• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Disappearing members

Caminando

Veteran Member
A number of (usually) new members here ask a question, get the normal generous help and advice, and then they disappear, sometimes without any further input.

Does this affect how you answer other future posts?
Does it matter to you or are you relaxed about it?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Caminando said:
A number of (usually) new members here ask a question, get the normal generous help and advice, and then they disappear, sometimes without any further input.

Hi Caminando,
It's funny as I had just scanned (and now it seems filtered) 'New Posts' before reading your question. It got me thinking at first I thought it didn't matter to me..... but then had to admit that in the last 4-5 months if I see a subject that has been already/often discussed (even if that discussion was was way back) I've had a tendency to skip responding and even worse think...."oh one of the other guys will post a more informed/current reply"! In my case I think this is more about laziness than my being annoyed at the posters future level of contribution. But of course any subject that I'm engaged by gets my immediate attention and focus :oops: So it seems I'm lazy....but not judgmental!
Thanks for bringing it up and I'll redress that trend.
Nell

You can see a member's last visit date and time on the membership roster. There have been several occasions when a new member has asked a question, then never returned for the answers!! Curious.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
nellpilgrim said:
...if I see a subject that has been already/often discussed (even if that discussion was was way back) I've had a tendency to skip responding and even worse think...."oh SIL will post a reply"! ...

Fixed! :p

Seriously, I get anoyed and skip when I see that the ''poster'' has not taken the time to search on the topic, which often time has been discussed or answered many a time.

Am I aloof to other's questions and worries? No! In such cases, just not intellectualy enticed.

Wishing to partake,
Jean-Marc

Yes, but I think it's pretty natural for people to come onto the forum then ask their questions without doing a search. And honestly, sometimes the search doesn't work well for me... and... some people just want a personal answer.

It doesn't bother me.
I say the same thing over and over like a robot! lol
::shrug::

My main goal is to help new pilgs get started, whatever they need...

Interesting. My experience from other boards is that there is nothing more off putting to a new person who asks a question than being told: "this has been asked before go and do a search". It takes some time for people to find their way around and sometimes as has been said the Search function is difficult. I think the one thing that makes this Forum so popular is the willingness of members old and new to share their experience and knowledge freely.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I used to be a lot more active here a couple of years ago after I completed my Camino in 2007, but as time has passed and daily life has intruded I've been here less often. So even though I'm probably not the best one to comment on this, I'm going to do so anyway.

I think it does get a bit repetitive after awhile to post the same "newbie" answers over and over again, especially as one's experience become less and less current. However, it's cool to at least direct the person to an existing answer set (kind of like some folks do on the Rick Steves' ETBD site, where I also post from time to time).

That said, it does kind of bug me when people come here and ask for detailed information or seek moral/financial support but then vanish once they've gotten it without so much as a fare-thee-well. Two somewhat galling instances: 1) students writing papers on the Camino who troll for research help, and 2) folks who make a big splash about their walk for this or that charity.

Now, both of these situations are OK if courtesy is observed and everything is on the up-and-up. But when these blokes simply use the board and then don't give back (or even bother to return with a thank you and an update)...well, that's kind of bogus. 'Nuff said... :arrow:

Re:

JohnnieWalker said:
... I think the one thing that makes this Forum so popular is the willingness of members old and new to share their experience and knowledge freely.

Some newer members may not be as active but we are here and we greatly appreciate your knowledge and your kindness.

Canuck said:
nellpilgrim said:
...if I see a subject that has been already/often discussed (even if that discussion was was way back) I've had a tendency to skip responding and even worse think...."oh SIL will post a reply"! ...

Fixed! :p

.......Mea culpa mea maxima culpa :lol: you caught me red handed that's nearly exactly what I thought but my list was Sil, Mr Walker, Kiwinomad, Gitti, Falcon, Annie, Reb etc etc.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
falcon269 said:
You can see a member's last visit date and time on the membership roster. There have been several occasions when a new member has asked a question, then never returned for the answers!! Curious.

Yes, precisely what I find. It's not encouraging.

It would be good, as others have said above, if many more people would contribute to posts. Being on a forum is a two-way street. Otherwise things can descend into the same people posting all the time and I, for one, don't think that's good, or fair; in the long term, I think it's fatal. Which means answering even those who ask and never return. But of course you never know in advance who they are.

I understand that some people dip in for a little advice and then disappear but many also stay and as some of us have less recent experience there is usually a newer pilgrim to take on the mantle of giving current information and advice. There are also some solid contributors who over time find that they contribute less and less to the forum, Arn for example, and some like Sil in for the long run. There are many ways of contributing.

This forum is I think currently the most active one in English relating to the Caminos and as long as we have good people willing to help long may it remain so.

Yes, my postings have fallen off as well, possibly because there are other "veterans" such as Sil and Falcon who actively research and share really interesting and useful information on an ongoing basis. I enjoy these informative posts, as I'm sure others do.

I suppose it's posting fatigue. I have never been a fan of "what he said" contributions, so by the time I read a thread, it seems to have been covered adequately. Perhaps I'll pay more attention, particularly to the "newbie" posts.

lynne

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
One of the great things about this forum, as opposed to some of the other Camino forums, is that people can ask a FAQ without being told to do a search for the answer.
Often a question is the first post for a newbie. If he/she is told to read the archives for an answer, chances are they won't bother to ask anymore questions!
Another great thing about this forum is the minimal intervention and censorship by the moderators. A couple of the other forums are so heavily moderated that if you thank someone for a post or an answer to a question, the moderator 'refuses' the post and sends you a private message telling to contact the poster personally. I had this happen to me so often that I gave up on the forum and resigned from it. It had become a complete waste of time for me.
I usually log onto the website a few times a day and scroll down to see if there are any new queries that have had a lot of views but no replies. If I can offer an answer I do.
It really doesn't matter to me if the members disappear - its a bit like making strong friendships on the Camino that don't last long after you have parted ways. I follow a few past members on Facebook.

My postings have fallen off too, but it is now more than two and a half years since I got home. And having my arm in plaster last year for 6 1/2 weeks kept me off the computer for a bit, so I broke some of my addictive habits, like the forum!!

I have just been camping at the same place I camped three years ago, when I was keen to climb every hill possible as part of my Camino training. This year I still walked every morning, but mostly they were shorter walks, I didn't start at 6am, and I didn't climb nearly as many hills!!!

I know there are a lot more people answering queries who have more recent experience, and I generally leave them to it. I still tend to jump in if I see people have specific queries about the Le Puy route, but otherwise I am not here so much. I am quietly plotting my next Camino adventure, but it might well be 2013 before I get there.....
Margaret

Caminando said:

I first joined in 2007 when I was planning my first camino, the Camino Mozarabe and VdlP. At that time not many members of the group had done either of these routes and I didn't get much info. After completing my camino and becoming an instant addict I was able to offer info about these routes. Since then the VdlP has become much more popular and my experience is now out of date. But since then I have done a camino every year, a different one each time, so I can still offer something on occasion and get info tooo, for example the recent posts on doing the Norte in reverse are useful for 2012.

As for people who ask and run, I have no problem with this. This is after all primarily a place where people seek information.

If I were not still interested in doing more and different routes, I would probably not be here.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi

While I visit less frequently as my camino fades into the sunset, from time to time I send a pm if there is a topic where I feel I can make a contribution.

Cheers Rose Louise

AJ said:
I first joined in 2007 when I was planning my first camino, the Camino Mozarabe and VdlP. At that time not many members of the group had done either of these routes and I didn't get much info.

As for people who ask and run, I have no problem with this. This is after all primarily a place where people seek information.

If I were not still interested in doing more and different routes, I would probably not be here.

Yes AJ, though I wouldnt be so sure that "not many members" had done these routes you mention. Perhaps they didnt contribute.

You say, and I agree, that here is where people seek info. But that requires that others give that info, as you did. It's give and take. Too much "take" is not good.

You say you wouldnt be here but for info. But I'm sure you want to continue to give too. This is an excellent site because people share, not because they take.

Its in the jeans…...
Veterans: Strong work ethic, conservative and usually very loyal
Boomers: May be more diligent and more comfortable in a stable environment, generally loyal; accepting of ‘chain of command’ leadership style
Generation X: Prefer independence, self motivation and self sufficiency; may emphasise the need for personal satisfaction, have broken the traditional Maslow hierarchy of needs by challenging the path of individual development;
Generation: Y: Well educated, articulate with high levels of technical skills, more individualistic and comfortable being part of the global village.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
theres an interesting phenomenon called CYBER-BULLYING

wiki says: "the deliberate, repeated, and hostile behavior by an individual , that is intended to harm others"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)

I joined this forum because when i came back from my first camino i wanted to keep the experience alive somehow and also to feed my desire to learn about other camino routes and this is without doubt the best forum i have come across, so much so that i feel a little protective about it now.

For the last few weeks things have felt a little tetchy(as my head chef says) but thats mainly because of the wide range of subjects covered and these things sometimes cant help but provoke lively debate.
The one thing i have found with this forum is that if someone can reply to a topic, they will, they wont be sat in front of their computer thinking i wont bother. I think all of us if we can give an input somehow will, not only is it helping someone else, but it is helping us to keep alive that link to the camino we all feel.

To the individual who the above link is addressed, sorry, i wish i didnt have to post it, but where did you think you were going with that thread, why were you suprised when it got the response it did. Its like there was an inbuilt negative feeling to the female members of the forum, does that sound a bit harsh to you, if i am wrong, then read it again and see how i could have thought that.
I could go on and on, but really to what effect, if there is no goodwill (Is there?) all i would be doing is playing to the gallery.

Mike

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Someone did a study. The average pilgrim has a "lifespan" of three years: from the time he hears about the camino and decides to explore the possibility, until the time he actually does it, to the time he signs off the board and goes on to pursue other interests.

Moving on to other interests is normal. Kinda like spending a night in a little town on the camino, and then moving on the following day. The hospitalero doesn´t get fussed about why you don´t stay around or contribute more or better appreciate his town/hostel/hospitality. He lets you go.

The people who share lots of info. on the board are like good hospitaleros. They do the same job and answer the same questions over and over and over, and they hardly ever smack anybody. :)

Love it Reb!!!

I actually found out about the Camino way back in 1995, joined the forum in 2007, and didn't get around to it until 2010, so we'll see how long I last on here....planning to go to hospitalero training in March and doing the Camino again in 2012.....

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Rebekah Scott said:
Someone did a study. The average pilgrim has a "lifespan" of three years: from the time he hears about the camino and decides to explore the possibility, until the time he actually does it, to the time he signs off the board and goes on to pursue other interests.
I think I fit the three year theory more or less: it is now almost three years since I left home to walk the Camino. And I am not here so often...

But I hope there is another Camino Wave in my future in another year or three.... And I have quietly begun a new blog to collect info about the routes I might walk.... probably one from Cluny for instance... http://dawdlingwalks.blogspot.com/

But meanwhile, yes, there are other interests uppermost. I hope to get all the genealogy info I have gathered organised properly, and shared around to family. And having now recovered from last year's broken arm, and recently got back on my bicycle, maybe I can do a bit more cycle touring at home. Then of course, there is the necessary saving to begin....

But, I hope to be back one day on another wave.....

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.