• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Father/Daughter on our first Camino Feb 2019

pgsilva

Tracing my Pelayo Family
Time of past OR future Camino
none
Hola Everyone,
Part of my family (Pelayo) originally came from Santiago de Compostela, and in doing some genealogical research I came across the Camino and decided to make my own pilgrimage. I told my daughter about my plans and she wants to do it too!

She's taking the spring semester off from college and we're hoping to start sometime in February - we have to be back by the beginning of April. I wanted to do take the Napoleon route, but I've read a lot about the weather along the Camino Frances, (and the Valcarlos alternative), and may go that way once we're there and can assess the situation. I'm hoping to learn lots more here, including whether it makes sense to get the services of a tour company.

Wish us luck!
Jerry & Elena

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi and welcome, in February the Napoleon route is closed for safety reasons and you will need to take the route via Valcarlos. Buen Camino, SY

Thanks for letting me know. I didn't realize they close that route outright.
J

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Welcome to the forum!
Do check the posts in this earlier thread re walking in winter for many helpful links and tips.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/camino-winter-advice.51183/

I have climbed the Valcarlos route 11 times over the past years always stopping for the night in Valcarlos. The latest slog was mid October 2015 at 76. After leaving the Valcarlos albergue at dawn (around 08:00) it took 5 hours to arrive at Roncesvalles, pooped but proud.

In bad weather ie fog, rain or snow I walked on the left side verges of the N135 road and not followed any passages into or through the wood. You can read those accounts more fully here.

Whatever the season or weather it is important to remember that beyond Valcarlos there are neither services nor water until Roncesvalles. Be prepared!

Happy planning, stay safe and Buen camino to you and your daughter.

Hola Everyone,
Part of my family (Pelayo) originally came from Santiago de Compostela, and in doing some genealogical research I came across the Camino and decided to make my own pilgrimage. I told my daughter about my plans and she wants to do it too!

She's taking the spring semester off from college and we're hoping to start sometime in February - we have to be back by the beginning of April. I wanted to do take the Napoleon route, but I've read a lot about the weather along the Camino Frances, (and the Valcarlos alternative), and may go that way once we're there and can assess the situation. I'm hoping to learn lots more here, including whether it makes sense to get the services of a tour company.

Wish us luck!
Jerry & Elena

Hi and welcome!

No need to hire a tour company, you will be fine with a guidebook or app. What you need to know is what accomodation is open in February. A guidebook will tell you this. Also check out the winter list of albergues available in the resources section on this site. I would book ahead accomodation for St. Jean and Valcarlos before you set out, other than that you will be fine.

It is a lovely time to walk!

Buen camino!
Davey

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You folks are awesome! Thanks for the quick info! We've already gotten fitted for shoes at REI and are going to get the rest of our gear (pack, clothes, etc) during the Christmas break. Will start some training in December as well to get used to the shoes and pack.

Jerry

Oh I forgot. Be sure to pop into the pilgrim office in St. Jean. You can get your credential (pilgrim passport) and your first stamp there. They will also advise on any issues you have and current weather issues. They will also supply you with a current list of open albergues all the way to Santiago.

Happy planning!

Thanks Davey. Yep, That's where we're planning to start, at the pilgrim office! I figured they'd have updated info of the path.

Jerry

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I walked February to April in 2014. Albergues are open every 25kms or so. But, as stated above, ask hospitaleros who is open in next few stops.

Prepare for all weathers: possibly hot in April, frigid and windy February and March, and the mud. The slick and slippery mud.

The Valcarlos route is nice.

Go to pilgrim’s Mass in Roncesvalles. It is a nice send off.

Buen camino to you both!

Yes, I've heard about the infamous Spanish mud :). Makes a good case for walking poles!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ditto on the advice on the use of a tour company.
You do not need one. Just a good guidebook, and perhaps a cellular mobile to call ahead to albergues to see if they are open.

Hola Everyone,

Wish us luck!
Jerry & Elena
My husband and daughter did the Portuguese route and had a fabulous experience. On our trip from Le Puy to Santiago this year, we also saw a number of dads with daughters having a delightful time. I am sure you will both love the trip and remember it as so very special for a very very long time. BTW - we did the Valcarlos route in 2014 and the Napoleonic route this time. You don’t have to decide right now but if the Napoleonic route is open (they close it if the route becomes dangerous) it is far and away the better walk. Buen Camino.

Change of plans!

Due to school schedules at my daughter's college, We're shifting our trek to end of March thru April. Better weather than Feb/Mar, si? I think the Napoleon route may still be closed when we get there, but we're good with the Valcarlos hike, especially for the 1st couple of days.

This also gives us more time to train! I did 6 miles at 3 mph, on the treadmill yesterday, rotating through 1%, 3%, and 5% incline - in my Camino shoes (Vasco Breeze III) - just to knock the cobwebs off my legs. No soreness today. It's also not 15 miles over varying terrain with 15 lbs on my back! But it's a start. :)

Jerry

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Another delay!!!

My daughter just got a new job, and I'm interviewing from one myself. The trip is postponed again, hopefully to June. The good news is that we haven't bought much gear yet, particularly clothes as I'm sure the June weather is very different from March/April!

Still considering the Norte. The seaside should be much nicer in June, si?

J

Well, another setback. My wife had herself a fall in April and messed up her arm pretty badly. She's recovering very well after surgery and PT, but my daughter has been an angel taking care of her mom and I've been keeping busy taking over a lot of the household to-dos as she's been mending. With school coming up for my daughter in 6 weeks, we've had to postpone the trip until sometime in the future. Maybe as soon as next summer - knock on wood.

With the heat blasting Spain right now, I'm wondering if we dodged a bullet by not being there right now. Either way, we're still looking forward to taking on this adventure!

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back