
The Roman museum and the Gaudi museum in Astorga.
The day-trip to Atapuerca's archaeological dig site, and a visit to the Museum of Evolution in Burgos.

And perhaps if he enjoys it, a harbour-side celebratory seafood supper in Fisterra -- O Centolo was especially delicious (and I'm a girl from ocean-side so seafood is a big deal to me).
Thanks @Morgan Holmes

Sadly won't be making it as far as Fisterra but will hopefully get some seafood along with scouting for the Norte in Bilbao where we arrive and then San Sebastian.

Rob.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (1989 and 2016), Portugues - central from Porto (2018 - planned)
All great suggestions, for various reasons I've not made it into the cathedral in Leon yet but if it's better than Burgos it must be pretty special.

Thanks,

Rob.
The Burgos cathedral, beautiful as it is, strikes me as an overwhelming confection constructed over centuries. It has been described as "the richest anthology of medieval art styles and genres that you will find along the Road".

The Leon cathedral, on the other hand, was built in record time and has a singular Gothic purity to it. The immense amount of stained glass turns it into a towering jewel.

Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
St Olav/Francés ('16)
Baztanés/Francés ('17)
Ingles ('18)
In addition to others' good suggestions:
Santo Domingo de Silos, off the Camino a little South of Burgos, which is world fanous for it's Gregorian chant.
Just search the Forum as there have been a lot of mentions of it.
Also in that general area are the ruined monastery of San Pedro de Arlanza, and a treasure trove of old things in the Lara Valley: Dinosaur footprints, dolmens, and one of the oldest hermitages in Spain, Santa Maria de Lara. (These are all on or near the Camino San Olav.)
Also nearby - if you are a spaghetti western fan - is the set for the Sad Hill Cemetery in The Good The Bad, and the Ugly....)
Since you have a car you could swing South from Najera, meander down to the Lara Valley through the mountains, and then over to Santo Domino de Silos for Vespers (there are hotels in this small town). From there it's a short drive to Burgos.

Also a little off the Frances in Rioja are Yuso, Suso, and Cañas - all historically important and very interesting places.

Like @David Tallan , I prefer the cathedral in Leon to the one in Burgos. Both are impressive. But the pure Gothic of Leon - and the light through the windows - is sublime.

Oh - edit - and if you decide to follow the Frances and end up in San Juan de Ortega on the Equinox, you are in for a very special show in the church (scroll down to about the middle of the page in that link to the section headed 'The Temple').

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
I think Leon vs Burgos is a good example why it is so difficult to name the “must sees” if one’s time for visits is limited. We don’t know what @Dorpie’s dad is most interested in and what he has seen already. When you know Chartres, Reims, Nôtre-Dame and the Sainte-Chapelle (in Paris) would you find Leon or Burgos more interesting to explore for example? I spent time in Leon Cathedral and enjoyed it but Burgos Cathedral was unexpected and extraordinary in so many ways. I’ve been there twice now and I would not be tired of a third visit (and no, aesthetically it’s far from being my favourite Gothic cathedral).

Another example is the Café Iruña in Pamplona which many visit because of Hemingway. We had lunch there because we were looking for a place to eat and I realised only later where we were. I don’t want to offend anyone but I personally can’t be bothered where he played piano or had a few drinks. I loved the place because of its interior and the fact that it was obviously patronised by locals ... and we did enjoy our meal. :cool:

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2015); Camino Norte/Primitivo (2016); Camino Frances (2017); Le Puy (June 2018)
The Burgos cathedral, beautiful as it is, strikes me as an overwhelming confection constructed over centuries. It has been described as "the richest anthology of medieval art styles and genres that you will find along the Road".

The Leon cathedral, on the other hand, was built in record time and has a singular Gothic purity to it. The immense amount of stained glass turns it into a towering jewel.
I loved the Burgos cathedral for its beautiful ironwork, bright white interior and dome that in my opinion resembles a snowflake.
I loved Leon's cathedral for its many, many stained glass windows, reminding me of jewels. The most remarkable part to me about that, however, is that the nearly 1800 square meters of stained glass pieces of the windows were dissassembled and boxed up for 50 years while major architectural problems were worked on and resolved. All of the windows were then reassembled like perfect puzzles...amazing.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016). Seville-Astorga (Mar 2017). Mozarabe (Apr-May 2018)
The Museo Etnologico in Mansilla de las Mulas (just before Leon) is excellent, with most of the labels/descriptions in English and Spanish. It gives a good sense of the last few hundred years of ordinary life in the area.

Camino(s) past & future
What, we've just got one day left? And for how long?
  • the Papamoscas (Flycatcher) Clock in Burgos Cathedral; I think he springs into action at every quarter of an hour and more so at every full hour,
  • the white cockerel and chicken in their cage in Santo Domingo de la Calzada Cathedral and while you are there just turn round to see the memorial of Santo Domingo himself and reflect on the importance and influence of technology such as road and bridge building,
  • the huge gold covered retablo of the altar in the small church of Navarrete; while I have mixed feelings about the origin of the gold, it is an exceptional example of Spanish altar pieces of this kind in general; many pilgrims seem to walk past the church without stopping to enter. If I remember correctly, it's one of the many places where you put 1 € into a grey box somewhere to activate lights to be able to view it in detail, so keep 1 € coins ready; there is a small square outside with a restaurant/bar (Bar Deportivo) where I wouldn't hesitate to order a pilgrim's menu or other food,
  • upon recommendation from eminent forum members @SYates and @SabineP, we went to La Quinta del Monje in Burgos for tapas and were not disappointed. It was very crowded in the evening but less so during the day,
  • at the Cruz de Ferro, I was more intrigued by the big sun dial on the ground than by anything else; you stand on the box of the current month and your shadow shows the (solar) time; now in September you will need to add 2 hours to get local clock time.

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
St Olav/Francés ('16)
Baztanés/Francés ('17)
Ingles ('18)
The video that David just posted reminded me: of course - not to forget Eunate!
Check the opening times, although it is impressive even just from the outside.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances May 2015
Camino Frances July 2017
What, we've just got one day left? And for how long?
Haha, I like to keep you all on your toes. Going for 8 days, probably should have made it a little more but it is what it is, turns out doing Spain by car, in hotels for a week costs more than walking and using albergues for over a month and that's before food and drink comes into it.

Thanks for all the tips so far and don't worry about what my dad might like as @Kathar1na brought up, I'm just curious to know people's highlights and then I can filter through them.

Many, many thanks for planning my holiday for me.

Rob.

Camino(s) past & future
I'm just curious to know people's highlights and then I can filter through them.
Ah, my list of personal highlights would be somewhat different: it would include one of the paintings, the unique reliquary, the huge precious stone and other items in the tiny museum of Roncesvalles (only with a guide I think and only in Spanish), the immense sadness expressed in the figures and faces on the sarcophagus of Blanche of Navarra in Najera, the delightful and surprising details on portals and capitels of small churches or courtyards that barely get a mention in Brierley, the stunning display of madonnas in the museum attached to Pamplona Cathedral ... a fairly long list.

One thing I'd be keen to visit but I don't know how far off the Camino Frances it is would be this superfuturistic winery building - or is it a hotel? - somewhere in the vineyards of La Rioja.

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
St Olav/Francés ('16)
Baztanés/Francés ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Another off the Frances places: Haro, which is on the Vasco Interior just north of Santo Domingo de la Calzada. The capital of Rioja and known for its wine festival in the summer (June), so there would likely be plenty of places to stay.

Camino(s) past & future
Contemplating yet another "final" camino
Porto to SdC May 2019
Go to see the crucifix in the church at Furelos just before you get to Melide:
1537171146086.png
Igrexa de San Xoan de Furelos just north of the river.
Then you get back on the N547 and take your father to eat octopus in Pulperia Ezequiel Rúa Cantón San Roque, 48,

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances May 2015
Camino Frances July 2017
Go to see the crucifix in the church at Furelos just before you get to Melide:
View attachment 46344
Igrexa de San Xoan de Furelos just north of the river.
Then you get back on the N547 and take your father to eat octopus in Pulperia Ezequiel Rúa Cantón San Roque, 48,
Melide might be a stretch, though believe me any chance to eat pulpo at Ezequiel's I will take. I was a bit limited by time so had to make some choices and have to get from Leon to Salamanca in one day. Going as far west as Ponferrada and then cutting down is already getting on for four hours of driving and if we're to actually look at things rather than just driving past them, the bulk of Galicia (my favourite region on the Camino, but one we've both visited before) will have to wait for another trip. But you never know, if we're feeling good and leave early enough it could happen.

It's actually crazy doing the planning and realising you could comfortably drive the entire Camino in one day :eek:

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances May 2015
Camino Frances July 2017
Ah, my list of personal highlights would be somewhat different: it would include one of the paintings, the unique reliquary, the huge precious stone and other items in the tiny museum of Roncesvalles (only with a guide I think and only in Spanish), the immense sadness expressed in the figures and faces on the sarcophagus of Blanche of Navarra in Najera, the delightful and surprising details on portals and capitels of small churches or courtyards that barely get a mention in Brierley, the stunning display of madonnas in the museum attached to Pamplona Cathedral ... a fairly long list.

One thing I'd be keen to visit but I don't know how far off the Camino Frances it is would be this superfuturistic winery building - or is it a hotel? - somewhere in the vineyards of La Rioja.
Thanks @Kathar1na this is perfect!

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances May 2015
Camino Frances July 2017
Another off the Frances places: Haro, which is on the Vasco Interior just north of Santo Domingo de la Calzada. The capital of Rioja and known for its wine festival in the summer (June), so there would likely be plenty of places to stay.
Ooh, anything wine related definitely fits the brief.

Camino(s) past & future
Gehry has explained that his aim was to incorporate the character of the region and its famous vintage within the building's exterior - the multi-coloured ribbon-like titanium facade reflecting the pink hues of Rioja, the silver foil shielding the cork, and the distinctive gold mesh which adorns all Marqués de Riscal bottles.

The hotel is on Booking.com but I didn't check the price. If you pre-book you can tour the winery for a surprisingly modest 16 € apparently: 16 € por persona. Incluye tour a la Bodega y cata de dos vinos: Marqués de Riscal Rueda Verdejo y Marqués de Riscal Reserva, acompañados de salchichón y chorizo riojanos.

Caution: I've not visited so don't take this as an endorsement. :cool:

According to Tripadvisor, a visit to this winery is the #1 of 10 things to do in the village of Elciego (inhabitants in 2017: 1,030).

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
Porto to SdC May 2019
Holey moley, the human mind can come up with the most bizarre and wonderful things.:D
It must have been a blast to design - obviously he had a blank cheque.
And you'd probably need the same to stay there.;)
Too much sampling before designing, hic! :p

Camino(s) past & future
Porto to SdC May 2019
Ha! Jeff, your comments are often just sooo funny!
No, it's true. 2001 I walked through Camponaraya (?) on the Sunday morning of a festival. People were leaving bars at 7am and heading straight to the vineyards to gather the crop. That large wine fountain on the left had obviously become overexcited the night before and red wine was trickling down the road alongside the kerbline

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances May 2015
Camino Frances July 2017
Have a great time, @Dorpie and @Dorpie's dad! Are you taking the ferry to Spain or do you hire a car? And please tell us how it was and what you did see. I'm toying with the idea of a looong road trip to Compostela one day but no idea whether it will ever happen.
Thanks. And thanks to everyone else for their tips, we'll try and see as much as we can and I'll post the results either as we go or when we get back.

Is it evil of me that I'm so looking forward to driving up the hill from SJPDP to Orisson watching people struggle as we go?

Camino(s) past & future
Porto to SdC May 2019
Have a great time, @Dorpie and @Dorpie's dad! Are you taking the ferry to Spain or do you hire a car? And please tell us how it was and what you did see. I'm toying with the idea of a looong road trip to Compostela one day but no idea whether it will ever happen.
Well this is the way to go
1537259330737.jpeg

1537259384227.jpeg

They were doing a "Camino" of Paradores

1537259444762.png
Ending up in SdC

I'll drive if you don't mind navigating ;)

Camino(s) past & future
Porto to SdC May 2019
Thanks. And thanks to everyone else for their tips, we'll try and see as much as we can and I'll post the results either as we go or when we get back.

Is it evil of me that I'm so looking forward to driving up the hill from SJPDP to Orisson watching people struggle as we go?
Yes but we'll forgive you if you send pictures ;)

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances May 2015
Camino Frances July 2017
Camino(s) past & future
Porto to SdC May 2019
Oh wow, that would be a fantastic way to go. Sadly neither Paradores or vintage Mercedes are in my future. Volkswagen Golfs and barely 3 star hotels very much are. Still compared with general Camino comfort levels I'll have nothing to complain about.
KIA Station Wagon - but we can dream!

Camino(s) past & future
06/07 & 12 Camino Francés, 08-10 Via de la Plata, 13/14 & 17 Camino Portugués, 18 Camino Primitivo
Just to add to the previous suggestions:

The big wine-Festival in Logrono is around September 24 th.
On the square close to the cathedral in Logrono there is a children's game on the pavement (goose-game or "Gänsespiel") and there are some very nice art-deco buildings.

The following churches deserve a visit:
Eunate
Torres del Rio
Burgos Cathedral (and if you have enough time also the Monastery of Miraflores)
St. Martin in Fromista
The brick-churches in Sahagun
Leon Cathedral
O Cebreiro

The following places deserve a visit:
Pamplona
Alto de Perdón
Puente de la Reina
the wine-fountain and the Monastery of Irache
San Juan de la Ortega (on September 21st you can see a miracle of light in this church)
St. Domingo de la Calzada with the chicken in the church
Villamajor de Monjardín (with it´s moorish fountain)
San Ból, San Anton before Castojeríz and the Alto de Mostelares just after the village
Astorga
Cruz de Ferro and Manjarín
O Cebreiro (though a bit touristy, but it is the oldest church on the Camino).

In Melide you should try the Pulpería A Garnacha (it is less touristy, just 3 houses down the road from Ezequiel and recommended by the local police - their presence in a bar or restaurant is always a good recommendation for food and drinks).

I hope you and your Dad enjoy the journey

BC
Alexandra

Camino(s) past & future
The big wine-Festival in Logrono is around September 24 th.
Good idea to mention this! It has actually already started this year and will end on Sunday, 23 September 2018. It's not only wine, but food, concerts, fireworks etc. The program for all the events can be found in local newspapers or google for: "San Mateo 2018" Logroño

OLDER threads on this topic

Most read today

Live - Camino Portugues It begins
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 32 4.6%
  • April

Votes: 106 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 172 24.7%