• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Day 1 for the new Pilgrims Office!

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Dear all,

The new pilgrims office that has been so much talked about is now open. Today was their first day.

Since it is still "winter season" they have opened a smaller office in the lower part of the complex. The larger office (with 13-14 staff writing compostelas at once) will open later, most likely around Easter.

The entrance to this "winter office" is around the corner and in the car entrance that goes right into the garden.
new-pilrims-office-winter-location.png

This is inside the new smaller "winter office":
full

This is the garden:
full

(Yes, those are grape wines)

The steps up to the main building (and the summer pilgrims office):
full

I was given a tour of the whole installation, but was asked not to publish photos until they had it all ready. It was spectacular.

Buen Camino!
Ivar

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Dear all,

The new pilgrims office that has been so much talked about is now open. Today was their first day.

Since it is still "winter season" they have opened a smaller office in the lower part of the complex. The larger office (with 13-14 staff writing compostelas at once) will open later, most likely around Easter.

The entrance to this "winter office" is around the corner and in the car entrance that goes right into the garden.
View attachment 22846

full

This is the garden:
full

full

I was given a tour of the whole installation, but was asked not to publish photos until they had it all ready. It was spectacular.

Buen Camino!
Ivar
Thanks for the post Ivar - hopefully we will see it in fall of 2016. Merry Christmas to you and your crew

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Dear all,

View attachment 22846

full

This is the garden:
full

full

Buen Camino!
Ivar
Ivar , thank you for sharing these pictures. It looks great.
Wish you well and happy Christmas, Peter.

Does this mean shorter lines for the compostelas? That would be great.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Dear all,

Ivar

Hey Ivar, will you put up a map to the regular pilgrim office that will be open in May?

Congratulations to the Pilgrims Office on this wonderful development thanks to a grant to the Cathedral of 1.5 million euros from the regional government. The facilities are excellent for pilgrims, staff and volunteers alike. Millions of pilgrims will benefit in the future. Enhorabuena!
They (those pilgrims) will just have practice their navigation skills and walk a further 1km to the new office. But I agree with comments above the new office really does impress. Not really sure about the shorter cues though!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Never mind shorter lines. Just give us tickets in order of arrival and let us sit and not queue standing up on legs that are about to collapse under us. Never understood why crossing the border was the same nonsense, but worse as we all burn gas waiting in queues for no reason.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
They (those pilgrims) will just have practice their navigation skills and walk a further 1km to the new office. But I agree with comments above the new office really does impress. Not really sure about the shorter cues though!!

I think the new office is no more than 400 m from the old office, and even less than that from the Praza Obradoiro in front of the cathedral, which is where you arrive when walking. It's just in a different direction, a few steps down from the parador, turn right, and there you are. This new location will open up a new section of Old Santiago to the pilgrim traffic, and I'll bet there are a lot of winners and losers in the fallout.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Thank you, Ivar. I was told the new office will also have a chapel where one can pray (or get married if you want to !!!!). I thought its a good idea. Can't wait to see it in 2 days time. Buen Camino :) and Merry Christmas. May the Prince of Peace live in your homes and your hearts

Hey Ivar, will you put up a map to the regular pilgrim office that will be open in May?
They way you enter the "summer" pilgrims office is the same as indicated on the map above... you just need to go up the stairs (see picture) to get to the larger office. The exit is the door that leads out to the street above.

Hello Ivar
Thank you for this update. I am the Webmaster for the Confraternity of St James South Africa, and we'd like to add the new address of the Pilgrim's office to our website. Do you have the full physical address details. I would be most grateful.
Kind Regards

Zelda Wilson

Hello Ivar
Thank you for this update. I am the Webmaster for the Confraternity of St James South Africa, and we'd like to add the new address of the Pilgrim's office to our website. Do you have the full physical address details. I would be most grateful.
Kind Regards

Zelda Wilson
It is in "Rúa das Carretas", I think it is number 33 (but I am not 100% sure). The street is about 200 meters long, so with the street name you will find it.

Does this mean shorter lines for the compostelas? That would be great.

The waiting time for a Compostela or other item offered at the Pilgrim's Office is directly related to the number of folks waiting and the number of staff (including volunteers) available to process the requests. It is a simple, linear relationship. The presence of lines or the physical plant only indirectly affects this relationship. That said, the appearance of people picnicking, or lounging about casually as if in at a park is vastly better than standing in queues for upwards of an hour on a narrow street.

However, the space available DOES make a difference, at least perceptually. I assess that the lines will be a thing of the past, depending on the new procedures, as hundreds of waiting pilgrims can be accommodated on the enclosed grounds. I recall from last summer that there is one car-sized gate in and one car-sized gate out. I hope they use these gates to good effect and only allow pilgrims with credentials onto the grounds. This will vastly improve security. Hopefully, they can stop all the non-pilgrims from casually walking through the property.

I look forward to my next volunteer stint there in 2016. While the date(s) are to be determined, my heart is there. I would also like to be part of determining the new procedures they will use.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ivar, thank you for sharing these photos.

And thanks to those involved.

I've just done a Google street view. The images are dated 2009, so a lot may have changed at street level.

I note from your posts the entrance to both Winter and Summer rooms is the same, that is around the corner in Rua de Domingo Garcia-Sabell and the exit is onto Rua des Carretas.

If that is so would it cause less confusion if the address of the entrance is published, rather than the exit. Alternatively "on the corner of ... and ..."

And if the garden can be part of the waiting process, what could be better.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
When I was in Santiago in July, Rua das Carretas was a construction zone! I guess they were preparing the footpaths for the many pilgrims who will walk that way.
I look forward to visiting the office in October - and Cafe Tertulia again!

buen camino

I think the new office is no more than 400 m from the old office, and even less than that from the Praza Obradoiro in front of the cathedral, which is where you arrive when walking. It's just in a different direction, a few steps down from the parador, turn right, and there you are. This new location will open up a new section of Old Santiago to the pilgrim traffic, and I'll bet there are a lot of winners and losers in the fallout.
Laurie - yes I know where the new office is, in fact I actually went exploring in that region of the city thinking that the office had actually moved. I based my estimate of a kilometre on the time it took me to walk there (from the cathedral). I was there in late September and there was a lot of road works and street repairs being undertaken. With the roads repaid it will be an easy walk from the cathedral and I agree will open up that part of the city to pilgrim exploration.

And it is slightly closer to the forum meeting point cafe, Tertulia.
And just round the corner from our favorite snall hotel(pension) Das Hortas, shown on Ivar's map as a restaurant, but in fact it's a small hotel.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I will miss the view, at Hotel Rua Villar, of the pilgrims lining up, after I have already exercised the queue. But then again, I'm not staying there next year anyways (though highly recommended.)

Its tough when viewing the map at such a zoomed in scale, would it be fair to say to proceed as if you were heading to Finnesterre and it will be on your left?

Damien

I will miss the view, at Hotel Rua Villar, of the pilgrims lining up, after I have already exercised the queue. But then again, I'm not staying there next year anyways (though highly recommended.)

Its tough when viewing the map at such a zoomed in scale, would it be fair to say to proceed as if you were heading to Finnesterre and it will be on your left?

Damien
On your right Damo.

Alan

Be brave. life is joyous.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Dear all,

View attachment 22846

full

This is the garden:
full

full

Buen Camino!
Ivar
Congratulations Ivar! I am sure the new office spaces will care for the Pilgrim Caretakers well! Feliz Navidad!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Dear all,

View attachment 22846

full

This is the garden:
full

full

Buen Camino!
Ivar
Thank you Ivar, hopefully I will arrive there on 6th of July 2016 from SJPdP.

Oh no, it's such a far way to walk.

Just a joke, folks. HAHA

The new offices look beautiful. But I do have to agree with Damien, I'll miss seeing the pilgrims lined up on Rue Villar.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Are those confy green armchairs for pilgrims to use while thie number is called to receive their compostela instead of having to stand for over an hour on come cobble stone? :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ivar, didnt you (or was is someone else...) that said they might have a cafe in the new pilgrim office? Very curious, do they? That would be a great meeting point :)

Most read last week in this forum

https://inews.co.uk/news/world/tourists-spanish-city-face-backlash-2952834?ito=copy-link_share_article-top the last few seasons I've been walking the VdlP and if this report is only half true...
Hello, I walked the Camino Frances in September/October 2023 and have an opportunity (i.e. time) to do another one this May/June - although I only have ~4 weeks available. I'm thinking Norte...
Hi everyone, Pilgrim House Welcome Center opened on March 4 for the 2024 season. As always, the team would love to meet you (or see you again!) after your Camino. The Camino can be an emotional...
Hi, I am planning to finish my Camino July 20, but I was wondering if it is worth it to instead try to finish to see the holy day on July 25. Is it going to be super crowded on the 25th? I do...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back