A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Camino Forum Donation

El Camino Ingles - Update

D

David L. Lewis

Now to find a boat, that may present a problem, but hey, no hill for a stepper, lol

Pelegrin

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Primitivo June 2013
SJPP - Logroño June 2014
Ingles July2016
The day King Henry VIII decided to create his own religion the Camino Ingles ended at least starting from English soil.

Luckily it´s back on its feet and growing. :)

Ondo Ibili !
Mendi. Interesting question. Did the Camino from England end in Henry VIII times?.
I don´t know, but may be not. And after him we also have the short catholic period of Queen Mary.
I think that the pilgrimage would end in the kingdom of Queen Elisabeth, specially after the "Armada Invencible" episode.

Albertinho

ninguém disse que era fácil !
Camino(s) past & future
2013 Lisboa - Sant.
2014 Ferrol -Sant.
2015 Porto -Sant.
2018 Porto -Valença
2019 Valença -Sant.
Now to find a boat, that may present a problem, but hey, no hill for a stepper, lol
The hills appear when you hopefully are recovered from seasickness in Ferrol or a Coruña.
The British, Flemish,Scandinavian pilgrims had a hard time sailing from Poole or Plymouth to Galicia and had to encounter some serious hills on their way on the mainland to Santiago.
Light backpacking was not in fashion and I hope there was an equivalent for bar Julia down at the steep hill beyond Bruma. By that time Mario from o Meson do Vento did not offer his service to come down with his car to pick you up at Julia's bar and brought you back next morning so you could walk up without your Opsprey, Deuter or other brand.

to find a ship will not be a problem.If there are enough pilgrims there can be arranged something.
The next issue is how to cope with the bunch of pilgrims on the route to Santiago who want to eat,to drink and to sleep ?

By the way. I met Henry VIII the other day, visiting his hunting house in the Epping forest in the north of London.:)image.jpg

Albertinho

ninguém disse que era fácil !
Camino(s) past & future
2013 Lisboa - Sant.
2014 Ferrol -Sant.
2015 Porto -Sant.
2018 Porto -Valença
2019 Valença -Sant.

Tia Valeria

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Pt Norte/Pmtvo 2010
C. Inglés 2011
C. Primitivo '12
Norte-C. de la Reina '13
C. do Mar-C. Inglés '15
Betanzos. Palacete Betanzos closed down. Only hotel now is the Garelos. Info from tourist office.

nigel hoare

Algarve walker
Camino(s) past & future
Ingles May 2015
Portuguese May 2016
I just completed the CI last week.

With all respect to Johnny (his guide is invaluable) there is a major descriptive error that nearly brought me to tears on the long day last year (Betanzos to Bruma), which has yet to be corrected. It is very confusing, at least to me. On page 19 of his guide I have reproduced the paragraph with proposed corrections in parentheses:

KSO passing farm buildings to the Right hand side and after 800 meters there is a yellow arrow pointing straight ahead and immediately (actually, about 200 meters) see a waymark (waymark has been turned over face-down into a deep ditch. However, there is a yellow arrow painted on the pole) with path going off to the Left. Follow this dirt track (actually a well-paved minor road) watching out for arrows and on a small power pylon ahead there is an arrow pointing to the Right. When this track joins a minor road follow the waymark and turn Right.
This had us foxed as well. Especially the word 'immediately'!

Jacobus

Pilgrim since 2008
Camino(s) past & future
CF 2008 09 14
Del Norte 2011. Portuguese 2015, 2017Ingles 2015 Fisterre 2015.
You people "are killin me man!"

So many Caminos and only 3 months!

Where to start?

Now THIS one looks like a good place to begin August 18...walk to Santiago... bus to Leon... walk to Santiago... then walk backwards on the VDLP until the time is up.... hmmmmmmmmmmm :?:

Hi Annie...This past summer I did the Portuguese from Porto to Santiago (9 days), bus to Ferrol for the Ingles (6 days) then on to the Fisterre Camino 4 days. Had to buy a separate suitcase for the paperwork!

Rebekah Scott

Camino Busybody
Camino(s) past & future
Many, various, and continuing.
Just for the record: Spanish historians say Ferrol was not an original putting-in spot for medieval pilgrims who used the Ingles path to Santiago. They consistently went to Coruna, where the harbor is naturally protected from the heavy sea. Making Ferrol the starting place is an artifice wrought by the cathedral's 30-year-old "100-kilometer rule" that makes the traditional walk from Coruna too short to qualify for the ever-so-important Compostela certificate.
Both start right at the water's edge, and are lovely... although the first day out of Coruna is a LONG trudge on pavement!

Tia Valeria

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Pt Norte/Pmtvo 2010
C. Inglés 2011
C. Primitivo '12
Norte-C. de la Reina '13
C. do Mar-C. Inglés '15
Pilgrims also arrived in Viveiro to start their pilgrimages. now part of the Ruta do Mar. However that heads out to San Andrés de Teixido before turning south to join the Inglés at Xubia. The old route, we believe, headed SW out of Viveiro - maybe it will get revived one day. :)
The natural place to join the present Camino would also be either Xubia or Neda

wayfarer

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
SJPP-Santiago-Finistera-Muxia. April/May 2012
Sarria-Santiago Sept. 2013
SJPP - Almost Orrison April 2014
Just for the record: Spanish historians say Ferrol was not an original putting-in spot for medieval pilgrims who used the Ingles path to Santiago. They consistently went to Coruna, where the harbor is naturally protected from the heavy sea. Making Ferrol the starting place is an artifice wrought by the cathedral's 30-year-old "100-kilometer rule" that makes the traditional walk from Coruna too short to qualify for the ever-so-important Compostela certificate.
Both start right at the water's edge, and are lovely... although the first day out of Coruna is a LONG trudge on pavement!
This would agree with what I have head, that Irish pilgrims who left by boat from both St. James's Gate in Dublin and other ports like Dingle and Cork also sailed into Coruna and then walked to Santiago. I suppose in those days the pilgrims were not worried about a certificate but just wanted to visit the bones of St. James.

Jun Meng

The Only Way I know
Camino(s) past & future
VLDP Spring, 2016
To be honest, after a whole day walking and stay in a Albergue without bar and food, it can not be called EXCERLLENT at all! :eek:

martyndeh

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Ingles 2013, 2014 Camino portugese 2015,2016
Camino fisterra 2017
Sorry if someone has already mentioned this, there a lot of replies in this section. But the albergue del delia in sigueiro is excellent and easy to find most locals know where it is. When I was there she offered to sew my friends blisters and did an excellent job.It is private but not expensive and has a number of rooms.

Landon Ricketts

Smile, you are alive. You've got options :-)
Camino(s) past & future
Past - May 2018, Future - May 2019
didn't know where to post this, but FYI the double arched foot bridge over the Estuary to the Neda Alburgue was closed for maintenance in late May.
20180517_094659.jpg20180517_094630.jpg

Jacobus

Pilgrim since 2008
Camino(s) past & future
CF 2008 09 14
Del Norte 2011. Portuguese 2015, 2017Ingles 2015 Fisterre 2015.
Hello,

My boyfriend wants to walk to Santiago de compostela and he wants to know if he can start in England and it that case where he should start?

Many thanks!
Hello,
I am planning a pilgrimage from Stonehenge to Salisbury to Winchester then along the Pilgrims Route from Farnham (with a stop at Westminster)to Canterbury then south to Dover hopefully I can take a ferry from there to ACaruna and then walk on to SDC. Early on in my planning at the moment so subject to revision.

peb

Camino(s) past & future
C. Ingles March 2018
If I am correct, ferries from the UK go to Santander and Bilbao, not to A Coruna. There are though direct Vueling flights from Heathrow to A Coruna.

The Ingles from A Coruna is too short by itself to qualify for a compostela, but if you walk and record the pilgrims route that you are talking about, that UK pre-walk, and the Ingles from A Coruna to SdC, should qualify.

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here

Booking.com

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 40 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 136 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 223 24.8%