• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Doubts after Day 1

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte (2016)
Hi all,

I started the CdN yesterday from Irún and have been looking forward to 6/7 weeks of amazing hiking. But after about 6 hours my knees totally gave up. Coming downhill was absolute torture!! I am now questioning whether I can go on another day let alone all the way to Santiago

This morning, surprisingly, my knees seem to have recovered - though this may well be in part due to the Diclofenac I took last night before bed. I am going to take a day to rest here in San Sebastián and invest in some hiking poles. Pole recommendations and any other tips would be most welcome!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi all,

I started the CdN yesterday from Irún and have been looking forward to 6/7 weeks of amazing hiking. But after about 6 hours my knees totally gave up. Coming downhill was absolute torture!! I am now questioning whether I can go on another day let alone all the way to Santiago

This morning, surprisingly, my knees seem to have recovered - though this may well be in part due to the Diclofenac I took last night before bed. I am going to take a day to rest here in San Sebastián and invest in some hiking poles. Pole recommendations and any other tips would be most welcome!
Hi Alan, hope that you can go on. :)
Wish you all the best, Peter.

Sorry to hear about your knee, not the sort of thing you want to experience on day 1.

regarding walking poles I use Lekki and my wife Altus, they are very good makes and did us proud. I have to say without them I know I wouldn't have been able to complete the CF. There are a lot of good makes out there, you just need the right one for you.
Last year on the CF after 4 weeks I experienced a knee joint problem (and I was using poles), it wasn't something I damaged on the camino, more of something from a past life catching up on me. Anyway I went to one of the many Farmacia along the route and got measure for a knee brace (the elasticated type with the boning down the sides). I'm not saying that this is what you need, but after I got mine I was going down hill like as Gazelle.
Well worth seeking the advice from the Famacia.

Hope all goes well and you can continue your journey.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Regarding walking poles I use Lekki and my wife Altus, they are very good makes and did us proud. I have to say without them I know I wouldn't have been able to complete the CF. There are a lot of good makes out there, you just need the right one for you.
Last year on the CF after 4 weeks I experienced a knee joint problem (and I was using poles), it wasn't something I damaged on the camino, more of something from a past life catching up on me. Anyway I went to one of the many Farmacia along the route and got measure for a knee brace (the elasticated type with the boning down the sides). I'm not saying that this is what you need, but after I got mine I was going down hill like as Gazelle.
Well worth seeking the advice from the Famacia.
Great advice, thank you for taking the time, Waka!

Diclofenac at night (not the slow release) and ibuprofen in the morning.

The first week will have lots of up and downs, take it slowly. And yes, walking poles used properly, so you actually put weight on then to releive the knees.

Good luck.

Poles are an excellent idea. Learn from utube how to use them correctly. Otherwise you'll be wasting your time and money as well as receiving no benefit.
Diclofenac with breakfast ensures muscles are being repaired while you walk. Diclofenac with dinner ensures muscles are being repaired while you sleep.
When fit I take 50 gms each morning. But I have no hesitation in taking another 50 gms in the evenings if I am feeling sore.
Consider ascertaining your daily prescription and taking half in the morning and half in the evening.
Regards..... (I couldn't walk without the Diclo)
Gerard

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@Alan Alexander I'm in the crappy knee brigade too, having severely torn ligaments while young (skiing), and now seem to have no rubber left in them at all. So I am totally dependant on my trekking sticks. But I managed the Norte without problems, mainly by keeping the daily distances down at the beginning, until some of the muscles around my knees had strengthened. For example we did not walk all the way from Irun to San Sebastian the first day, but stopped in Passajes San Juan. Provided you are not totally dependant on albergues it is easy (with a few exceptions) to shorten distances on the Norte because there is so much in the way of alternative accommodation.
Good luck and I envy you - it's a beautiful camino.

The shock absorbing poles work best for me. I have begun both of my walks without them and invariably was found wanting them. I usually found some along the way. Next time I'll bring my own.

If you don't want to spend a fortune on your first trekking poles, I advise visiting a chinese shop - you can find lots of them in San Sebastian. They sell shock absorbing poles at 8-9 euros a piece, and they are surprisingly good regarding the price. Just make sure the handles have the shape that you like.
I also recommend having the next stop at the Orio's San Martin albergue. Not far from San Sebastian, but a great experience and Rosa is one of the angels of the Camino del Norte. And a good cook, too!

Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Poles are an excellent idea. Learn from utube how to use them correctly. Otherwise you'll be wasting your time and money as well as receiving no benefit.
Diclofenac with breakfast ensures muscles are being repaired while you walk. Diclofenac with dinner ensures muscles are being repaired while you sleep.
When fit I take 50 gms each morning. But I have no hesitation in taking another 50 gms in the evenings if I am feeling sore.
Consider ascertaining your daily prescription and taking half in the morning and half in the evening.
Regards..... (I couldn't walk without the Diclo)
Gerard
Thanks, Gerard! I just don't want to mask the pain whilst possibly doing more damage. Is there a significant difference between Diclofenac and Ibuprofen?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@Alan Alexander I'm in the crappy knee brigade too, having severely torn ligaments while young (skiing), and now seem to have no rubber left in them at all. So I am totally dependant on my trekking sticks. But I managed the Norte without problems, mainly by keeping the daily distances down at the beginning, until some of the muscles around my knees had strengthened. For example we did not walk all the way from Irun to San Sebastian the first day, but stopped in Passajes San Juan. Provided you are not totally dependant on albergues it is easy (with a few exceptions) to shorten distances on the Norte because there is so much in the way of alternative accommodation.
Good luck and I envy you - it's a beautiful camino.
I foolishly did Irún to Donostia in one very painful day. Great to hear it is still possible despite crappy knees!! That's really given me a boost
How many kilometres did you aim to complete on an average day? My original intention was about 23km...

If you don't want to spend a fortune on your first trekking poles, I advise visiting a chinese shop - you can find lots of them in San Sebastian. They sell shock absorbing poles at 8-9 euros a piece, and they are surprisingly good regarding the price. Just make sure the handles have the shape that you like.
I also recommend having the next stop at the Orio's San Martin albergue. Not far from San Sebastian, but a great experience and Rosa is one of the angels of the Camino del Norte. And a good cook, too!

Buen Camino!
GREAT!! I will do so! Thanks, Arthur! Looking forward to meeting Rosa!

"I just don't want to mask the pain whilst possibly doing more damage"

You are smarter than many of the people trying to give you (not necessarilly) good advice. There is no better way to destroy your Camino than walking on pain killers, because they make you insensitive to pain so that you destroy your knees and not feeling it. The Ibuprofen or other anti-inflammatory pills should be taken after you are done with your walking for the day, not before or during.
Any doctor would advice you to shorten your stages, walk really slow on descents, and use trekking poles...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There is no better way to destroy your Camino than walking on pain killers, because they make you insensitive to pain so that you destroy your knees and not feeling it. The Ibuprofen or other inflammatory pills should be taken after you are done with your walking for the day, not before or during.
Any doctor would advice you to shorten your stages, walk really slow on descents, and use trekking poles...
Thank you:)

I'll be just a few days behind you, Alan Alexander, so if you make short stages, I'll catch up with you and I'll be happy to ask how your knees are doing in person, probably somewhere in Asturias... So take easy on your knees if you have 7 weeks - that's a lot! I have just 32 days. Buen Camino! Arthur.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I agree that pain killers should not be used foolishly. However, anti-inflammatories work by reducing inflammation, which is a good thing. That is why the pain is reduced. If you are going to continue successfully, you probably need to accept all the tools that are available and use them appropriately. The tools are, quite simply:
  • Reduced distances
  • Poles
  • Lighter load (you didn't mention the weight)
  • Anti-inflammatory medication
  • Rest when necessary
  • Knee brace if helpful
Don't give up until you have tried these things. Many people have knee problems and manage successfully. Many people wisely stop for a day or a year to let their knees heal.

I'll be just a few days behind you, Alan Alexander, so if you make short stages, I'll catch up with you and I'll be happy to ask how your knees are doing in person, probably somewhere in Asturias... So take easy on your knees if you have 7 weeks - that's a lot! I have just 32 days. Buen Camino! Arthur.
You will definitely catch up to me in that case! See you soon :)

All great advise, may I add, that even with poles, walk downhill in slalom style, zigzag, make your own switchbacks... whatever you want to call it. Avoid going straight down or run down etc. Buen Camino from an old mountain goat...;-)
I instinctively started doing that and, you're right, it helped. I even took to walking downhill backwards at one point...!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I agree that pain killers should not be used foolishly. However, anti-inflammatories work by reducing inflammation, which is a good thing. That is why the pain is reduced. If you are going to continue successfully, you probably need to accept all the tools that are available and use them appropriately. The tools are, quite simply:
  • Reduced distances
  • Poles
  • Lighter load (you didn't mention the weight)
  • Rest when necessary
  • Knee brace if helpful
Don't give up until you have tried these things. Many people have knee problems and manage successfully. Many people wisely stop for a day or a year to let their knees heal.
Thank you, CC! I am carrying about 13kg including food and water which I think is acceptable, given that I'm about 80kg...
Do you know if there is a difference between Ibuprofen and Diclofenac? I was recommended the latter and carry these with me. Should I buy some Ibuprofen as well?
I am buying hiking poles today and will consider a knee brace as well if this doesn't help. My elasticated knee straps don't seem to work.

It's obviously impossible to diagnose at long distance but in my view the weight that you are carrying is just way too much
You're at over 16% of body weight, a common rule of thumb suggests 10%, I think 6-7% is achievable for a summer camino
I walk the Norte with 3kg (including a couple of bars of chocolate) plus liquid
Start leaving behind heavier items until your knees improve - I'm only half joking
And too many painkillers will serve to reduce the immediate pain but at the same time mask the true cause

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
"I just don't want to mask the pain whilst possibly doing more damage"

You are smarter than many of the people trying to give you (not necessarilly) good advice. There is no better way to destroy your Camino than walking on pain killers, because they make you insensitive to pain so that you destroy your knees and not feeling it. The Ibuprofen or other anti-inflammatory pills should be taken after you are done with your walking for the day, not before or during.

Hear hear!!
Had a talk with my physio yesterday and he strongly advises against painkillers at start of walk because of indeed masking the pain. Better, when needed, take one before sleeping.

Then my second point : ask your doc / gp about what painkillers work best for you individually.
I learned the hard way that I'm allergic to Diclofenac but not to Ibuprofen.
So everyone reacts individually to medication.

difference between Ibuprofen and Diclofenac
I have no medical training! However, I understand that they are similar types of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. It may be worth trying both to see which one works better for you and your condition. If the one you have is not effective, try the other. By the way, there are "pain killers" that simply mask the pain. However, anti-inflammatories have another primary function that is useful, and the pain going away is secondary. I use them within the recommended doses, but I certainly do not ignore my injury.
I am carrying about 13kg including food and water which I think is acceptable, given that I'm about 80kg...
It only matters if it is acceptable to you and your body! But it does not sound like it is working well, so that would be the first thing to change. I would advise that you reduce to about 7-8 kg to give yourself the best chance. You can forward a bag on to Ivar (of this forum) in Santiago, or mail the stuff home. Feel free to list your contents and we will happily tell you what you don't need! Take advantage of a rest day or two to make these changes.

@Alan Alexander we did not set any specific daily target but initially tried to keep it down in the low teens. I agree that your pack seems heavy - are you sure you don't have unnecessary gear? If I don't wear a piece of clothing every day, then I don't need it (except a waterproof outer shell). My pack on the Norte was also about 13 kilos but I was carrying a tent and all the associated gear, and using an Aarn pack with balance packs. Without the tent it is 8 kilos and that includes things others would consider unnecessary (umbrella, fitted bottom sheet, pillow).
Take time to go through your pack and send the excess to Ivar to keep for you in Santiago!
Hope the weather is good and you get in some swimming.

Poles: Black diamond ultra light! Do not know whether you can buy them in San Sebastian, but I recommend these, 270 g a pair, cost a lot, but I have used mine on all my caminos since 2011(vdlP) and on several walks everyday at home since 2011. Eclipsable. 45 com put together in their etui, accepted in handluggage too.
I went the first day from Irun to San Sebastian without a heavy backpack because I chose to stay in SS for 2 nights and take the train back to Irun in the morning for the walk. What I remembered about the Norte was some heavy streches on the highway because of bad weather and bad paths in
springtime.
What I do remember at every camino, is that some days,mostly during the first days, after a long walk, you feel that when you sit down, you'll never be able to raise up again or walk the next day but even though, when you start walking the next day, "du går han inn" as we say in Norwegian, you continue walking, and it gets better for each km.

It only matters if it is acceptable to you and your body! But it does not sound like it is working well, so that would be the first thing to change. I would advise that you reduce to about 7-8 kg to give yourself the best chance. You can forward a bag on to Ivar (of this forum) in Santiago, or mail the stuff home. Feel free to list your contents and we will happily tell you what you don't need! Take advantage of a rest day or two to make these changes.
I will try to send a full list of items tomorrow evening. But I can tell you now that a big portion of the weight is the tent I'm carrying which adds about 2-3kg. I want to camp every now and again.

@Alan Alexander we did not set any specific daily target but initially tried to keep it down in the low teens. I agree that your pack seems heavy - are you sure you don't have unnecessary gear? If I don't wear a piece of clothing every day, then I don't need it (except a waterproof outer shell). My pack on the Norte was also about 13 kilos but I was carrying a tent and all the associated gear, and using an Aarn pack with balance packs. Without the tent it is 8 kilos and that includes things others would consider unnecessary (umbrella, fitted bottom sheet, pillow).
Take time to go through your pack and send the excess to Ivar to keep for you in Santiago!
Hope the weather is good and you get in some swimming.
I am carrying a tent too. I reckon it's about 2-3kg if I remember correctly.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks, Gerard! I just don't want to mask the pain whilst possibly doing more damage. Is there a significant difference between Diclofenac and Ibuprofen?
While here I would appear to be in the minority I hold the opinion that there is nothing wrong with masking pain.
Surely that is what pain relief is all about!
I have been masking pain every day since 1979.
The great joy about anti-inflammatories is that they are healing while enabling exercise to take place. This is not just masking pain. This is about healing the cause of it!
Just be careful in following medical advice as to prescribed quantity.
I stop using for a day every now and then to ascertain my true condition.

I have only been a user of Ibuprofen in an emergency when Diclofenac is unavailable, which these days is rare, so am unable to give a considered opinion on efficacy.

I would heartily endorse C clearly's advice in regards to:
  • Reduced distances - My daily max is 20ks - That's MAX cobber!
  • Poles
  • Lighter load - We need to be even more vigilant than others!
  • Rest when necessary - and when not necessary!
  • Knee brace if helpful
Kind regards
Gerard

EDIT
Consider losing the tent mate.
Unless it's a budget problem it's not an essential.

Last edited:
When buying poles I have only two recommendations 1. weight 2. reverberations against ground. After that it doesn't matter. the best poles I ever had (stolen) were bought from a discount shop for €20. I have yet to find an equal replacement.

Don't give up! You have received much advise, some of which I have not read, but good stuff! I would say that 6 hrs the first day was a bit ambitious. Knee brace, anti-inflamm, rest, then do a short day, then medium day, then see how you are doing. My guess is that your knees gave you warning. There is no shame in your knees telling you to take a short day! Best of luck, and doubt not. It is just your beginning. I am cheering for you!

Also, Boot the tent unless you absolutely need it. Even sleeping in the rough can be done every once in a while without it...Church porch, etc. Mail it home at the first opportunity which is...well, as your hospitalier or let me know where you are and I'll see if I can help.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Diclofenac is an anti inflamatory. Ibu a pain killer.

I had been taken diclo slow release in the morning and a muscle relaxant at night (can you hear me snoring?!). But on my last Camino I met a Portugse Camino addictwho suggested I switch todirect, immediate, diclo at night to help restore the tissue, and yes, mask the pain during the dayto be able to keep walking. This while keeping in mind that no ibuprofen will mask any sort of injury beyond theexpected "walk25km a day, day aftr day" pain.

Diclofenac is an anti inflamatory. Ibu a pain killer.
I guess we need a pharmacist to weigh in, but my research says that both diclofenac and ibuprofen are non-steroidal anti-inflammatories. Perhaps you are thinking of paracetomol/tylenol, which is an analgesic (pain killer).

Of course I need to weigh in!

Advice has been excellent here.

Side note: I found the first week exceptionally grueling. Then, it gets better. It sounds like the "bad knee" brigade isn't a corps that will improve though, so all of the suggestions sound good. Poles--any poles--will help so much.

A tent?? Hmmmm. You are carrying too much weight, period. You need to try to reduce by at least four kilos. It will ease your pain.

What a great group of friends have weighed in here, and I am excited to hear back about how those knees are doing.

Deb

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I guess we need a pharmacist to weigh in, but my research says that both diclofenac and ibuprofen are non-steroidal anti-inflammatories. Perhaps you are thinking of paracetomol/tylenol, which is an analgesic (pain killer).

Correct! Diclo and Ibu from same family but some chemical content is different. And in my case that specific content makes me allergic to Diclo but not to Ibu....

Please, please, please ditch the tent
On the Norte, there is much less of a rush for beds and you should be able to get an albergue bed every night - also, wild camping is frowned upon in Spain - but I would also be reluctant to be alone in relatively isolated spots during the night
This is not really wilderness hiking it is instead a sequence of day walks, where you can re-group at the end of the day's walk - buy food, go to a supermercado, farmacia, rest
Apart from a light rain jacket, I wear everything I carry each and every day - get rid of things that you might use and keep only things that you will use
Good luck

Thank you, CC! I am carrying about 13kg including food and water which I think is acceptable, given that I'm about 80kg...
Do you know if there is a difference between Ibuprofen and Diclofenac? I was recommended the latter and carry these with me. Should I buy some Ibuprofen as well?
I am buying hiking poles today and will consider a knee brace as well if this doesn't help. My elasticated knee straps don't seem to work.

As a 4 time Camino Norte Trekker you need to forward backpack for a day or two. Also your pack way too heavy. Max for your weight 8 km. try 6km. I never carry more that 6km and I have finished 12 caminos. What's wrong with a stick instead of poles Buen camino

I am carrying a tent too. I reckon it's about 2-3kg if I remember correctly.

13 KG pack! No wonder you have bad knees :oops:

Lots of good advice above. I would just stress the need to get professional medical advice.
For your specific condition, and state of health.
A doctor or pharmacist.

As an aside. I found the Physios in Spain outstanding! and cheap!

My doctor advised me to take anti inflammatories and painkillers (for Achilles Tendonitis) during the day and at night.
Did it 'mask' the pain. Of course not. It 'dulled' the pain a bit. Meaning I was able to walk, with a semi normal gait so as not to make things worse.
We discussed various scenarios and the pros and cons of various meds.

But.....every case is different....so members here can really only share their own experience/case. That may or may not apply to you. But at least it helps you weigh up options.

I used poles as well. Could not walk that well without them after a while.

You'll get there. Just take it easy ;)

Last edited:
What's wrong with a stick instead of poles Buen camino

A lot :oops:

Imbalance by only having one.
Not as strong.
Not adjustable in height for uphill, v downhill v flat.
and most importantly
No wrist straps, as they take all the weight.

Not wishing to start another pole or no pole debate sorry.
But a stick is no more a walking pole, than a 'flip flop' (thong, jandal), is a hiking shoe ;)

I have walked the norte twice without poles. I am now using poles for the first time AND MY KNEES ARE ARE AFFIRMING that God is merciful. I have Pacer Poles. I cannot say how they compare to other brands. They do the job for me

Hi all,

Hi all,

I was about 3 days into my Camino when my right knee gave out on me. I rested for two days, took quite a bit of Ibuprofen, and bought a good knee brace, the kind that slips over your knee with the hole for the knee cap and wrap around straps. After 2 days rest, and sending my pack ahead for 2 more days, and lots of ibuprofen, it started walking again, with some hiking poles i bought in Burgos. I improved greatly and was able to make it to Santiago. I don't think I could have done it without the the treatment mentioned above. don't give up too soon.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Bad knees. Bad ankles. Bad arches. Bad conditioning.
START SLOWLY AND THEN TAPER OFF!!.
Pack lightly or use a pack service (or even a taxi when injured).
Use poles if for no other reason than to keep balance so you don't injure the joint.
Use proper joint support devices--I had my physical therapist teach me how to wrap my arches and ankles and wear an ankle and a knee brace as necessary.

Let your body be your guide--not a tourbook or arbitrary stages. Caminos cease being fun when they become a race.

My motto is ''I will do discomfort but will not do misery."

I made it! And it's absolutely beautiful! THOROUGHLY recommended! Thanks, Arthur!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 25
Don't give up! You have received much advise, some of which I have not read, but good stuff! I would say that 6 hrs the first day was a bit ambitious. Knee brace, anti-inflamm, rest, then do a short day, then medium day, then see how you are doing. My guess is that your knees gave you warning. There is no shame in your knees telling you to take a short day! Best of luck, and doubt not. It is just your beginning. I am cheering for you!

Also, Boot the tent unless you absolutely need it. Even sleeping in the rough can be done every once in a while without it...Church porch, etc. Mail it home at the first opportunity which is...well, as your hospitalier or let me know where you are and I'll see if I can help.
Thanks JGray! My first day ended up being 8 hours haha. I am actually in much better spirits today. The rest day in Donostia did wonders. By the end of today it was only my left knee that was hurting - my right seemed fine. The poles were amazing help!! I didn't get as far as Zarautz but chose to stay in Orio on the recommendation of @arthur1218 but no pasa nada. This hostel (San Martin) is AMAZING!

I really like the idea of camping wild though. Not sure how I'd feel about sleeping on a porch... Also thank you very much for your kind offer!!

Of course I need to weigh in!

Advice has been excellent here.

Side note: I found the first week exceptionally grueling. Then, it gets better. It sounds like the "bad knee" brigade isn't a corps that will improve though, so all of the suggestions sound good. Poles--any poles--will help so much.

A tent?? Hmmmm. You are carrying too much weight, period. You need to try to reduce by at least four kilos. It will ease your pain.

What a great group of friends have weighed in here, and I am excited to hear back about how those knees are doing.

Deb
Thanks, Debrita! The knees were better today. Started off really well after a day's rest in San Seb - even managed uphill sin problemas. But eventually my left knee gave in and was painful for most of the way down. At least my right held up this time.

Since you liked my recommendation, Alan, let me give you another one for tomorrow:
The albergue at the Convent of San Jose in Zumaia, for me an absolutely amazing place!
The distance would be about the same like you have done today, about 16 km.
But this albergue is not to be missed! And Zumaia is a beautiful little coastal town,
http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/albergue-municipal-de-zumaia

Oh, and another tip: Regarding the knee problems, I wouldn't attempt the high route from Zarautz to Getaria. There is a nice and flat promenade along the coast which, I believe, is used by most pilgrims nowadays. There is still plenty of hills in Pais Vasco waiting for you :)

I am happy you feel better! Just take it easy and Santiago is yours!

Buen Camino!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was about 3 days into my Camino when my right knee gave out on me. I rested for two days, took quite a bit of Ibuprofen, and bought a good knee brace, the kind that slips over your knee with the hole for the knee cap and wrap around straps. After 2 days rest, and sending my pack ahead for 2 more days, and lots of ibuprofen, it started walking again, with some hiking poles i bought in Burgos. I improved greatly and was able to make it to Santiago. I don't think I could have done it without the the treatment mentioned above. don't give up too soon.
Thank you for the encouragement! I need it!!

Since you liked my recommendation, Alan, let me give you another one for tomorrow:
The albergue at the Convent of San Jose in Zumaia, for me an absolutely amazing place!
The distance would be about the same like you have done today, about 16 km.
But this albergue is not to be missed! And Zumaia is a beautiful little coastal town,
http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/albergue-municipal-de-zumaia

Oh, and another tip: Regarding the knee problems, I wouldn't attempt the high route from Zarautz to Getaria. There is a nice and flat promenade along the coast which, I believe, is used by most pilgrims nowadays. There is still plenty of hills in Pais Vasco waiting for you :)

I am happy you feel better! Just take it easy and Santiago is yours!

Buen Camino!
Took the coastal promenade route - definitely the better option for me! San José doesn't open until 3pm and apparently you can't book in advance but I will definitely search it out.
Thanks again!!

San José doesn't open until 3pm
Wow! You have been walking for just two days in Spain and you remember to place an accent over the e in San José. Impressive! That shows your respect for the language of the country you are visiting! Some people walk the Camino for 5 weeks and still don't know how to spell albergue or peregrino :rolleyes:
Thumb up and Buen Camino!

keep%2Bcalm%2Bcarry%2Bon%2Bbrexit%2Bblues.png

Wow! You have been walking for just two days in Spain and you remember to place an accent over the e in San José. Impressive! That shows your respect for the language of the country you are visiting! Some people walk the Camino for 5 weeks and still don't know how to spell albergue or peregrino :rolleyes:
Thumb up and Buen Camino!

keep%2Bcalm%2Bcarry%2Bon%2Bbrexit%2Bblues.png
I guess at this point I should confess that I currently work in an international school in Valencia... haha.
I do love languages though and find these little details important.

Hi all,

Get some poles, you don't need anything special, not too cheap though. You will be amazed what a difference they will make especially down hill. Good luck Buen Camino x

Hi all,

OMG YES YES to hiking poles. You will find that your knees will be so happy. Somewheres around 20 yrs ago, for some reason, I started using my cross country ski poles - what a help. Then I went for Leki with the springs. A bit more costly but worth every cent. Buen camino.

experiment with the straps on the pack. Against all advice I put more weight on my shoulders rather than hips and it had a dramatic improvement on my knees or to be more specific itb pain. Best of luck

Hi all,

Hi all,

Hi all,

Hello Alan, 2 poles are more helpful than one as there is a balanced support. Also, when I walked the Camino France's in 2014 I found that walking backwards for a while really gave significant relief to the knees and to the toes! But keep your eye on the path so that you don't walk down a pothole etc.
Bon Chance

Hi all,

Best advice I ever got about waliking downhill is to take it HEEL first, not toe first. Saved my knees, legs, psyche, etc.! Best of luck to you on your Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Reduce the weight of your pack in half. I reduced from 8 kg to 6 kg and it made a world of difference. Carry 1/2 the amount of water and stop to refill often. Stretch often, especially your IT band. Definitely use poles with shock absorbers. What boots and socks are you using? That can make a huge difference, too.

Buen Camino

Hi Alan. I second most of the previous comments and suggestions: 2 poles, shorter distances the first few days AND seriously lighten your load! A pack of 13 kgs (nearly 30 pounds), IMHO, is ways too heavy, regardless of your weight. I can see the need for such load (or even heavier) for such trails as the AT where one needs to be self sufficient. On the camino, where there are accommodations, food and water everywhere, one does not need to put such a heavy burden on one's back (and thus on one's shoulders, legs, ankles and knees!) If you carry something "in case" you need it, then you don't really need it. On my CF and CP (during cooler months), my pack was only 5 kgs. I'm about to leave for another walk on the CP later this month and this time my pack will only be 4 kgs (no need for fleece jacket or down vest since it's summertime.) I'm very conscious about weight saving (i.e. being ultra light) since I'm a polio survivor with an artificial knee - and just turned 70. That's also the reason I must use a pair of hiking poles (Leki.) I simply could not have done the previous 2 caminos without these poles. Make sure you ask some veteran pilgrims about the correct usage of these poles. I've seen some people who had no clue - in which case the poles became a hindrance and extra weight. I hope that by now you're in better shape and well on your way. Buen camino, amigo!

Hi all,

Hope you have recovered and are somewhere on the trail.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@Alan Alexander Sorry that I didn't know, we could have had a beer together in SS. I am here for the month taking a CELTA course and live a stone's throw from where you enter SS and walk beside the first beach.

This morning I decided to walk a bit of the Camino but my legs took me all the way to Zarautz! Camino deformation I guess - I see an arrow and I can't stop!

I did this part of the Camino last September but now nice to do it with sun. And I certainly don't remember that LONG downhill into Orio. It resembles the Calzada Romana. I was sorry that I left my walking poles at home - especially with all the ups and downs today.

Hope that you found some poles and are ok.

Cheers
LT

Couple of comments. Mostly hearsay.
I use an old pair of Leki poles and they work well for me. Just having poles is probably 80-90% of the solution - maybe even more. Fine tuning the type is worth maybe 10-20% more on top of that - maybe even less. That being said I have consistently heard very good things about Pacer Poles from the people I have met that used them. I had my hand straps tightened down too hard when I was first using poles and I think that did some sort of minor neurological damage to me. Left me with some tingling in one of my forearms. In fact I would recommend you consider not using the hand straps at all, especially if you are road walking where there is a narrow shoulder. Makes it much easier to ditch the poles if you have to bail out to the side of the road. Good idea to have poles that will compress down to a length that fits inside your pack either for carry-on or for checked baggage. Mine don't and they are a bit of an annoyance for that reason. The other nice thing about sticks is that they give you a little bit of confidence in some of the areas where barking dogs can be a bit intimidating.
I used vitamin I - one 600 mg in the evening before bed - to help with plantar fasciitis this year and it worked very well for me but I'm not a doctor and don't even play one on TV. I took a two day break from it at least once a week and was told by a doctor that that level of use would not be a problem for me. Also told by the same doctor that the best cure for overuse injuries was underuse - i.e. rest. You should get your own medical advice.
Agree with the advice to lighten your pack. If you are facing a big climb/descent day I also agree that you consider shipping your pack ahead. It's worth it.
Also heard good things about the physio tape that many people use. Brightly coloured. Looks sort of like "exo-tendons" on your skin. Apparently it lasts up to two weeks even with showering, etc.

Hi all,

Try to ck with albergues if they have any someone forgot. The give them away or sell at low prices. Best are rigid fiberglass poles. Reduce your load. I suggest you take the downgrades easy.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have a couple of restriction bandages, one for each knee, and they make it possible for me to walk for extended periods. Should be able to find them in a pharmacy.

I was about 3 days into my Camino when my right knee gave out on me. I rested for two days, took quite a bit of Ibuprofen, and bought a good knee brace, the kind that slips over your knee with the hole for the knee cap and wrap around straps.

The same type of 'bandages' saved me as well.

Last edited:
OMG YES YES to hiking poles. You will find that your knees will be so happy. Somewheres around 20 yrs ago, for some reason, I started using my cross country ski poles - what a help. Then I went for Leki with the springs. A bit more costly but worth every cent. Buen camino.
You are right! Best investment EVER!! My knees are eternally grateful!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Reduce the weight of your pack in half. I reduced from 8 kg to 6 kg and it made a world of difference. Carry 1/2 the amount of water and stop to refill often. Stretch often, especially your IT band. Definitely use poles with shock absorbers. What boots and socks are you using? That can make a huge difference, too.

Buen Camino
Thanks! I have some decent boots and use dual layered 1000 Mile socks. No blisters yet! I will look into reducing the weight but am starting to get the hang of it. I do need to stretch though - feeling lazing at the beginning and the end of the day...

Hi Alan. I second most of the previous comments and suggestions: 2 poles, shorter distances the first few days AND seriously lighten your load! A pack of 13 kgs (nearly 30 pounds), IMHO, is ways too heavy, regardless of your weight. I can see the need for such load (or even heavier) for such trails as the AT where one needs to be self sufficient. On the camino, where there are accommodations, food and water everywhere, one does not need to put such a heavy burden on one's back (and thus on one's shoulders, legs, ankles and knees!) If you carry something "in case" you need it, then you don't really need it. On my CF and CP (during cooler months), my pack was only 5 kgs. I'm about to leave for another walk on the CP later this month and this time my pack will only be 4 kgs (no need for fleece jacket or down vest since it's summertime.) I'm very conscious about weight saving (i.e. being ultra light) since I'm a polio survivor with an artificial knee - and just turned 70. That's also the reason I must use a pair of hiking poles (Leki.) I simply could not have done the previous 2 caminos without these poles. Make sure you ask some veteran pilgrims about the correct usage of these poles. I've seen some people who had no clue - in which case the poles became a hindrance and extra weight. I hope that by now you're in better shape and well on your way. Buen camino, amigo!
Thank you so much for all the advice, hnguyen! I struggle to think ultra light but it clearly is possible! I think I've got the poles down now. I can't believe how much of a difference they make. And now one tells me there are shock absorbing ones available!? The good news is that I am in much better shape now! The last two days I made it through without much discomfort in either knee! Enjoy your latest Camino!

@Alan Alexander Sorry that I didn't know, we could have had a beer together in SS. I am here for the month taking a CELTA course and live a stone's throw from where you enter SS and walk beside the first beach.

This morning I decided to walk a bit of the Camino but my legs took me all the way to Zarautz! Camino deformation I guess - I see an arrow and I can't stop!

I did this part of the Camino last September but now nice to do it with sun. And I certainly don't remember that LONG downhill into Orio. It resembles the Calzada Romana. I was sorry that I left my walking poles at home - especially with all the ups and downs today.

Hope that you found some poles and are ok.

Cheers
LT
Hi LT, yes that would have been nice, especially on that day! Maybe some other time... Pero bueno, I made it as far as Markina now and no sign of stopping

Couple of comments. Mostly hearsay.
I use an old pair of Leki poles and they work well for me. Just having poles is probably 80-90% of the solution - maybe even more. Fine tuning the type is worth maybe 10-20% more on top of that - maybe even less. That being said I have consistently heard very good things about Pacer Poles from the people I have met that used them. I had my hand straps tightened down too hard when I was first using poles and I think that did some sort of minor neurological damage to me. Left me with some tingling in one of my forearms. In fact I would recommend you consider not using the hand straps at all, especially if you are road walking where there is a narrow shoulder. Makes it much easier to ditch the poles if you have to bail out to the side of the road. Good idea to have poles that will compress down to a length that fits inside your pack either for carry-on or for checked baggage. Mine don't and they are a bit of an annoyance for that reason. The other nice thing about sticks is that they give you a little bit of confidence in some of the areas where barking dogs can be a bit intimidating.
I used vitamin I - one 600 mg in the evening before bed - to help with plantar fasciitis this year and it worked very well for me but I'm not a doctor and don't even play one on TV. I took a two day break from it at least once a week and was told by a doctor that that level of use would not be a problem for me. Also told by the same doctor that the best cure for overuse injuries was underuse - i.e. rest. You should get your own medical advice.
Agree with the advice to lighten your pack. If you are facing a big climb/descent day I also agree that you consider shipping your pack ahead. It's worth it.
Also heard good things about the physio tape that many people use. Brightly coloured. Looks sort of like "exo-tendons" on your skin. Apparently it lasts up to two weeks even with showering, etc.
Thanks, Gillean! Loving the poles! I do use the hand straps a lot when going uphill so I don't have to grip so hard constantly. Definitely feeling it in my hands, forearms and triceps... Maybe I will use vitamin supplements - especially if it gets worse again!

Dear all,

I am feeling very well looked after by all of you lovely people with all of your lovely advice! So thank you!!

I have made it to Markina! I was very worried about this last stretch as it was a very big climb and (more importantly) a super sharp descent. But I made it in one piece. And since after the first day in Donostia my knees have hurt progressively less and less, and for the last two days they didn't hurt at all! There was a little bit of discomfort on the decline today but otherwise I feel great! And now I think I might actually be able to complete it after all, which I'm so so so excited about!

Again, I cannot stress enough the difference your help and encouragement have made and I thank you all for saving my Camino!!!!!

xxx

Dear all,
Again, I cannot stress enough the difference your help and encouragement have made and I thank you all for saving my Camino!!!!!
xxx
I'm happy that you were able to sort things out so well, and early in your camino. Now that you are more confident, can I ask if you just discovered the forum after you had started, or whether you just didn't believe the constant advice to use poles and travel light?! :D:D:D Please keep us up-to-date as you continue.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I used poles and found that traversing the downhills ie. going from side to side on the path varied the stress on my knees. Its a bit like skiing. Also adding a little bounce on the downhill helps with absorbing the shock to the knees. I hope you find a way to continue. Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I used poles and found that traversing the downhills ie. going from side to side on the path varied the stress on my knees. Its a bit like skiing. Also adding a little bounce on the downhill helps with absorbing the shock to the knees. I hope you find a way to continue. Buen Camino.
Hey Alan, unexpectedly your post is turning into a blog- now we expect a daily update of your journey and tell us and how you are :). Your experience reminds me of my own on the Camino del Norte- started off too enthusiastically- was in real pain in the beginning but then after some rest days was fine again. Just was wondering- what happened to your back pack- are you still carrying the tent? Love sleeping outdoors.. I did sleep outside of the albergue sometimes (paying for a bed space, though) to avoid the snorrers:)- which was quite nice to sleep under the stars! Didnt have a tent but consider bringing one next time. I like the idea of setting up your tent anywhere- even if it is not needed as there are generally enough albergues/ hostels on the CdN. Yet-guess camping in the wild may not be allowed in Spain - not sure? (and perhaps not the best for the local spanish economy..?)-but would love to know more about your experiences. Buen caminoooo !

Hi all,

Hello Alan - the body is an amazing machine and sleep does wonders, however, for me, poles are absolutely necessary. I use them to pull myself up the hills and they take the weight off my knees going down hill. Find some soon!! Have a great walk. I am starting the Norte in 10 days!

I'm happy that you were able to sort things out so well, and early in your camino. Now that you are more confident, can I ask if you just discovered the forum after you had started, or whether you just didn't believe the constant advice to use poles and travel light?! :D:D:D Please keep us up-to-date as you continue.
Haha I discovered it shortly before I left, but I didn't read anything about poles and didn't even think to look into it. Crossed the border into Cantabria today and reached 200km!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello Alan - the body is an amazing machine and sleep does wonders, however, for me, poles are absolutely necessary. I use them to pull myself up the hills and they take the weight off my knees going down hill. Find some soon!! Have a great walk. I am starting the Norte in 10 days!
I guess you are starting today! You're going to have an amazing time. I don't think you will quite catch up to me pero bueno Have an amazing time and if you have any doubts or questions please ask!

Hi all, just a quick update.
I have crossed into Asturias and am currently in a small town called Colunga (strange Spanish name). I have covered 420km which puts me pretty much at the half way point. After the day one I never thought I would get this far, but now I'll be damned if I don't finish it! I still sometimes think what the hell in doing walking across the entirety of a country, but that feeling usually doesn't last.
And yes I am still carrying the tent because I am determined to use it one of these days!! I (more specifically my knees) have got used to the size and weight of my rucksack. I will still consider sending it on if it becomes a problem.
Anyway this was supposed to be short. I hope anyone on the Camino is having a fabulous time. If you're in Asturias let me know and I will try to say hello.

Hi Alan, good to get the update. Your tent carrying sounds much like ours - to my amusement. We only used ours a few times but carried it all the way to Ribadeo before posting it on.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A lot :oops:

Imbalance by only having one.
Not as strong.
Not adjustable in height for uphill, v downhill v flat.
and most importantly
No wrist straps, as they take all the weight.

Not wishing to start another pole or no pole debate sorry.
But a stick is no more a walking pole, than a 'flip flop' (thong, jandal), is a hiking shoe ;)

Getting into dangerous ground Robo , as gaillimh has finished 12 camino's .
It works for him ,
I assume he goes slow as he has done 4 Norte and Primitivo's .
A pole would be fine.

In case anyone is still interested...

I made it to Galicia!! I can't believe this is the final stretch! I'm actually in Baamonde which means only 100km to go! Time has really flown by and walking has become the norm. I've had no problems with my feet, my knee seems to have sorted itself out and, yes, I'm still carrying my tent. I've still not used it (!) but I don't mind carrying it because when I walk across Japan I will need it, so it will be good to get used to carrying the extra weight.

Anyway, only a few days to go. I suppose I should book an albergue in Santiago ahead of time since the whole world will be descending on it at the same time. I'm sad it's almost over...

In case anyone is still interested...

I made it to Galicia!! I can't believe this is the final stretch! I'm actually in Baamonde which means only 100km to go! Time has really flown by and walking has become the norm. I've had no problems with my feet, my knee seems to have sorted itself out and, yes, I'm still carrying my tent. I've still not used it (!) but I don't mind carrying it because when I walk across Japan I will need it, so it will be good to get used to carrying the extra weight.

Anyway, only a few days to go. I suppose I should book an albergue in Santiago ahead of time since the whole world will be descending on it at the same time. I'm sad it's almost over...

Take as long as you can Alan once you join the Conga Line , two days out.
Walk alone with your Norte mob and as Jill said take it all in.
Pick an albergue in the country side .......there is a few believe me over the last 2 days..
You should be very proud considering the troubles at the start.
Clean sheets , good bed and private room in Santiago Alan would be my reward.
Well done/

It's obviously impossible to diagnose at long distance but in my view the weight that you are carrying is just way too much
You're at over 16% of body weight, a common rule of thumb suggests 10%, I think 6-7% is achievable for a summer camino
I walk the Norte with 3kg (including a couple of bars of chocolate) plus liquid
Start leaving behind heavier items until your knees improve - I'm only half joking
And too many painkillers will serve to reduce the immediate pain but at the same time mask the true cause
Hi, wondering how you walked with 3kg. Can you share the packing list? I would like to try that after doing the CF last year with 8kg and getting very painful heels.

Hi, wondering how you walked with 3kg. Can you share the packing list? I would like to try that after doing the CF last year with 8kg and getting very painful heels.

I am also very interested .
Maybe possible in the middle of summer , thats August , with one change of change.
Outside of that NO hope in 100 years.
I think the lady who has lived with me for over 40years and walked the last 8 years has 1kg in her toilet bag:)

I am also very interested .
Maybe possible in the middle of summer , thats August , with one change of change.
Outside of that NO hope in 100 years.
I think the lady who has lived with me for over 40years and walked the last 8 years has 1kg in her toilet bag:)
I have a massive makeup bag at home, but left most home except sunscreen and lip balm. It's possible to go without for a while. I found it very freeing letting go of all that face painting. Good luck.

Hi, wondering how you walked with 3kg. Can you share the packing list?

I seem to recall Spursfan had posted the details somewhere but I can't find it :confused:
From memory, no bedding or towel (not staying in albergue) and MINIMAL clothing.
I manage 5kg and have never missed anything. :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I seem to recall Spursfan had posted the details somewhere but I can't find it :confused:
From memory, no bedding or towel (not staying in albergue) and MINIMAL clothing.
I manage 5kg and have never missed anything. :)

Domigee if my maths are correct that is 40% more than Spursfan.

And if she walked in summer did not stay in albergues and only good class pensions and hotels then 3kg is far too much:confused:
What she carried is called a day pack here.

I have a massive makeup bag at home, but left most home except sunscreen and lip balm. It's possible to go without for a while. I found it very freeing letting go of all that face painting. Good luck.

Lisa , i write and laugh as my wife yells out the following,
Tell Lisa she is still young , at 69 she will need the following in her car;
The bag itself is FIB made [ lets say .300gr] then mate here we go;
Bandages , scissors , nail clippers , paw paw cream [ good for anything but contraception] tea tree oil , tweezers, lip stick, tissues, sunscreen, deodorant , soap , moisturiser , vaseline , toothpaste and brush , face washer , brush and comb and cotton buds .
HRH has assured me all have been used for her comfort or on myself and others pilgrims when in need.
I can remember Le Puy being a " wounded " camino for many.
:) She has added for your laughter dental floss and Mascara in case i stop at the Paradors or equivalent which is becoming frequent as we ride into the sunset. .

Enjoy the Camino, keep walking at YOUR pace , and when the time comes in later years take the grandkids on the camino and use all of the above :cool:

Last edited:

I walk during May or September and stay mainly in hotels but use albergues occasionally - having fewer items is probably my main theme although I pretty much choose the lightest available - and no electronics

Gregory miwok 12L (c 600g) but well built and has moisture-wicking harness

Walking shorts, Underpants (2 pairs), Merino tshirt, tech tshirt, Merrell trail glove shoes (400g the pair), barefoot socks (4 pairs), rain jacket (100g or 250g if goretex paclite), lowe alpine "french foreign legion" hat, buff, light gloves

Silk sleeping bag liner (140g), waterproof bag for clothes, guidebooks, compeed,dressing strip, pocket razor, vaseline, sun cream, nail clippers, ear plugs, pins, comb, spare battery for watch, toothpaste, toothbrush

Volume to fit in my pack is more of an issue than weight - but I carry lots of liquid - up to maximum 4.2L (1.5L bottles x2 inside pack and 0.5L x2 on outside of pack)

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back