• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Dealing with Vertigo: Seeking Solutions for Balance Issues

Paladina

old woman of the roads
Time of past OR future Camino
CF, primitivo & del norte (2017); VdlP/Sanabres, ingles etc (2018), Mozarabe etc (2019), tbc (2020)
I am currently learning by trial, more often error, how to cope with vertigo (n.b. not acrophobia). Although the spinning sensation has abated, I'm still having problems with balance. In need of physical support, I've retrieved the single walking pole previously used only when climbing and especially descending Croagh Patrick. Unfortunately, the locking device on this telescopic pole has a tendency to collapse beneath me whenever I lurch sideways. I managed to walk 16km yesterday, but the last stretch on the margin of a fairly busy rural road was scary. I'd welcome suggestions for managing the condition.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There are a couple of us on here with this problem. @malingerer I understand has posted a similar question.

Assume you are already getting medical input on managing the condition so presume you are wanting to discuss aids such as poles?

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have a diagnosis but not a prognosis, and am on
medication for the condition. (The GP even arranged for his partner to drive me home from the surgery!) I’ve consulted relevant threads on this forum, from collapsing poles to vertiginous episodes, but most of the latter appear to refer to acrophobia not vertigo. This is all new terrain for me, so I’d welcome practical and moral support from fellow sufferers.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You have my sincere sympathy and I wish you well. I have a severe balance problem left hand side and been told it is incurable. I fall. Been in hospital 3 times this year. I haven't broken anything yet but gone are my long distances on my own. Now its my love dove as support plus pacer poles and bus , train, taxi, whatever it takes. Sometimes the cure is simply acceptance of the problem and then a fiendish way round it! Keep on truckin !

Walk as soft as you can

and Vaya con dios.

Samarkand.

I've retrieved the single walking pole previously used only when climbing and especially descending Croagh Patrick. Unfortunately, the locking device on this telescopic pole has a tendency to collapse beneath me whenever I lurch sideways.
The question that immediately comes to my mind is why don't you use two poles that are in good condition, rather than one collapsing one? (However, I do realize that you were probably just taking whatever aids were on hand, at the time.) I don't exactly suffer vertigo, but my balance is not what it used to be, particularly when I am tired and am top heavy with a backpack. At those times, 2 walking poles are very important to me. I use folding ones so they can easily be stowed away when not wanted/needed.

Two poles would be my recommendation too though you might have to go through a few to find ones that suit you.

When you are on your next Camino, check at the albergues to see if anyone has left some as donations. Then try them out. Or pick up a second donated one. If it's not up to the mark, then re-donate at the next albergue then rinse/repeat until you're happy with the set.

Yes it can be scary but you adjust. It's surprising how resilient we can be in overcoming life's challenges.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Two poles would be my recommendation too though you might have to go through a few to find ones that suit you.
Hi Paladina!
I second Corned Beef's opinion.
I began having problems with balance as far back as the mid 1980's after having three consecutive concussions in the space of six months ; due to motorcycle crashes.

After each the effect on my balance became more frequent and prolonged in duration.

I have had this intermittent form of vertigo for the last 45 years now.
Believe it or not it took until 2018 to get someone to listen as all my GP's in various surgeries dismissed it as a problem related to my lack of vision (visual field loss).

Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) it is very common and episodes are "supposed" to be short lived from only a few seconds to a few minutes and it hits you instantly;my worst ever spell lasted 6 weeks.
(bit weird but i know from the time i wake up it's going to be one of those days)

Two poles are a life saver as you have support on both sides to stabilise you as you try to recover.

The question that immediately comes to my mind is why don't you use two poles
Because I'm unable to cycle at the moment and, in the absence of a beast of burden, my carrying capacity reduces to a pack on my back and various items in my free hand. Had I a traditional ash plant to hand I would gladly have used it! I take your point, however, about the desirability of a pair of poles.

Oh dear, that sounds like a life-sentence, for which you have my deepest sympathy! At my time of life I should perhaps be grateful for not having another 45 years to go. So far, I know only what didn't cause the problem (no head injury; no ear infection etc.); I still have no idea what did.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You have my sincere sympathy and I wish you well. I have a severe balance problem left hand side and been told it is incurable. I fall. Been in hospital 3 times this year. I haven't broken anything yet but gone are my long distances on my own. Now its my love dove as support plus pacer poles and bus , train, taxi, whatever it takes. Sometimes the cure is simply acceptance of the problem and then a fiendish way round it! Keep on truckin !

Walk as soft as you can

and Vaya con dios.

Samarkand.
I'm full of admiration for your dedication and determination: you're definitely no malingerer!

I am currently learning by trial, more often error, how to cope with vertigo (n.b. not acrophobia). Although the spinning sensation has abated, I'm still having problems with balance. In need of physical support, I've retrieved the single walking pole previously used only when climbing and especially descending Croagh Patrick. Unfortunately, the locking device on this telescopic pole has a tendency to collapse beneath me whenever I lurch sideways. I managed to walk 16km yesterday, but the last stretch on the margin of a fairly busy rural road was scary. I'd welcome suggestions for managing the condition.
although my symptoms of vertigo (viral cause) are a lot less than several years back, it can be a challenge.
I have walked many Caminos and the symptoms occasionally get worse But I’ve become familiar with what works for me.
if you haven’t consulted with a balance physio therapist, that person could help you to understand your situation better and possibly provide some additional insight.
I use 2 trekking poles ( black diamond brand) that fold up in a Z.. no problems with collapsing and when I occasional move my head too quickly. I won’t lose my balance.
re symptom management for me …my symptoms tend to return when I have a cold/sinus pressure( or plane flight), dehydrated ( from too much salt, any alcohol, too much caffeine, lack electrolytes), develop a UTI (strange but true), rapid head movement and fatigued.
I discovered these personal observations over many years. I suggest trying to find out what affects you and develop a prevention strategy as well as a ‘bag of tricks’ to lessen the symptoms if things get worse.

Buen Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I also get vertigo and the things that help me are: taking an antihistamine IMMEDIATELY. Some people take Benadryl but that makes me too sleepy, so I take Zyrtec, Allegra or Claritin. I use two poles because I never know which way will be problematic on any given day. My issues are worse with storms and if my ears/sinuses are plugged. The last thing I've found to be useful is Sea Bands (also called Materna Bands). These look like elastic wristbands with a hard plastic "bead" in one area that is to rest in the hollow of your wrist just below the palm, where the Nausea/dizzy acupressure point is. They are marketed for motion sickness and morning sickness and I was able to buy at a pharmacy in Spain. In the US, I find them at Rite Aid, Walgreens, Target and City Market. I also really watch anything that swings - swingsets, porch swings and rocking chairs because they set me off. Tossing or turning your head quickly can also do it. But - since you have a diagnosis, you probably already know those things. Best of luck...the hardest thing is the unpredictability of the occurrences!

Many thanks @KimR and @JRO for the helpful advice and suggestions, which I'll pursue. The medication seems to be providing some stability, but I've yet to discover whether the problem will recur.

Somehow my brain has adapted to rely on my sight to orient me - so I'm normally OK during the day. But this means that I have issues in the dark. I need to walk with a strong headlamp with a wide beam.
I have found that salt, caffeine, tiredness make it worse as well as head movement and sinus/blocked ear issues. In fact any other illness makes me more susceptible. I take Zyrtec daily (which also helped with bedbug bites).
If I have a bout of vertigo I rely on two poles. I've found that walking really fast keeps me upright better than standing still or walking slowly.
Other people I know who suffer from vertigo all say the same thing, head movement is an issue.
I always try not to need the toilet in the night in albergues, be asleep before lights out, I never nap in the afternoon to make sure I'm going to sleep well. I never take a top bunk unless I'm with people I know.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Swap poles. If you tend to fall to one side imparticular. You would want the strongest one where you need it most. Then most definitely replace it as soon as you can. I work with many orthopedic patients who hike and have had them deal with faulty equipment. Just a suggestion of course. Above all be safe. Buen camino

Swap poles. If you tend to fall to one side imparticular. You would want the strongest one where you need it most. Then most definitely replace it as soon as you can. I work with many orthopedic patients who hike and have had them deal with faulty equipment. Just a suggestion of course. Above all be safe. Buen camino
I had the same problem many years ago. For me a large dose of ginger would stop the spinning. any form would work, but the crystallize ginger was the most pleasant to eat. I think it’s worth a try. Good luck.
Gary

Hi Paladina—my balance isn’t what it used to be, but I was able to successfully walk the Frances a month ago and found a few things helpful:
About 4 months before I left, I enrolled in Classical Pilates 2X/week, with an emphasis on building core strength and increasing balance. My instructor gave me several simple exercises to practice on my own, such as putting my legs and feet together, arms/hands circled in front as if hugging a tree, and slightly leaning forward, rise onto my tiptoes for several reps/several times/day. Another suggested simple exercise is to stand on just one foot (without other support) for as long as you can, then switch to other foot; also getting dressed, especially underwear and pants, without using support, but being close to a bed, in the case of loss of balance.

In addition to Pilates, I also walked on a treadmill, especially practicing walking without holding onto the rails (this was in addition to, rather than replacing, actual hikes outside). The key thing is safety, so don’t do any of these exercises if they put you at risk of falling, or be sure you’re in a position to catch yourself easily if you start to lose your balance.

On the actual Camino, I found walking with two good poles helped a great deal, mentally, as well as physically. Walking in the dark was challenging, but necessary to avoid the heat, so I found walking with a good headlamp, going slowly and taking extra care (even stopping completely for a few moments, if needed to regain my orientation) was necessary, and I actually grew to love walking in the very early morning hours. I also found that I was able to walk with more at ease if I wasn’t inadvertently part of a group or feeling like I was holding someone up, so I grew accustomed to simply standing to one side and letting others walk by, then continuing at my own pace. Also, if there were sections of the trail that I knew were challenging, and which would put me at risk for serious injury (primarily very steep downhill sections, such as the descent into Zubiri), I would find an alternative route or even take a taxi or bus around it…I figured I was on the walk for the long haul and couldn’t afford to risk a serious injury if there was a viable alternative.

Also, my advice to you is to stay hydrated, avoid extreme heat, and listen to your body. As I was told numerous times,”Tranquila, Peregrina, tranquila!,” which in my case, often meant not letting my pride overrule my good sense, and to slow down!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Paladina!
I second Corned Beef's opinion.
I began having problems with balance as far back as the mid 1980's after having three consecutive concussions in the space of six months ; due to motorcycle crashes.

After each the effect on my balance became more frequent and prolonged in duration.

Believe it or not it took until 2018 to get someone to listen as all my GP's in various surgeries dismissed it as a problem related to my lack of vision (visual field loss).

Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) it is very common and episodes are "supposed" to be short lived from only a few seconds to a few minutes and it hits you instantly;my worst ever spell lasted 6 weeks.
(bit weird but i know from the time i wake up it's going to be one of those days)

Two poles are a life saver as you have support on both sides to stabilise you as you try to recover.
I've had numerous BPPV episodes and Foster's half somersault maneuver works beautifully.

If it is BPPV avoid looking up or tilting your head back for any length of time, at least for me, that causes the crystals to move into the wrong part of the inner ear - hence vertigo.

I get a little vertigo when on a narrow ledge or trail and find that closing one eye sure
helps me . If in the position of one eye focusing near and the other trying to focus far , my brain doesn’t do well and I feel a little dizzy sometimes .worth a try

Because I'm unable to cycle at the moment and, in the absence of a beast of burden, my carrying capacity reduces to a pack on my back and various items in my free hand. Had I a traditional ash plant to hand I would gladly have used it! I take your point, however, about the desirability of a pair of poles.
Some pilgrims use a pair of wooden sticks, which might be preferable in your situation, I'd say ones with a leather hoop. Walking poles are not really intended to provide the degree of support that a good wooden stick can, and they may be less reliable in emergency cases where you need to suddenly put a lot of weight onto one of them. Collapsible ones sound like a real no-no !!

I tend to trip and fall myself, from malformation of the ankles and arthritic damage to them and the knees ; a single ash staff is good for me and prevents most falls, but then I do not suffer from vertigo, and my acrophobia is pretty mild.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A lot of useful suggestions here. Thanks to all of you for giving me the benefit of your experience. I’m doing well indoors, but getting from my house to the road continues to test my balance.2830CE9F-E740-4F5B-BACD-B7B5B6E30BB1.jpeg

I never mastered the art of stilt walking, so it’s wellies for now and waders when the flood is worse.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Somehow my brain has adapted to rely on my sight to orient me - so I'm normally OK during the day. But this means that I have issues in the dark. I need to walk with a strong headlamp with a wide beam.
I have found that salt, caffeine, tiredness make it worse as well as head movement and sinus/blocked ear issues. In fact any other illness makes me more susceptible. I take Zyrtec daily (which also helped with bedbug bites).
If I have a bout of vertigo I rely on two poles. I've found that walking really fast keeps me upright better than standing still or walking slowly.
Other people I know who suffer from vertigo all say the same thing, head movement is an issue.
I always try not to need the toilet in the night in albergues, be asleep before lights out, I never nap in the afternoon to make sure I'm going to sleep well. I never take a top bunk unless I'm with people I know.

I‘ve also found sight has substituted for my ears re natural balance, since my bout of labyrinthitis.
On the advice of a health professional I didn‘t take any meds, because they tend to delay recovery. Instead, I slowly re-learnt how to move my head - very slowly at first and I didn’t tackle leaning back for a couple of months. It was a week before I could walk to the kitchen, with the aid of my poles.

I’d woken up one morning and had been unable to move my head. If I moved it at all I felt dizzy and I couldn’t lift it off the bed. The rest of my body worked fine. It’s a strange sensation thrashing around in a horizontal position but unable to lift one’s head.
Initially I thought something was wrong with my neck muscles.
It was days before I could stand up, which I did with the aid of my walking poles (and my beloved 😉).

Apparently, if a viral infection is the cause, the little ‘hairs’ which are suspended in fluid within the ear never repair themselves, are never replaced.

Which is why sight is so important.
As are conscious efforts to slowly practice moving one’s head in just a single plane at the start.
I don’t experience any of the dizziness now but sometimes, when I close my eyes, I’m aware I could potentially lose my balance .. I don’t need to feel dizzy to know that.

I do hope you manage to regain your balance @Paladina 🙏🏻
go well .. remember to stay hydrated!

Oh dear, that sounds like a life-sentence, for which you have my deepest sympathy! At my time of life I should perhaps be grateful for not having another 45 years to go. So far, I know only what didn't cause the problem (no head injury; no ear infection etc.); I still have no idea what did.

I didn’t have an ear infection as such … the idea of a viral infection (without any other symptoms) was my GP’s … in the absence of any other obvious cause.

A single walking pole is not advised because it leads to a bad posture of the body. Try walking with a pair of poles.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
A single walking pole is not advised because it leads to a bad posture of the body. Try walking with a pair of poles.
On the Camino, yes, but on my way to and from work while carrying bags of books — and to quote another thread, ‘books are heavy’ — I’d need a third hand for a second stick.

If it is BPPV avoid looking up or tilting your head back for any length of time, at least for me, that causes the crystals to move into the wrong part of the inner ear - hence vertigo.
I've had short episodes of BPPV on and off for about ten years. It is most noticable when laying down on my back without supporting my head, turning my head side to side in bed, or tilting my head back to look up. Thankfully it only lasts for several seconds, then the crystals adjust and the dizzy sensation goes away. I have a prescription, but have thankfully never felt the need to actually use it.

Sorry to read of your health situation. I am going to suggest that you look up Exwell. I go to classes twice a week, and balance exercises feature. It is useful for people who cannot easily access a real time class. They also have online class options, and some are free. Wishing you well, and hope the situation improves.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
For anyone with Benign Positional Vertigo - please try The Epley Manoeuvre!
I have had this distressing condition twice in my life and each time this cured it.
It is a series of movements that somehow realign whatever is causing the problem. If you google (other search engines are available - Ecosia??!) it - there are videos showing you in detail. I had to do the movements twice each time - then sleep propped up on pillows for one night - then i was cured and able to drive/walk etc again. Its worth a try folks!!

I am currently learning by trial, more often error, how to cope with vertigo

@paladrina, I know the feeling

What I have learnt, both 20 years ago when diagnosed with acute benign postural/positional vertigo and from the discussion you have started, is that, like the common cold, there are many forms of vertigo.

Looking back at how my one and only notable episode started, I noted tiredness and anxiety were the key drivers. With overtones of maintaining balance thrown in.

For me, if I now begin to note tiredness and anxiety, possibly coupled with light-headedness, I divert to something else. This may be a "cup of tea and a sit-down", for example.

As @Shells says above, ”Tranquila, Peregrina, tranquila!,” (quiet, peaceful)

A tool I have found extremely helpful (and mentioned above) is a satisfactory pair of walking polls.

First, the locking mechanism must work.
From my experience, the most unsatisfactory is where the pole sections are rotated one way to lock and the other way to unlock.
In my experience an external lever, regulated in tightness by a thumb and finger sized knob, works best.

For air travel, I have a pack liner that doubles as a carry bag with handle. The empty pack goes into the now carry bag, then the poles (demounted as suits) followed by soft items between carry bag and pack, with larger items inside the pack - or however it works for you. The entire package is checked in (not including expensive, low-price airlines).

So I wish you kia kaha, kia māia, kia mana'wa'nui (take care, be strong patient and confident).

Hi Paladina, the reasons for vertigo are many from minor to not minor. One common contributor is dehydration. This is a very real danger on the Camino. Rather than relying on the experience of forum members, however well meaning and widespread, you should discuss it with your regular GP and then make your own informed decision. You really need to know the reason for the condition before you can manage it.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.