• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

European family holiday after walking the camino?

Syl Lorimer

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk the camino(2016)
Hello friends of the Camino
I am planning to walk the Camino in 2016 as I will be taking about 10 weeks of long service leave. After watching recently, "Walking the Camin0-six ways to Santiago", I am so inspired and have a calling to walking the whole way. My husband and I have also been planning his 50th next year and he would like to celebrate it with a holiday in Scotland his homeland including short trips to London and Paris. We were planning about 4 weeks in Europe.
Does anyone have any advice about the idea of a 4 week holiday after walking almost 800km?
I plan to meet my husband and son in Paris afterwards and then we will travel to Scotland, followed by London. I have no idea how I will feel after walking the Camino other than what I am hoping will be total fulfilment. My husband thinks that I will be completely exhausted and depleted to enjoy a holiday but I would like to think that I can do it, just the same as walking the whole Camino way.

Many thanks

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Although family holidays can be wonderful you might be disconcerted by the shock you actually feel when you finish your camino. Be prepared since it can be very difficult to 'switch gears' back from independent pilgrim mode! Personally I have always found this change akin to passing through the famous Narnia wardrobe and quite a shock. Be sure to read what other members have posted re ending their journeys and returning to their 'real' worlds in this current Forum thread.

MM

Last edited:
My husband thinks that I will be completely exhausted and depleted to enjoy a holiday but I would like to think that I can do it, just the same as walking the whole Camino way.
I think this assessment is to underestimate the physical endurance you will have acquired if you successfully walk from SJPP to SDC. You will need to prepare yourself mentally to 'switch gears' knowing that your family will have little real comprehension of the physical, mental and spiritual challenges that you have faced and risen to on your pilgrimage and the exhilaration you might feel having done so.

You might find visiting two big cities stressful. You might want to think about how you will cope with the busy-ness and crowds that will be so different from being outside in the country walking alone or with a few camino friends. I know that I found it more difficult than I had anticipated when I visited my son in London after walking the CF. I was better prepared when I did the same at the end of my next pilgrimage.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I believe that a change in scenery would be just what the doctor ordered, but of course not too close to civilization. Greece has 16,000 km of shore line ,6,000 islands, 227 of which are inhabited. Check out this site www.visit Greece. gr/en/greek-islands. Don't be turned off by what you hear about the economic crisis. The problem is directed solely towards Greek citizens & Greek banks. The tourist industry is not affected. First hand info ( I'm on Greek island at the moment )

I believe that a change in scenery would be just what the doctor ordered, but of course not too close to civilization. Greece has 16,000 km of shore line ,6,000 islands, 227 of which are inhabited. Check out this site www.visit Greece. gr/en/greek-islands. Don't be turned off by what you hear about the economic crisis. The problem is directed solely towards Greek citizens & Greek banks. The tourist industry is not affected. First hand info ( I'm on Greek island at the moment )
I am amused by your view that the answer is a holiday in Greece, even though the OP was about visiting somewhere else in Europe.

Well, four weeks is quite a long time & Europe is smaller than most people think, not to mention easy to get around. So expanding ones options sometimes may lead to a not only unexpected but memorable holiday.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It just depends on how your Camino goes.

I've done it.
One year I walked the Camino in May, then spent a few months in the UK, then went back and walked the Camino again in September.
It was fine but I was definitely ready to go home by the end of it.

Another year, the rain was horrible on the Camino and I caught cold, so I flew to Italy and found a nice sunny camping spot for two weeks.
I took a little train into Rome each day (and other surrounding areas) and touristed around.
It was fine.
I then returned to the Camino, feeling refreshed by the sunshine and break.

Every year, I either go early to explore Europe and walk, or I stay late.
I mean once you're there, the rest is cake.

I think you'll want a day or two to readjust - but it's great to take advantage of "already being there" in my opinion.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I think what the others have posted really hit the mark as far as mentally & physically coping in busy environments. If you start in Scotland first you will not have as much "busy" when I think of Scotland it reminded me of my home returning to Montana. People talk to you & it seems much more relaxed. London all of England is an amazing place to visit as is Paris but those cities are sure to overwhelm after the Camino. I spent 5 days in Madrid after my walk it was a tough adjustment.

As Doug pointed out your family will not be in the same mindset so were ever you end up you will need to have time to think

So expanding ones options sometimes may lead to a not only unexpected but memorable holiday.
Really! How can a holiday be unexpected when one has planned it? You sound like a travel agent or advertising executive who cannot leave their day job behind. Your responses appears to ignore the question in the OP completely in an effort to promote your product.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks everyone for your constructive and informative posts. It was very much appreciated. I will definitely bear in mind all the advice. As Annie pointed out "taking advantage of already being there" is something I've thought about and I will be in no hurry to return home after the Camino.
MT, I would like to think that after 4 weeks of walking the Camino alone I will have done more thinking than what I will ever do during a 4 week holiday with my family. But thanks for your reply.

Doug, you couldn't be more wrong. I'm just talking from experience. Thinking out of the box. I'm not going to bore you by going into any details however more than once in my life things which I had ruled out or better yet had absolutely no idea of ,have now turned out to be the best decisions I have ever made. One of which is The Camino.. As I mentioned earlier I'm on an island now (just want to share my thoughts ) PS you are no-where even close to my profession . With these few words I hope you can better understand my suggestions.

The first time we did a camino it was sandwiched in between a week sightseeing in Paris and a week racing round London trying to cram as much in as possible and we finished up with a week on a canal boat. It was ALL wonderful!!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
It worked really well for our family. We went to the Basque coast and San Sebastian/Donostia. Granted, we are biased toward the basque country to begin with.....but it also worked with the Camino-dumps because it felt familiar (a return to the region of the beginning of the camino) yet different (not near the Frances) and a place with a unique culture and plenty for kids to do.

I think it sounds like a fabulous idea. We had friends who did that and it worked out great for them. It seems kind of like a gradual re-entry program - you walk the Camino, and then rather than going straight back to work, you go on vacation :) That gives you time to process what you've learned about yourself and your experiences, share them with your family, and kind of chill out a bit - THEN return to work. And, just think - all of the walking you would do on a European vacation that would normally seem like a lot, will seem like a stroll down the block.

Syl, a camino can be a very transformative experience for many people. As others have said it can be a bit of a challenge to readjust to normal life. Having this period of being with your family while on a vacation may make that readjustment easier.

The challenge I see is that both Paris and London are places that can easily absorb all the time that you give them. There really is an incredible number of things to see/do in each location. It really depends on where your interests are found. Some of us prefer Paris, me; others prefer London. Some of us enjoy areas outside of Paris (the Loire, Bretagne, Reims, Rouen, ....and I am not a Anglohile.

Think about what appeals to you and consider some of the surrounding areas should your interests find a better home there. A little bit of research and planning will make the time you have alloted to each area all the more enjoyable.

Good luck and enjoy each moment you have,

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

I've just read this article from La Voz de Galicia. A Camino guide and frequent pilgrim with over 30 years of Camino experience calling for some greater regulation of numbers - at least on the...
One death attributed to a heart attack last week. Two pelegrinos gored, one seriously. One broken leg and many ending in Pamplona due to knee and leg and ankle injuries. Is it possible to confirm...
Hello. I am considering walking the Camino for the first time this fall, probably beginning the third week of September in St. Jean. But I keep reading about how crowded the Camino is, including...
Hello, two weeks ago, I finished the Camino Francés, and while all the recent memories have not properly settled yet, I think enough time has passed to write a bit about my experience of the...
Is there a list of albergues that also have private rooms on the Camino Frances? Gracias.
Can anyone give me (newbie!) some guidance on planning my stages after Roncesvalles? I currently have lodging booked Zubiri, Pamplona and then Puente la Reine, and on from there. I would prefer...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back