• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Carrying valuables

ScooterB

Time of past OR future Camino
April-May 2016 (Frances), June-July 2017 (Le Puy)
I have read some advice on this forum about how people carry their valuables and the importance of making sure you take them with you into the shower room. However, I haven't figured out what will be best for me as a container for money, passport, credit cards, etc. It doesn't seem like a waist belt would work since the pack already has a waist belt. I am not sure I want something weighing me down around my neck either. What has worked best for you, Camino veterans?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The only valuables I worry about are my money and credit cards, passport, credencial and mobile phone. I keep these in a ziplock plastic bag which fits comfortably in a zipped pocket of my walking trousers. Always on my person except when sleeping or showering.

I have read some advice on this forum about how people carry their valuables and the importance of making sure you take them with you into the shower room. However, I haven't figured out what will be best for me as a container for money, passport, credit cards, etc. It doesn't seem like a waist belt would work since the pack already has a waist belt. I am not sure I want something weighing me down around my neck either. What has worked best for you, Camino veterans?

Hi, Scooter,
Do you mean that your pack has a pouch in front for storing things? Or do you merely mean that your pack has a waist belt where the load gets transferred to your hips? If it's the latter, it's very easy to carry what we in the US call a fanny pack, just put it on before you put on your pack and the two belts will not interfere with each other. That is by far the easiest way to do things. I would not put my passport/wallet in my pack, because then any time during the day when you stop, you have to fish them out and put them somewhere. Others have a small pouch with valuables that fits on a side pocket or top pocket of their pack, ready for them to pull out at any stop. I've never had anything stolen from me on a Camino, but I would never let my fanny pack, with my passport, wallet, credit cards, etc, out of my sight.

Buen camino, Laurie

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I had them in a quart ziplock that I carried in the large side pocket on my backpacking pants.

I have an elastic belt the one in the picture (for the record, it's not me modelling it), which has multiple pockets which are perfect for flat objects such as bank cards and bank notes. It doesn't interfere with my pack's hip belt at all. (As an added bonus, it extends over the waist band of my trousers and stops my love handles from getting squeezed between trousers and hip belt.)
valuables belt.jpg

Hi, Scooter,
Do you mean that your pack has a pouch in front for storing things? Or do you merely mean that your pack has a waist belt where the load gets transferred to your hips? If it's the latter, it's very easy to carry what we in the US call a fanny pack, just put it on before you put on your pack and the two belts will not interfere with each other. That is by far the easiest way to do things. I would not put my passport/wallet in my pack, because then any time during the day when you stop, you have to fish them out and put them somewhere. Others have a small pouch with valuables that fits on a side pocket or top pocket of their pack, ready for them to pull out at any stop. I've never had anything stolen from me on a Camino, but I would never let my fanny pack, with my passport, wallet, credit cards, etc, out of my sight.

Buen camino, Laurie
Laurie, do you wear the pouch of the fanny pack in front of you or in back?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I carry all valuables ( national passport, Credencial, credit card, money ) in a plastic zip-lock sack within my money bag which fits around my waist under a shirt, ie unseen. The backpack waist/hip band closes on top. Cash for a day or two is in a jacket pocket. At night the money bag plus smartphone are sunk within my sleeping bag. Sunk within the backpack are a small stash of bills to use as emergency funds.

Last edited:
I carry a small cross body bag with passport, money, mobile, credential and camera, which I put on before the pack and don't take off again until shower time, when it goes in my drybag with all the other washing stuff. I can shorten the strap to keep it around my waist while I sleep, that way it comes with me to the loo at night too.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Cargo pants with many pockets. Zippers are the best closure, followed by buttons, followed by velcro. Velcro has a tendency to spontaneously open when you sit down, dumping coins and small objects onto the ground. My passport and credencial go into fairly heavy duty plastic pouches. Even if you protect them from rain, sweat and condensation from sweat can leave them soggy! They all go into a lightweight string pack for the shower and evening walking. Don't take anything that you cannot afford to lose; that includes a precious camera, smart phone, rings, watches, and jewelry. Do not put all your money and credit cards in one place. Very rarely you could be robbed, so you want to have a backup plan for that eventuality (and also the eventuality that you are simply negligent and lose something).

Walked for 6 months in various countries last year in Europe. Never had issues with anything stolen... though I lost or broke many things :D My bag was quite heavy and I was never too far from it so I figured I was okay.

I wore a fanny pack too - in front. I just wore it above the backpack's hipbelt. Ideally, the backpack's belt should go around the top of your HIPS, not your waist, so the weight is carried by your hips and not your shoulders. Many people have backpacks that are too 'short' for them and therefore put the belt around your waist.

I'd sometimes also loosen the straps as far as they'd go and sling the fanny pack over one shoulder and wear it as a cross-body bag, with the bag part in front. Both ways allowed me to reach my phone easily, as I used it as my camera and I wanted to access it quickly.

Either way, I could take the backpack off and my valuables would stay on me. Easy-peasy walking into a bar, around town, and I'd carry an over-the-door hook with me so I could hang up the bag in the shower stall.

Attachments

• waistbag.jpg
    waistbag.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 50
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
After 5 different walks on 2 Caminos (CF & VdlP) I can give you my experiences: I have never felt threatened or been approached by ill-meaning people. However, here is what I do:

I have a small lightweight waist belt that I use when not walking. It contains my passport, phone, and a few other essential items (code-generator for my bank, retirement discount card (only for Norway), All these items are important, but not invaluable, so while walking, my waist belt is on top in my backpack. I shouøld mention that I very rarely, only when with friends I trust, enter into a bar/cafe and leaving my backpack outside, unattended: I prefer to walk outside with a beer in hand and then take off my backpack and shoes...

What is important, are my cards (Mastercard credit, Visa debit, health insurance, travel insurance, drivers license). Visa is in my card holder with the other cards, Mastercard credit card in another pocket as a backup : If I lose one, I have the other). All pockets locked with zip. Cards & cash never leave my body. You may also consider putting 100 Euros hidden somewhere in you backpack as another backup: I have never felt the need, but it may give an extra security.

At night, everything goes into my waist belt, which is placed in the bottom of my sleeping bag. Untouchable! In the shower, the belt is going with me. Same in the kitchen; everywhere: Never out of sight.

Cash: I use the ATMs to take approx. 1 week spending money with my Visa debit card. But I start looking for an ATM when I have +- 100 Euros left. That way, I can make it to Santiago by train wherever I am. I am quite confident that when I arrive in Santiago, I can contact Ivar and he will know how to help me fix things (as a consultant, not for free) Please say I'm right Ivar!?

Point is; As long as you have some cash, You can go to a destination where friends or an embassy can help you out. As long as you can phone home, they (your nearest) can contact insurance, health care, bank, or whatever, and start sorting out your problems.

But remember what the dying man said: "All the things I feared would happen in my life never did",

Last edited:
I have a small handbag - very light, just big enough for my wallet, passport, credential, phone, and sunglasses case. When I was walking, I slipped this bag into the top of my pack, when I stopped, I took the handbag with me. When I showered I brought it to the shower with me (in a ziplock bag if needed).

My husband just kept his valuables in his pants pockets. When he showered, he put the valuables into the pockets of whatever pants he was putting on after his shower. He either took the pants into the shower stall with him or hung them outside the shower stall, depending on the set up. I think it would be really rare that someone would go through someone's pants pockets while they were in the shower.

u

ScooterB,
I use this. Weighs next to nothing.
I have it in the top of my rucksack with all my a valuables so comes out first. Waterproof and big enough for trips to the mercado for light shopping.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00B1941O0/?tag=casaivar-21
Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi JohnMcM - I also have the little Ultra-Sil Day Pack - very handy for shopping, and to take into the shower - not waterproof but splash proof for short periods, easily hangs on a hook out of harms way, with all my valuables inside and clothes hooked through the straps. Before and after camino it is my carry-on bag for the aeroplane.

Hi ScooterB - You said you're not sure about something around your neck, and yes, there is a bit of a trade off, but do take a look at this neck bag - it is waterproof, but has cloth on the outside, and I wear it constantly, even when going to sleep. It contains passport, credit card, extra cash, credencial. That leaves me free to keep a small coin purse in my trouser pocket for daily use.
I find it reasonably comfortable - used it on 3 caminos. The downside is it rubs against your skin a bit, but I wear it between two layers of clothing. I haven't taken to the idea of valuables in a plastic bag in trouser pockets - I'm too forgetful and might put it in the wash.

https://www.lifeventure.com/products/security/body-wallets/dristore-chest

I just carry a small shoulder bag type with my important papers many hikes without issues, yes at night it goes inside my sleeping bag basically never leaves my sight

zzotte

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Credit cards,big bills, credencial and passport live in a thick ziplock type bag, but uktra thick amd waterproof in my pants cargo, or Macabi, pockets, with cell. Small bills in another pocket with coins for spending during the day.

When it's shower time that bag comes with me in the shower and is hanged on the wall with a succupion cup that has a little hook.

At night it all goes inthe nylon bag the sleeping bag or liner live kn during the day, hung to the bed's rails by my head with a tie-wrap type thingy where my glasses also go.

Ipad on me when roaming around town in a nylon shopping bag woth wallet etc.

Hi JohnMcM - I also have the little Ultra-Sil Day Pack - very handy for shopping, and to take into the shower - not waterproof but splash proof for short periods, easily hangs on a hook out of harms way, with all my valuables inside and clothes hooked through the straps. Before and after camino it is my carry-on bag for the aeroplane.
This only works if said showr stall has a hook....

u

ScooterB,
I use this. Weighs next to nothing.
I have it in the top of my rucksack with all my a valuables so comes out first. Waterproof and big enough for trips to the mercado for light shopping.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00B1941O0/?tag=casaivar-21
Buen Camino
Just bought this bag's cousin, the snatchel rather than backpack, but ot makes a whole lot of noise, bit at least my I pad won't end up on the pavement as it did in Lugo last spring when

This only works if said showr stall has a hook....
I have to admit that it can get a bit tricky then. Some people carry a suction cup with small hook. I haven't encountered many showers without some sort of structure to hook the loops of the bag over.

Last edited:
Pockets. Wonderful deep pockets with hidden inside security pouches and internal zips. The main reason I like Macabi skirts. It means I never get up and leave my important stuff behind, and I am "hands free" at all times. When taking a shower I transfer my stuff to a ziplock plastic bag.

I used a Bum/Fanny pack carried in the front, it never interfered with the waist straps of my backpack. I also separated credit/bank cards and money, some hidden the the backpack and the rest in the waist bag. Passport and credential was in the waist bag with a copy of the passport in the backpack.
When it came to the shower everything went in the waist bag, that went into a waterproof stuff sack and if there was no hook in the shower, then it went on the floor.
I have to say that there weren't many places that didn't have somewhere to hang stuff up.

Before I did the CF there was loads of advice about security and phone charging etc, when preparing I found this very useful. Although I never left my valuable lying around, I did put my phone on charge and left it while doing my ablutions and washing, never once did I haver a problem. I'm not saying it's something you should do, it's just how I did it. The bottom line is that although there are many nationalities travelling There Way, most are honest just like you and I.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s//ref...andz&tag=&tag=casaivar02-20&tag=casaivar02-20

This is what I got. It can be worn on the outside of your clothes around your hips for easy access, or wear it under your clothes for more security which is what I plan on doing. Its super stretchy and accomodates passports, phones, cameras, money etc. i plan on also carrying a stretchy small belty thing for my camera/phone on the outside of my clothes. Its VERY comfortable!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s//ref...andz&tag=&tag=casaivar02-20&tag=casaivar02-20

This is what I got. It can be worn on the outside of your clothes around your hips for easy access, or wear it under your clothes for more security which is what I plan on doing. Its super stretchy and accomodates passports, phones, cameras, money etc. i plan on also carrying a stretchy small belty thing for my camera/phone on the outside of my clothes. Its VERY comfortable!
Don't forget to put your passport in a ziplock baggie so that it doesn't get damaged from sweat.

I use a bumbag/fannypack that has three zippered compartments. One for passports, one for credit cards and the last one for large denomination notes.

I never take it off (ever) unless I'm in the shower and it stays in the shower compartment with me under my clothes so it can't be seen. I have used it for over 30 years whenever I travel overseas and I have never had it stolen.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, Scooter,

Buen camino, Laurie
That is what I found also. Easy to have the card, money, passport and electronics always on me. Mine was the right size for a very lightweight dry pack that lived in the same place and was used, if needed, in the shower (if I could not hang it far enough away from the water).

I haven't taken to the idea of valuables in a plastic bag in trouser pockets - I'm too forgetful and might put it in the wash.
Be very careful of this system. Last year in Condom after being overjoyed at finding an automatic washing machine I quickly changed my clothes and put them in the machine to wash. While hanging out my freshly washed clothes I found my destroyed passport in a mangled vip lock bag. End of Camino.

Credit cards,big bills, credencial and passport live in a thick ziplock type bag, but uktra thick amd waterproof in my pants cargo, or Macabi, pockets, with cell. Small bills in another pocket with coins for spending during the day.
I leave all my bills, big and small, behind at home. I cannot see the point of carrying them on the Camino:confused:.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I use Ribzwear front pack and carry important documents and snacks etc. but don't over pack it. My wife likes hers too.
(www.ribzwear.com) they are very practical. I use it for day hikes rather than a daypack.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yep, exactly what I do but make sure you bring few extra quart size bags because the bags take some abuse after spending several weeks in my pocket.
Exactly. Most of mine is abrasion or snags on the pocket zipper itself. My preference is the slightly heavier "freezer" weight instead of the lighter versions. Also, I like the sliding tab as I think it stands up to more use than the press and seal versions.

Be very careful of this system. Last year in Condom after being overjoyed at finding an automatic washing machine I quickly changed my clothes and put them in the machine to wash. While hanging out my freshly washed clothes I found my destroyed passport in a mangled vip lock bag. End of Camino.
Ouch! Sympathy.

Exactly. Most of mine is abrasion or snags on the pocket zipper itself. My preference is the slightly heavier "freezer" weight instead of the lighter versions. Also, I like the sliding tab as I think it stands up to more use than the press and seal versions.
The other advantage is the protection from sweat, rain and the sauna that occurs inside a poncho!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Walked for 6 months in various countries last year in Europe. Never had issues with anything stolen... though I lost or broke many things :D My bag was quite heavy and I was never too far from it so I figured I was okay.
I walked the Camino Frances 2 years ago. Got money out of bank in Leon and when at hostel in Villandangos someone was walking around with a torch early morning, shining it in my eyes. My husband and daughter got up earlier and I thought it was them. Later saw an entry in visitors book telling of someone crawling around under the beds in another of the dormitories. I didn't think anything further about it until at Astorga I found all my bills had been taken from my purse!! I had left it in the room just for a short time when I went to the toilet. A few days later another lady at a hostel in Molinaseca told us of coming into her room and finding an older man fiddling with her backpack. She shouted at him and he let out a stream of language and disappeared. So don't ever take any chances.

@trecile - It might, but I would be wary of how that thick strap and also a buckle type thing would feel underneath the pack - it might rub? You could try it and return it I suppose.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In front. There's too much stuff in it for it to fit under my shirt, like ms path's. I'm sure I can dig up a picture or two but I'm getting on a plane right now. My children get endless pleasure from ridiculing the dorkiness of my looks.

I have been able to find the sweet spot so that the buckle of the pack doesn't get squished into my back by the backpack belt. In terms of comfort, it's great.

I've solved the problem of it tilting to one side by carrying a water bottle on each side of the waist pack. In the evenings, when walking around town, I just adjust the waist belt and carry it over my shoulder like a purse (without the water bottles, of course.). I realize I don't make much of a fashion statement but I'm well beyond the point in life when that was a concern.

The pack is not waterproof, so I always carry a strong plastic bag to cover it in the shower if needed (that bag does double duty as the bag I hold out to bar owners when I ask for some cubes of ice to soothe my shins/heel, etc, at the end of the day).

Attachments

• ferrol.jpg
    ferrol.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 23

Most read last week in this forum

Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hello all. I am planning my first camino end of May. fly into Porto and head north. I plan on staying in Albergos and had a few questions. Should I being my own towel? How far in advance do I...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.