• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Entertainment... How to look at a painting of ... again?

gmag

Time of past OR future Camino
frances 1998, 2000, 2013
Since -I think- December 29 I have not entered this forum again.

My abrupt departure, after so much enthusiasm, and several requests from some members to continue with the subject of

" Entertainment... How to look at a painting of ...", forces me to give an explanation. In order not to bore you with personal problems, different, but all come to us at the same time and all related, I summarize them in a few words:

-Notification that same last day day that we had to pay several thousand euros in taxes for the year. (This situation is not understandable after a year with 95% fewer pilgrims, therefore with little income and no money to pay it.)

-Despair and personal depression of mine to see the panic and pessimism that surrounds us on the street, in the country. The psychosis due to the virus in Spain is really unbearable . I don't share it to that extent.

-Lack of prospects for the near future of the Camino and lack of confidence in all those who decide about our future, without distinction of political parties, ideas, or countries.

The sudden union of these three things, and some more global events , has made me isolate myself from everyone, except my closest family nucleus, and study deeply the situation calmly and with really professional and independent information sources about the covid. In my opinion, we are in this world to give well-being, and if possible happiness, to all those around us. This is what my parents taught me when I was a child, some 60 years ago. They told me one day -that I remember very well, being about 10 or 11 years old-, that God gives each one of us different capacities, which we are obliged to share with the others.

That phrase has always resonated in my head, and I am happy to believe in it. At the same time, they taught me not to burden others with my material problems, but to seek a solution for them or to ask for help or advice from my closest family or friends, if I don't have it in myself.

For now I have recovered my spirit, we have somehow solved some problems, or we have created the rational way to do it. This allows me to re-establish personal contacts and relationships.

These months, the last two of "mental and spiritual retreat", and the last 12 of “forced labor retreat”, my wife and I have used to improve our home, our albergue, our children's school life, our family life, our artistic life and our art shop, even our garden (we have finally been able to plant grass, an apple tree and a pear tree!, which has given us some happiness too). It has been a very good therapy. Anita is positive in any circumstance, she is Dutch, that is, she smiles whatever happens and she has the character of the invincible, nothing can beat her.

We have come to the Camino de Santiago with the philosophy of living our new life as a true Camino, in which each one carries their own backpack, their own tendonitis, their own blisters, and there are ups and downs and ups again and we know that the Camino is pain, struggle, overcoming, and always feel in movement towards Santiago, that is why we have not felt at any time defeated, nor will we feel it as long as we have the strength to fight and trust in ourselves, in Santiago (we have enough evidence that he is very close to us) and in God , who is the one who finally decides, and I hope, and I believe, that he will not abandon us. At least if we deserve it. And to deserve it, I think, we must continue believing in Him and fighting for ourselves and for what surrounds us.

If after this I am forgiven for leaving you without without responding to the last messages, without saying goodbye or see you soon, another weight will be lifted from my conscience.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you have to step away? Then you must, and require forgiveness from no person. (But I will miss your contribution as will most here.)

Your plan of action in the interim matches my own. Additions to garden and pantry continue apace!

I do not know how much help I can be on the tax issue. That seems very strange. I have experience with such issues in many countries. Send me a PM, IF YOU WISH, to lay out the basic fact pattern. I might be able to help. Then again, maybe not. We live in very strange days.

B

For now I have recovered my spirit, we have somehow solved some problems, or we have created the rational way to do it. This allows me to re-establish personal contacts and relationships.
I'm glad to read this.
my wife and I have used to improve our home, our albergue, our children's school life, our family life, our artistic life and our art shop, even our garden
That is excellent. Now we are approaching spring, so it is time to start thinking about what seeds to plant this year.
if... I am forgiven for leaving you without without responding to the last messages, without saying goodbye or see you soon, another weight will be lifted from my conscience.
Of course! Whenever you are ready, I look forward to any comments you might have on existing threads or new ones. We are always looking for discussions to keep ourselves positive and connected.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm glad you have returned to the Forum. Sometimes we need to steep away and then we can return with new energy.
Welcome back and all the best to you and your family.

If you have to step away? Then you must, and require forgiveness from no person. (But I will miss your contribution as will most here.)

Your plan of action in the interim matches my own. Additions to garden and pantry continue apace!

I do not know how much help I can be on the tax issue. That seems very strange. I have experience with such issues in many countries. Send me a PM, IF YOU WISH, to lay out the basic fact pattern. I might be able to help. Then again, maybe not. We live in very strange days.

B

Thanks Simply B, a refund of some expenses that we made in 2019 and that we received in 2020 (from de governement of the region) are the cause of the central government charging us that refund-aid as if they were benefits for our work ..., it is more or less something like that.

We have already paid and fixed it, and we thank you very much for the sympathy and the offer of help, Thank you !!!

G.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm glad to read this.

That is excellent. Now we are approaching spring, so it is time to start thinking about what seeds to plant this year.

Of course! Whenever you are ready, I look forward to any comments you might have on existing threads or new ones. We are always looking for discussions to keep ourselves positive and connected.
I'm glad to read this.

C clearly, the spring is already coming, and the storks have already arrived in Frómista ..., (they are so beautifull) now only the pilgrims are missing ... they will surely arrive soon.

And I already have a couple of interesting ideas... but I´m looking for some more...

Thank you!

G.

Hi @gmag!
I had wondered what had happened to you and am so appreciative to hear these honest and heartfelt comments on what has transpired in your life in recent months. Although you have struggled under quite a burden, you seem a solid man of faith with a good woman by your side, and it sounds as if things are now looking up for you.
I had enjoyed our occasional chats related to the paintings you had provided for our learning and entertainment pleasure.
I will be very happy if you decide to start your "art appreciation classes" with us once again...if, and in your own timing. 😊
Thanks so very much for sharing. Your words are an inspiration to me and a testimony in overcoming some of life's hardships.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Can I ask @gmag which is your Albergue?
And is it listed here?

Welcome back
And best wishes.
Hello Robo,

The albergue is the Luz de Frómista, open in September 2018, that is, in a little while it will be closed longer than open ... it is almost a record hard to match. The year and five months open has been a time of immense pleasure. The reason for coming here was the pilgrims, a different race of people, and you see, even though the albergues are closed, you are with us ...

One day, a few weeks after opening, Anita told me: "Gabriel, the albergues that do not speak languages do not know what they are missing by not being able to communicate with the pilgrims, it is fantastic." And so it is every day, fantastic. It does not matter if sometimes there are difficult days, there is always at least one pilgrim who makes us feel that it is a luxury to live among you.

And no, we are not on the list. As bad as it goes, it would be unfair, there are albergues that need it more, for whatever reasons, at least for now, and from the beginning...

Hello Robo,

The albergue is the Luz de Frómista, open in September 2018, that is, in a little while it will be closed longer than open ... it is almost a record hard to match. The year and five months open has been a time of immense pleasure. The reason for coming here was the pilgrims, a different race of people, and you see, even though the albergues are closed, you are with us ...

One day, a few weeks after opening, Anita told me: "Gabriel, the albergues that do not speak languages do not know what they are missing by not being able to communicate with the pilgrims, it is fantastic." And so it is every day, fantastic. It does not matter if sometimes there are difficult days, there is always at least one pilgrim who makes us feel that it is a luxury to live among you.

And no, we are not on the list. As bad as it goes, it would be unfair, there are albergues that need it more, for whatever reasons, at least for now, and from the beginning...
Gmag — I was one of 14 pilgrims who began a camino from Fromistá in 2018, but I did not stay there. Your courage, your art appreciation classes for all of us... your fortitude... they all compel Me to say that although I’d sworn of another trip to the meseta, that if I am ever again lucky enough to set foot in Spain, I will make a point of returning to Fromistá and to paying a visit to your albergue. I am hoping for January 2022...

Just checked out your alburgue online, as it wasn’t open when I did my last CF...and it is beautiful. Will keep my eye open when I am able to do my next!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello Robo,

Looks really nice.

If I ever walk the CF again I'll definitely come and stay!

Hi @gmag!
I had wondered what had happened to you and am so appreciative to hear these honest and heartfelt comments on what has transpired in your life in recent months. Although you have struggled under quite a burden, you seem a solid man of faith with a good woman by your side, and it sounds as if things are now looking up for you.
I had enjoyed our occasional chats related to the paintings you had provided for our learning and entertainment pleasure.
I will be very happy if you decide to start your "art appreciation classes" with us once again...if, and in your own timing. 😊
Thanks so very much for sharing. Your words are an inspiration to me and a testimony in overcoming some of life's hardships.

Hello Chrissy, yes, here again to make you suffer 😁..., you were a great companion to all of us in the adventure of discovering Velazquez together, and I have to find something that is interesting enough and difficult enough ..., in any case, thanks also to you for the sympathetic reception !!! See you soon with something new...

G.

Gmag — I was one of 14 pilgrims who began a camino from Fromistá in 2018, but I did not stay there. Your courage, your art appreciation classes for all of us... your fortitude... they all compel Me to say that although I’d sworn of another trip to the meseta, that if I am ever again lucky enough to set foot in Spain, I will make a point of returning to Fromistá and to paying a visit to your albergue. I am hoping for January 2022...

Hi Faye, life sometimes gives us the opportunity to correct the biggest mistakes😉... I'm glad you're still on time!

A year goes by faster than we think, January 2022 is almost around the corner ... (well, maybe I'm exaggerating, it may be my Mediterranean character) but if it's not around the corner, is on the other side of the Meseta.

In any case, I hope that the day you pass by and enter this house will come, and that it will be soon. (Coimbra is not so far, we were there last summer!)

Thanks,

Gabriel

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Just checked out your alburgue online, as it wasn’t open when I did my last CF...and it is beautiful. Will keep my eye open when I am able to do my next!

Hello Canada Wanders, my experience with Canadians is excellent, I really hope to see you here !!

And thank you for what you say about the house, it is true, it is beautiful, it is 105 years old, it is a house that has, many pilgrims say, a very positive energy.

See you soon,

Gabriel

Looks really nice.

If I ever walk the CF again I'll definitely come and stay!

Robo, thank you.

I have read many of your posts and I would really like to have you here, I hope it would be possible...

Gabriel

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Gabriel,
So good to hear from you on the Forum again and for sharing some of your hardships of the last year and your new philosophy of life for the future.
We were booked to stay with you last year and of course had to cancel. We both very much look forward to walking the Camino again, as soon as we are allowed and to hopefully being able to stay with you at Luz de Fromista. We are both not getting any younger and do hope that we will be fit enough to walk. We are so pleased to hear you have all survived this last 14 months and have developed such a positive outlook.
We wish you all the very best wishes,
Anne & Pat

Since -I think- December 29 I have not entered this forum again.

My abrupt departure, after so much enthusiasm, and several requests from some members to continue with the subject of

" Entertainment... How to look at a painting of ...", forces me to give an explanation. In order not to bore you with personal problems, different, but all come to us at the same time and all related, I summarize them in a few words:

-Notification that same last day day that we had to pay several thousand euros in taxes for the year. (This situation is not understandable after a year with 95% fewer pilgrims, therefore with little income and no money to pay it.)

-Despair and personal depression of mine to see the panic and pessimism that surrounds us on the street, in the country. The psychosis due to the virus in Spain is really unbearable . I don't share it to that extent.

-Lack of prospects for the near future of the Camino and lack of confidence in all those who decide about our future, without distinction of political parties, ideas, or countries.

The sudden union of these three things, and some more global events , has made me isolate myself from everyone, except my closest family nucleus, and study deeply the situation calmly and with really professional and independent information sources about the covid. In my opinion, we are in this world to give well-being, and if possible happiness, to all those around us. This is what my parents taught me when I was a child, some 60 years ago. They told me one day -that I remember very well, being about 10 or 11 years old-, that God gives each one of us different capacities, which we are obliged to share with the others.

That phrase has always resonated in my head, and I am happy to believe in it. At the same time, they taught me not to burden others with my material problems, but to seek a solution for them or to ask for help or advice from my closest family or friends, if I don't have it in myself.

These months, the last two of "mental and spiritual retreat", and the last 12 of “forced labor retreat”, my wife and I have used to improve our home, our albergue, our children's school life, our family life, our artistic life and our art shop, even our garden (we have finally been able to plant grass, an apple tree and a pear tree!, which has given us some happiness too). It has been a very good therapy. Anita is positive in any circumstance, she is Dutch, that is, she smiles whatever happens and she has the character of the invincible, nothing can beat her.

We have come to the Camino de Santiago with the philosophy of living our new life as a true Camino, in which each one carries their own backpack, their own tendonitis, their own blisters, and there are ups and downs and ups again and we know that the Camino is pain, struggle, overcoming, and always feel in movement towards Santiago, that is why we have not felt at any time defeated, nor will we feel it as long as we have the strength to fight and trust in ourselves, in Santiago (we have enough evidence that he is very close to us) and in God , who is the one who finally decides, and I hope, and I believe, that he will not abandon us. At least if we deserve it. And to deserve it, I think, we must continue believing in Him and fighting for ourselves and for what surrounds us.

If after this I am forgiven for leaving you without without responding to the last messages, without saying goodbye or see you soon, another weight will be lifted from my conscience.
Welcome back Gabriel, you have been missed by me with your informative, nurturing original post and subject.
I wish you well and I have been thinking about you (and all the others) in these difficult times.
I have been watching Grayson Perry's art club here in the UK...so do another...you could become the "Grayson" of the camino forum, it would take our mind off things...

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello Robo,

I stayed with you in 2019 and enjoyed my stay, thank you!

Reality may be disappointing.
You may run out of Red Wine and have the rest of your guests complaining about the snoring :rolleyes:

Robo, no problem! The supermarket is right in front, it will not be a problem, and neither are the pilgrims, that day I do not open the albergue and we can drink🍷🍷 Rioja wine and sleep 😇😇peacefully without anyone bothering us!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Robo, no problem! The supermarket is right in front, it will not be a problem, and neither are the pilgrims, that day I do not open the albergue and we can drink🍷🍷 Rioja wine and sleep 😇😇peacefully without anyone bothering us!
Yep...sounds pretty much like my day.

Hi Gabriel,
So good to hear from you on the Forum again and for sharing some of your hardships of the last year and your new philosophy of life for the future.
We were booked to stay with you last year and of course had to cancel. We both very much look forward to walking the Camino again, as soon as we are allowed and to hopefully being able to stay with you at Luz de Fromista. We are both not getting any younger and do hope that we will be fit enough to walk. We are so pleased to hear you have all survived this last 14 months and have developed such a positive outlook.
We wish you all the very best wishes,
Anne & Pat

Hi Anne and Pat, I remember your reservation very well! I am also glad to know that you are well, and with the intention of doing what has to be done: the Camino !!!, live !!!
Here we will be ..., no rush ...
But I hope to see you soon.

Gabriel

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Welcome back Gabriel, you have been missed by me with your informative, nurturing original post and subject.
I wish you well and I have been thinking about you (and all the others) in these difficult times.
I have been watching Grayson Perry's art club here in the UK...so do another...you could become the "Grayson" of the camino forum, it would take our mind off things...

Bristle Boy, thank you! I have seen Grayson Perry, without a doubt he is a very nice man and very funny! He is out of my reach ...
See you very soon in the new painting...

I stayed with you in 2019 and enjoyed my stay, thank you!

Hello Doughnut, thank you for telling me publicly that you enjoyed our house! Save our reputation !!!!

I am very happy about it, all pilgrims are very important to us, of course, each one, but the members of this forum have something mythical for me, I consider you the true professionals of the Camino, not for walking, but for understanding and loving the Camino, that is your distinguishing mark.
G.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello Doughnut, thank you for telling me publicly that you enjoyed our house! Save our reputation !!!!

I am very happy about it, all pilgrims are very important to us, of course, each one, but the members of this forum have something mythical for me, I consider you the true professionals of the Camino, not for walking, but for understanding and loving the Camino, that is your distinguishing mark.
G.
I have your Albergue saved as a favourite in my copy of Google Maps 😁🥝

Most read last week in this forum

When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.