• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino with Roads Scholar

Jean Costa

Time of past OR future Camino
May 3, 2017
My friend and I just returned from what we called "El Camino Lite." We walked 60 miles over 9 days. It was our first trek on the Camino and we did it with the guidance of Nacho Engels and Roads Scholar. Even with their guidance we entered into this journey with quite a bit of anxiety. Did we need hiking boots (yes), did we need poles (they helped), did we need rain gear (yes, yes), did we need blister packs (no, thank heavens!), how about a day pack (helpful)?
How do I feel now that we have returned home? I am still absorbing all the marvelous experiences I had on this journey. Roads Scholar was the perfect way for me to experience this marvelous pilgrimage. Will I go back? Maybe. Will I go alone or with another tour group? I'll probably choose to go with a group. I liked having guidance and assistance. I liked having someone tell me about the history and the fauna and the highlights of the path.
I believe however you choose to walk this path, if you allow it, it can be a life-changing experience.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Welcome Jean and congratulations 60 miles is quite a feat and likely farther than most of your friend have walked at one time and in a foreign country. Well done!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There's no right or wrong way to do the camino, it's all about what makes you happy, congratulation.
Now its time to set the dates for your next visit.
I will soon set off on my 4th Camino.This is a gift/treat to myself for my 70th birthday.I am starting in Burgos and will walk for between 2 and 3 weeks.The difference this time is I have booked the first 2 weeks in small hotels rather than my usual rush for a bed in hostels.I have been saving for this treat,but why do I feel a touch of guilt for "taking the easier way".I will still walk,I will still carry my pack,and have left the 3rd week to how I feel at the time,but I still have difficulty getting that guilt gremlin out of my brain.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I will soon set off on my 4th Camino.This is a gift/treat to myself for my 70th birthday.I am starting in Burgos and will walk for between 2 and 3 weeks.The difference this time is I have booked the first 2 weeks in small hotels rather than my usual rush for a bed in hostels.I have been saving for this treat,but why do I feel a touch of guilt for "taking the easier way".I will still walk,I will still carry my pack,and have left the 3rd week to how I feel at the time,but I still have difficulty getting that guilt gremlin out of my brain.

You shouldn't feel any guilt about booking ahead, I guess it's more peace of mind knowing that you have a bed waiting. I think the older we get the more reassurance we need that little things like somewhere to sleep is taken care of.
I'll be creeping up to 70 on my next camino and I'm not too sure how long I'll go before I start thinking ahead, racing for a bed is just not me.
So dump the guilt and look at the positive side of the camino.

I'm glad that you enjoyed your experience, but be aware that most of us who walk the Camino independently, without a tour group spend less than $50 a day on food and lodging. A far cry from the $4,000+ that Road Scholar charges for two weeks!

I'm glad that you enjoyed your experience, but be aware that most of us who walk the Camino independently, without a tour group spend less than $50 a day on food and lodging. A far cry from the $4,000+ that Road Scholar charges for two weeks!
Wow I just looked at their site it is almost $5000 for single occupancy. That is a LOT! I just got back from 6 weeks of language school in Mexico, wonderful experience, about half that.

€46,-
Where in Mexico did you go? Which language school?
I went to the Spanish Institute in Puebla, www.sipuebla.com. It is a wonderful school and great program. Puebla is a great city, lots of art, culture, music. You fill find almost no English spoken. I have done an other program in San Miguel de Allende, www.ahaspeakspanish.com, which is also good. The difference is that Puebla is a large Mexican City without tourists while SMA is full of expats and tourists. It depends on what one is looking for.

.....but why do I feel a touch of guilt for "taking the easier way"....

Booking ahead is not taking the easier way, it is just another level of preparation. If anything, you may feel a burden of having to make those last few kilometers when you're tired and want to make an earlier stop.

So abandon the irrational guilt and enjoy your trip!

Buen Camino,
-jgp

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I still have difficulty getting that guilt gremlin out of my brain.

I read this recently . . .

"Worry and guilt are opposite sides of a wooden nickel—two useless emotions facing different directions. Worry looks ahead, seeing threat and disaster at every turn. Guilt looks behind, imposing self-blame for perceived misfortunes and disappointments."

This change in your camino will open you up to new experiences now that the stress of finding a bed for the night has be alleviated!
Try and think of it as a different adventure not a incomplete journey and the gremlin may disappear!

Also, Stop feeding him after midnight!

why do I feel a touch of guilt for "taking the easier way." I will still walk, I will still carry my pack
So you are disappointed that you are getting older, and have different needs? I am only 69, but I long since recognized the silliness of getting fixated on arbitrary standards. On a daily basis, I could think of hundreds of things that more rightly deserve my guilty feelings - starting with the fact that I have a warm and comfy reserved bed every night at home, and I can afford to travel to Spain.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Actually....staying in hotels and pensions is really a positive thing and not something to feel guilt about.

You are freeing up a bed in the crowded albergues for those on a more limited budget.

It is really too bad that more people who do not need the budget help don't free up space for others.
The modern albergue system was set up to accommodate those who could not afford other accommodations.....not as a cheap bed for those of us who can afford existing rooms.

No guilt at all. You should get a medal!

I don't see what guilt has to do with it. It's more about what else I could do with 5K.
Which is a LOT! I travelled for 6 months in Asia on that a few years ago.
As the original of this thread made no mention of 'guilt' I assume you have got my reply and it mixed up. 5k you mention would I imagine pay for a lot more than I could justify or even save.

As the original of this thread made no mention of 'guilt' I assume you have got my reply and it mixed up. 5k you mention would I imagine pay for a lot more than I could justify or even save.
Nothing is mixed up. I am just saying that 5K is a lot of money.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Trust me, it will wear off after a few nights of decent sleep between clean sheets and your own bathroom. By the time you arrive in SdC and check in to the Reis Catolicos the guilt will be gone, trust me ;)

Jean...don't let them get you down because of the cost of your trip. It is YOUR money and YOU get to determine what it is spent on. You spent 9 days enjoying yourself and seeing the sights while walking down an historic track. Good for you. You will have memories to last a lifetime and maybe next time you will want to try it solo or with a group of friends and not on a guided tour.

I have not traveled the Camino yet, scheduled for next April. I will carry my own pack but am going for different reasons, as I need time to think about my life and where it is headed. The solitude will, for me, be beneficial. But a guided tour does sound nice!!;)

I have no problem with people spending a lot of money on the Camino, especially if it benefits the local economy. And it's great that those with the means to do so stay in hotels, and leave albergue beds to those not so financially able. No one should feel guilty about using these services, and contributing to the Spanish economy. and I just posted the cost of the Road Scholar program vs a DIY Camino so that the OP would know that it's possible to walk the Camino for far less money if she wishes to return in the future.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Where did you walk? What were the highlights?
Hi Heidi, we began in Burgos and ended in Finesterra. The journey hasn't ended even though the walk is over. For me one of the highlights was being present for the incense swinging before and after the pilgram's mass. A second one was all the people I encountered on and off the trail. It gave me a lot of hope for this world of ours. There are so many many caring, kind and compassionate people.

Hi Heidi, we began in Burgos and ended in Finesterra. The journey hasn't ended even though the walk is over. For me one of the highlights was being present for the incense swinging before and after the pilgram's mass. A second one was all the people I encountered on and off the trail. It gave me a lot of hope for this world of ours. There are so many many caring, kind and compassionate people.
So, it sounds like you didn't walk continually?

Actually....staying in hotels and pensions is really a positive thing and not something to feel guilt about.

You are freeing up a bed in the crowded albergues for those on a more limited budget.

It is really too bad that more people who do not need the budget help don't free up space for others.
The modern albergue system was set up to accommodate those who could not afford other accommodations.....not as a cheap bed for those of us who can afford existing rooms.

No guilt at all. You should get a medal!

Amen to that! Buen Camino, SY

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You are absolutely right. There are many other options for this pilgrimage. I was blessed with the ability to go with Roads and I'm very grateful for it. One should examine all the options and choose what's best for them.

So, it sounds like you didn't walk continually?
Each evening the path was described and the weather was predicted. We had several people who were not capable of walking some of the routes and who would sometimes meet us at the end and walk towards the group. We had one woman who became very ill a few days into the trip and didn't get to walk at all. We averaged about 4-5 hours each day.

Jean...don't let them get you down because of the cost of your trip. It is YOUR money and YOU get to determine what it is spent on. You spent 9 days enjoying yourself and seeing the sights while walking down an historic track. Good for you. You will have memories to last a lifetime and maybe next time you will want to try it solo or with a group of friends and not on a guided tour.

I have not traveled the Camino yet, scheduled for next April. I will carry my own pack but am going for different reasons, as I need time to think about my life and where it is headed. The solitude will, for me, be beneficial. But a guided tour does sound nice!!;)
Thank you! Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.