• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Carry on Air France

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Only you can judge that AFTER you pack it! The same size bag stuffed full has drastically different measurements than one minimally packed. Additionally, the different sizes of the same pack (S/M, L) actually have different dimensions, too. Men’s vs women’s and model type (Osprey what?!!! Stratos? Or ?) also affects the size

Your best bet is to pack it now with what you expect to take and then measure it against the limits posted on their website: “The maximum dimensions of your hand baggage are: 55 x 35 x 25 cm/21.6 x 13.7 x 9.8 in. (including pockets, wheels, and handles).”

I have carried a 45L pack on many different planes to Europe and South America with no problem whatsoever.

It measures longer than what Web Site says
But is the rigid part longer? Can you empty the top pouch and squeeze it into a box of those dimensions? That is what you might need to demonstrate at the airport, with their test frame.

Which Osprey is it? There are several 34L Osprey packs.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
According to the Osprey website, the Osprey Talon 36 has approximately the same length as the Osprey Talon 33, which I have - about 25 inches (depends on webpage, whether size is S/M or M/L and pack size). That measurement assumes a fully-packed back pack. When I measure my actual pack with nothing in the top pouch, it measures only 20.5 inches. When I take it on the airplane, I keep that top pouch empty.

As suggested above, you need to fill the main body of your pack only, and measure it. Then be prepared to carry it on the airplane like that.

I have carried a 45L pack on many different planes to Europe and South America with no problem whatsoever.
Every pack is different and the internal size (as measured in liters) means nothing when trying to fit it into a specific luggage sizer. I have flown a lot this past few years (domestically in the US and internationally) on multiple airlines and although not all check, some are incredibly strict as luggage fines/fees are part of their financial business model. You do not want to be chancing it when you arrive at the airport and realize that you not only will have to pay a fee for your oversized baggage, but that it will be getting checked instead of carried-on.

My pilgrim friend hauls his giant bag onto his flight twice a year and tells folks they never enforce that rule. Upon further questioning, he always flies business or first class, is a top level frequent flyer for that airline, and always boards first with the priority folks. Trust me, if he was in the back of the line with us super-economy steerage folks, his personal item wouldn’t even meet the requirements of a carry-on!

Follow the guideline. Don’t overpack. If you need something that didn’t make the cut, it’s cheaper and less stressful to pick it up at your destination.

Will I have a problem with an Osprey 34 NYC to Biarritz

Thanks in advance.
I have a Deuter 35L and it fit fine as long as the brain is empty and also the side pockets. I use a S2S ultralight backpack as my other carry on bag which accommodates all the things that will end up in the brain and side pockets. My husband's 40L Osprey also was fine.

Every pack is different and the internal size (as measured in liters) means nothing when trying to fit it into a specific luggage sizer. I have flown a lot this past few years (domestically in the US and internationally) on multiple airlines and although not all check, some are incredibly strict as luggage fines/fees are part of their financial business model. You do not want to be chancing it when you arrive at the airport and realize that you not only will have to pay a fee for your oversized baggage, but that it will be getting checked instead of carried-on.

My pilgrim friend hauls his giant bag onto his flight twice a year and tells folks they never enforce that rule. Upon further questioning, he always flies business or first class, is a top level frequent flyer for that airline, and always boards first with the priority folks. Trust me, if he was in the back of the line with us super-economy steerage folks, his personal item wouldn’t even meet the requirements of a carry-on!

Follow the guideline. Don’t overpack. If you need something that didn’t make the cut, it’s cheaper and less stressful to pick it up at your destination.
Good advice. I have a larger pack because I take a super light but bulky couch pillow on every camino. I have been to REI many times. I am always checking out packs and it seems mine (not full of course) has the dimensions of the largest 45L packs. Even with my big one. It is very light and I just weighed it for my October/November 45 day camino and it comes in at 6 kilos without food or water. So that old adage if you don't 100% know you will need it don't bring it. Still we all speak from our own experiences. I went through my shaky memory and have flown 30 transcontinental flights between the States and Europe and the States and South America on 10 different airlines and have never had even the slightest problem with my 2 different 45 liter packs. My first one was bought in 2005 so it was bigger and heavier than this one. But you never know what could happen next. When I check in at the gate (not boarding) I always take off my pack before I get to the counter and keep it under the counter while I am checking in. Can't be too safe haha.

But is the rigid part longer? Can you empty the top pouch and squeeze it into a box of those dimensions? That is what you might need to demonstrate at the airport, with their test frame.

Which Osprey is it? There are several 34L Osprey packs.
Mine is an REI pack and the first one I had could not be squeezed as it had a support bar at the top. My new one can be squeezed just a tiny bit but in both cases my pack fit ok. The top pouch might have been pushed in a little. (I can't be sure but there is nothing in that top pouch I need to worry about breaking.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
:::chuckle::: I'm about 5'7" (I've shrunk over time), a bit broad in the shoulders for a woman, and in reasonable health. '

I do the following if I have a marginal backpack (as my 36L 5.11 Tactical Skylight will be, based on my taping it, as well as the advertised sizing -it's a small/medium).

I check in online now, or use the kiosk. I stay away from airlines and airfares that charge extra for carry ons. If my flight's on one of those, no backpack, or I check it.

I wear a shirt that closely matches the strap colors, and have my small personal item very clearly in my hand (it's usually black or blue). As others have mentioned, that item holds as much of the bulky backpack contents as I can manage, plus anything I need to have access to during the flight.

I don't try this with something that super obviously won't fit in the box, as in, you can see the pack outlines if you're facing me. If the pack is visible past your outline, they're gonna want you to put it in the box.

Once past security, and while I'm in sight of the gate attendants, I'm standing facing them. Not hunched over, not struggling with the weight, and by all that's holy, not rummaging or fiddling with the pack.

Calmly walk on, greet the attendant, make my way to my seat, stow the backpack overhead myself, not needing assistance.

Again, I can usually pull this off because I'm taller-ish (so the backpack looks smaller) and strong enough to stow it myself. If these conditions don't match your experience, your mileage will vary.

I’m a fairly large guy and my bag on my back always looks smaller than in my hands! My tiny 5’ wife, however, makes her 28L bag look positively HUGE! 😂😂😂. Recently, I’ve mastered packing ultra-small to fit the “underseat only” tickets of Norse, Frontier, and RyanAir - they are notorious for checking everyone as you board.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In my younger days, if I had a carry on, or pack, and was concerned about carry-on dimensions, I wore my rain jacket (not full length) and underneath, my other light jacket at check-in. I also wore two ultralight shirts, and a medium weight shirt and my hiking shoes. My fanny was behind my back under my jacket and it was never noticed at check-in. I put socks in my pockets, and other items, like my cellphone in my pants pockets. I also brrought a large folded plastic bag. Once I got on the plane, as the plane was full, I put all of these items slowly in the plastic bag, including the rain jacket. It usually fit under the seat, or in the bin.

However, we almost always fly non-stop to Madrid now with a checked and carry-on baggage allowance that is more than we need.

It may have nothing to do with the size but with the weight requirement allowed by the airline. If you google Air France's baggage allowance, you will get this. Your cabin baggage must not exceed 55cm x 35cm x 25cm. Your accessory must not exceed 40cm x 30cm x 15cm. The total combined weight of your cabin baggage and accessory must not exceed 12kg if you are travelling economy or 18kg if you are travelling business class. That might help...

We had this issue with British Airways as well. Moving stuff from one bag to another did nothing to reduce the combined overall weight.

Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back