• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Does anyone know how often the fumaria takes place? I want to make sure I do not miss this special

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The official schedule for the Botafumeiro can be found here: http://www.catedraldesantiago.es/en/node/482 but it also flies when somebody/a group pays for it. The later tends to happen more often in 'main season' and is, obviously, unpredictable.

However, there is a little trick to know if it might be flying the next mass. When you go to the Cathedral museum (reduced entry for pilgrims) check if there is a little fire on a metal stand in the patio/cloister upstairs, if yes, the Botafumeiro will swing at the next mass. The fire is used to lighten it.

Buen Camino, SY

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We had it this past Sunday at noon pilgrim mass. It was cool but no real big deal. There were so many people present we didn't even bother with going to the crypt or hugging the statue. Worse than Disney land.

Last year I was amazed that whilst the mass was taking place people were allowed to continue touring the cathedral and hug the statue.

Does anyone know how often the fumerua takes place in Santiago? I want to make sure I attend this special mass
We were fortunate enough to get to see it in back to back masses on Saturday, May 13th. We caught it at the end if the 10:30ish mass and then again for the noonish Pilgrim's mass that followed. A real treat!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The "fuemrua", a translation of "flying smoking thing" I suppose, flies many many times a day, as long as a group of tourists flips the bill. Makes us all more tolerant when queuing in restaurants I suppose. Pop,your head in and see if the ropes are hanging down before mass starts. That will be your cue.

I have been to 5 masses (June 2016 and May 2017) and the Botafumero occurred each time due to people paying for it. Another thing I noticed is that when it is payed for, the front rows are roped off and reserved for the payees. So that is another clue.
It is a beautiful event, even with all of the inappropriate cameras, so I would try to see it once.
Beware you may lose your seat if you go for communion just prior. This happened to me last week. It was a bit sad but I kept quiet.

Last year I was amazed that whilst the mass was taking place people were allowed to continue touring the cathedral and hug the statue.

This has only be a problem for about 1,000 year! Pilgrimage churches were specially designed for accommodate hordes of noisy pilgrims venerating relics while at the same time a mass is in progress. Nobody has yet found a perfect solution.

-Paul

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
This has only be a problem for about 1,000 year! Pilgrimage churches were specially designed for accommodate hordes of noisy pilgrims venerating relics while at the same time a mass is in progress. Nobody has yet found a perfect solution.

-Paul
Nope! In Santiago people are explicitly told to sit and be quiet. Security guards are there to enforce this. I wish there were more and were more rigorous.

Most read last week in this forum

https://inews.co.uk/news/world/tourists-spanish-city-face-backlash-2952834?ito=copy-link_share_article-top the last few seasons I've been walking the VdlP and if this report is only half true...
Hello, I walked the Camino Frances in September/October 2023 and have an opportunity (i.e. time) to do another one this May/June - although I only have ~4 weeks available. I'm thinking Norte...
Hi everyone, Pilgrim House Welcome Center opened on March 4 for the 2024 season. As always, the team would love to meet you (or see you again!) after your Camino. The Camino can be an emotional...
Hi, I am planning to finish my Camino July 20, but I was wondering if it is worth it to instead try to finish to see the holy day on July 25. Is it going to be super crowded on the 25th? I do...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back