• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Entry requirements for France

michael

Over on a cycling website I belong to there is a lot of head scratching going on about what appears to be the new entry requirements for non EU visitors entry for less than 3 months in France.

Seems it may cost you €120 for the privilege.

Are the French and Spanish requirements for visitors the same or would you have to declare yourself at the first town after crossing the border?
Another €120s?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
As this current document dates from October 2019 its not exactly new. I've just tried out the "Do I need a visa?" page. And, coming from the UK, I don't. A schengen visa is a schengen visa. You don't need a separate one for each member country.

The rules might change tomorrow, today they stay the same ;)

On the basis of michael's earlier posts I gather that he might be pondering the cost of travelling from the UK through France into Spain, including the cost for PCR tests - potentially more than once. Did I understand your question correctly, @michael?

A first question for clarification would be: Within 72 hours or longer? Right now, or quite soon, or much later? Best answer would be: See the summary written by and on behalf of the moderators: [Post-Covid] Is the Camino open? Will I be able to walk?

The last link on the list - https://reopen.europa.eu/en - may be most useful in this case. You can check multiple conditions for every combination - whether you travel from the Rest of the World (includes the UK) to France, or from France to Spain, or Rest of the World -> Spain ... by air, by land, and by sea. Click on the various icons. There's comprehensive information that is kept up to date.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Over on a cycling website I belong to there is a lot of head scratching going on about what appears to be the new entry requirements for non EU visitors entry for less than 3 months in France.

Seems it may cost you €120 for the privilege.

Are the French and Spanish requirements for visitors the same or would you have to declare yourself at the first town after crossing the border?
Another €120s?
Is this what you were thinking of? If you are not staying with friends or family or can show a hotel reservation, you should have €120/day for your time in France -read here. Short stay
All bizarre but thanks to brexs**t

Oh yippie, it’s not a question about potential Covid related cost, it’s a question about potential post-Brexit related costs. Context-free quote from the internet that we all know and love: French border guards are within their rights to ask you for proof of sufficient financial means to cover basic costs during your stay. The guideline figures for this are: €65 per day if you have a hotel booking, €120 per day if you have no hotel booking, €32.50 per day if you are staying with friends or family.

@michael, we know nothing about the members of the cycling website to which you belong and why they are scratching their heads but if you live in the UK, have a British passport and are on your way to Spain via France for a Camino bike trip, none of this really concerns you much. And the text above doesn’t even say that a person has to spend €120 per day ... only that they would have to show that they have the means to spend the money IF they get asked by French border control.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
All bizarre but thanks to brexs**t
Not really. The requirement that foreign visitors must have sufficient means of subsistence, both for the duration of the intended stay and for the return home, has been in the Schengen Border Code for ages. As thousands if not millions of travellers from the USA, Canada, Australia and many other countries will testify, they never got asked to show proof.

The requirement that foreign visitors must have sufficient means of subsistence, both for the duration of the intended stay and for the return home, has been in the Schengen Border Code for ages.
And I expect it is the policy for entry into just about any country in the world - if they don't think you can afford to take care of yourself, they don't want you entering the country!

And I expect it is the policy for entry into just about any country in the world - if they don't think you can afford to take care of yourself, they don't want you entering the country!
I would think so. And just to clarify: The rule about means of subsistence (= having enough money to tap into during the trip if necessary) applies to short-term visitors, wether they must get a visa or not. When you travel from the UK through France to Spain, your passport will be checked by French border control once, and not again when you enter Spain afterwards; it is the same as in the past. You don't have to report in a town hall in France or Spain.

I got curious about the other countries. I think this list is current: Schengen reference amounts. For Spain, the amount is € 95 per day, with an overall minimum of € 855 for shorter trips. IF they ask for proof AT ALL at the border, it can be sufficient to show a credit card (border control can check the cover).

Bon voyage to @michael !

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'll add another comment as I see that the topic of requirements of entry into Spain and France from the outside of the EU/Schengen, unrelated to Covid-19 rules, is currently discussed on Facebook and other social media, and it is even picked up by some of the British press.

That a traveller can be asked by EU/Schengen border control to show proof of having a certain amount of money, a return flight ticket, a letter of invitation or health insurance cover is nothing new. It doesn't have anything to do with Covid-19 and it doesn't have anything to do with Brexit. And it doesn't mean that border control shall ask such proof from every traveller who arrives at their booths. Thousands if not millions of travellers from the USA, Canada, New Zealand, Australia and many other countries will testify to the fact that they had never been asked. As of the beginning of 2021, UK nationals are treated the same way as these other nationals are being treated at the Schengen borders.

The rules about having to prove that travellers have the necessary means of subsistence for their stay of up to 3 months in the EU/Schengen Area dates back to at least 2006 where I found the first publication of these amounts as specified by various EU countries here. These "reference amounts for the crossing of the external borders" of the Schengen area are updated from time to time by each country and published, without most of us ever hearing as much as a peep about it. It shouldn't be of any concern to nationals of the countries mentioned. Similar for return tickets, invitation letters, proof of booked accommodation and health travel insurance (which you should have anyway).

Last edited:
And it doesn't mean that border control shall ask such proof from every traveller who arrives at their booths. Thousands if not millions of travellers from the USA, Canada, New Zealand, Australia .....

To sum it up, there is legislation that permits them to ask for proof; guidance that explains there is legislation to allow them to ask; and a common belief that indicates the risk of being asked is very low.

Whereas the legislation and guidance won't change, the practice might but you won't know till you get there.

The same misinformation and rumours have been circulating about travel between the UK and Spain in recent week, ie wrongly claiming that you need an invitation letter and so on. An article in El Pais of 28 May 2021 and in English tries to dispel such claims and to calm frayed nerves.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Our planned inbound flight is supposed to be from Paris but according to https://reopen.europa.eu/en France is still closed to pretty much everyone except for a few. Is there a light at the end of tunnel? And I hope that light is not a train ;)

It varies greatly from one nationality to the next, though UK nationals residing in the UK only need visas if they plan on their visit(s) exceeding 90 days in a 180 day period. Similar I believe for US nationals, and some other larger countries.

It really is better to consider quite specifically "what are the requirements for my nationality ?", rather than confusing all "non EU" travellers as one. Consult rules from the Embassy website of your country of Nationality (and your country of Residence if it is different).

As to needing to pay for a "certificat d'hébergement", whilst technically this does apply to UK nationals, in fact the French Government has semi-officially confirmed that they will not be checking UK travellers for them on entry into the country ; I believe they can be useful for longer stays in certain municipalities, for example as a proof of lodging if you find employment and so wish to apply for residency, and other official purposes.

Our planned inbound flight is supposed to be from Paris but according to https://reopen.europa.eu/en France is still closed to pretty much everyone except for a few. Is there a light at the end of tunnel? And I hope that light is not a train ;)
From tomorrow June 9th, France will be allowing fully vaccinated persons to enter the country.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
From tomorrow June 9th, France will be allowing fully vaccinated persons to enter the country.
Looks like this is what they need for US Citizens:

If you are fully vaccinated:
  • you will present proof of your vaccination,
  • and the results of a negative PCR test of less than 72 hours or antigene test of less than 48 hours upon boarding,
I've read some news that PCR tests can cost upward of 100 Euros, thats a downer..

• and the results of a negative PCR test of less than 72 hours or antigene test of less than 48 hours upon boarding,
I've read some news that PCR tests can cost upward of 100 Euros, thats a downer..
What percentage of your cost would that be? Two nights in a cheap hotel? How long ate you staying? What did your flight cost?

What percentage of your cost would that be? Two nights in a cheap hotel? How long ate you staying? What did your flight cost?
yep exactly. First, my wife an I are pilgrims so the expenses are times two always. We dont want to spend if theres no need to. We can just leave from Madrid to avoid paying extra Covid-test. The tickets from MAD vs Paris are pretty much the same plus theres so much to see in Spain also.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

These things are liable to be changing on an almost daily basis for a little while longer ; particularly as the new vaxx passports and EU travel requirements are rolled out by each country, including acceptance of the cheaper antigen test. Though of course then there's the requirements for return travel to the US, and if that's PCR then there you go.

Most read last week in this forum

I'm sure many of you like me have followed the writing of Anton Pombo, who is currently lecturing in the United States. See this interview...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back