Search 57,387 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.
Learn Spanish for the Camino
Enhance your Camino experience by learning about the Spanish language and culture.

LIVE from the Camino Camping in France

bkkboy

Past OR future Camino
I just cycled 1,300km from Pamplona to Santiago to Lisbon. I still not had enough so am returning to Pamplona by train, and plan to cycle towards Paris on Eurovelot 3. The cost of available accomodation along the route astonished me, 350 euro a night in some towns, so plan to buy a tent etc in Pamplona and camp along the way. Has anybody any experience of camping along Eurovelot 3? Some of the campgrounds are as expensive as hotels. All I want is a patch of ground for the night. Away before sunrise.

Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
When you walk the Camino, and suddenly a pandemic appears

mspath

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
I just cycled 1,300km from Pamplona to Santiago to Lisbon. I still not had enough so am returning to Pamplona by train, and plan to cycle towards Paris on Eurovelot 3. The cost of available accomodation along the route astonished me, 350 euro a night in some towns, so plan to buy a tent etc in Pamplona and camp along the way. Has anybody any experience of camping along Eurovelot 3? Some of the campgrounds are as expensive as hotels. All I want is a patch of ground for the night. Away before sunrise.
bkkboy,

What a wonderful journey you are biking. Is this the route that you next wish to follow? It reads like another great ride.

Even now at 82 I love bikes; summer 1959 I biked using 3 speeds from London to Rome in four months.

Stay safe and Carpe diem

Last edited:

jsalt

Jill
Past OR future Camino
Portugués, Francés, LePuy, Rota Vicentina, Norte, Madrid, C2C, Salvador, Primitivo, Aragonés, Inglés
Sadly, France is VERY expensive compared to Spain. Calculate on spending about 3 times per day as you would in Spain.

Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store
how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.

good_old_shoes

Past OR future Camino
Francés ('15, '19)
Via Coloniensis ('16)
Trier-Nancy + Le Puy-Fisterra ('17)
Aragonés ('18)
Not sure about the Eurovelo route, but France in general is great for camping with a huge network of camp sites. Those are usually quite cheap (especially for hikers and people travelling on bikes). High prices you see on the websites might be estimates for camper vans /caravans / mobile homes? Even many small towns have a tiny camp ground. Look / ask / google for "camping municipal". I don't think I've ever payed more than ten Euros a night on a french camp site with my small tent. If you buy food from the supermarket it's not that expensive and you'll get good quality. Decathlon has nice tents for not so much money, and easily available in Spain and France, if you still need to buy one. Bon Chemin!

Anamiri

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
2016, 2017, 2019 Camino Frances
I watched Efren Gonzalez Via Francigena videos through France (different route I know) , and he often had difficulty finding accommodation especially that fitted his stages, camped in campsites sometimes, and stealth camped some nights.

Past OR future Camino
Portugues '15, '16, & '19
Via Francigena '17
Frances '18
Muxia & Finisterre '18
Tahoe Rim Trail '19
Even now at 82 I love bikes; summer 1959 I biked using 3 speeds from London to Rome in four months.
I would love to do a trip like this on an old English 3 speed! No schedule. I would be happy to do this trip on my modern bike as well but not be in a particular hurry.

I bet this ride when you were 20 years old must have been the most incredible experience. I will tell my 19 year old daughter, an adventure seeking college sophomore, that you made this ride back in '59.

mspath

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
hereI would love to do a trip like this on an old English 3 speed! No schedule. I would be happy to do this trip on my modern bike as well but not be in a particular hurry.

I bet this ride when you were 20 yers old must have been the most incredible experience. I will tell my 19 year old daughter, an adventure seeking college sophomore, that you made this ride back in '59.
Crosscheck Rider,
It changed my life. See more here

Last edited:
Past OR future Camino
Frances. 2001
Via de la plata 2008
Arles -Piemonte-Frances-Cee 2014
(Bastan-Francés) 2019
Thanks for the heads up on the European bike routes. I have never noticed these before.
I have camped quite a lot hiking in Europe. I have only walked in southern France but found it very easy to camp there.
I much prefer a bivy bag to a tent though. There’s a bit of a learning curve but in the end I find it to be lighter, more discrete, and it gives you a much wider choice of camping spots. also I’m much more comfortable when I am able to see what’s happening around me. The downside is that it is not very comfortable in really foul weather but then I would be seriously looking to rent a room for the night.
There is a skill set that will take time to acquire to be really cozy but I love to have camping as an option.
im envious of your adventure. Best of luck

Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets

roving_rufus

Past OR future Camino
Frances (2013-2015) Portugues (2017-2019) Via Francigena (2018-??) Camino from Ireland (2020-??)
Also useful to know that some campsites in France offer special rates for cyclists or walkers but you often have to ask. This is more likely near major walking/cycling routes.
Otherwise I have camped in a few church grounds in France. Also cemetaries nearly always have a water tap in France.

Barbara

Past OR future Camino
Frances, Norte (twice)and Primitivo, Sureste, In France From home Tours and Vézelay, also Le Puy.
Campsites in France aren't stupid prices on the whole. Even for a camper van with two people the price in high season is between fifteen and 25 euros. Smail tent and a bike is less. You might look into getting an ACSI card for a good discount outside the months of July and August. You pay for the card, which comes with a guide to all the participating sites, then get a lower rate out of high season.
Remember that you will always get good showers and usually some sort of snack bar and shop. Many sites on pilgrim routes have a discount for pilgrims with a credential, and some have a mobile home for pilgrims at a very low price.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads