• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Female lone traveller

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello Samantha.

Since you say you will be walking for 5 weeks, I assume you plan to start in St. Jean Pied de Port (SJPP) or Roncesvalles, or thereabouts.

The answer to the questions of whether to prebook and/or pay for an organized trip are very personal. Personally, I would do neither, but if you prefer the security and certainty of companions and arrangements all made, you might feel differently. (I am a 75-year-old lone female, who prefers independence, but I have some experience on the various Caminos and I speak passable Spanish.)

I would assure you that during most of the year, you will quickly meet many other people that you can walk with - side by side if that is your preference, or more casually at a distance and just meeting at rest stops or accommodation.

The major disadvantage of booking everything in advance is that it ties you to a schedule that you may want to adjust as you go along. In an organized group, this would be a tighter commitment - both to companions and to lodgings - and of course it would be much more expensive.

There are a few times and places where pre-booking still seems wise even for people who prefer not to. These can be very specific - the first 3 days leaving from SJPP in May and September, or the 100-km stretch from Sarria to Santiago in August. On certain holidays and in popular tourist towns, accommodation can also get tight. So, if you tell us what approximate dates you are thinking about, we can give you more specific advice.

Booking arrangements also depend very much on what type of lodging you want. Do you want private rooms, or do you plan to sleep in "albergues" with dormitory-style accommodation? Some accommodation cannot be booked in advance, and these places are always first-come-first served. If you plan to book in advance, be aware that sites such as booking.com do not have access to all available rooms. I would recommend gronze.com for better information on where to seek accommodation.

Last edited:
This is really helpful.
I don't want to pre book or have to comply to an organised trip.
I have never done this before and feeling a bit nervous.
I am on a timescale due to work restrictions but I also want to enjoy the experience and be able to take a break.
I'm walking in May, so hopefully accommodation will be available when I get there. Apparently I snore (?) So for the wellbeing of other Pilgrims, I'm happy to pay more for a single room, if that's even an option. Otherwise, I will bring multiple packs of foam ear buds 😊

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Given your time frame and wish for private rooms, at least much of the time, I would suggest this approach:
  1. Get a guide book such as the Brierley one. You may in the end prefer to use one of the apps on your phone, but I find that having a book in hand is helpful in the planning stages at home while you are trying to get an idea of the whole picture.
  2. Become familiar with gronze.com.
  3. Depending on your fitness, days available, and your preference for having a few spare/rest days, consider starting a little closer to Santiago than SJPP. If you start in Roncesvalles or Pamplona, you will still meet and bond with people in the early stages of their journey, and you will avoid that bottleneck of accommodation in the first 3 days from SJPP. This will also take the time pressure off you, and leave some flexibility to accommodate illness, injury, need for rest, or wish to take a side trip or route variant.
  4. Wherever you decide to start, book the first 2 or 3 days. This is particularly important if you want to stay in SJPP, Roncesvalles, Zubiri and Pamplona in May.
  5. Working backwards from your known departure date, book a night or two in Santiago.
  6. Remember that May 1 is a holiday in Spain and many people travel that day and the days around it.
  7. Start "training" by walking as much as you can, and eventually walking at least 15-20 km for 2 or 3 days in a row, mainly to test your equipment and find out if your feet have spots that are vulnerable to blisters.

@Samantha77 :):), If you would prefer a single room then a little pre-booking, and some research, is going to be necessary. While there is plenty of Albergue / Bunk-room accommodation along the Frances single room / private facility sort of stuff does come at a bit of a premium. https://www.gronze.com/camino-frances is a great resource for seeing the range of accommodations available along the Frances and you have time to consider what your daily stages might be and where you might lie your "quiet" head. A big bag of ear buds might make you some friends ;) should you find yourself in an Albergue. You may also find you'll need them for your own peace and quiet. It is a well known fact that all the snorers in the world congregate on the Camino Frances in the season so that they can compete for the "MISA", "Most Impressive Snorer Award".

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You will find many, many other women walking the Camino solo in May.

I definitely wouldn't pay extra for an organized trip. If you want to book places ahead it's pretty easy to do yourself, and then you are in control of the booking and can change it as your needs change.
If you want to experience sleeping in albergues I wouldn't worry too much about your snoring, as you won't be the only one!

Before you go you will need to have a pretty good idea how far you are able to walk day after day. Just because a popular guide book breaks the Camino into 33 stages doesn't mean that pace is doable for you. Or you may find that you can actually walk farther each day and finish in less time. It's important to know so that you can adjust your starting point so that you can finish in Santiago in your time frame. I feel like it's better to "budget" a few extra days than to be on a tight schedule. You never know when you might need to slow down due to illness or injury, or want to spend a little more time in a great city or town.

Remember - St Jean Pied de Port is an arbitrary starting point because guidebook authors have to start somewhere. If you start in Pamplona, Burgos, León, etc. and finish in Santiago you will have walked a "complete" Camino. You don't need to start in SJPdP.

Hello again,
I'm planning my walk with a friend but incase she can't join me I'm wondering if I should prebook all accommodation and/or pay for an organised trip.
I will be walking for 5 weeks.
Thank you in advance

Some very good advice already.
On the subject of booking......
You will find many here who have walked a few Caminos will try to suggest that pre-booking is not a good thing. I am one of those too ;)

The reason is quite simple. In your case you plan to walk for about 5 weeks.
If you pre-book all your accommodation (or go with a tour group), you now have a strict schedule to walk to. I would suggest it would be almost impossible to maintain, without resorting to taxis/busses or having to walk faster or slower that you feel comfortable doing.

The reasons are quite simply, that things happen along the way. Unforeseen things, that make keeping to a schedule very hard.

1. We find it easier than planned and get frustrated that we have to stop early in the day because of booked accommodation.
  2. Or we find it harder than planned and have to 'catch' up using buses / taxis.
  3. Or we meet others with whom we 'bond' and want to walk where they are walking to, not to where we have booked.
  4. Or we get tired / injured and need a rest day, but there is really no way to know when you might need that rest day.
I think often, that those who pre-book their whole Camino or join a tour group do so out of fear. Fear of the unknown. And I don't mean that as a criticism. I was a bit the same first time! After all, it's quite a thing to undertake for most of us! Certainly the first time.

We wonder how we will cope, and booking everything before hand gives us a sense of security. It's quite natural. But that rigid schedule we book ourselves into can have a detrimental effect on our enjoyment and experience of the Camino.

There are those for whom pre-booking or joining a tour group makes sense of course. Some need a degree of 'support' due to age or health. Or maybe they have never travelled on their own before, and just can't image 'winging it'. Actually as I think back, the only time I ever travelled alone before, prior to a Camino.......other than a business trip..........was.........never :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, planning and preparation are a good thing. It gives us confidence. On my last 60 day Camino for example I planned each day. And allowed some rest days. This gave me an idea of how long the whole thing would take, to allow booking of flights. And it gave me an idea of what villages and towns I 'might' stay in. And accommodation that I might enjoy staying in. Did that 'plan' work? No. It was merely a planning tool.

I actually met people along the way and changed where I planned to stay many times.
I grew stronger and enjoyed walking longer distances than planned, so was a couple of days ahead of the 'plan'.

And other than the first few days, to get me started, (and knowing that I had a bed waiting for me), I only booked a day ahead. And in quite a few cases not at all. If staying in a Donativo Albergue for example, as most won't take bookings.

When setting out on your first Camino, it can be very hard, and a bit nerve wracking, to do so with minimal bookings made. But after the first couple of days you'll understand why it works. And the sense of freedom it allows you is quite magical.

Even walking with my wife Pat (a bit of a princess), who needs to know where she is sleeping the next day, we would make it an evening ritual to scan the accommodation options a day or two ahead.

"If we are walking to X tomorrow, where shall we go after that"? And then we'd compare notes and book something. It was really just a 5 minute task each evening.

I've just met too many stressed Pilgrims trying to keep to a previously booked 'schedule'.

Hopefully others, who have booked the whole thing ahead will chime in with a different perspective to give my comments some 'balance'. One way or the other :rolleyes:

But whatever...........you do what makes you comfortable. We can only arm you with information and our own personal perspectives and experiences to help you decide.........

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This is really helpful.
I am on a timescale due to work restrictions but I also want to enjoy the experience and be able to take a break.
I'm walking in May, so hopefully accommodation will be available when I get there. Apparently I snore (?) So for the wellbeing of other Pilgrims, I'm happy to pay more for a single room, if that's even an option. Otherwise, I will bring multiple packs of foam ear buds 😊
I walked this route alone-- was nervous at first but soon realized that I needn't be. I did not book ahead, but that was in October. May might be a bit more busy. You will likely get a feel for how much places are filling up in your first few days. It might be worth booking your first night or two and then deciding. I liked the flexibility of just walking until I was ready to stop-- always found a bed without any hassle. You will also get a feel, over that first week, of your pace etc. which will help you if you do decide to book ahead. There really is no wrong way to do it. No need for a group, I don't think. There's always someone to walk with if you want. Buen camino, and congratulations on taking a big step out of your comfort zone. It's a big deal. Know that there are so many of us with you in spirit.

Some very good advice already.
On the subject of booking......
You will find many here who have walked a few Caminos will try to suggest that pre-booking is not a good thing. I am one of those too ;)

The reason is quite simple. In your case you plan to walk for about 5 weeks.
If you pre-book all your accommodation (or go with a tour group), you now have a strict schedule to walk to. I would suggest it would be almost impossible to maintain, without resorting to taxis/busses or having to walk faster or slower that you feel comfortable doing.

The reasons are quite simply, that things happen along the way. Unforeseen things, that make keeping to a schedule very hard.

1. We find it easier than planned and get frustrated that we have to stop early in the day because of booked accommodation.
  2. Or we find it harder than planned and have to 'catch' up using buses / taxis.
  3. Or we meet others with whom we 'bond' and want to walk where they are walking to, not to where we have booked.
  4. Or we get tired / injured and need a rest day, but there is really no way to know when you might need that rest day.
I think often, that those who pre-book their whole Camino or join a tour group do so out of fear. Fear of the unknown. And I don't mean that as a criticism. I was a bit the same first time! After all, it's quite a thing to undertake for most of us! Certainly the first time.

We wonder how we will cope, and booking everything before hand gives us a sense of security. It's quite natural. But that rigid schedule we book ourselves into can have a detrimental effect on our enjoyment and experience of the Camino.

There are those for whom pre-booking or joining a tour group makes sense of course. Some need a degree of 'support' due to age or health. Or maybe they have never travelled on their own before, and just can't image 'winging it'. Actually as I think back, the only time I ever travelled alone before, prior to a Camino.......other than a business trip..........was.........never :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, planning and preparation are a good thing. It gives us confidence. On my last 60 day Camino for example I planned each day. And allowed some rest days. This gave me an idea of how long the whole thing would take, to allow booking of flights. And it gave me an idea of what villages and towns I 'might' stay in. And accommodation that I might enjoy staying in. Did that 'plan' work? No. It was merely a planning tool.

I actually met people along the way and changed where I planned to stay many times.
I grew stronger and enjoyed walking longer distances than planned, so was a couple of days ahead of the 'plan'.

And other than the first few days, to get me started, (and knowing that I had a bed waiting for me), I only booked a day ahead. And in quite a few cases not at all. If staying in a Donativo Albergue for example, as most won't take bookings.

When setting out on your first Camino, it can be very hard, and a bit nerve wracking, to do so with minimal bookings made. But after the first couple of days you'll understand why it works. And the sense of freedom it allows you is quite magical.

Even walking with my wife Pat (a bit of a princess), who needs to know where she is sleeping the next day, we would make it an evening ritual to scan the accommodation options a day or two ahead.

"If we are walking to X tomorrow, where shall we go after that"? And then we'd compare notes and book something. It was really just a 5 minute task each evening.

I've just met too many stressed Pilgrims trying to keep to a previously booked 'schedule'.

Hopefully others, who have booked the whole thing ahead will chime in with a different perspective to give my comments some 'balance'. One way or the other :rolleyes:

But whatever...........you do what makes you comfortable. We can only arm you with information and our own personal perspectives and experiences to help you decide.........
Thank you for taking the time to write this. I'm feeling much more confident now 😊

I walked this route alone-- was nervous at first but soon realized that I needn't be. I did not book ahead, but that was in October. May might be a bit more busy. You will likely get a feel for how much places are filling up in your first few days. It might be worth booking your first night or two and then deciding. I liked the flexibility of just walking until I was ready to stop-- always found a bed without any hassle. You will also get a feel, over that first week, of your pace etc. which will help you if you do decide to book ahead. There really is no wrong way to do it. No need for a group, I don't think. There's always someone to walk with if you want. Buen camino, and congratulations on taking a big step out of your comfort zone. It's a big deal. Know that there are so many of us with you in spirit.
Thank you so much.
I'm nervous but very excited.
I think I will book my first night then be brave and see what comes 😁

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello again,
I'm planning my walk with a friend but incase she can't join me I'm wondering if I should prebook all accommodation and/or pay for an organised trip.
Thank you in advance
I started walking September 1st. I’m STILL walking. LOL. And I’m doing it alone. There are a ton of lone women walkers. Yet other pilgrims are usually within earshot. You’ll make friends and then say goodbye only to meet up again in another town. I’m doing it MY way and on MY schedule. I’m glad I chose to do it alone the first time. I think my husband is doing the next one with me.

As far as booking, I HATE pre-booking, but after getting shut out of two town in a row, I started booking 2-3 days ahead. Some ppl I met booked the whole way they SdC.

Buen Camino

Hello again,
Thank you in advance
I walked solo as did several females I met. Some booked in advance but most did not. I did a hybrid of starting out a day in advance then as things became crowded 5 days in advance. Others only booked one day in advance and were fine b

Hello again,
Thank you in advance
I booked in advance from New Zealand many weeks ago because I heard that the Camino is very busy at this time. I am happy because it allows me to use the transport service (€6 cash per day in the envelope) to take my pack. However now that I am here (on day 13), I find that there are beds available every night in almost every albergue I hike past. The peak of the season has just passed. You will have no trouble finding a place for the night.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Thank you so much.
I'm nervous but very excited.
I think I will book my first night then be brave and see what comes 😁
If you are walking from SJPP, then I would suggest that you decide whether you want to walk to Roncesvalles in one go or two. If the latter, then you need either 2 nights in SJPP unless Orisson has private rooms. Orisson gets booked up quickly, SJPP is of course very popular as a starting place.
I'd also book your rooms as far as Pamplona as that stretch is a bit thin on accommodation, unless you are happy to try an albergue. After that, just go with your rhythm. There are some lovely albergues etc between the bigger 'stage' towns where you are much more likely to find a bed.

Hello again,
Thank you in advance
Generally no need to prebook ( Sarria to SdC a possible exception). I'm at Melide now and after one day problem (one albergue closed, next two full) I 'm now booking the day before . Not booking does give you more flexibility but it it will be a worry for you - prebook.
PS walking solo is GREAT!

@Samantha77 :):), If you would prefer a single room then a little pre-booking, and some research, is going to be necessary. While there is plenty of Albergue / Bunk-room accommodation along the Frances single room / private facility sort of stuff does come at a bit of a premium. https://www.gronze.com/camino-frances is a great resource for seeing the range of accommodations available along the Frances and you have time to consider what your daily stages might be and where you might lie your "quiet" head. A big bag of ear buds might make you some friends ;) should you find yourself in an Albergue. You may also find you'll need them for your own peace and quiet. It is a well known fact that all the snorers in the world congregate on the Camino Frances in the season so that they can compete for the "MISA", "Most Impressive Snorer Award".
I managed to end up with three contestants to the award in Villefrancha del bierzo almost 2 weeks ago. It was actually quite impressive. Me and two others gave up around 04.00 after being awake for two hours and went outside to get ready to walk.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello again,
Thank you in advance
I too had a friend that began the trip…but we had our own speeds. Reserve up to and including roncevalles . Then try reserving night after … most albergues don’t take reservations . After that trust that the Camino provides. Try not to go to the first albergue you come across because you are merely an anonymous number. Try to go to the ones in the following villages…they are more attentive. The donativo are the best if you relish communal experience

Hello again,
Thank you in advance
I was a solo 67 year old female Carminoways was wonderful . Book rooms make sure your comfortable with distance and have them bring your luggage from place to place
Buen Camino Suzanne Rossini

This is really helpful.
Hi Samantha
Suggest you book the first 2 nights only. After that be more open. Sometimes looking at smaller villages between the big stages offers more flexibility and not as crowded
Remember if you want to finish like a young parson, start like an old one. Slow and short distances until your body gets used to the walking and sleeping in different beds each night. Nothing to be fearful of. Enjoy. It’s an amazing adventure
Happy Mark

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am a 62 year old single female traveler with lots of solo and unplanned trips under my wings but never anything like the camino. I am currently walking. I have met many fellow solo females as well as couples and single male travelers. Meeting people will not be the issue. I’ve needed to learn to be brave and initiate conversations but connections are being made.

I used an agency to prebook my whole trip. I wanted to have private rooms each night. Several of the woman I have met are booking as they arrive and/or pre booking a few days in advance. I can certainly see many good reasons, all discussed above for planning your trip in this manner. However, several of the women I have met have said they wished they had preplanned the entire trip. That spending hours each evening figuring out a plan for the next few days is not how they envisioned spending their time.

IMO the type of accommodation you are seeking should factor strongly into your planning. If you are seeking shared accommodations in municipal or donativo you will be fine. If you are seeking private accommodations I would consider pre booking.

Having an agency behind you can be helpful. I ran into a minor health issue and used their support line. They rerouted me and will return me to my next planned stop when I resume.

There are many factors to consider. Knowing yourself, your comfort levels and your limits is important; make your decision based on that knowledge.

Mostly, have an amazing camino! Even with my health hiccup I’m having a wonderful experience.

I would humbly add, get the best earplugs for yourself, personal use. Try them out with a loud movie or in a construction zone. And prepare yourself for some startling encounter. As a snorer myself, I've been shaken awake, had earplugs pelted at me (while sleeping) & given a loud Good Morning at 5:30 am disreguarding other sleepers. I've done my best to book private rooms but sometimes it can't be done. Also there are snorer rooms in the really big hostels!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello again,
Thank you in advance
Samantha
I’m in the Camino Frances now, just entered Puente la renna. I would recommend booking a place in SJP the day you arrive and arrange for one day of luggage transport to Roncevaux (if that’s your goal). I have found I am able to book accommodations and luggage transport the day before. Price for transport is a bit more if you do it daily, but it gives you the freedom others spoke of earlier. Try not to make the same mistake I did of overpacking and a side note, it’s hot, 30C today. By the way, the hike from SJP to Roncevaux is one of the hardest hikes I’ve done in one day, my advice, leave as early as possible and be sure to dress in layers.
Be safe and good luck.

Hello again,
Thank you in advance
My best tip is a slight tangent on this topic. You don’t have to follow the stages of the guidebooks! I think this is part of what leads to the bottleneck in accommodations. Get a bed in the town before the next big stop where “everyone” is heading or after, or even halfway there! Buen Camino

I would book a place in SJP for your arrival and a place for your most likely second night (Orisson if you want a less demanding first day; otherwise Roncesvalle). And a night or two in SdC to celebrate your achievement.
If you are solo, do not set off until daylight and there are other peregrinos on the trail. Obviously, do not wander about solo after dark.

All will be good.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My best tip is a slight tangent on this topic. You don’t have to follow the stages of the guidebooks! I think this is part of what leads to the bottleneck in accommodations. Get a bed in the town before the next big stop where “everyone” is heading or after, or even halfway there! Buen Camino
Exactly this. Also do not pre-book the lot, I booked each place one day ahead and it worked fine. That way I could adjust my distance each day based on how I felt and I stayed in some lovely places

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back