• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Duo Lingo or Something Else?

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
OK, I really need to get serious about improving my Spanish!

The trouble is..........I can 'get by'.
And that's a lazy level to be at.
I can book accomodation on the phone, order meals and that kind of stuff.

But conversations?
That's really hard and very limited.
I met some amazing people on my last Camino out in the countryside.
And answering their questions, I could manage where I'm from, where I started, how old I am etc.
But that was it really.

I have found Duo Lingo quite useful.
And I like the structure of it.
But..........

It seems to be South American Spanish!

Is that a big deal?
Or is there a better app out there to use?

Help......... :rolleyes:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I had problems with conversation because I had to translate to English what the person said to me. Then I would have to translate my answer into Spanish. But after watching hundreds of hours of videos from DreamingSpanish I can often think in Spanish. It really helped with conversation. I think it costs $7 a month US but many videos are free.

Then I added Baselang for 3 months before going to Spain. Unlimited conversations one on one but much more expensive. They got me talking. I now need to work on expanding my vocabulary by reading every day. I like to chat and really wanted to be able to do that while in Spain. I was happy with my conversations this past spring but I still working on improving.

I have tried courses but was too shy and uncomfortable to talk in front of so many people. So one on one online worked well for me.

But?

Is using Duo Lingo a big deal?
Because it's South American Spanish..........

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Is that a big deal?
We all have very different learning styles, so as usual, there is no right answer. Here is my personal opinion...

I do not think that it matters much whether you are learning South American or Spanish Spanish, at least at your level and with that sort of app. If people speak standard Spanish fairly slowly, the differences are minimal. Of course they rarely speak that way, but let's face it - a sensible goal for you is to get a reasonable knowledge of standard Spanish. That will open the doors to communication.

I learned Spanish in South America as a young adult, and never found that to be a significant issue.

I say simply to find an app or course that you enjoy.

@CdnDreamer's post reminds me about "vosotros", which is used in Spain but not South America. As long as you recognize it when a Spaniard uses it, you are fine. You can easily get away without learning to use those verb endings yourself. (I am just finally learning them a bit now, when I feel ambitious.) How often will it be necessary for you to speak of plural "you" as distinct from singular "you" in a conversation? Better to keep things simple.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My early issue was recognizing when people used vosotros and the verbos. I can always speak, but understanding is more difficult.

I try to read a Spanish newspaper each day. It helps to know what is going on and if I read it first in English on another app that helps. I watch Euro News in Spanish for a bit each day.

I have taken in person and online Spanish lessons, but when pressed working as a hospitalera is what has helped me the most. I have to be able to speak and understand. I am certainly not perfect, but I understand and can make myself understood. Handing off the albergue or accepting it can be the most challenging.

Thinking about how to say something another way if I don't know the exact words is the most critical. I have been happy that the last few handoffs that the non-English hospitalero has told me they understand me with no issues.

Really, I think it just takes an intense effort with immersion to learn to speak and understand once you are past puberty. I learned German as a child and it is much easier (and was easier in college, ) which is why I didn't take Spanish until I was in in my 50's.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
G'Day Robo - I totally understand your situation. I too tried to learn Spanish via Duo Lingo and one other versions and you are right it does appear to have a Mexican/Sth American focus (probably for US citizens).
I did research for a version that was Castilian (central Spain - Madrid) focused but that was more than a few years ago so no real up to date info. I even tried my local community college and that teacher was from Colombia, so again no real help. Cheers

I started Spanish in Granada with 4 week intensives in 2008 and 2009. This gave me roughly intermediate Spanish.

I now amuse myself with DuoLingo, which is Latin American Spanish. There are differences but nothing insurmountable and it is free.

I would hesitate learning Brazilian Portuguese on Duo because friends from Brazil have told me that they have difficulty understanding people from Portugal.

I have difficulty understanding people from Glasgow.

I started Spanish in Granada with 4 week intensives in 2008 and 2009. This gave me roughly intermediate Spanish.

I now amuse myself with DuoLingo, which is Latin American Spanish. There are differences but nothing insurmountable and it is free.

I would hesitate learning Brazilian Portuguese on Duo because friends from Brazil have told me that they have difficulty understanding people from Portugal.

I have difficulty understanding people from Glasgow.
I was in a boarding school dorm full of boys from Glasgow.
At first I couldn't undertand a word.
Now I'm fluent ;)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@Robo. Take a look at Language Transfer. 😎
Hi Robo!
I second Pelerina in her comment about Language Transfer it's an app and on the web. (It's free but i have made a couple of donations through his Patrion link; my thinking is efforts needed recognition)
Very easy to use just listen give it a go never found anything else that suits my ageing brain :)!
Mihalis is a one man band; but this course i think is pretty special.
You get results pretty quick and if you follow his rules to find the root of a word you have the means of acquiring a lot more!
webpage here

The app is available for mobiles
Good luck with the search
Buen Camino
Woody

I've also used Language Transfer and recommend it. When I got to about lesson fifty I had to go back half a dozen coz I was getting lost. But that's fine. Same thing happened a few lesson later!!
I have also used Unlimited Spanish which follows a great format of story/questions/answer - even when you don't fully understand you find yourself answering in Spanish! It's a miracle. Then he repeats the story in a couple of different tenses or from a different person. Really handy to get a feel for verb endings etc, especially if you have encountered them in Language Transfer. I listen to each lesson a number of times and get better at answering every time. There's a transcript too.
Espanol with Juan is a podcast I enjoy - boy does he have the gift of the gab!! He just talks nonstop for twenty minutes or so about his given topic. What I like is that he is totally natural and speaks at a normal-ish speed. It is not "perfect sentences" so you get used to picking out repeated words and when he changes tack in the middle of an idea. I especially loved his piece on tortilla de patatas.
(Full disclosure: I'm not a Duolingo fan, it's just so artificial.....which is perhaps an unfair criticism when Unlimited Spanish has talking penguins and cats that write letters

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
And to add to @woody66 comment, I find the approach of the Language Transfer app easy to follow - and encouraging. 😎

It offers a number of languages but, for now, Spanish is the most comprehensive, with 90 short lessons.

I think you would find it a useful adjunct to the class you’ve enrolled in and any other reading and listening activities. I usually listen - in my case French - while I’m out for a walk. All the best.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The real question to ask re: DuoLingo is not whether the version of Spanish is appropriate (as others have said, European Spanish would obviously be better but it’s not a major issue), but whether DuoLingo actually works.

Or in response to the title of the other thread just referenced, a better question than ‘Which app should I use for Spanish?’ is ‘How can I improve my Spanish (with or without an app)?’ Basically, the main language apps are gimmicky and use gamification to get you hooked on the app, but their effectiveness in teaching the language is very much in question. Personally, I don’t use any of them.

Language transfer is different from the game-y apps. I have recently started using it for the first time as an introduction to Turkish and have found it quite good so far at teaching some of the building blocks of the language to a complete beginner. But I only have limited experience with it.

Essentially, the thing I came here to say is that learning a foreign language to a high (or even decent) level is a long road and 5-10 minutes a day on DuoLingo (or similar) won’t get you that far. Pretty much all well-known polyglots say that the most important thing in language learning (besides motivation) is comprehensible input. Below I quote a post of mine from another thread where I discuss this a bit and explain some of my language learning philosophies.

Let me respond from the point of view of someone who is currently (but not always) highly motivated in language learning, and who is married to a fanatical language learner (@Wendy Werneth).

A word @Arctic_Alex used three times in the OP is motivation, and this is of course the key to everything. People often say about Wendy something like, 'She is so motivated to learn languages.' And she is.

But let's say you have a friend who likes watching movies. Perhaps every week they go to the cinema 1-2 times and watch several more movies at home. Would anyone say that they are 'motivated' to watch movies? No. And why not? Because in our minds, we categorise watching movies (or sports, or other such activities) as something that is inherently fun, while language learning is categorised as study, something that is not fun and therefore that requires motivation (the generally poor level of instruction in foreign languages at school is a large contributing factor in this, but that's a conversation for another day).

So the short answer is this: make language learning fun.

I asked Wendy to reply to this thread and she declined because she essentially does not understand not being motivated in language learning. It's inherently fun for her so she doesn't need to motivate herself, just like the person who likes watching movies doesn't need to be motivated to watch a new movie.

Making language learning fun is easier said than done, of course, and even more so at a beginner level when you can't access a lot of great material. But the key to it is essentially this: do what you like doing in your native language in your target language, and then it will be fun for you.

We are understandably focused on speaking in language learning. And of course, speaking well tends to be the end goal, and for good reason. But in your own language, you do far more input than output. And that's the second key: input (that is, listening/watching and reading). Input is how you unlock output in a foreign language -- i.e. it's how you learned your native language as a child. And, if you consume the right content for you, it can be fun simply to consume it, so that the learning happens naturally as a byproduct.

For example, I listen to history podcasts (e.g. Hardcore History, The History of Rome etc) for fun in English; therefore, it makes sense if my level is high enough that I would do the same in Italian, which is my current focus language (e.g. Storia d'Italia).

As a second example, I have always enjoyed reading fantasy-type books in English as a child and as an adult (e.g. Narnia, Tolkien's books, Harry Potter etc). So I am doing the same in Italian. In the last three months I have read 8.5 books written by the Italian adolescent fantasy author Licia Troisi. I read them in LingQ which is (among other things) essentially a tool to help you to read in a foreign language. I have read about 30 books by the Spanish adolescent fantasy author Laura Gallego in the last 12 years. Reading her most famous trilogy (Memórias de Idhún) was literally the biggest factor in allowing me to take the next step in Spanish. Reading is magic, as Wendy says.

These are just examples of the kinds of things you can do, according to your own interests. If you like music, listen to music in your target language. If you like soap operas, watch soap operas in your target language. Use tools like LingQ (and I'm sure there are others) to import books or content from YouTube or Netflix or wherever to assist with things like transcriptions/subtitles to allow for greater understanding. This content would ideally but not necessarily be aimed at native speakers, including at children for beginner learners.

The two themes I hear again and again when polyglots speak about their language learning success are to listen/read extensively, and to do it every day. Consuming content that you're interested in motivates you and gives you the grounding in the language that you need in order to be able to speak well.

In today's connected world, there is an enormous amount of content available to consume for major languages (including Spanish, obviously, as that's likely to be our focus here -- Notes in Spanish is one good example at multiple levels). The excuse of not being in the country where the language is spoken is, these days, just that.

I live in Portugal but with my current language focus, I am exposed to far, far more Italian than Portuguese on a daily basis, because I am choosing to surround myself with Italian through listening, reading and iTalki conversations. For example, I just watched a 25-minute video on Dante before writing this post, and when I finish this post I'm going to read the transcript of the video to enhance my understanding of what I watched and to pick up some new language along the way (listening and having access to the transcript is gold). I once took a course in English on Dante for fun, so watching this video in Italian was also fun.

In a nutshell: figure out how to consume lots of content in your target language in a way that is fun for you. That's when you reach the secret Wendy level where language learning is fun, motivation is inbuilt and when you wake up each morning you can't wait to get started on it.

I hope this helps.

P.S. Apps like duolingo have realised they can making language learning fun through gamification, but they are not actually very effective by themselves.

Thank you for reposting @jungleboy. Excellent explanation and advice. And thank you for introducing me to LingQ some time ago. Language learning does not come easily to me. I am using LingQ and a variety of other resources, inc Language Transfer, with the aim of passing the DELF exam at the end of the year so I can apply for French (dual) citizenship by marriage 🤞🤞🤞 Listening and reading, listening and reading, listening and reading …. 😎

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I did give Duolingo a go but found it annoying - computer pats on the back and so on.

I have 'tried' over a couple of decades to learn Spanish and have always failed and I now know why.

1. It is the second fastest language in the world (after Japanese) so difficult to separate spoken words.
2. I am too old to go and live in Spain in a romantic cottage in a Spanish only area with a Spanish girlfriend.
3. I can't be bothered.

3 is pretty important as had I really wanted to learn I would have done it by now - I have no problem with French, just cannot 'hear' Spanish.

I tried the Paul Noble audio method - where you do not remember anything, just build up brain connections by using it and did fine until disc two when they speeded up a bit and I just had no idea whatsoever what was being said, to me just a string of sounds.

I probably will stick with English, French, and a few German words and, as an Englishman, shout when I am not understood 😂

I am intrigued by Language Transfer now due to earlier posts!

Last edited:
Unsurprisingly, I second what @jungleboy said about the importance of comprehensible input. The next question is, where to get that input?

Since I have been able to understand native-level material in Spanish for many years now, I don't have first-hand recommendations for lower-level materials that you could use as comprehensible input, but I have heard very good things about Dreaming Spanish, which @CdnDreamer mentioned above.

There's also a YouTube channel called Linguriosa run by a Spaniard, which will help you get used to the Spanish accent. She speaks at normal pace, which I imagine will be too advanced for you at your current level, BUT her videos are subtitled in both Spanish and English, so by toggling between these as needed you can make even native-level materials comprehensible to you. The important thing is just to understand the gist of what's being said, without getting bogged down in memorizing conjugation tables or other grammar rules. With lots of repetition, you will gradually understand more and more, and your brain will figure out the structure of the language on its own.

But yeah, learning a language to a conversational level is a long game and takes hundreds if not thousands of hours. I wouldn't say Duolingo is a complete waste of time, but it's definitely not the most effective way to learn. Much better to consume content (videos, podcasts, short stories, etc.) that you actually enjoy and let the learning happen naturally.

P.S. For Robo, good luck on your Spanish journey! Signing up for a class and using web materials outside of the game-y apps are great steps to take! 👏

Two more things, regarding Latin American / Colombian Spanish:

- As others have said upthread, one of the main differences between EU and LA Spanish is that in most Latin American countries, there is only one plural subject for you (ustedes) whereas in Spain ustedes is the formal version and the more common informal version is vosotros (or vosotras if speaking to an group exclusively made up of females), which conjugates differently. You're not going to be misunderstood if you use ustedes in Spain, but you might as well learn vosotros because you're going to come across it there.

- In Colombia, spoken Spanish has evolved to a point where for the 'you singular' subject, the formal usted is now used more informally (similar to você in Brazilian Portuguese), rather than , and the two conjugate differently. In Spain, unless you're speaking to an elder or to someone of high distinction, you would generally use . Again, it's not going to cause misunderstandings, but just something to be aware of if you find that your teacher is using usted a lot.

And finally, two pronunciation tips, if I may: ;)

Meseta
Francés

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There is a language program out there called " Pimsleur " . It's a series of CD's and is taught using conversations. I've borrowed the sets from libraries and have also purchased Spanish, French, Italian and Portuguese on eBay...very inexpensively. I used duo lingo for basic word skills/recognition and Pimsleur for conversation. I enrolled in classes twice that were not at all useful. One was a zoom course and the facilitator could not keep control of the others in the class...pure chaos. The second one with fewer enrolled in an actual classroom decided to cancel after two classes because of low attendance.

I also honed my skills in smiling and pantomime ...lol

Hi Robo,
a quick disclaimer first - af all the apps mentioned, I am only familiar with Duolingo, so I can not compare it to the others.
Yes, Duolingo has it's shortcomings, and might not be the "best" for learning Spanish, or any other language. But it makes keeping the habit of studying very simple - if you leave them on, it sends you notifications daily, and the quick lessons take only two or three minutes each. You can do a lesson or two while waiting for the bus, on your commute, or any other bit o free time you happen to have in your daily life. I sometimes do one on my smoke breaks at work. I would not do that bit of studying if it took fifteen minutes, or I had to do it on my computer. Even if you learn just a new word or two, or a phrase, these add up rather quickly.
I learnt just a few months on Duolingo before my first camino, and while it led to some pretty funny situations, I managed ok (even including a phonecall or two). After that, I started a proper Spanish course, so on my next camino I hope I'll be aple to have more advanced conversations with the people I meet. And still, along my proper lessons, I do a Duolingo lesson or two every day.
To sum it up - it might not be the best, but it's really convenient and makes sticking to the habit very easy.
Michal

My early issue was recognizing when people used vosotros and the verbos. I can always speak, but understanding is more difficult.

I try to read a Spanish newspaper each day. It helps to know what is going on and if I read it first in English on another app that helps. I watch Euro News in Spanish for a bit each day.

I have taken in person and online Spanish lessons, but when pressed working as a hospitalera is what has helped me the most. I have to be able to speak and understand. I am certainly not perfect, but I understand and can make myself understood. Handing off the albergue or accepting it can be the most challenging.

Thinking about how to say something another way if I don't know the exact words is the most critical. I have been happy that the last few handoffs that the non-English hospitalero has told me they understand me with no issues.

Really, I think it just takes an intense effort with immersion to learn to speak and understand once you are past puberty. I learned German as a child and it is much easier (and was easier in college, ) which is why I didn't take Spanish until I was in in my 50's.
I will be hospitalera in Ponferrada and hope I am teamed with a fluent Spanish speaker! My French and modern Greek ( useless here) are fluent but my Spanish is pretty basic. I found Babbel more challenging that Duolingo.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
1301 days on Duolingo, picked it up again during pandemic. Not that I can speak Spanish now, but this time round it was so much easier for me to order food and made simple conversation. There were times, the bartender corrected my mistakes 😅, there were times, they praised me. I can tell they really appreciate our efforts. So go with whichever methods that suits you, but learning a language is something you have to keep at it, that Duolingo streak do just that haha

But conversations?
And answering their questions, I could manage where I'm from, where I started, how old I am etc.
But that was it really.

But..........

Is that a big deal?

Gotta be honest here. The right answer is to back to your childhood and learn a foreign language. Just like the advice of the pro to a golfer starting to play at age 60. Go back and learn at an earlier age.

Linguistic specialists say that it's best to learn a foreign language before age 12. And after 32, your brain can no longer absorb. It must reason every word, every phrase, every sentence in the language you know.

With this in mind, I spent many hours before my first camino not only doing online courses like Mango and Duolingo, finding a bilingual speaker to work with, but also watching TV and movies in Spanish, skipping English language programs completely. . At my age, the only answer was near total immersion. It worked. My first evening in SJPdP I was seated at our communal dinner across from a Spaniard from Valencia. While I admit it was exhausting, I was elated that I could keep up a conversation for an hour or so.

Bottom line: There is no short cut when one is older. One has to immerse to the point that the brain no longer fights it but finally gives in. It's very similar, in my view, to walking a long day on the camino. Your brain keeps telling you "Why are you doing this? You're crazy. Stop!" But with one foot in front of the other, the brain finally gives in and instead of fighting with you, convinces you (and itself) that there is a beer or some pintxos waiting for you. I've always thought how fascinating it is that we have what seems like another creature inside of us: our brain.

P.S. I killed myself last year trying to learn French before walking the Podiensis. Hopeless. And on my first day, a local said I should stick to a few expressions but otherwise speak English slowly. He chuckled when he said my accent was so bad that it was punishment to the ears of native speakers. I got the point. And we had no problems, but...there were no conversations with locals or pelerin who did not speak English.

Can I mention News In Slow Spanish.
https://www.newsinslowspanish.com/
I've been studying Spanish for a number of years and this is the best App I've found. by a country mile.
You can choose between "Spanish (Spain)" which is Castillian and "Spanish (Latino)" which is South American.
You can then choose Beginner, Intemediate or Advanced Level.
Each week you get a selection of current news stories, written and narrated, which in my opinion are so much more enjoyable and informative than a podcast where non-natives talk about their holiday in Bogata.
You can download the weekly episode on to your iPhone (other brands are available), follow the text as you listen and press on vocabulary for a translation.
The bad news is that you have to pay for it and it isn't cheap.
The good news is that I run a study group and all members of the group get a very big discount which makes it very affordable. By chance I am about to renew the annual subscription which will run from 1st March. Take a look at the website and if you are interested send me a private message.

Before the moderators strike down this post can I say quite clearly that I receive no commission or payment from the company or from the members of the study group. I do it because the size of the group means we all get a great discount (including me).

€149,-
Duolingo has its merits but it will only take you so far. It can be frustrating (I find it frustrating after a while, anyway) and it's not the best to improve your conversational skills. As an experiment, I've grossly mispronounced whole sentences on purpose, just to check if Duolingo would approve and move on to the next exercise or if it would make me repeat... it always tells me I'm doing great! 🤦🏻‍♀️
I haven't tried Language Transfer or Pimsleur, so I can't comment on those.
I have several resources on my website that you may find useful, including a Camino-themed podcast for Spanish learners.

I found using LingQ and Duolingo (both paid for apps) to be a good mix I also spend 12 months having an in person Zoom lesson (paid for, £12.50 an hour, 2 others in the class), my teacher who is also my friend is a great teacher and fluent in Spanish, Portuguese and French, pretty good at Norwegian and also teaches English as a foreign language and has lived in Sevila, Mexico, Madeira and Lisbon. To me it has been money well spent, especially with an online teacher as they can give you language pointers that you'd only find out by living in a country.

Estudio Español agora para 1,768 dias. I have about a year left to finish off the course. Obviously, I’m enjoying it…and 14 other languages…including Latin and Esperanto.

Saludos, Robo!

I am a native Spanish speaker (Puerto Rican), and first of all, it’s very commendable that you want to improve your Spanish, we Hispanics tend to appreciate that a lot. I am more familiar with the Latin American version, but us PR’s have the added issue of our Spanish being intermingled with English because we are a US territory, so we wind up speaking Spanglish, sometimes to the amusement or consternation of our Latino cousins. There’s even an Instagram account called “Dialecto Boricua” which discusss so many different local PR expressions (Boricua is what we call ourselves).

I personally consider Colombian the most beautiful, pure, correct Latin American Spanish, but that’s just my opinion.

I grew up studying standard Spanish literature, grammar, reading novels, essays, plus TV (my mother’s telenovelas and movies from various Latin American and Spain), so I was exposed to many variations in not just pronunciations (we dont’ bother with the “th” sound, for example, we actually resemble the Andalusia aspirated “s” that sounds like an “h”), For example, “las dos de la tarde” (two o’clock in the afternoon” is pronounced as written in many places, but we would say “lah doh de la tarde”, but it is still understandable. I can understand perfectly standard Spanish from anywhere, although they may use different terms I’m not always familiar with. Even within Spain (I visited in 2009), I noticed that the signs for “Bathroom” in Barcelona and Madrid read “Aseo” while in Malaga and Seville it was “Baños” which was the version I was familiar with. Keep in mind that many Latin American countries also incorporated local indigenous words, for example “tecolote” is a Mexican/Nahuatl (I think) term that was unknown to me until I visited New Mexico and I learned it’s an owl (the word I use for owl is “buho”). Do you know that the word “hurricane” comes from the Taino Indian “Juracán” (the J sounds like the English H)?

There are staggering variations in the slang of different countries, a word that could be perfectly fine in one country could be horribly inappropriate or obscene in another. This can lead to awkward and/or hilarious moments, but we just have to navigate through those, a good sense of humor will help, and you will be forgiven because with your English accent, it is obvious that Spanish is not your language and people will tend to be supportive. The different accents are another thing altogether. Mexicans, Cubans, Argentinians, Spaniards, etc, have very different accents, which makes it more challenging, but also a lot of fun.

I learned excellent English grammar and literature in school, but with a very strong Hispanic accent. When I moved to the mainland US, it was a steep learning curve as we are used to pure vowel sounds, only 5 of them, and for the longest time I couldn’t’ distinguish long vs short vowels (I still cant’ pronounce them correctly at times, for example, I would pronounce “sheet” and “shit” exactly the same, it took a lot of coaching to avoid making that mistake. So, it goes both ways. Studying a language in a classroom or an app is very different from actually living in it, but studying English has helped me tremendously so I’m very fluent.

As I’m sure you know, American, British, Australian English have their own idiosyncrasies, so for as much English as I know, I know it will be a bit of a challenge if I visit the UK or Australia. Even within the US (I’m sure this happens in other English speaking countries) there are significant variations between regions.

Sorry I can’t really answer the question about which app or method is the best, but you have to start somewhere, and you will be fine. I myself I’m trying to learn some Portuguese, but I’m more familiar with the Brazilian version. When I do my Camino (I’m planning for August this year), I hope to meet Portuguese speakers from either country and see how I do. I’m sure you’ll do just fine, no matter how you go about to do it. It’s like walking your own linguistic Camino, you do it your own way, learning lessons along the way.

Kudos to you, sir, for embarking in this linguistic journey. Spanish is a very rich language, full of beauty and emotion, and it will open the doors for new experiences.

Un saludo y un abrazo fraternal, mi amigo!

But conversations?
But that was it really.

But..........

Is that a big deal?

Hola Robo

Duolingo is fine IMO. But used supplementally with other courses. It helps keep you using and thinking in Spanish daily. However, using it alone will not get you too far. So just keep that in mind. I personally recommend hiring a tutor on Preply for one or two weekly sessions. Also Spanish with Paul on youtube, as well as his pay course also helps! Back to Duolingo, the podcast is great too and you will be exposed to Spanish from all over the globe!

The biggest piece of the Spanish puzzle really is comprehension, as you may have noticed. Speaking it might actually be the easy part, but understanding the reply is another story, right? For that I recommend "Hola Spanish" on youtube! She offers a bunch of freebies and printouts. She will tell a story a few times and in between each time you will be quizzed on what you understood. Gradually, exposing yourself to Spanish in this way daily will get you where you want to be! Learning Spanish should be fun and not necessarily rushed if it's not for a degree, so go easy on yourself and relax into it! Ohhh, and I see someone already mentioned Transfer Language, that is another great supplemental app!

Hope this helps and Buen Camino mi amigo!

PS. learning Latin American or Castellano is fine. It's much like British or The Queens (King now?) English versus American English...both will be understood anywhere in the English speaking world!

The formal form of you comes from the use of the third person thus the use of es and son. Latin American Spanish doesn't use the informal form of you as much as in Spain and hardly, if ever, the plural informal.

In Spain you might say to a couple that you address separately with tu "Ustedes son amables" in the Latin American Spanish you learn. They could return the compliment to you and Pat with "Vosotros sois amables también." They will understand your Latin American Spanish but the informal forms of the verbs they use might confuse you.
For some good news, I've read that Columbian Spanish is good for an introduction to the language due to clarity, speed and accent.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

But conversations?
But that was it really.

But..........

Is that a big deal?

Firstly, asking if learning South American Spanish is a big deal, is a bit like asking if learning American English is a big deal. Spanish is Spanish, just like English is English. Obviously, there will be differences in accent and some pronunciation, there might also be slightly different uses of some grammar and idioms and colloquialisms will vary. Nonetheless, the language structure and the vast majority of the vocabulary is the same. If you can speak clearly and accurately, then you will be understood in any Spanish speaking country, regardless of you having a different accent or the odd turn of phrase that people might not be familiar with. The context is usually what enables the listener to work it out, if not then they might ask for a bit of clarification.

Having studied Spanish to advanced level, I then went to live and work in Spain- that was in 2005. I've been living in Madrid for over 10 years, as I moved back to the UK between 2011 and 2017, then came back to Madrid. To "get serious" about learning a language might not always be the best approach. I teach English in Spain, and so I can see learners' experiences as well as relating to my own.

I never had apps when I studied Spanish and most of my Spanish students don't use them to learn English. That's not to say they can't be part of a range of tools used for learning a language. However, the 3 key factors in learning a language are: 1) there has to be a strong motive, an unshakeable motive. 2) it has to be relevant to the learner's language needs - this also means being interesting and enjoyable. 3) you have to use the language regularly - in all 4 skill areas: listening, speaking, writing & reading.

So the next question is how to do those things. This may involve a variety of learning methods, but the most difficult skills to develop will be speaking and listening skills. Therefore, be prepared to put more time into these, which will be difficult at first and will be challenging for a long time, so stick at it, don't give up, be patient and persistent.

Try to give yourself a more clear target. For example, I started by doing an evening class to study GCSE Spanish (in the UK), which would be from level A1 to A2. I then did GCSE A level, which took me to about a B2 level. There are different references used for language levels, you could say they are broadly grouped as: basic/beginner, lower intermediate, upper intermediate, advanced and proficiency. To become comfortable at communicating in a second language, one needs to aim for advanced level and be prepared to put in all the hours of practice it takes.

Short cuts don't exist and learn in 3 months schemes can be a con. Immersion in the target language can help boost learning, but it's regular and persistent use of the language that will get you to your target.

If there aren't classes easily available where you live, then there are some very good resources on YouTube that can help provide daily content, but that needs to be coupled with other activities. See if you have a Spanish meet up group in your area and join them. Find Spanish speakers where you live and have chats with them over coffee for example. These are just examples. I've met people in Spain that learnt Spanish just from watching soap operas on TV or Netflix series, but they were also living and working in Spain so they put the language to use for many hours every day.

I hope this helps you to find out what works for you.

Kind regards,
Mark

Last edited:

But conversations?
But that was it really.

But..........

Is that a big deal?

I went right through the complete Duolingo Spanish tree and it didn't seem to help much. I seem to have had the most success with the "comprehensible input" methodology espoused by Dreaming Spanish.

I started following Dreaming Spanish at what I would consider lower intermediate level, watching their videos and later, when I got to the point I didn't need visuals, just downloading the audio and listening to it during walks, etc. Later on I supplemented by listening to Español con Juan, Qué Pasa, and Se Habla Español podcasts. I have now got to the point where I can listen to podcasts or watch video by native Spanish speakers for native Spanish speakers when I have some familiarity with the subject (e.g Linguriosa videos, or the El Camino People Spanish interviews) and follow them with 95%+ comprehension.

Unsurprisingly, I second what @jungleboy said about the importance of comprehensible input. The next question is, where to get that input?

Since I have been able to understand native-level material in Spanish for many years now, I don't have first-hand recommendations for lower-level materials that you could use as comprehensible input, but I have heard very good things about Dreaming Spanish, which @CdnDreamer mentioned above.

There's also a YouTube channel called Linguriosa run by a Spaniard, which will help you get used to the Spanish accent. She speaks at normal pace, which I imagine will be too advanced for you at your current level,
As I said in my post above, I also found Dreaming Spanish effective. It took me from lower intermediate to the point where Linguriosa's videos are comprehensible, so I consider that a success story. :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
But conversations?

Book a private (online) tutor once a week for an hour. Apps a great for memory based learning but not situational conversations.

My tutor selects a topic (usually Camino related like food) for the next week and provides a vocab list and homework. We then talk about that topic (often role playing like waiter / customer) for an hour. This method helped me so much in actually speaking Spanish.

Alternatively you can try finding a language buddy on Tandem (app) where you can exchange your English for someone’s native Spanish. Not as structured or regular as a paid tutor but still a good way to talk to „real people“.

I had problems with conversation because I had to translate to English what the person said to me. Then I would have to translate my answer into Spanish. But after watching hundreds of hours of videos from DreamingSpanish I can often think in Spanish. It really helped with conversation. I think it costs $7 a month US but many videos are free.

Then I added Baselang for 3 months before going to Spain. Unlimited conversations one on one but much more expensive. They got me talking. I now need to work on expanding my vocabulary by reading every day. I like to chat and really wanted to be able to do that while in Spain. I was happy with my conversations this past spring but I still working on improving.

I have tried courses but was too shy and uncomfortable to talk in front of so many people. So one on one online worked well for me.
I too am using Baselang. If $6 (USD) per day is doable, then you should give Baselang a try. Unlimited lessons per month; currently, I am able to manage 90 minutes daily. The tutors/teachers are both very friendly and helpful. The school has developed a curricula (A1 thru at least B2) that you will have full access too. Most importantly is the daily conversation between you and your tutor/teachers. Not only have my listening and speaking skills greatly improved but my confidence has too.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Robo, IMHO it doesn't matter if your studying Latin American or Castilian, you will be understand EVERYWHERE along the Camino and throughout Spain. Carro vs coche - not one will care. Ustedes vs vosotros - no big deal.
For the past 6 years I've enjoyed a variety of self-study courses (Duolingo, etc.) and have also been able to attend DELIGHTFUL two week immersion programs in Madrid, Seville, Salamanca and Valenica. But, my newest undertaking, Baselang, is really starting to move me along towards being a more confident Spanish speaker. Nearly one hour of conversation and tutoring per day (and, there is NO limit) for the price of a pint - OK I am a bit of a beer buff and I don't drink the cheap stuff.
I believe that they offer a one-week trial so give it a try.
Craig

I used Duolingo for a few months. At casa Fernanda I talked in Spanish with a spanish pilgrim who could (or would?) only speak spanish. We understood eachother! The main thing is not to be afraid to make mistakes. In may I will continue the via francigena, so now I am brushing up my French with Duolingo😀

I am now booked in. The class is 1 km from home!!
Hopefully I can stick with it and just progress through the levels on offer.
Good for you, Robo! I recall you presented this issue before, and I told you not to mind if the Spanish was from either Spain or Latin America.

I’m from the Caribbean and our accent is different from those of Central and South America. All the countries have their local idioms that may prevent some understandings, but once you know them; the communication is smooth.

My recommendations are that you get more involved into the dialogue than into the grammar. Let the teacher evaluate you and that you let him/her know of your ultimate language needs. You will soon understand what C Clearly mentioned on her reply and what I’m telling you.

Spanish is the same in Spain and Latin America; the same happens with the English language. Each country has its own peculiarities when pronouncing certain words.

Have a great time in your learning the Spanish language.

Iván

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
But?

Is using Duo Lingo a big deal?
Because it's South American Spanish..........
I have used Duo faithfully for 778 days and I can say it works. When I did the Primitivo in Sept 2022 (9 months in to Duo) I started EVERY conversation with “Estudio español en Duolingo y me gusta practicar”. After the first phrase (estudio in Duolingo” they would start to smile (or laugh) but after the end of the sentence they would almost invariably start speaking Spanish, slowly.

The next year (Sept 23) I returned and found myself having several trail conversations that I would not have had without the (still limited) Spanish.

MY FAVOURITE story is this: I stated to talk with one guy in Spanish, but he waved me off. I continued, giving my “estudio español en Duolingo” speech. He started to smile and said “I’m studying English on Duolingo”. We walked the next couple of hours of great conversation- me in Spanish and him in English.

After 2 years of Duo Spanish here’s how I rate myself. If there are a group of Spanish speakers talking at a table, I have NO IDEA what they are saying. BUT I can walk up and begin a conversation.

One more fun thing - this year I was interview on Villa Palatina Spanish podcast. If you want to see how it went I start at the 43 minute mark of this video / https://www.facebook.com/share/v/ZxQikePRHnUTmeXQ/?mibextid=WC7FNe

Hola Robo, as a Mexican I can tell you that with Spanish spoken un Latin America, you will have no trouble communicating in Spain. Saludos and Buen Camino
Well, I’m level B1 in Spanish, but I still had difficulty at first with ceceo. But I got used to it after a little while. There are websites where you can get conversation practice (no charge). I don’t remember links, but if you check a blog https://fi3m.com you’ll probably find links to those and many other resources, many of them free.

I use Preply for my French. It is with a real native speaking tutor, she is retired French teacher, wonderful and we communicate in English. I found her on the Preply platform, where you can learn many many languages. I even got myself a book and a workbook. Have a look, first lesson is for free and then you decide whether you want to continue or not. But it is a real deal, if you are commited. Duolingo i use only on everyday basis just to keep in touch with the language.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

But conversations?
But that was it really.

But..........

Is that a big deal?

I was at a similar level to you before I did get more serious about Spanish. I did Duolingo and found it very helpful. For a couple of months before I left I added Preply to get in more speaking. My tutor was Raquel Lorente on Preply. I highly recommend her. She is Spanish from Andalucía, but for teaching she uses a more typical Spanish accent. The addition of speaking with Raquel in a structured way helped tremendously. Spaniards said my Spanish was good while we were walking and I was able to converse.

Preply isn’t inexpensive, but I only did one hour per week and it was worth it.
I’m in Arizona now and get a lot of opportunities to speak. I can tell my Spanish speaking is so much better!

Gotta be honest here. The right answer is to back to your childhood and learn a foreign language. Just like the advice of the pro to a golfer starting to play at age 60. Go back and learn at an earlier age.

Linguistic specialists say that it's best to learn a foreign language before age 12. And after 32, your brain can no longer absorb. It must reason every word, every phrase, every sentence in the language you know.

With this in mind, I spent many hours before my first camino not only doing online courses like Mango and Duolingo, finding a bilingual speaker to work with, but also watching TV and movies in Spanish, skipping English language programs completely. . At my age, the only answer was near total immersion. It worked. My first evening in SJPdP I was seated at our communal dinner across from a Spaniard from Valencia. While I admit it was exhausting, I was elated that I could keep up a conversation for an hour or so.

Bottom line: There is no short cut when one is older. One has to immerse to the point that the brain no longer fights it but finally gives in. It's very similar, in my view, to walking a long day on the camino. Your brain keeps telling you "Why are you doing this? You're crazy. Stop!" But with one foot in front of the other, the brain finally gives in and instead of fighting with you, convinces you (and itself) that there is a beer or some pintxos waiting for you. I've always thought how fascinating it is that we have what seems like another creature inside of us: our brain.

P.S. I killed myself last year trying to learn French before walking the Podiensis. Hopeless. And on my first day, a local said I should stick to a few expressions but otherwise speak English slowly. He chuckled when he said my accent was so bad that it was punishment to the ears of native speakers. I got the point. And we had no problems, but...there were no conversations with locals or pelerin who did not speak English.
I don’t think you can make the blanket statement that all older people will absolutely have a hard time learning languages. As a language teacher and learner ( 76 yrs old) certainly some people have a natural talent of imitation which makes speaking sound more natural. Also some simply cannot hear unfamiliar sounds that don’t exist in their languages and so cannot reproduce them. A language theorist .. Krashen, believed learners should not even attempt to speak until they have been immersed or listening to the target language for two years! In my second year of living in Poland where I had few opportunities to speak as my students all wanted to speak English, I was astonished to realize I could understand much of a conversation of two passengers behind me on the bus. Your habit of watching Spanish language TV is a good one. Watching news broadcasts is good too since you already know the general topic and the speech is usually clear and in standard accents. But don’t take it for granted that age is a huge barrier to learning language. My opinion is that it is very individual .

Also some simply cannot hear unfamiliar sounds that don’t exist in their languages and so cannot reproduce them.
I agree with this and also disagree with it. It is perfectly true so long as one adds the phrase "without training". In my phonetics course in university we had to be able to hear and reproduce sounds that don't exist in English, or are not meaningfully distinguished, so, going into the course, we couldn't hear the differences (e.g. an unaspirated "p" at the beginning of a word). Nevertheless we were all expected to do so after the training.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I don’t think you can make the blanket statement that all older people will absolutely have a hard time learning languages. As a language teacher and learner
As an amateur language teacher (dropped out halfway through the degree program) and amateur linguist (with post-graduate course work), I have to agree. PLENTY of people are multilingual. Ease of learning has far more to do with the methods than one’s age. Anyone who has learned one language can learn another. Especially a similar language—my Spanish (level B1) allowed me to pass the A1 test for Italian before I even studied Italian..

But conversations?
But that was it really.

But..........

Is that a big deal?

In a nutshell: Look into the concept of "comprehensible input." This page does a good job explaining it: https://www.dreamingspanish.com/method. I'm conversational (i.e. I can do pretty well talking one-on-one to most Spaniards on most any topic unless it's one I have no interest in/no vocabulary for. I'm not perfect by any stretch, but definitely conversational.)

A friend wrote on Facebook that she was at some crazy high level in Duolingo and still can't speak Spanish. I get it. Whenever anyone talks about learning the language, my question is always: Can you speak it and understand it? Because THAT is my goal. If Duolingo helped you get there, great. But that didn't work for me. You have to find what works for you. So here's what I did:)

I wrote about it my language learning journey here: https://renaissancerebecca.com/2023/11/24/learning-spanish-an-update/

Longer Story:
1 - I started with the first 60 lessons of Pimsleur. No grammar. All in the context of conversation.
2 - I then did the first 5 units of Spanish with Paul's foundational course. You can't listen to him when you're tired as his voice is SUPER monotonous. But I liked learning a bit more about how the language "works." In Unit 6, he changes his methodology and it was frustrating, so I stopped.
3 - At this point (one year in), I heard about comprehensible input. I've been doing that for 1.5 years. No grammar. No pressure. All listening--to interesting content. The key is finding that content at the beginner levels. Dreaming Spanish had tons of free beginner level videos that were interesting to me. Once I watched all of those that interested me, I was ready for their intermediate videos and pay $8/mo for new daily videos.
4 - Once I got to a high-intermediate level on Dreaming Spanish. . . I started listening/watching Español con Juan. Then I found other Spanish Teacher Youtubers I liked. And now I'm at the point where I can listen to "native content" -- i.e. any Spanish YouTuber on any topic of interest.

**Note: I studied Spain Spanish when I could.

I've now done 1000 hours of listening and can't believe all the things I've just "picked up." E.g. I never studied when to use estar or ser. I've just listened to so much Spanish that I intuitively know. I don't know the names of the verb tenses (I've never done conjugations), but I just intuitively know how to use quite a few of them because I've heard them used so much. . .

Anyway, my learning has been a whole lot more fun that studying grammar in school. And it worked for me. So thought I'd pass it on:)

€149,-
Hi Robo and other language learners:
It appears the gist of the original question is about learning Spanish while considering the differences between South American Spanish and Spanish from Spain. You ask: Is that a big deal?

The simple answer is No. Dive in and use Duolingo and augment it with other resources as mentioned above. by other responders. As a language learner we make approximations, (think of how we understand a small child when they say they "buy-ed" something at the store). However, you will be on the Camino and nobody with the true spirit of the Camino will hold minor problems, especially with complex concepts against you. If they do, that's their issue. You may help yourself in learning by paying attention to others as they speak, and keep your mind active about the way words or phrases are used to convey different meanings. You will make mistakes, and that's okay.

I would recommend re-watching a movie or the news or something (something you are familiar with in English) and seeing it dubbed into Spanish or challenging yourself by reading the subtitles in Spanish with the volume off. It should be fun. YOu will be so much better prepared for conversation in the apps and lessons mentioned by others on this forum.

I'm Mexican-American and learned minimal Spanish at home, something called BICS (basic interpersonal communication skills). At school, I began to learn Spanish Cognitive Academic Language Proficiency skills (CALPS). Then I studied for a few months in Spain around the time Franco died when there was still a lot of nationalism for "Castellano". Please keep in mind there are many languages spoken in Spain. For example, Gallego. Which is spoken in Galicia. There isn't even a Duolingo course oh Gallego, but you can still speak basic Castellano and be understood (maybe) even if you aren't conversant in Gallego.
Buen Camino y mucha suerte aprendiendo el idioma.
Rosana

I have found the Fluenz program to be very helpful. They have 2 Spanish programs, Spanish Latin America and Spanish Spain. I do the lessons on my laptop, but they also have an app that can be accessed on your phone or iPad. It is geared for English speakers and introduces various grammar concepts in bite-size chunks so you can absorb them. There are also listening and writing exercises in each lesson.

In a nutshell: Look into the concept of "comprehensible input." This page does a good job explaining it: https://www.dreamingspanish.com/method. I'm conversational (i.e. I can do pretty well talking one-on-one to most Spaniards on most any topic unless it's one I have no interest in/no vocabulary for. I'm not perfect by any stretch, but definitely conversational.)

A friend wrote on Facebook that she was at some crazy high level in Duolingo and still can't speak Spanish. I get it. Whenever anyone talks about learning the language, my question is always: Can you speak it and understand it? Because THAT is my goal. If Duolingo helped you get there, great. But that didn't work for me. You have to find what works for you. So here's what I did:)

I wrote about it my language learning journey here: https://renaissancerebecca.com/2023/11/24/learning-spanish-an-update/

Longer Story:
1 - I started with the first 60 lessons of Pimsleur. No grammar. All in the context of conversation.
2 - I then did the first 5 units of Spanish with Paul's foundational course. You can't listen to him when you're tired as his voice is SUPER monotonous. But I liked learning a bit more about how the language "works." In Unit 6, he changes his methodology and it was frustrating, so I stopped.
3 - At this point (one year in), I heard about comprehensible input. I've been doing that for 1.5 years. No grammar. No pressure. All listening--to interesting content. The key is finding that content at the beginner levels. Dreaming Spanish had tons of free beginner level videos that were interesting to me. Once I watched all of those that interested me, I was ready for their intermediate videos and pay $8/mo for new daily videos.
4 - Once I got to a high-intermediate level on Dreaming Spanish. . . I started listening/watching Español con Juan. Then I found other Spanish Teacher Youtubers I liked. And now I'm at the point where I can listen to "native content" -- i.e. any Spanish YouTuber on any topic of interest.

**Note: I studied Spain Spanish when I could.

I've now done 1000 hours of listening and can't believe all the things I've just "picked up." E.g. I never studied when to use estar or ser. I've just listened to so much Spanish that I intuitively know. I don't know the names of the verb tenses (I've never done conjugations), but I just intuitively know how to use quite a few of them because I've heard them used so much. . .

Anyway, my learning has been a whole lot more fun that studying grammar in school. And it worked for me. So thought I'd pass it on:)
I think I mentioned up in the thread somewhere that I've also been using Dreaming Spanish (but only at 800 hours or so). I just finished all of the Español con Juan podcasts. I haven't been watching the videos so much, because I like to listen when walking or otherwise doing things that require my visual attention. Anyone else you'd care to suggest? I'm just at the point where I can pretty much understand the "El Camino People" Spanish interviews podcast - but that's helped because it's a subject I'm familiar with. :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back