• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

"Eye surgery in Pamplona"

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
@Dreamwalker33 posted this in a PM. I am posting this here for her.

Got to St Jean PdP 23-aug14. Made it to stage 5 (Puerta la Reina). Lost vision in my L eye (retinal detachment). Had to leave alberque by late night taxi back to Pamplona Virgin Hospital for emergency eye surgery. With gas bubble in eye, husband & I must stay here for 3-4 wks while I heal.. Hoping to bus/train to Sarria and walk into Santiago. Luckily our flight home out of Madrid is 20-Oct-14. Crazy, I know!!! -> Silver lining: Free surgery

Also, does anyone know what to do with damaged knees? When descending the "hill of forgiveness" (using 2 poles) both my knees started aching.. Like they we're hit with a baseball bat. Been resting at hotel and trying not to walk much. Any advise is welcome.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A friend of a friend had severe knee problems out of SJPdP, and had a knee drained at the hospital in Pamplona (about a half-liter!!!), then again as necessary further down the Camino. If the knee is that swollen, such treatment is available.

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm wondering if you had the gas bubble in your eye and trouble with your retina, you may also have fluid in the sacks around your knees. May want to check with a Doctor there about that. It is really painful and unless you normally have trouble with your knees it is something to think about. Good luck and I wish you speedy healing.

Do so hope some of your vision in that eye is saved. I second that you are in good hands having medical treatment in Pamplona. A friend recently researched health care to help her decide the best place to retire and top of her list was France, the second was Spain.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I think that the gas bubble is put there by the doctors to hold the retina back in place. Hopefully if there is a knee problem which needs sorting then the hospital will realise when she goes for a check up on her eye.
Hope all goes well with you dreamwalker.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
A friend of a friend had severe knee problems out of SJPdP, and had a knee drained at the hospital in Pamplona (about a half-liter!!!), then again as necessary further down the Camino. If the knee is that swollen, such treatment is available.
We'll, my knee isn't swollen-just very sore. I see eye dr Thursday so will ask him what I should do. Been spending last 2 days on nearby parks reading, resting and trying to stay off leg - icing it, too.

Do so hope some of your vision in that eye is saved. I second that you are in good hands having medical treatment in Pamplona. A friend recently researched health care to help her decide the best place to retire and top of her list was France, the second was Spain.
We couldn't believe when we asked (after giving the ER our travel & home health info) that this operation was Free! Not for that reason , though it's a good one, I could see us living in Spain. :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Sending lots of good wishes for speedy recovery of both eye and knee, Dreamwalker33. It sounds as though this happened in the best place, and that you're receiving good care. It's probably a good thing for your knee that your eye is forcing a rest, although that's probably not much comfort right now! I hope you're able to walk a little further once you're fully recovered, and before you have to leave for home.
Buen camino!

We'll, my knee isn't swollen-just very sore. I see eye dr Thursday so will ask him what I should do. Been spending last 2 days on nearby parks reading, resting and trying to stay off leg - icing it, too.
Hi Dreamwalker33 -
I add my best wishes for your return to good health very, very soon - both with your eye and the knee. As your husband is with you, would it be worthwhile hiring a wheelchair for, say, a week or so, so you can still be out and about - experiencing all that Pamplona has to offer - and be off the leg.
Cheers - Jenny

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ii
I'm wondering if you had the gas bubble in your eye and trouble with your retina, you may also have fluid in the sacks around your knees. May want to check with a Doctor there about that. It is really painful and unless you normally have trouble with your knees it is something to think about. Good luck and I wish you speedy healing.
'
I've been walking up and down quite steep hills for months prior to Camino. In Cizur Menor a car nearly ran us down at dawn and we jolted to a stop. My R knee cap felt strained. Then my first step descending the "hill of forgiveness" my other knee pained me so badly. Never expected any trouble.. So many kind folk helping/ encouraging me. For sure will speak with my doctor! Thank you :)

Hi Dreamwalker33 -
I add my best wishes for your return to good health very, very soon - both with your eye and the knee. As your husband is with you, would it be worthwhile hiring a wheelchair for, say, a week or so, so you can still be out and about - experiencing all that Pamplona has to offer - and be off the leg.
Cheers - Jenny
Goodness, :) ... Well.. I did buy a knee brace, use arnica sp?, ice and stopped walking except to get coffee and get outside air. We are near the 3 hospitals, so nice area. We did walk several times to the ancient city but knees wore out. I hope my doctor can suggest/X-ray? If using a wheel chair will help, I'm all for it. Just need to heal if I'm to walk at all before time runs out.

So sorry to hear about your eye. Your job right now is to heal well, and later if the doctors don't clear you to keep hiking, you can always go to the beach and have a vacation! Take care of yourself and keep us updated!
Faith

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes! and if you don't like the beach you can get on a bus and see the sights as you go. Leon, Borgos, and etc. Such a beautiful country. Enjoy it. Great idea natefaith!

I saw my Dr today -- my eye is healing well and next appointment is 16-sept-14. We told him our plan to walk from Sarria to Santiago. He said that he'd needed to see me once more after the 16th, and walking after that is doable. Both my husband and I really like the beach and talked about going to Portugal and just spend our time there, but we do want to finish what we set out to do --> Walk to Santiago together and hopefully on to Finisterre.

My knees are much better today. :) icing and knee brace while walking helps. I'll have to update my picture with eye patch gone and eye starting to open up. Wish I could tolerate ibuprophen... It took the pain away, but my stomach really got upset for a few hours (taken with food). Thanks for caring and like your suggestions!

I saw my Dr today -- my eye is healing well and next appointment is 16-sept-14. We told him our plan to walk from Sarria to Santiago. He said that he'd needed to see me once more after the 16th, and walking after that is doable. Both my husband and I really like the beach and talked about going to Portugal and just spend our time there, but we do want to finish what we set out to do --> Walk to Santiago together and hopefully on to Finisterre.

My knees are much better today. :) icing and knee brace while walking helps. I'll have to update my picture with eye patch gone and eye starting to open up. Wish I could tolerate ibuprophen... It took the pain away, but my stomach really got upset for a few hours (taken with food). Thanks for caring and like your suggestions!

I have a similar problem with Ibuprofen but I can tolerate Arthrotec which is a non steroidal but with a stomach calming medication built in. It is stronger than Ibuprofen and so is a prescription medication, even in Spain but it does the trick for me when I need it. I believe it's called Arthroteca in Spain. I wish you all the best for the future and hope you get to finish your Camino at Finisterre.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks for that info! I'll try Tylenol today and see if it helps, and ask for Arthroteca if it comes to that. Thinking I may get another knee brace so both knees have support. Well.. 11 days until next appointment, and we'll figure out how to get to SARRIA - hopefully not too out of shape. Dr said I can't carry any weight now, but may be able to once the gas dissipates. :)

I have a similar problem with Ibuprofen but I can tolerate Arthrotec which is a non steroidal but with a stomach calming medication built in. It is stronger than Ibuprofen and so is a prescription medication, even in Spain but it does the trick for me when I need it. I believe it's called Arthroteca in Spain. I wish you all the best for the future and hope you get to finish your Camino at Finisterre.
Went to pharmacy -- got another knee brace and Artrotec!!! Yes!! It was over-the-counter! :) now for a little sight seeing. Thanks so much for telling me/helping me! Taking zip-lock bag to ice knees at rest breaks. I want to say how much I appreciate all the help-support/caring kindness I've received here from everyone. Means a lot to me and very grateful! You lift me up. :)

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
Hi everyone. My name is Nika. I plan to take my backpack, and go on Camino in the end of the next week. I still don’t know how will I get from Kyiv to France. And what city should I come to… I...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back