• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Class of 2008!

You '2008' peregrinos could all buy a couple of Santiago-Today Forum button badges to pin onto your packs and hats. That way you might meet each other. A pack of 10 pin badges only costs $10.

http://www.cafepress.com/santiagoforum

Attachments

• Button badges.jpg
    Button badges.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 854
A selection of Camino Jewellery
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Lillian,

I just realized I was in your neck of the woods this week. I attended a symposium of sailors with disabilities in St Pete.

Oh, and on the fanny pack placement...

Buen Camino

Arn

Hi

Greetings to you all, it's wonderful to be sharing all our pre-Camino excitement, no? I'm another Canuck (presently in Ottawa but from the west coast) making her way to the Camino for the first time in April/May 2008. Just got my boots (yes, boots... didn't know there was a shoe/boot debate and the guys at Mountain Equipment Co-op definitely said boots were needed for support and the distance) and starting to pack. Any words of advice re: weather for early/mid April over the Camino Frances from SJPP? I've seen conflicting information on what to pack for the Spring.

Looking forward to meeting you there!

Melinda

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, there!

Here is one from Korea!
:p :p
Good to know this site is around.
I will start from Le Puy, France..all the way to Santiago, if I still alive after the Le Puy route! (750km)
I will take months to finish, nothing to rush.. C'est la vie attitude I guess.

I will visit here everyday to get some high energy for Camino.
I found the Le Puy exciting as much as the French route.

Have a wonderful preparation!
Buen Camino, tous les jours~

Hi and welcome!

Yes we sure are a world hopping group. I guess that's what draws pilgrims to the Camino.

I was stationed in Seoul, Pusan and P-Y-D several times over a 20 year period. I found the Korean people to be most generous and interested in teaching me about their culture and history. My Son still proudly displays Admiral Yi Sun-Sin's Turtle boat.

I look forward to meeting you at some time along the Milky Way...If not in person, then in spirit.

Buen Camino,
Arn

Brendan, hi there on the subject of you being a hospitalero how did you go about being accepted to to this. I had contacted the American Pilgrim Company and they expected me to travel to Santa Barbara for training which would have been impossible for me. So through who did you obtain this post and want training was expected, I am interested in it for a University project and a credit from my University. I would appreciate some info.
Thanks,
niel

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi everyone!

My fiance and I will be walking the camino for our honeymoon! We're leaving for Paris on the 11th March this year and will be starting from SJPP on the 19th March. We're hugely excited and have 95% of our gear and are in the process of breaking in our shoes. :D I see that there are quite a few others from Melbourne around too!

I hope to see some of you guys around the forum and the trail!

Pat.

Hi Niel! I would like to be a hospitalera as well, but am saving that training for after I complete the Camino in May. :) I think it will be great to go back in 2009 to help out with the Holy Year & maybe get some walking done between Leon & Sarria. :)

Kelly

I think that for most of the hospitalero training they want you to have completed your Camino first!
Buen Camino,

Well, another milestone passed, while sitting in a plush leather chair in my parlor...fire roaring!

I received my credential today from the American Pilgrim. I am now officially registered!

I know there was some talk that the cathedral in SDC was looking askance at some issuing organizations, but I believe they were more concerned with "official" tour groups that were "selling" the Camino and a "guaranteed"Compostela. Not recognized pilgrim organizations such as CSJ, AmerPil, Company of Pilgrims,etc.

SOOOOOOOOOOOO....come on April!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Buen CAMINO!!!!!!

Arn

PS, and I believe Deirdre got hers when in Paris this past weekend...Congrats!

The first stamp in our credential was given by the local Catholic Bishop and the second was from St James' church in Durban. Perhaps you could get a couple before you leave home Arn?

Congratulations, Arn, on receiving your credencial! Now you are "officially" a Pilgrim - although most say your pilgrimage begins when you first begin to think about your Way. The time will pass before you know it! It was 5 months ago on Friday when I walked into Santiago...I can hardly believe it...and now more and more it appears that there is another Camino in my future. Santiago clearly isn't done with me yet! I'm not sure exactly what nature the Way will have for me next - we'll have to see what the next couple of months bring...but I sense that something is in the offing.

Put another log on the fire, pour yourself a glass of ....(fill in with the appropriate aperitif) and browse the photos posted by Pilgrims. You're already there!

Buen Camino,

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Deirdre said:
It was 5 months ago on Friday when I walked into Santiago...I can hardly believe it...and now more and more it appears that there is another Camino in my future.

Yikes - tomorrow is my 5-month Santiago anniversary. I'm hoping for another Camino as well, if not two. The Sevilla route looks cool, and I'd love to do the Portuguese one as well...regular vacations don't seem to have the same appeal anymore now that the Camino is in my blood (and feet)... :arrow:

Hello Fellow Pilgrims, I joined this forum in Jan. 06 I walked the Camino France in 2006. I will be leaving for the same on April 29th. I will be going with my daughter and her friend this time. I have dreamed so much about going back and now it is days away. I feel like I will be able to savor it a little bit more because I have 6 weeks this time! I am from Washington State and will hopefully start on th 1st of May if not the 2nd. As we say
Buen Camino Vana

nathanael said:
Brendan, hi there on the subject of you being a hospitalero how did you go about being accepted to to this. I had contacted the American Pilgrim Company and they expected me to travel to Santa Barbara for training which would have been impossible for me. So through who did you obtain this post and want training was expected, I am interested in it for a University project and a credit from my University. I would appreciate some info.
Thanks,
niel

Nathanael, this course (described below) is being offered in your neck of the woods.
I copied the following information about the course from the American Pilgrims site. You might want to contact the instructor to inquire about future offerings of the course, once you have completed your Camino.
Tom may be able to answer other questions you may have about hospitaleros, their jobs and their training.

LONDON, ONTARIO, CANADA
Hospitalero Training Course
Friday, April 18 to Sunday, April 20, 2008

This is one of those rare opportunities for hospitalero training in North America! Those who have gone on from walking the Camino to serving as hospitaleros say that this experience if anything is even more rewarding than the Camino itself.

This program will begin on Friday evening with a tapas and paella reception and dinner and will conclude on Sunday evening with a reception for the local pilgrim community.

The registration fee for the course is $100 and meals (except for Saturday evening) are included in this cost. There is a limit of 20 participants and registrants must have had previous experience as pilgrims on the Camino de Santiago. Housing can be arranged by request.

For further information contact Tom Friesen at 519-439-8900 or tomfriesen@hotmail.com.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
vinotinto said:
I'm hoping for another Camino as well, if not two. The Sevilla route looks cool, and I'd love to do the Portuguese one as well...regular vacations don't seem to have the same appeal anymore now that the Camino is in my blood (and feet)... :arrow:

Know what you mean - we haven't even started our first Camino and we already starting to think which one we would like to do next!!!!

Thanks everybody for your info on being a hospitalero but I have decided to to take my lose and give up the notion. I am required by the University to do a field placement of 250 hours to obtain a credit and it is obvious it cannot be obtained from the hostels. Most are only willing to give me 15 days of volunteering, so I will do the Camino and enjoy it.

Again thanks Brendan and all for your info.

niel

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My plan is to be arriving at Leon by bus from Madrid on the 10 of April and I have about fifteen sixteen days to get to Santiago -0 plan is to spend my birthday enreoute on 26th.
Mic

May this be an addiction? An obsession? How many of us feel that life is so different since the camino? The desire to do it again is so strong in me, that I made reservations to go to Spain on May 15. Yep, doing it again. Only thing is I am not sure which Camino to take. I have never seen southern Spain and I am thinking of doing the tourist thing in Cordoba, Granada, Morocco and then up to Sevilla and walk the VdlP. I have 2 months and hope it is enough time. To those who know, about how much time do I need, not rushing, to get to Santiago? Another reason is that as someone who is not fond of freezing weather, I would think I would be walking during a cool month in the warmer south, into a cooler clime by end of June (where it won't be cold). At least I hope I am right.
Anyone else thinking about the VdlP?
If not enough time, then who knows..... there is the Primitivo that looks beautiul, and then there is always my first love, the CF.
Merrily, merrily....
Lillian
Arn, I just saw your message about being in my neck of the woods, I missed it somehow. Next time, let's connect.

Lillian wrote:Next time, let's connect.

Hi...yup, it's obvious the bug has got to you and you're back on the Way to SDC. Good on ya!

I will again be going to St Pete for the Disabled Sailing Mid-Winters the end of Feb. As I go across the top of FL, I usually drop down at Stark...then across to Tampa. Let's see what we can work out!

I will be teaching youth sailing and kids with disabilities this summer in Maine and, if all goes well, will have an opportunity to take Deirdre and her Son out for a sail. In that I return to the US June 1st and arrive in Winter Harbor June 15th, I will have to work hard to get my sea legs back.

Buen Camino and ship ahoy!

Arn

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Dale,
The spring weather is really unpredicatable - and especially so in the mountains. In the last few years - since 2005 - there has been snow on the camino in April and even as late as early May. The important thing to remember is to listen to the locals when you get to the south of France and especially before crossing from St Jean to Roncesvalles. If they say don't cross, then then don't cross. Even if you have a take a taxi the next day. If they suggest that you take the road route then take that route.
As you know, there are two routes to Roncesvalles. The Route Napoleon and the Val Carlos route which is on the road. If bad weather is forecast and you have to take the Val Varlos route IGNORE all camino signs that point to detours off the road. These paths can be just as trecherous as the route Napoleon.
Last year on 5th April, an experienced hiker, Chris Phillips from England, died after getting stuck in a blizzard crossing from St Jean. He was found close to Ortzanzurieta, less than two miles from Roncesvalles and only 50m from the road.
In 2005 a South African pilgrim wrote that she was 'forced to her knees' on the camino. She started out in snow from Pamplona on 8th April. She struggled on through rain and rivers of mud but at Villa Mayor de Monjardin it began to snow again and she ended up in hospital in Burgos with hypothermia. That was the end of her camino.
You could be lucky and walk in bright sunshine, but be prepared for all weathers.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Dale...welcome to the Class of 2008!

Depending on where you start in France, you will be tagging up with a fairly sizable bunch from S-T. For the past several months we've been encouraging each other on, making recommendations out the wazoo and, more importantly...getting sage insight about the Camino from the likes of Br. David, Deirdre, Ivar, Lillian, Kelly, Niel, Sil, Vinotinto to name just a few.

Keep in touch and just possibly we will meet along the Milky Way.

Buen Camino,

Arn

OOPS...I was just checking the "Spirits" thread and came face to face with the most SAGE of all sages...Johnny Walker. Dale, his information and deep appreciation for all things Camino are classic. To the point he's often completely lost his head over the Way!

regards
Arn

Well ..... only 16 weeks to go!!!!! (almost counting the number of sleeps :lol: )

Got the packs, walking in the shoes, can't stop talking about the camino!!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Same here Mouse, can't stop talking about it. Partly because of all the questions I'm getting from friends, family, co-workers etc. and partly from my own excitment. Exactly 8 weeks and counting!!!!
Arlene

Cecelia, hi there I read your note on preventing blisters and went out to Mountain Equipment Coop and bought a pair of Raichle boots with leather lining. I also bought Liner socks called Ultimax Liners and a pair of heaver ones to go over top called Lit Walker ( Merlino-Tec ) with cushioned heal and toe
Now I find the boots somewhat too stiff is that the usual for this type of boot I have never experienced this before. It was recommended that I wear the boots around the house until I feel comfortable with them before I break them outside for walking. The boots are great and I do like them they seem good quality but it is the stiffness especially around toe area that bothers me. Would appreciate your advice.
Thanks.
niel

Niel,

Leather boots, if well made, are stiff especially in the toe and in the support area of the heel and ankle. They will become more pliable and begin to fit your foot the more you wear them and in all types of weather. Prior to Gore-Tex, we had to continually water proof the leather because once wet the leather became slippery and the movement caused blisters. With the Gore-Tex boot, the water is kept out, but if the water goes over and into the boot...the water stays in.

Many folks, myself included wear gaiters. There are two kinds, a short gaiter that basically covers the opening from the ankle to a few inches above the sock. This serves to keep pebbles, sand and stick/burrs from entering the boot. The other is a mid-calf gaiter that's good for the preceding but, also for areas where there's bramble bushes or thickets where you want to protect your shins from scratches and also, in snow, where you don't want to wear long trousers, but rather stay in shorts.

When you purchased your boots, the salesperson should have put you on an incline board to approximate up/down hill pressure on your boot. When properly fit, the laced area of the boot takes the load, not your toes, or ankles. If the boot didn't fit properly and the salesperson corrected the toe pressure by just tightening the ankle support...they did an injustice to your feet and you.

Any good boot company will stand behind their boot. I wore Merrell leather boots on the AT. When I had a stitching problem, I called them from the Trail...explained my problem. They asked if I had a second pair, I said no. They arranged for a new pair of "good no break in " boots sent ahead. When I got there, I mailed them my 1000 mile boots, wore the others they sent and 100 miles up the trail...got my original boots back...stitched and ready to go.. No Charge! Plus I was told to keep the other "day hiker" boots, which I mailed home.

Get good boots, from a good company, sold to you by a salesperson that "knows" boots and you'll have a Buen Camino.

Arn

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Arn, thanks for feed back the sales person did put me on an incline board but even then I was not fully satisfied with the boots. My biggest complaint is that with the leather lining they are extremely hot and I mean too hot, plus I do feel somewhat of a pressure on the L. large toe. I will go else where tomorrow and look I am able to return these ones I have purchased. Raichle boots are not for me that is what these are.
Again thanks back to the big city tomorrow and look.
niel

Arn said:
Many folks, myself included wear gaiters.

I brought an REI brand of gaiters with me to the Camino, but I quickly got rid of them. They were too hard to put on, and felt uncomfortable - I made the mistake of buying the sale-priced model, which is a bad idea when you don't know much about an item of equipment.

However, I don't remember seeing too many folks using gaiters on the Way, so I wouldn't sweat it too much if you lack them. I never had a problem with rocks & such slipping into my boots - although here and there I did have to pick off those green, round, and sticky seedlings off my socks, and the tops of my socks got dusty on the drier parts of the Camino.

With that in mind, I can see the benefit of a gaiter, provided a "gaiter novice" gets some instruction on how they should fit, and what types are available and preferable for Camino conditions. It certainly would've saved me some time, weight, and money... :arrow:

Vinotinto wrote:I can see the benefit of a gaiter,

From what I've seen of the Way, it's a lot different from the AT...where rocks were very sharp, the trail often narrow, the grasses thick and high and the BOGS...wet and stinky.

In all the above, the gaiters were a God's send. They protected my shins from cuts and abrasions, kept the thorns at bay, the ticks off my socks and, on several occasions where I stepped "through" the top layer of a bog...provided me ample time to say "OH...Shi....errr DUNG" and pulled my foot back before I filled my boot.

As with any piece of equipment...if it doesn't fit the terrain, climate or mission...it's just dead weight!

Buen Camino
Arn

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Well...another milestone!

Today I purchased my airline tickets and got my Altus Poncho in the mail...the last piece of equipment I'll need to purchase.

How good this feels!

Buen Camino...my friends
Arn

Hi Arn, read your note on the purchasing of your Altus Poncho is that a covering against the rain/ Would appreciate some more on this item and where to purchase it.
Thanks,
niel

Hi Niel,

Sil put me on to this and I've checked several others. Here's the link:

Barrabes.com

ATMOSPHERIC RAIN CAPE
Altus Code: 79363

it's small and weighs in at: 0,430 kg. L/XL: 0,500 kg.

Buen Camino,

Arn

Hey, Arn!
Things are moving right along! You'll be sipping Ribera del Duero before you know it!

The poncho is a great idea. Since reading Sil's information on it, I have looked at it as well. I have all my equipment from last year, but think that I shall add a poncho. The rain coat served well, but didn't keep the pack dry. And it was rather heavy even though it folded up into a little pocket - God Bless LLBean! :)

I've just added something else as well... a tiny tripod for my digital camera! I lost nearly all my interior photos last year...due to shaky hands (and the need to breathe, imagine!) while taking photos in churches, (including the Cathedral at Santiago and the botafumeiro) etc. without flash. Hopefully the tripod will alleviate some of that.

Just as an aside... in the last year Spain has banned all photos in palaces, many muesums and most "high traffic" tourist sites. In the past most of these places had allowed photos "sin flash", but unfortunatley too many people simply ignored the "sin flash" rule, took their photos at will and so now they have forbidden photos of any kind! The museum "guards" are quite strict about it. It is very disappointing. Iit would be so much simpler if poeple would just abide by the rules....

Buen Camino,

Deirdre wrote:if poeple would just abide by the rules....

There will always be folks that believe the "rules" were obviously written to rein in the "unwashed" and they, the "elite" are above them.

Sadly, it's these A-holes that are often the first to claim rights or privilege while others MUST do without, conserve or make do. I'll take my camera and shoot the best I can AND follow the rules!

89 days until I begin My Camino!

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement.

Salud,
Arn

Hi!

I will do the Camino in July/August. I know it´s not the best time to do it, but don´t really have a choice.

I have never done a hike like this before, and therefore welcome all advice I can get! How should I start to train? I will of course try to walk as much as I can, but think that I will only be able to do two two-three days walkes before I leave. Is that enough?

I have not decided weather to start walking from SJPP or Roncevalles. Have heard that the walk from SJPP to R is the thoughest on the whole trip, so maybe it is not a good idea for someone who has really never hike before to start from SJPP. Any thougths?

Anna
Sweden

Anna...welcome to the Class of 2008!

You've already taken the first step of Your Camino and now the fun begins. On this forum you will find answers and suggestions on many of your concerns: what to wear, what to carry, how to train and how to get there.

May I suggest that you take a look at the forum....top to bottom...when you find a thread that interests..take a look. Believe me when I say that ANY topic you can think of has been answered, from when to go (July/August has it's good points and some challenges), bed bugs, faith, self medication, etc.

Most importantly, you are now among friends that will be pleased to answer your questions. Especially Vinotinto who appears to know of every vino bodega on the Camino.

Buen Camino,

Arn

LillAnna said:
I have not decided weather to start walking from SJPP or Roncevalles. Have heard that the walk from SJPP to R is the thoughest on the whole trip, so maybe it is not a good idea for someone who has really never hike before to start from SJPP. Any thougths?

Although it's difficult, the St. Jean - Roncesvalles stage is also one of the most beautiful (at least when the weather is nice, as it was when I walked it). Seeing the sun rise over the panoramic mountains on the first day of your Camino - wow.

I wasn't much of a hiker either when I went. I didn't train before I left, I took way too much stuff, and my boots/inserts were funky as well. But I'm glad I did that stage. And with the info on this site, from those who've walked the Way many times to enthusiastic soon-to-be-pilgrims with extensive hiking experience (like Arn), you should be much more prepared than I was when you begin your Camino.

And if nothing else, there's plenty of Spanish vino all along the Way to kill whatever pain you might be experiencing... :wink: :arrow:

Vinotinto wrote: there's plenty of Spanish vino all along the Way

If you haven't found it yet, be sure to check out the "Spirits of a Different Kind" thread. It's not so much the location or type of spirits you will find, but rather the traditions, mysteries and social interactions these imbibing opportunities tie into your Camino.

Buen Camino,
Arn

OOPs...before Sil beats me on the head with a Knobkierie, the correct thread title is "Spirits of a (Liquid) Kind."

SOrry, I've just begun a good afternoon Mount Gay Rum and Coke to chase down the fine German Spiced wine I had at lunch, which followed my morning Bloody Mary!

I was doing alright until the Jehovah's Witnesses fellows came by and wanted to cite scripture all morning. I think I gave as good as I got. Still holding my own and haven't spilled a drop!

Praise...em, whomever!

Arn

Arn said:
SOrry, I've just begun a good afternoon Mount Gay Rum and Coke to chase down the fine German Spiced wine I had at lunch, which followed my morning Bloody Mary!

Man, yer liver must be a'quiverin'... :wink: What's up with the "German Spiced wine?" What is it spiced with? I'm guessing it's white wine, cuz the Germans are big on that sort of thing. But if I'm wrong, then I'm even more intrigued...

Arn said:
Still holding my own and haven't spilled a drop!

You have the advantage, cuz I think they are teetotallers... :mrgreen:

Vinotinto wrote:I'm guessing it's white wine, cuz the Germans are big on that sort of thing. But if I'm wrong, then I'm even more intrigued...

Ah, Master...this insignificant Grasshopper has finally got one on you.

Here's the skinney:

In Nurnberg is the Christkindles Market, during the winter months a product called: Gerstacker Gulhwein or Glow Wine is made. It's a Red and has "secret" spices added. Although you can serve it either heated or on ice...I prefer it hot (but not more than 170degrees).

heres the link:

http://www.gerstacker.info/uframes/ufr_2_2_1.html

There you are!

Salud,
Arn

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Well everyone not having any luck in finding proper boots, went to a number of shops and cannot find a boot that fits. On Tuesday when I go to class will try another place and hope all will turn out other wise I might have to cancel this trip. They don't seem to have my size not wide enough. I bought a pair of Raichle with leather liners but they were not comfortable could feel hot spots. I asked about Brasher boots- Sulpalite GTX and they don't seem to know them. I tried a boot called Garmont with Gortex but didn't feel right and by the way at this place they only had boots with Gortex. Have gone to Mountain Equipment Coop and Euro bound-Hikers Haven here in Canada. Any suggestions!
Thanks.
niel

Niel - don't even think of cancelling your walk! If you can't find boots, wear shoes.
I would say that at least a third of all pilgrims wear ordinary hiking or trail shoes - not boots. I walked across England in 2001, the Camino Frances in 2002, the Via Turonensis in 2004 - all in New Balance all terrain running shoes.
I bought boots to wear on the Via Francigena because we were going to cross the Alps in the snow (1000m higher than the Ibeneta pass and three days of climbing). I used my boots again last year - got blisters and walked the remaining 650kms in sandals.
Next year I will walk the Chemins du Piemont in trail shoes and sandals.
Listen to Aunty Sil and start looking for walking shoes.

Attachments

• Boot camp .JPG
    Boot camp .JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 590
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
sillydoll said:
Niel - don't even think of cancelling your walk! If you can't find boots, wear shoes.
I would say that at least a third of all pilgrims wear ordinary hiking or trail shoes - not boots.
Listen to Aunty Sil and start looking for walking shoes.
sillydoll said:
I love your advice here sil ... and I absolutely love that wonderful photograph!

I have been wearing walking shoes for months now and am loving them. I made sure I got good non-slip vibram soles though, after a nasty 2006 experience in my more ordinary New Balance shoes when I slipped and started rolling in the wind on Croagh Patrick in Ireland. Quite unnerving!- and must have been quite a sight for the guy above me on the hill, panicking about how to get to me quickly, and how I was going to come out of the experience. (Bruised elbow and dignity were the main problems - fortunately.)
Margaret

For what it is worth - my preference is always for walking shoes. Even for winter walking I use mid ankle shoes with gore-tex rather than boots - with gaiters they are fine for most conditions.

Arn said:
In Nurnberg is the Christkindles Market, during the winter months a product called: Gerstacker Gulhwein or Glow Wine is made. It's a Red and has "secret" spices added. Although you can serve it either heated or on ice...I prefer it hot (but not more than 170degrees).

Arn,

We have this in Sweden as well, only we call it glögg. Here they often use cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, and they sometimes also add vodka, rum or brandy. We have both white and red wine versions, although the red is more common. This year we tried a very good white one, with vanilla flavouring. It's often served with raisins and nuts. :)

Arn, you said a few posts ago that it was 89 days until your camino, I was under the impression that you'd start walking in early April.

Anyway, as an update on my preparations I now have to look for new rain gear, as the ones I bought couldn't even keep me dry in a light drizzle. Now, I'm trying to get my money back from the company that sold it to me, as the clothes obviously are not working. Not as easy as it seems.
Does anyone have any experience with GoLite's products? At the moment I'm looking into buying one of their jackets (GoLite Gamut) and a pair of pants from Marmot (the Precip pants).

Buen camino! (Just another 67 days before I leave)
Hilda

Re: Class of 2008! Raingear

Hi Hilda,
You might like to consider the ALTUS rain cape that is a raincoat and poncho in one. You can put it on with the backpack on as it has a 'hump' at the back to accommodate the pack Covers you and the backpack, opens down the front, sealed seams, vents on the chest. They had a special last week - 16.80 euro.
Available from www. barrabes.com

Attachments

• raincoat poncho.jpg
    raincoat poncho.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 531
Niel,
I walked half the Camino in New Balance walking shoes and half in Teva sandals. I preferred the sandals, but they were both very good. I too have a wide foot, so had a hard time finding shoes. new Balance has quite a collection.
Good Luck, and go go go to the Camino.
Love to all
Lillian

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Boy...you can feel the Class of 2008 getting rowdy and excited as we move toward Our Camino!

Ist for Hilda...I will be on the Camino at SJPDP beginning on April 19th (one day either way). I'm sure Vinotinto will agree that Marines have a problem counting above 20...that's with both hands visible and boots off. I just received my Altus Poncho. On that day, I was thinking of canceling my training walk because of a severe downpour...I believe the Poncho arrived as a sign...not to give up. So I broke the wrapper, jumped into my boots, put on my pack...undid the snaps on the Poncho to accommodate the pack and set off. I wasn't completely dry around the lower legs, but fine up topside. There's always a concern about "sweating" inside a raincoat, but the ability to open the snaps at front and velcro where I needed breathing worked out fine.

Now for Niel...a bit of tough love here and, I hope, practical info. There's a very old Marine adage..."Better a good plan today...then the perfect plan never!" From what I read of your posts, you're 95% committed and 5% wimp ass! You have a decision to make on what to wear on your feet. The Camino, with some short exceptions (at least from what I can determine from comments and a solid review of the terrain contours) is a comfortable day hike that just happens to be about 800km long. Pilgrims in the past did the Camino without Vibram soles, specially sized or waterproofed boots. In most cases they wore sandals, if they had anything to wear at all.

My understanding is that your working toward service through the Church. Is there a possibility that what you've gone through to this point and, what you'll do on the Camino IS your challenge of Faith. Not just the Faith in your Church, but Faith in the encouragement of the folks on this Forum, such as Sil and Johnnie Walker, but also Faith in yourself that you Will find the Way.

Buck up my friend!
and, Buen Camino,

Arn

Strikes home Huh!

You and I both have some soul searching to be done. I'd gladly walk every mile along side you if it would help us on Our Way.

A very sincere Buen Camino,
Arn

Hey Niel, I don't know if I've answered this before, but I did 2 portions of the camino in New Balance 976s. This style has been replaced by the 977s. They're a bit pricey, but I had no problems with them.

Sil, what is the search parameters for the Altus rain cape? I couldn't find it at the website you mentioned. :( I fear that my cheapie Totes rain poncho might not be up to the task this time.

Kelly

Hey Sil, never mind about the above. I found the Altus. :) And that shot of the boot shelves in Roncesvalles looks familiar. The only thing missing was all the newspaper everyone had to stuff in their boots to get them dry for the next day!!

As you can see, Niel, there are lots of boots/shoes out there. There is no right or wrong pair. I saw people walking in Crocs, & some have walked it barefoot, so the sky's the limit. Just pick the pair that are best for your feet & you'll do fine.

Kelly

Arn said:
Ist for Hilda...I will be on the Camino at SJPDP beginning on April 19th (one day either way).
Okay, you're about a week after me, so perhaps we'll meet somewhere.

sillydoll said:
Hi Hilda,
You might like to consider the ALTUS rain cape that is a raincoat and poncho in one. You can put it on with the backpack on as it has a 'hump' at the back to accommodate the pack Covers you and the backpack, opens down the front, sealed seams, vents on the chest. They had a special last week - 16.80 euro.
Available from www. barrabes.com

Sil, thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to think about it, as I'm really not that fond of ponchos. Still looking at various rain clothes, to see what'd suit me.

Buen camino,
Hilda

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
That's the beauty of the ALTUS - it is not a poncho (I don't like them either) it is a long raincoat with wider than normal sleeves and a wonderful 'hump at the back to cover the backpack. I always wore a rain suit - jacket and trousers - but this is much cooler and you don't need a pack cover.

Hilda wrote:
Okay, you're about a week after me, so perhaps we'll meet somewhere.

Now, depending on how fast you or I walk...that's a distinct possibility. I tend to move quickly between sites I really want to see and those less interesting. I enjoy older churches/cathedrals, cemeteries, and other historically connected locales.

See you along the Way!

Arn

Well for everyone interested it has arrived, I received my Pilgrim Credential from the Canadian Company of Pilgrims today which is a sure sign I am going. One clarification this credential I received is like a small passport type for some reason I expected a large document. So this is it nothing else needed.

Tomorrow when I go to University will seek out to get proper boots/shoes and then start with other equipment. Take care all, have a great day, nice day here for walking.

niel

Hi Niel,
If you fill up your Canadian credential with stamps, you can just get a Spanish one from most albergues, some churches and even a couple of Police stations. (I filled four credentials last year.)
As a University student, you could also apply for the AcreditaciĂłn Jacobea Universitaria - a University credential that you have stamped at all of the Universities along the way. It was an initiative started in 2002 by the Alumni Navarrenses (University of Navarra), together with Spanish universities located on the Camino Frances with the aim of spreading the Camino de Santiago between universities on an international level.
Read more here: http://www.campus-stellae.org/frances.htm (There is a link for all the routes)

The University Jacobean Credential comes with a few perks such as discounts at some stores, bookshops, restaurants, accommodation etc. You can apply for it online at:
https://www.unav.es/alumni/textos/formulario.html
Or, you can collect one at the University in Pamplona.

Hi all! I was visiting an old friend six months ago, and she had a magazine delivered with a feature story on the Camino. Turns out it's one of those things that has always fascinated both of us, so we decided to walk the Camino Portugues together when she recovers fully from illness - the plan is to get going in March 2009. When I told another friend about this, she also wanted to go, and we have booked our tickets to walk the Camino Ingles and then out to Finisterre this September. I have bought my backpack already, a Karrimor 40+5 litre, got my silk liner and first aid kit, and tomorrow I am going to start looking for light trainers/walking shoes for the treadmill in preparation. Other than that, I'm actually packed and ready to go ... And I have already started thinking about one of the French routes. Or maybe walking backwards from Porto to the Algarve - has anybody done this stretch? I am keeping an eye on this forum for info on all sorts of things, thank you all so much for your help and advice. Maybe we'll meet some of you along the way? Look for the Norwegian flag and Gary the snail patch (with walking boots on ....)

All the best,
LM

LM...welcome!

You sound well prepared and ready to go! As you mentioned, there are some really knowledgeable folks on the forum and all interested in seeing that everyone has the best Camino possible.

I did my exchange tour with the Norwegian Guard Company at Kirkeness many moons ago. I have the most respect for the capability of you folks.

Buen Camino,

Arn

Dale...can you feel the draw from the Camino just pulling you toward it!

I'm sure you and many others will agree that it's almost as exciting planning the Camino, getting the gear, the passport, the credential...all of it as the day you take the first real step on the Way!

Congrats...you're on Your WAY!

Buen Camino...

Arn

Hey everyone the Camino Frances for 2008 are in now I received mine from Confraternity of St. James in London. I can see why recommended very detail and informative. Only one draw back seems a bit heavier than I thought it would be.
n.

Hi Niel,
You can make your own photocopy of the guide, then chuck the pages as you go!

LM

I'm fascinated by the Camino Ingles and you can see an update I posted last year from Ferrol to Santiago in that section of this Forum. All being well I arrive in A Coruna on 28th March to walk down to Santiago and then out to Finisterre/Muxia - I'll let you know how it goes!

hey guys saw the raincoat poncho and did go on http://www.barrabes.com but found no such item. Also I believe that in the country of residence that they request I could not find Canada so that does help me. Any suggestions.

niel

Hi Niel,
If at the Barrabés site, you type in "rain poncho" into the search box, you will arrive at "atmospheric rain cape". It is under technical epuipment. Also, the "country" is for shipping prices. It is probably the same to ship to Canada as to the States.
Buen Camino,

nathanael said:
Hey everyone the Camino Frances for 2008 are in now I received mine from Confraternity of St. James in London. I can see why recommended very detail and informative. Only one draw back seems a bit heavier than I thought it would be.
n.
Yay! Now I can order mine! I hope he added my "find" in Logrono--the albergue at the church. He said he'd never heard of it before.

Niel, another thing you can do is make a photocopy of the guide & then use the backside of the paper for your journal. That's what I did in September & it worked out very well. :)

Kelly

€46,-
Hi, its encouraging to read the post from so many pilgrims starting out this spring/summer :D . I will arrive in St.J.P.D.P. 17th of april and looking so much forward to it. Im flying from Denmark to UK(London) and will have to spend the night ( 6 hours) in Stanstead airport on the 16th, but thats allright, I can practice some spanish verbs :shock: and maybe even get a little bit of sleep. Im flying to Pau airport and then take the train to Bayonne and then another train to St.J.P.D.P and then relax some 8) . I'll stay the first night here, hopefully get a nice meal and a good nights sleep and get myself into the right Camino-mode :) . Buen Camino!!! Molle

molle said:
I'll stay the first night here, hopefully get a nice meal and a good nights sleep

Look for the "Bar Restaurant PaxKal Cillarburu" next to the old city wall in St. Jean. They also had rooms for pilgrims, which I would've taken advantage of if I hadn't already booked a room at another St. Jean hotel. They have a nice atmosphere (both indoor and outdoor seating), and I had a great "last meal" before departing the next morning on the Camino... :arrow:

Time is racing by.... and this time in two months I will be in Paris! Today I went out for my first longish walk (4 1/2 hours) with a loaded pack on my back. I am tossing up between two packs.... one of 55l that has a harness I find really comfortable, and one of 45l but I am not sure about its harness comfort. For the time being I am loading up the 55l pack with all the stuff I think I want to take. I was pleased to find today that my harness really was very comfortable, but there is nothing quite like a decent walk to make you want to lighten your pack. Already I have five items marked to turf out before next time!
Greetings to everyone else who is preparing to leave soon!
Margaret

Rose Louise said:
Out of interest, how far would you have covered in that time and how much time would have been taken out for breaks?

Actually to be honest I am not certain how far I walked. I walked in-and-out on a route that I have done several times before as a circuit, and it takes me about five and a half hours to do about 22km on the circuit. I am not that fast a walker. Today I think I was probably slower than usual. I had only a few very short breaks to drink water and have a few snacks. If I was on the Camino, I imagine I would have liked to have sat by the stream near the end and had a proper half-hour break to have some lunch, take my shoes off and paddle in the cold water of the stream. But being in my home town, I preferred to finish and drive home for lunch!

Molle,

It appears we will have quite a group starting the Way in April and several on or about the 17th.

Gosh, the excitement is so tangible now!

What's interesting to do is go back to some initial "hello's" and follow the different planning and organizing entries and see what changes we've all made to our initial thoughts about what we'll take, how we'll keep the bugs at bay and the "special" places and people we want to go to and meet.

The Camino is truly the Way of the World, where we all come together as one; each with their own purpose, hopes and dreams.

I so look forward to meeting up with my fellow pilgrims.

Buen Camino,

Arn

KiwiNomad06 said:
one of 55l that has a harness I find really comfortable

If it's comfortable, than you can always fill it with less. But the other one will most likely be a pain no matter how much or how less you put into it. My pack was too heavy, but it was comfortable, and that was a godsend... :arrow:

Hi there to everyone I trust all are ready and excited. Well I finally found a pair of boots that are comfortable. I went to a place in Toronto called Euro-bound and I was amazed at the different variety of boots they have, a lot more variety than MEC I have to say. The boots are called Keen, I just felt they were made for my feet. The staff at this place are fabulous and very knowledgeable. Although their shoes/boots are bettered priced, their other products such as clothes are very expensive, MEC is more reasonable for clothing and the two stores are right across each other. Was able to purchase some clothing and a towel, all quick drying.
Now a question to Margaret, about the pack you said the 55 with harness was very comfortable. Could you please give me more details such as name brand.
Take care .
niel

nathanael said:
Now a question to Margaret, about the pack you said the 55 with harness was very comfortable. Could you please give me more details such as name brand.
Take care .
niel

It happens to be a Deuter Aircontact pack nathanael... but I think what suits one person is not necessarily ideal for someone else. I have quite a sway back. It just felt very comfortable for me: after I had got over the first 20 minutes, it felt very stable, and 'part of me' if that makes sense. Also, it has a backing designed to help your back feel cooler... and this seemed to work very well on quite a warm day. However, after 4 and a half hours, my shoulders had started getting a bit sore... and I have already ditched a kg worth of what had been 'essentials'! I am already thinking about what else I don't really need... though I know I could still encounter some cold and probably quite wet weather in April- early May.
Glad you found footwear to suit. All the best with your preparations.
Margaret

How about just drawing a smiley face 8) behind your name?
The registers are often just a large exercise book and there isn't much space to stick anything after your name.
If you have one of the Cafe-Press buttons on the back of your pack, you will recognize that as being a Santiago-Today Forum member.

Hi...fellow class mates!

As I mentioned earlier...I have ordered 10 S-T buttons that I will give to fellow forum members as I meet you along the Camino. That's one way of identifying who we are.

As to a register mark. happy faces are used for plenty of things already. many folks just draw one because they can't do otherwise. has nothing to do with being a forum member...it's like saying hello...or whatever!

This thread was specifically started to connect with fellow pilgrims that will be on the Camino this year. I'd hope that the same is begun in 2009. That said, if you're a Fourm member and have been following this thread...and/or have entered your departure date in "The Camino Calendar"...you know at least the names of those on the Way with you. Keep those names in mind and when you see one...look for that person.

On the Appalachian Train, we have registers and also...trail names...mine was Arn with a straight bar down from the cross piece to form the AT.

As I said, we know our Forum names...look for them.

Buen Camino

Arn

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I was in an albergue in Lorca when a fellow forum member asked, "Are you MermaidLilli?" I was astounded that first, someone from this forum was there with me and that second, he knew me by name. Made that one of my Camino Magic moments.
Magically,
Lillian

Hey there guys I was hoping for some suggestions for a number of pack-sacks since as yet I have not purchased one. Will be going to the MEC tomorrow so would be great to try and few and see what gives the most comfort.

Thanks,
niel

Hi,
I'm starting out from Roncesvalles the first week of March. I know it is pretty early and might well be quite cold but nevertheless I am excited and counting the days. I've enjoyed reading everyone's posts and have received a lot of good advice.

Hi Viajero...and welcome to the Class of 2008,

March is a great time of year...not because it's warm and dry, but because you're ON THE CAMINO!

How great is that!

Take a look at some of the posts..especially those that speak to cold weather hiking. Johnnie Walker is by far the man when it comes to the Camino in Winter.

Again, welcome!
Buen Camino
Arn

Thanks for the welcome Arn. I am really looking forward to my Camino. I see that you are in Virginia. Me too! I've been walking pretty consistently over the last few months to try and prepare. I think I'm about set with packing too. Now I just can't wait to go.

Viajero,

Va is a big commonwealth..I'm just NE of Richmond, but travel the entire area...especially during the college soccer season.

As I said, I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Buen Camino,

Arn

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just thought I would jot down a note for the class of 2008 since it is at the bottom of the list practically. Well I am on reading week for university of Toronto a time well deserved. Getting my stuff little by little still need to shop for a sleeping bag, any suggestions. Also Arn you are staying at one of the Hostels for a few days what are the chances of a rest there for my self?
niel

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.