A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Cathedral considering restricting access to Portico

There's an interesting article in the current Voz de Galicia http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/ed_santiag ... TO=4037226
on the damage being caused by visitors to the Portico de la Gloria, placing their hand on the column etc. In the view of the cathedral authorities, the accumulative effect of the current number of visitors is not sustainable.

Various options are being considered of which the favourite at the moment is to limit access to groups accompanied by an official guide. This would have the additional advantage of reducing the noise and disturbance to church services caused by visitors to the Portico.

They/we are lucky that Galicia's stone is granite; if it were sandstone like my local cathedral, the carvings would have disappeared centuries ago!

Advertisment

Kanga

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata.
The suggestions that access should be only to groups with an official guide is terrible! That means that a rich tourist who arrives on a bus or car will get access, whereas someone who has walked across Europe to worship in the Cathedral would not.

Far better to limit access, if there really is a need, to those who can show a compostella, i.e. they have walked at least the last 100 kilometres.

I may have phrased this badly. The cathedral would provide the guides, and pilgrims would be grouped together, such as happens with many other historical sites, such as the Pantheon in Leon. The aim is to limit/reduce the damage currently being wrought by uncontrolled access, not to prevent pilgrims or anyone else from seeing the Portico. It would mean the end of placing hand, banging head on the column, and the various other rituals.

Cathedral restrictions

Has the idea of restricting access to the Portico de la Gloria not been floated many times before and rejected each time. Perhaps this is the time they will bring in restrictions but if I was a betting man my money would be on these restrictions being postponed, cancelled, forgotten or ignored until another day.
Restricting access during services is another matter though.
William

Advertisment

Looks like your scepticism is justified, William. At yesterday's meeting of the Consello Xacobeo, there were calls for 'more detailed studies' on the issue - the standard recourse of all politicians/bureaucrats who are unsure what to do ;-)

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Pilgrims here right now

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 32 4.6%
  • April

Votes: 106 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 172 24.6%