• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ryanair Carry-On Dilemma: Need Your Advice!

JanusDT

Time of past OR future Camino
Vezelay
Hello everyone,

The day is fast approaching when I'll together with by girlfriend be flying to Porto to embark on my second Camino adventure!

However, my girlfriend recently brought to my attention that our backpacks might exceed the dimensions allowed for carry-on luggage by Ryanair. According to their policy, carry-on bags should measure 40cm x 20cm x 25cm, whereas our backpacks have a length of 49cm. Unfortunately, the backpad of the Osprey backpack we're using isn't very compressible in terms of length.

Considering the potential extra costs, as well as the risk of our luggage being lost or damaged, and the added waiting time at the airport, I'm hesitating about purchasing additional luggage space for check-in.

Now, I'm curious if any of you have had previous experiences with Ryanair and how strict they are when it comes to luggage dimensions. Your insights and advice on both the dimensions and the potential risks would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Ryanair would charge for the air in the cabin if they could just figure out how.

Either change your flights, your backpacks or pre-book checked luggage. You really do not want to encounter their “on the spot” charges

Ryanair extra cost for registered luggage are not so high.
You can even carry poles, provided they are inside your backpack.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello everyone,

The day is fast approaching when I'll together with by girlfriend be flying to Porto to embark on my second Camino adventure!

However, my girlfriend recently brought to my attention that our backpacks might exceed the dimensions allowed for carry-on luggage by Ryanair. According to their policy, carry-on bags should measure 40cm x 20cm x 25cm, whereas our backpacks have a length of 49cm. Unfortunately, the backpad of the Osprey backpack we're using isn't very compressible in terms of length.

Considering the potential extra costs, as well as the risk of our luggage being lost or damaged, and the added waiting time at the airport, I'm hesitating about purchasing additional luggage space for check-in.

Now, I'm curious if any of you have had previous experiences with Ryanair and how strict they are when it comes to luggage dimensions. Your insights and advice on both the dimensions and the potential risks would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Not a question that can be really answered. They are stricter at hub stations, than outstations. Buying luggage in advance tends be a lot cheaper than at airport. I have flown them lots of times (maybe 50 or so) and always been quite happy with their service. I think their baggage delivery stats are as good as anyone else. Ryanair are successful as their have a vary simple operation and gain a lot from that both financially and operationally. That includes baggage.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The size that you have quoted is for a personal item that must fit under the seat in front of you. If you buy the basic fare that is all that you are allowed. You will not be allowed to put your backpacks in the overhead bins. A cabin bag can be 55x40x20cm and up to 10kg.

This is from RyanAir's site

All our fares include one small personal bag which can be brought on board, such as a handbag or laptop bag (40x20x25cm), which must fit under the seat in front of you. If you need additional baggage allowance, there are various options available to you.

It will probably be most cost effective for the two of you to pay for one checked bag - you can buy a cheap duffel or other bag (look at charity shops) that will hold both bags.

If this is a direct non-stop flight I wouldn't worry too much about the luggage being lost or delayed.

The size that you have quoted is for a personal item that must fit under the seat in front of you. If you buy the basic fare that is all that you are allowed. You will not be allowed to put your backpacks in the overhead bins. A cabin bag can be 55x40x20cm and up to 10kg.
Yes. Your ospreys will be fine in the cabin.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes. Your ospreys will be fine in the cabin.
They would be fine as a cabin bag in the overhead (which is an extra cost for each bag), but they are too big to go under the seat in front as a personal item. It seems that the ticket that @JanusDT purchased includes only a personal item. I suggested putting both backpacks in one checked bag because that it less expensive than two cabin bags.

My wife and I have travelled regularly with Ryanair when we have been in Europe. We have avoided paying for a cabin bag, preferring to take a checked bag. However, we did find that if we booked an exit row seat for the extra leg room, our personal bag had to be stored in the overhead locker. We didn't do a cost trade-off calculation about using this approach to bring on a larger personal item rather than checking a bag.

No as personal, underseat baggage. Yes, as an overhead storage “cabin bag”. In general, they check (often at the desk AND at the gate), but any given day and any random employee May or may not check. Checking your bag at the gate can be VERY expensive, so it’s a gamble with very real fiscal impacts. Pay for the cabin bag option or (as stated before) place both in a duffel and check it in.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello everyone,

Thanks!
They’re strict. Don’t even think about it

Hello everyone,

Thanks!
It depends on the airport policy. I flew back from Porto. Had a check-in ticket but there they said that wasn’t necessary. I could take it as carry on luggage even with my poles. And I saw other peregrines doing the same.That was this Spring. Maybe you can ask on one of the many camino forums if someone knows the Ryan Air policy at your airport of departure. Bom Camino.

It depends on the airport policy. I flew back from Porto. Had a check-in ticket but there they said that wasn’t necessary. I could take it as carry on luggage even with my poles
Airport policy determines what kind of items (liquids, poles, etc.) you can take on board, but it's airline policy that determines the size. Ryanair is very clear on what size bag is included in the fare.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
One thought. If the pack dimensions are greater than the allowed dimensions, perhaps there is too much in the pack? I have also used an 42 L Osprey pack and always was allowed to carry it on. The first time it contained 20 lb of items. The second time, just 10 lb. Both pack weights did not include water or food.

Ask me which trip went better. Consider which would improve your trip.

Hoping a positive answer to this question resolves the problem.

Hello everyone,

Thanks!
Just pay for priority, so you get a 10kg bag allowance, as well as a small bag. We carried our 44ltr and 36ltr Ospreys onboard without any problem. To be honest, Ryanair never seem too fussy about precise sizes.

Hello everyone,

Thanks!
Ryanair can be severe re baggage dimensions - or not: point being that it is unpredictable, so unpleasant in anticipation.
Suggest pay at time of booking for luggage to go in hold. Or bite the bullet and change backpack to one that does not exceed Ryanair's.
Wild car suggestion: buy Amazon soft sided 'back pack suitcase' style for about 50 Euro. They have excellent utility, straps and supports, but may take a few days to get used to. Also very expandable and hard wearing.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Or bite the bullet and change backpack to one that does not exceed Ryanair's.
I don't think that there many backpacks that would be big enough for the Camino within the specs for a Ryanair personal item of 40cm x 20cm x 25cm/ 15.75in x 7.87in x 9.84in.

Amazon soft sided 'back pack suitcase' style for about 50 Euro.
Does that fit the personal item size?

Hello everyone,

Thanks!
my worst flying experience ever

The Amazon Cabinmax works for Ryanair cabin baggage. It fits a lot. I did a two week stretch of the Norte and had no issues with fitting / carrying stuff. But each to his/her own.

I note that prices have gone up since I bought mine. Surprise!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello everyone,

Thanks!
Stuff as much as possible on to your carry on. Include the totally necessary items. Stuff the remainder of both your items into one backpack together with the other backpack. This way you will only have one checked in item. If disaster happens upon arrival the only thing having to be replaced are backpacks that are easily found at any sporting goods store.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello everyone,

Thanks!
Just buy the cabin baggage size, it’s approx £25 each way and gets you speedy boarding also. Then you’ve got peace of mind. The smaller size is a woman’s handbag size only.

Hello everyone,

Thanks!
I assume you are flying into Biarritz and if so, the wait for baggage is very small. You queue at passport control a fair bit unless you are first off the plane and if you are in a queue, your pack will be on the carousel waiting for you. To protect against damage, I purchased the £5 IKEA holdall, more than enough room for the pack. I then got rid of it as I wasn’t bothered about damage on the return journey back to the UK.

It’s POSSIBLE - I did the St James Way in England plus another 8 weeks of European travel with a partially packed 28L bag, cinched down to the personal bag dimensions. I do not recommend this for first-timers nor if you are walking in shoulder seasons when the weather is unpredictable. It BARELY fit the RyanAir measuring boxes and they and the other discount airlines I used DID check (Stansted, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Gatwick, JFK).

Attachments

• IMG_6696.jpeg
    IMG_6696.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The dimensions you posted are for underseat bags not for carry on bags 55x40x20 which go in overhead locker.

If in doubt, pay for hold luggage and at the gate they should( maybe not) advise that you sack should go to oversize luggage due to all the straps
If not insist on this and take it to oversize luggage
No conveyor belts just straight on the plane and usually first off with the pushchairs
Enjoy

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Why bother with all the trouble and risk of extra pay. Add a check-in bag and be done with it. Unless I'm travelling very light (15-20 litre) I always check-in. The cost is not really that big. I also always pay for seat at the emergency exit row. I'm writing this even though at my last flight to Madrid the luggage arrived on the conveyor belt 60 minutes after landing and the plane was already 30 minutes late and I literally had to run to get to my bus at the new terminal.

They would be fine as a cabin bag in the overhead (which is an extra cost for each bag), but they are too big to go under the seat in front as a personal item. It seems that the ticket that @JanusDT purchased includes only a personal item. I suggested putting both backpacks in one checked bag because that it less expensive than two cabin bags.
This is what I did last year. I bought alight travel bag which held two rucksacks and checked them as hold luggage. Cheaper than two cabin bags and held our poles.

To the O P
We do, as recommended here.
Buy a packable holdall. In it pack both rucksacks and your poles. This way you pay for one piece of hold luggage.
Spare shoes and perhaps some heavy items we pack into day sacks to store beneath the seat in front of you. Our
2 x rucksacks and poles came in under 15kg limit on Vueling.

Should you wish to have your rucksacks transported while you walk I advise packing any stuff not required during the day's walk, into the packable holdall. Then walk carrying a change of shoes/sandals, sandwiches and suncream in your comfortable, well fitting rucksack.
Win, win

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Stuff as much as possible on to your carry on. Include the totally necessary items. Stuff the remainder of both your items into one backpack together with the other backpack. This way you will only have one checked in item. If disaster happens upon arrival the only thing having to be replaced are backpacks that are easily found at any sporting goods store.
And use your jacket pockets for socks, underwear, etc.

Hello everyone,

Thanks!
The Ryanair restrictions re size of carry is like how long is a piece of string, if you asked me. I took a back pack this year, Dublin to Biaritz & ensured it was the correct size....I saw so many people with bigger looking bags & they had no bother...just walked on...I just it's the chance you take. I left myself short a few bits for the week long walk. For example I took a really small sleeping bag & was cold one night as a result. Then I chanced bringibg my walking pole (folded down) & stuck that onto my bag. I thought they'd be sure to take it from me as it's length was longer than my bag dimensions. Again Ryanair staff didn't bat an eyelid. It seems to me but don't take this as fact that if your bags looks in and around the dimensions (a little bigger even) without being a big bulky massive suitcase that you might get through. I guess it depends on there being room for everyones luggage in the overhead ultimately...M

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello everyone,

Thanks!
I always check my backpack in the hold (I put it in a lockable tote bag to protect the straps etc).
Never had an issue with luggage not arriving (there's always a first time I guess)
I have to check my Pacerpoles anyway, as airlines consider them to be lethal weapons 😖😀.
World's gone crazy . . .
Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.