• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Daily Mass on the Camino

Time of past OR future Camino
First Camino from St. Jean de Pierre de Port to Finisterre June 2017- July 2017
Hi all!

I don't know if this has already been asked but I couldn't find it. I am going to be walking the Camino this June and I would really like to be able to go to a catholic mass as often as I can. I was wondering if there was anyone that had been on the Camino that would be able to give me more information on how easy it was to make it to mass on the Camino.

Thank you!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Welcome to the forum, LauraJean! My experience from SJPP to Burgos was that at the "main" pilgrim stages I got to mass daily. The 2 times we were between "stages," no. But that was in October. There may be more during the more heavily travelled months.

Masses are usually in the evening, 7-7:30 pm range, and we found times posted on the doors. You can also ask at your albergue or hostel. Pilgrims were in the prayers of the congregation and, without exception, there was a pilgrim blessing at the end, each unique and very special. I found it quite moving that night after night the people of the communities were praying for the safety and well-being of all of us on the journey.

There have been a number of threads on finding mass and a search should bring up even more information for you. Buen Camino!

Welcome to the forum, LauraJean! My experience from SJPP to Burgos was that at the "main" pilgrim stages I got to mass daily. The 2 times we were between "stages," no. But that was in October. There may be more during the more heavily travelled months.

Masses are usually in the evening, 7-7:30 pm range, and we found times posted on the doors. You can also ask at your albergue or hostel. Pilgrims were in the prayers of the congregation and, without exception, there was a pilgrim blessing at the end, each unique and very special. I found it quite moving that night after night the people of the communities were praying for the safety and well-being of all of us on the journey.

There have been a number of threads on finding mass and a search should bring up even more information for you. Buen Camino!

Wow thank you so much! That is so encouraging to hear and as I have looked more I did find a couple of the threads that talked about it more!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hello @LauraJeanneJellyBean and welcome to the forum.
I am a priest, and usually(!;)) look for Mass when I am walking. I would say I am generally surprised at how often it can be found along the Frances. It clearly depends on the size of the place you stay, but up to perhaps 3 days out of 4. I am not a great "plan ahead-er" and usually end up where I end up. Always worth asking the hospitalero. There is more often than not a sign on the noticeboard in albergue, (it may be under others.) I guess hotels have information, but I don't know too much about hotels. If there is an evening Mass, it is as @Bala says above usually 7 or 7:30 or 8. Without exception I would say the priest has been welcoming to visitors. Many times a touching effort is made to welcome pilgrims, usually with a blessing at the end. Some places will get someone to do the first reading in English or Italian or French. It obviously depends on the priest.
In places where Mass is in the morning - thinking particularly of Sahagun and Leon Benedictine sisters and Rabanal Benedictine priests there is generally evening prayer of some type. Leon, Sahagun and Rabanal very special in this regard and you can go if you are not staying in the monastery. Always worth looking into any parochial albergue even if not staying at it. They will likely have a blessing or evening prayer. Places like Carillon do los Condes have a pilgrim blessing and mass in the evening not to be missed.
On Norte, and Portugues I found much less availability outside of cities. Likewise Primitivo and Baztan.
Also on Sunday mornings listen out for bells - you may well pass through some tiny place having Mass at 8 or 9 or 10 or 11.
Buen Camino!

Like timr, I found it trickier to find masses along the Primitivo and also the del Norte outside towns, let alone on really really obscure Caminos such as the Vadiniense and Catalan, but they are there and often when one would like them to be. While I have run into perhaps two clergy along the Camino who were not welcoming, overall the Camino seems to be populated by thoughtful and receptive priests. Generally hospitaleros or barmen or little old ladies will know when masses are happening or will be able to find out for you-- the novel notion of posting times seems only to operate in Galicia. You may find that some villagers will not know when services are, for Spain features both believers and non-believers, and there are still sensitivities related to the Civil War, but if they don't know, they will find out for you.

I found that astonishingly many pilgrim mass-goers were not RC, but were grateful for the pause in the day, and the welcome of local people, while their approaches to the religious aspect was all over the map. One is able to enter into the life of a community in a vertical manner, and I have encountered many cheering words and gestures from them.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am Episcopalian and found RC mass on C.F. quite nice. On Camino number two, I attended nearly everyday. If you go to Samos, after evening service ask the priest if you can attend their private service. It is quietly spectacular, the monks chant, nice. A priest in Granon, gave me a printout of service with Spanish on one side English on other so I could follow along. The more you attend, the more surprises you'll find within parish walls: a tour, pilgrim's mass, beautiful architecture, many spiritual gifts.
Buen camino

You might need to do some organising of your Camino around the Mass and even then there will be some days when no Mass is available, but with a little effort and some sacrifice of the "optimal" walking hours, the intention at least can be aimed for. :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I found that astonishingly many pilgrim mass-goers were not RC, but were grateful for the pause in the day, and the welcome of local people, while their approaches to the religious aspect was all over the map. One is able to enter into the life of a community in a vertical manner, and I have encountered many cheering words and gestures from them.
Absolutely my experience too and one of the special gifts and opportunities of the camino.
The more you attend, the more surprises you'll find within parish walls: a tour, pilgrim's mass, beautiful architecture, many spiritual gifts.
Buen camino
And yes another comment I agree with 100%

Hello all,
I am planning to walk over Easter 2017, I leave next week! Do you think there would be an evening Mass on Easter Sunday, or would they do a vigil Mass Saturday evening? I'm very excited! Thank you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In places where Mass is in the morning - thinking particularly of Sahagun and Leon Benedictine sisters and Rabanal...
One plus regarding the morning Mass at Rabanal is that after the Mass you can take a leisurely stroll up to Foncebadón--only a couple of hours--then get up early the next morning and be at the Cruz de Ferro at sunrise, beating the crowds later in the morning. Seeing the sun first light the cross, then work its way down the pole is an inspirational sight in itself. Then, depending on your pace, you could finish the day in Molinaseca.

Cruz de Ferro_250mm.jpg

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back