• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Four weeks out -- another packing list to review?

Seabird

Time of past OR future Camino
CF April/May (2016), starting in St. Palais, France
I feel the anxiety/excitement building! My pack is packed and I've started wearing it on my training hikes. It feels good, but haven't done one of my usual 12-miles-with-hills hike yet. Total pack weight is 7024g (15.5 lbs), plus a waist pack of 1348g (3 lbs), plus my ukulele at 458g (1 lb). Total FSO weight (with clothes/poles/etc.) is 10,982g (24.2 lbs). A strict 10% pack weight would be 6350g (14 lbs), and a 20% FSO weight would be 12,700g (28 lbs). I remember Doug Fittz talking about a volume guideline of 200g/li, which would be 7200g (15.9 lbs).

I have already ditched several pounds of stuff, and have marked a couple of things in blue that I might leave. I have only one change of clothes, except for also including a skirt for walking/evenings. I'm leaving my Nanopuff jacket and only taking my fleece. I start April 12 in St. Palais, but I should be warm enough with layering.

By the way, I dutifully cut off every single tag, and the total weight saved..... 24 grams.

I can't thank all of you enough for your knowledge and your willingness to answer the same question by us newbies again and again. I thank you for your inspiration and your humor (and sometimes funny grumpiness). I thank you for helping me prepare for this glorious adventure!

Now, have a go at my list.......

Sharon

Attachments

• pack list.pdf
    61.4 KB · Views: 405
Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ahhh, the excitement builds! Just bought tickets the other day, so I appreciate the quickening feeling you have right now.

A few questions/observations for consideration:
  • Why a sleep sack if also taking a quilt? Or, is that really a replacement for a sheet?
  • If the NorthFace wind/rain jacket is water proof, then it's duplicative of your poncho in purpose. If it's genuinely a wind jacket, and thus highly breathable and only water resistant, then it's not an overlap.
  • Rain pants and gaiters are probably overkill, especially if using poncho.
  • If your backpack weight also includes a rain liner, that is duplicative of the poncho. You don't need both.
  • Your pants should NOT be cotton.
  • If willing to sleep in next day's shirt, then no need for separate sleeping shirt. Same observation about pants and the sports shorts. That's a highly personal thing.
  • If you can see fine with glasses, you might want to consider leaving the contacts at home. More weight, fuss, and might be more problematic if dust kicks up. You could then just use clip-ons for sunglasses.
  • Do you have sun lotion that will also address your facial cream needs? (I'm a guy, so mea culpa if that's a dumb question)
  • If you need the elastic bandage right up front, then certainly take it. Otherwise, you might instead want to get what you need in that regard as you go along. If in unexpected need, you can use the scarf short term.
  • Do you want your S2 and other electronics in your waist pack if wearing behind you and you slip and land on it? If wearing in front of you, then less concern.

@koilife -- answers to your thoughtful questions.
A few questions/observations for consideration:
  • Why a sleep sack if also taking a quilt? Or, is that really a replacement for a sheet? Replacement for a sheet.
  • If the NorthFace wind/rain jacket is water proof, then it's duplicative of your poncho in purpose. If it's genuinely a wind jacket, and thus highly breathable and only water resistant, then it's not an overlap. The Northface is only water resistant and is more for wind/layering than rain.
  • Rain pants and gaiters are probably overkill, especially if using poncho. Good point. The poncho comes pretty far down my legs.
  • If your backpack weight also includes a rain liner, that is duplicative of the poncho. You don't need both. Good. I'll leave the rain liner/cover at home.
  • Your pants should NOT be cotton. Tech fabric, not cotton
  • If willing to sleep in next day's shirt, then no need for separate sleeping shirt. Same observation about pants and the sports shorts. That's a highly personal thing. Shirt may be OK, but not pants
  • If you can see fine with glasses, you might want to consider leaving the contacts at home. More weight, fuss, and might be more problematic if dust kicks up. You could then just use clip-ons for sunglasses. I seriously considered this. Spent several days wearing only my glasses, and disliked it. The clincher was when I fell on my first training walk.....
  • Do you have sun lotion that will also address your facial cream needs? (I'm a guy, so mea culpa if that's a dumb question). Not a dumb question, and yes I have sun lotion.
  • If you need the elastic bandage right up front, then certainly take it. Otherwise, you might instead want to get what you need in that regard as you go along. If in unexpected need, you can use the scarf short term. That's what I was thinking, so will leave it.
  • Do you want your S2 and other electronics in your waist pack if wearing behind you and you slip and land on it? If wearing in front of you, then less concern. The S2 will be in my waist pack in front since I'm using it instead of a guidebook.
Thanks again.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Seabird you crack me up :) 24lb load and you cut the labels off? Hahaha what did that saved you 10g haha trim your toe nail that would save another 5g seriously your list it's very complete just too much of it can you cut some stuff like rain pants, rain jacket or poncho extra shoe lace or cord etc just my opinion

Zzotte

Seabird you crack me up :) 24lb load and you cut the labels off? Hahaha what did that saved you 10g haha trim your toe nail that would save another 5g seriously your list it's very complete just too much of it can you cut some stuff like rain pants, rain jacket or poncho extra shoe lace or cord etc just my opinion

Zzotte
Thanks, Zzzotte. :D I'm glad you got the irony -- I was really trying to reduce my weight! I'm going to give everything another look.

I feel the anxiety/excitement building! My pack is packed and I've started wearing it on my training hikes. It feels good, but haven't done one of my usual 12-miles-with-hills hike yet. Total pack weight is 7024g (15.5 lbs), plus a waist pack of 1348g (3 lbs), plus my ukulele at 458g (1 lb). Total FSO weight (with clothes/poles/etc.) is 10,982g (24.2 lbs). A strict 10% pack weight would be 6350g (14 lbs), and a 20% FSO weight would be 12,700g (28 lbs). I remember Doug Fittz talking about a volume guideline of 200g/li, which would be 7200g (15.9 lbs).

I have already ditched several pounds of stuff, and have marked a couple of things in blue that I might leave. I have only one change of clothes, except for also including a skirt for walking/evenings. I'm leaving my Nanopuff jacket and only taking my fleece. I start April 12 in St. Palais, but I should be warm enough with layering.

By the way, I dutifully cut off every single tag, and the total weight saved..... 24 grams.

I can't thank all of you enough for your knowledge and your willingness to answer the same question by us newbies again and again. I thank you for your inspiration and your humor (and sometimes funny grumpiness). I thank you for helping me prepare for this glorious adventure!

Sharon
I just noticed that you have "sport shorts" at 111 gms, 2 times. One pair said "sleeping" are you taking two pair???

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Sorry to be adding to your weight, but I found a "universal plug" very handy. It's a small rubber disk which fits over most plug holes. For some reason a huge number of sinks in Spain have no plug, making it very difficult to wash and rinse clothes.

I just noticed that you have "sport shorts" at 11 gms, 2 times. One pair said "sleeping" are you taking two pair???
Good catch. I'm only taking one pair. 111 grams saved off the top!

Sorry to be adding to your weight, but I found a "universal plug" very handy. It's a small rubber disk which fits over most plug holes. For some reason a huge number of sinks in Spain have no plug, making it very difficult to wash and rinse clothes.
I do have a sink stopper listed, just a flat piece of rubber. I know some people have said it's really not needed, so helpful to know your view.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I do have a sink stopper listed, just a flat piece of rubber. I know some people have said it's really not needed, so helpful to know your view.

You've just saved 111g for the sports shorts, so 11g for the sink plug is well worth taking IMHO.
I know it's 'just in case' but clothes have to be washed, and stuffing a sock in the plug hole doesn't sound like much fun ;)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Zzotte
I for one thought the cash and credit cards could stay home and reduce the weight :D

I'm glad you're taking a uke, even though it adds to the weight. One can get obsessed (I put my hand up to that - my list goes into the same detail). A bit of home-made music lightens up the day (especially if your playing is half decent!).

You might consider putting all the maps on the phone and leave the tablet. I had both on the first Camino, and on subsequent trips I just used the phone, especially now that there are several good apps for this. And if you find the text too small (or if your phone screen is too low resolution), then a small michelin map book is also worth considering.

Finally, you can weed out extra cables and chargers if your phone and camera use the same type.
E.g. the Sony WX 350.

Last edited:
I for one thought the cash and credit cards could stay home and reduce the weight :D

You right I never thought of that, with everything she taking who needs cash or credit cards :) (minus the labels of course) I for one would never do that, I would be wearing all my clothing backwards hahaha

zzotte

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You've just saved 111g for the sports shorts, so 11g for the sink plug is well worth taking IMHO.
I know it's 'just in case' but clothes have to be washed, and stuffing a sock in the plug hole doesn't sound like much fun ;)
A wet sock in a thin baggie works well too.

I have carried spare bootlaces on numerous caminos/walks and have never needed them. Now I leave them at home. If I do manage to break one I will tie a knot in it until I get to the next village to buy more.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm glad you're taking a uke, even though it adds to the weight. One can get obsessed (I put my hand up to that - my list goes into the same detail). A bit of home-made music lightens up the day (especially if your playing is half decent!).

You might consider putting all the maps on the phone and leave the tablet. I had both on the first Camino, and on subsequent trips I just used the phone, especially now that there are several good apps for this. And if you find the text too small (or if your phone screen is too low resolution), then a small michelin map book is also worth considering.

Finally, you can weed out extra cables and chargers if your phone and camera use the same type.
E.g. the Sony WX 350.
Thanks for the vote for the ukulele! And that's the reason I'm taking the tablet -- it will have lots of music on it. So for people who want to join in, there should be something we all know.

I was going to bring two cables, but I think you're right and I'll leave one home, along with one of the adapters.

I have carried spare bootlaces on numerous caminos/walks and have never needed them. Now I leave them at home. If I do manage to break one I will tie a knot in it until I get to the next village to buy more.
Off the list!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You right I never thought of that, with everything she taking who needs cash or credit cards :) (minus the labels of course) I for one would never do that, I would be wearing all my clothing backwards hahaha

zzotte
At least everyone knows I'm being completely honest about what's in my pack! :eek: I look at some of the lists and I wonder........

And, to my surprise, I had room to spare, not that I'm going to add anything.:cool:

At least everyone knows I'm being completely honest about what's in my pack! :eek: I look at some of the lists and I wonder........

And, to my surprise, I had room to spare, not that I'm going to add anything.:cool:

Hi Sharon
I have the same backpack as you (also a newbie) and my packing list looks very similar to yours (minus the ukulele ;)), so I feel quietly encouraged atm. We have 5 weeks to go, but unlike you, haven't weighed or packed anything yet. Somehow I don't feel the need now that I have read your list :D:cool:. I particularly like that you had 'room to spare'!!
Thanks for sharing and Buen Camino.
Carol
PS I will definitely be taking my universal sink plug :)

Hi Sharon
I have the same backpack as you (also a newbie) and my packing list looks very similar to yours (minus the ukulele ;)), so I feel quietly encouraged atm. We have 5 weeks to go, but unlike you, haven't weighed or packed anything yet. Somehow I don't feel the need now that I have read your list :D:cool:. I particularly like that you had 'room to spare'!!
Thanks for sharing and Buen Camino.
Carol
PS I will definitely be taking my universal sink plug :)
Thanks for the encouragement, Carol. Buen Camino to you, too. Ultreya!

Seabird I have to give you credit I have never seen a list that so meticulous calculate its impressive :) I actually saved as a file for future reference :) you are right most of us live in weight denial or just don't care, me? I just pile my stuff in and weigh if is high I start to take things off my first camino was 22 lbs, my second 12 now I'm safe and comfortable at 8.5 lbs on my back including all the labels :) plus a little food and water its a little more then I want but early spring the weather its unpredictable I don't count from the skin out as some people do just my thing :)

zzotte

Sharon

Regarding the ukulele, use your free time on the road to practice. If I should ever happen to meet you on the road, this is what I expect to hear:

Regarding the ukulele, use your free time on the road to practice. If I should ever happen to meet you on the road, this is what I expect to hear:
Love it! But wow, no pressure there! At least I'm trying to learn "Ultreia" before I come!

@zzotte - I wish I could do it your way! But my compulsive nature would....well, convulse. Maybe I can develop your confidence.

Hi Seabird, I am so pleased to know that your pack weight is more than 4.5kgs! I dont know how anyone can do it :rolleyes:I was getting a little worried that I cant get under 9kgs, I feel so much better now :) I have printed your list and will use it as my check list. I have 6 weeks to go before I leave and am getting very excited.
Thankyou very much and Buen Camino.

Hi Seabird, I am so pleased to know that your pack weight is more than 4.5kgs! I dont know how anyone can do it :rolleyes:I was getting a little worried that I cant get under 9kgs, I feel so much better now :) I have printed your list and will use it as my check list. I have 6 weeks to go before I leave and am getting very excited.
Thankyou very much and Buen Camino.
Glad you can put it to use! My husband is rather sick of hearing about my list. He was incredulous that I had posted it. He'd be more likely to throw it all in (and I do mean all) and start walking. Buen Camino to you, too.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Don't knock cutting of labels/tags. Remember it was the last straw that broke the camel's back. Don't forget to either cut your toothbrush handle down to half size and/or drill holes to further reduce weight. I am seriously considering not shaving or washing for the 35 days to save having to carry a shaver, shaving foam or soap. It will also mean I'll probably have a lot of space around me in the Albergues...................;)
Only joking. I'm saving a few grams here and there and then debating whether to bring my ipad with me rather than have to carry info on Albergues/Refuges/Casa Rurals, Brierley Guide, camera and phone. Then I think to myself, if I asked nicely would someone let me use their tablet. All the technology stuff weighs a fair bit but is so useful. The real question is, " Do I want to lug it 500 miles and risk it being nicked?"

Gosh, your initial post has really garnered the cream of the crop concerning what to pack or not.
Here's my two cents: the night before you depart...unpack one more time and, this time, take out that one "might need" you just can't seem to pitch...pitch it!
Buen Camino,

Arn

I'm saving a few grams here and there and then debating whether to bring my ipad with me rather than have to carry info on Albergues/Refuges/Casa Rurals, Brierley Guide, camera and phone. Then I think to myself, if I asked nicely would someone let me use their tablet. All the technology stuff weighs a fair bit but is so useful. The real question is, " Do I want to lug it 500 miles and risk it being nicked?"
I thought about getting an older tablet to bring, with less worry about it disappearing. But this new Samsung is so light, so lovely, I decided it was really the best option. Weighs less than the Brierley guide. I wish I could give up the camera, but I hate taking pictures with tablets and phones. And my camera is waterproof.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I've been meaning to ask: How is everyone weighing their things? I mean, some of my stuff has a weight included when ordering or on the original packaging (in ounces as I'm American). Are people using a food scale or something?

I've been meaning to ask: How is everyone weighing their things? I mean, some of my stuff has a weight included when ordering or on the original packaging (in ounces as I'm American). Are people using a food scale or something?
Using food scales, as Bathroom scales won't weigh anything that light.

Using food scales, as Bathroom scales won't weigh anything that light.

That's what I thought. I might have to borrow someone's to make it easier on what to leave behind. I was just going to weigh my total pack on the bathroom scale and hope it was around 15 pounds or so!

That's what I thought. I might have to borrow someone's to make it easier what to leave behind. I was just going to weigh my total pack on the bathroom scale and hope it was around 15 pounds or so!
That works too, but if you weigh things individually, you can decide it something is worth it. Lots of little things can really add up. I'm getting ready for my first Camino too. I leave in May. I am not freaking out about every little thing, because it will drive me crazy, (a short trip) just when I think I've got things figured out, something happens. I just found the perfect shoe that I had almost broken in, and it started a cracking/snapping sound in the left shoe. I had to take them back. Can you imagine listening to a snap for 500 miles??:confused:

Last edited:
That works too, but if you weight things individually, you can decide it something is worth it. Lots of little things can really add up. I'm getting ready for my first Camino too. I leave in May. I am not freaking out about every little thing, because it will drive me crazy, (a short trip) just when I think I've got things figured out, something happens. I just found the perfect shoe that I had almost broken in, and it started a cracking/snapping sound in the left shoe. I had to take them back. Can you imagine listening to a snap for 500 miles??:confused:

I know what you mean. I've learned to chill about some things. Right now the only thing I'm "stressing over" is what kind of clothing to bring. We're leaving the end of May and walking all through June, and I don't know how hot or cold it will be. Looking at past years, it seems like it's 65-80 the whole way, but many on here talk about how hot it can get in summer. Granted, it may depend on where they are from, and it seems many on this forum are from Canada and the UK, so 80 probably does seem hot to them! I asked my walking companion about his clothing, so I have a slightly better idea on what I will be taking along.

Thanks for the reply!

In general, do not take anything that you "might" need. Put the things you "will" use in a pile (sleeping bag, socks, toothbrush, poncho, etc.). Leave everything else behind!!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I've been using a food scale. I use a big bowl to hold the bigger items. The pack weight, though, was based on the manufacturer's statement.

My thoughts, for what they are worth. Overall, I'd reevaluate all of the little stuff--I sort of think you are being weighted down by Lilliputians.

1). Compactor bags are better liners than garbage bags, especially for long trips like this. Much more durable.
2) sleeping bag and sleep sack redundant
3) start really looking at the little stuff, like the change purse (ziplock), carbiner (bit of string), S hooks (ditto), sport (they have cutlery), sink stopper (use a sock or bandana), binder clips
4) that's a lot of duct tape. They have it in Spain.
5) more safety pins (you'll lose a few)
6) whistle/compass/thermometer--you can yell louder than you can whistle, the sun rises in the east and sets in the west, and you don't want to know how hot it can get. also avoids the stretch clip.
7) laundry detergent--just wash in the sink with the same soap you shower with. If you hit a laundry mat, usually detergent either comes with it, or your can buy it.
8) Pstyle--forget it. They don't work.
9) definitely too much rain gear. For a summer Camino, poncho worked better because the rain was so warm. I'm not so sure about April. Rain pants and jacket are not to keep you dry--they are to keep you warm. If you think you'll get cold rain, I might go with them and lose the poncho. Loose the gaiters in either event--use only for snow.
10) two things for your bottom half--not shorts, and long pants, and capris, and leggings, and a skirt; same for top (not long sleeve, and T shirt, and cami)
11) no separate sleepwear--sleep in the clothes for the next day.
12) a rainjacket is a warmth layer. Leave the Northface, take the fleece.
13) not neckerchief, and handkerchief, and scarf--pick one
14) lose the beanie
15) lose the toiletries bag (ziploc)
16) my gut says you have too many toiletries
17) lose the tennis ball (use a waterbottle)
18) An ounce and half of iboprofen?? Look at all toiletries and medicines and take just enough that if you need them, you can get to the next town with a farmacia (almost every town). You have over 2 pounds of toiletries and medical supplies. Way too much.
19) the cell phone or the tablet--not both. Definitely lose the stand for the Galaxy tablet.
20) love the ukulele. I carried a native american flute, and playing in all of the open churches.
21) lose the pillow--the alburgues have them
22) lose the monocular. I used to carry one, but just did not use it enough to make it worth while. There is almost nothing you will need this for on the Camino.

Final thought--I worried too much about what I was packing and not nearly enough about what was on my feet. You can reconsider your pack as you go (mail extra stuff to Ivar or home). Repairing feet is much harder and more painful.

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

That works too, but if you weight things individually, you can decide it something is worth it.
It also means you slip further and further into CGOD (camino gram obsessive disorder), which afflicts so many of us in our preparations.

This disorder triggers the pleasure centers of the brain with endless comparisons of gear on the gram scale, and it distorts the critical thinking center of the brain by rationalizing dysfunctional purchasing decisions of hundreds of dollars to save dozens of grams. It's a sad, sad addiction for pilgrims worldwide, and there is no known treatment. Suffering from excess weight strengthens the compulsions, and the lack of suffering justifies them.

Common signs of the disorder are excessive worry over minutia, and excessive pride in one's accomplishments and packing choices.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It also means you slip further and further into CGOD (camino gram obsessive disorder), which afflicts so many of us in our preparations.

This disorder triggers the pleasure centers of the brain with endless comparisons of gear on the gram scale, and it distorts the critical thinking center of the brain by rationalizing dysfunctional purchasing decisions of hundreds of dollars to save dozens of grams. It's a sad, sad addiction for pilgrims worldwide, and there is no known treatment. Suffering from excess weight strengthens the compulsions, and the lack of suffering justifies them.

Common signs of the disorder are excessive worry over minutia, and excessive pride in one's accomplishments and packing choices.

This comment made me laugh out loud, It is SO true. You put my thoughts into words beautifully.
I have 6 weeks to go and am packing and re packing every weekend - and loving it ! (as Max would say):D

I am in awe of your list. There were quite a few things I didn't even recognise. Hope I don't need those! I too am 6 weeks from leaving for Spain and besides shoes, pacer poles (fabulous) and two merino t's, short and long, I have done nothing. I'm concentrating at the moment on reducing a different kind of weight load? Off my backside! Dragging it up the steep hills of Toowoomba is having the desired effect, but what a haul. Good luck with all your preparations. Every aspect of this journey is so exciting.

My thoughts, for what they are worth. Overall, I'd reevaluate all of the little stuff--I sort of think you are being weighted down by Lilliputians.

1). Compactor bags are better liners than garbage bags, especially for long trips like this. Much more durable.
2) sleeping bag and sleep sack redundant
3) start really looking at the little stuff, like the change purse (ziplock), carbiner (bit of string), S hooks (ditto), sport (they have cutlery), sink stopper (use a sock or bandana), binder clips
4) that's a lot of duct tape. They have it in Spain.
5) more safety pins (you'll lose a few)
6) whistle/compass/thermometer--you can yell louder than you can whistle, the sun rises in the east and sets in the west, and you don't want to know how hot it can get. also avoids the stretch clip.
7) laundry detergent--just wash in the sink with the same soap you shower with. If you hit a laundry mat, usually detergent either comes with it, or your can buy it.
8) Pstyle--forget it. They don't work.
9) definitely too much rain gear. For a summer Camino, poncho worked better because the rain was so warm. I'm not so sure about April. Rain pants and jacket are not to keep you dry--they are to keep you warm. If you think you'll get cold rain, I might go with them and lose the poncho. Loose the gaiters in either event--use only for snow.
10) two things for your bottom half--not shorts, and long pants, and capris, and leggings, and a skirt; same for top (not long sleeve, and T shirt, and cami)
11) no separate sleepwear--sleep in the clothes for the next day.
12) a rainjacket is a warmth layer. Leave the Northface, take the fleece.
13) not neckerchief, and handkerchief, and scarf--pick one
14) lose the beanie
15) lose the toiletries bag (ziploc)
16) my gut says you have too many toiletries
17) lose the tennis ball (use a waterbottle)
18) An ounce and half of iboprofen?? Look at all toiletries and medicines and take just enough that if you need them, you can get to the next town with a farmacia (almost every town). You have over 2 pounds of toiletries and medical supplies. Way too much.
19) the cell phone or the tablet--not both. Definitely lose the stand for the Galaxy tablet.
20) love the ukulele. I carried a native american flute, and playing in all of the open churches.
21) lose the pillow--the alburgues have them
22) lose the monocular. I used to carry one, but just did not use it enough to make it worth while. There is almost nothing you will need this for on the Camino.

Final thought--I worried too much about what I was packing and not nearly enough about what was on my feet. You can reconsider your pack as you go (mail extra stuff to Ivar or home). Repairing feet is much harder and more painful.

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

Wow, @Jo Jo! You are one tough taskmaster! I love it, thanks for taking the time. Will seriously consider your suggestions. Of course, much of what is on my list is based on the suggestions made in all the many threads I read on what to bring for a springtime camino..... But I plan to take everything out of the pack, hold each item, and let it tell me whether I really need to bring it. I've already deleted a half-pound, so we'll see what else!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Definitely. Definitely Rain Man.

That's awesome! Especially the part where we can share our dysfunction with others and the illness spreads!

On a serious note, it's nice that you can have a master gear list, and move things in and out of the expedition list - so you can quickly update your list if the weather or circumstances change. Very clever but simple.

We're definitely locked in this box with no TV.

Agreed. I use a spreadsheet with a lot of conditional logic that allows me to select off a master gear list and equip up to three people. Lots of categorization for pivot tables.

What's nice about the geargrams is anyone can use it without having to know Excel.

Agreed. I use a spreadsheet with a lot of conditional logic that allows me to select off a master gear list and equip up to three people. Lots of categorization for pivot tables.

What's nice about the geargrams is anyone can use it without having to know Excel.
People like me...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

WHAT?! Really? Please, do post it! Would love to see the fancy formulas.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Oh please, email Ivar and let him know! ;)
Try this. You'll need to remove the pdf extension so that it has the .xslx extension. You probably want to do that before Ivar bans me from the forum for bad behavior. (and for hijacking this thread)

Attachments

• Camino Path with Joel v.0.3.3.a.xlsx.pdf
    236.4 KB · Views: 39
Try this. You'll need to remove the pdf extension so that it has the .xslx extension. You probably want to do that before Ivar bans me from the forum for bad behavior. (and for hijacking this thread)
Right, Ibooks does not like you. Will try Word in the am.

It will have to be Microsoft Excel, or a spreadsheet with ability to import its formulas with fidelity.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi! This reminds me of how everyones Camino is their own. And packing is the most personal part. I look at everything in my pack like it weighs 50 pounds each because after a few miles of hiking, it always does to me. So I have always been a minimalist. My husband is the opposite, if he thinks he might need it, it goes. It was a great metaphor for our relationship and walking the Camino really helped us to accept each other. I understand that pull of wanting to take things in case you might need it, but also being concerned about the weight. Something I learned was to be open to shuttling your bag ahead if you find it is too heavy but you cant seem to part with enough stuff. After your first Camino, you will know what you need. But for the first one, it is almost imoossible to know. You can pay at every albergue to have it sent forward and just take a day pack. The cost is about 7 euros each time (in 2014) and then 5 euros each time after Sarria. If you miss where you think you are going to be, you can almost always take a taxi to pick up your bag and go back to wherever you end up staying.

That said, some advice I would give:

If you want to take tape..duct tape or first aid...try wrapping some around the handle of your pole. You wont feel the weight and it will be available when you need it. Also, dont take too much. You probably wont need it and you can buy more any place along the way.

I used a ziploc bag for my passport, money and change. kept it in a zipped pocket on me or with me all the time. They are pretty sturdy, waterproof, and you can alway change it out if it gets worn. I doubt you need a money belt, change purse, etc.

Unless you have used a water waist pack before and like it, you might not need one. Put a water bottle in your bag that you buy there. Fill it up at the albergue before you leave in the morning. Take two of them crossing the meseta.

If you have an IPhone, you dont need a flashlite. I think there is an app that works that way.

yeah clothes pins. We also took a lot of binder clips...never used them.

If you need a laundry bag, you have too many clothes☺☺ ha. But you really just need ziploc gallon size bags. Very light weight. I kept all my spare clothes in them. It kept them clean and organized. I washed what I wore each night, so only had 2 changes of clothes - the ones I hiked in and the ones I lounged it at albergues.

My husband got rid of his walking shoes because of the extra weight. We both only had our hiking shoes and flip flops.

Very complete list. Thanks for sharing it. I concur with other writers about not needing an IPhone and a tablet. We used my husbands Iphone for the Internet and it worked well. Make sure to get a Spain Sim card for your phone when you get there. Much cheaper than any international plan. And consider buying Voltaren when you get to Spain. It is like an ibuprofen cream they sell in the pharmacies - wonderful for sore leg and other muscles.

Buen Camino

Last edited:
A Gramweenie here, digital scales and a gear spreadsheet used. A good list, some of these might duplicate other replies. .
With a poncho a Rainwrap instead of rain pants. Smaller towel? Some manage a bandana ,even half ! Dr Bronners soap for all soap needs. One T shirt if you can. Water on shoulder strap holder-so no water waist pack. Phone and camera combined less gadgets/ chargers. Put day clothes in stuff sack instead of pillow.
I have the lighter Zlite ArcBlast pack, the pack has hip belt pockets and I keep bugs and feet treatment in a Ziploc in there and a 30z first aid kit so things can be treated quickly.

I forgot to say. If you are really keen put your gear list into three piles. 1. Essentials. 2. Might wants. 3. Nice to haves. Then ditch piles 2 and 3. First aid and safety items go in list 1.

You need a sleeping bag or at least a liner. Get a thin bag, most albergues are on the warm side. Use a drybag rather than black bags. Nasty noisy things. Buy half litre bottles of mineral water then refill them. There are post offices in Spain, you can send stuff home if you decide you have got too much.
If you are on Camino Frances, there are shops everywhere. It's not the third world. You don't need to throw money at the packing list, just revise your ambitions of being the world's best prepared and equipped Pilgrim. Though i can't preach, i NEVER walk without my coffee filter and teeny tiny stove Coffee IS essential, when I want it, not when the cafe is open. . I'm still below 7 kg, which any normal person should be okay with. That includes the coffee. I'll be on the Levante in two weeks. Bring your own sugar, i don't use it.

Sharon
Well Sharon you just put a giant smile in my face. I am starting my first Camino in late April and the preparing I am doing, all the stuff I am reading, etc etc I swear I am over the top and will need the Camino just to relax me. But to see that you have actually weighed every item is quite unique! Good for you Sharon. Have a great adventure.

Hi! Couldn't read the original list as it had to be downloaded, something that I never do. So I can only comment on comments :)
"you can yell louder than you can whistle" - if thats true, you need a better whistle. From those that can carry the sound over 1-2km.
Sun cream doesn't double as face cream. Unfortunately. You will need both. Promise.
Farmacies. True, there are good farmacies in every town. Still do take enough first aid to carry you there. It may be 17km away (longest stretch) or it may be Sunday or both.
Sleeping bag. Take it if you are even a little afraid of cold. I found the albergues suffocating but not warm. Also I had a T-dress to wear in evenings and to sleep in. Liked it.
I find it funny how obsessed the British get over sink plugs, this comes up in every packing list discussion. There is clean running water in taps, no need to keep the dirty water to wash clothes in.

@minaleigh: last year the weather in May-June was everything imaginable. I saw snow in Pyrenees, cold wind, sometimes I had on all I had - t-shirt, hoodie, wind jacket and rain poncho (to keep warm), woolen glowes. And also over +30, the sun was doing all it could to fry all the pilgrims.

Hi! Couldn't read the original list as it had to be downloaded, something that I never do. So I can only comment on comments :)
"you can yell louder than you can whistle" - if thats true, you need a better whistle. From those that can carry the sound over 1-2km.
Sun cream doesn't double as face cream. Unfortunately. You will need both. Promise.
Farmacies. True, there are good farmacies in every town. Still do take enough first aid to carry you there. It may be 17km away (longest stretch) or it may be Sunday or both.
Sleeping bag. Take it if you are even a little afraid of cold. I found the albergues suffocating but not warm. Also I had a T-dress to wear in evenings and to sleep in. Liked it.
I find it funny how obsessed the British get over sink plugs, this comes up in every packing list discussion. There is clean running water in taps, no need to keep the dirty water to wash clothes in.

@minaleigh: last year the weather in May-June was everything imaginable. I saw snow in Pyrenees, cold wind, sometimes I had on all I had - t-shirt, hoodie, wind jacket and rain poncho (to keep warm), woolen glowes. And also over +30, the sun was doing all it could to fry all the pilgrims.

Hi everyone and @SeaHorse,

I will be starting off from SJPdP on 15th May and aim to arrive at SDC at the end of June.

Would you advice travelling without a sleeping bag? My original plan was not to carry one, but, reading the many packing lists on this forum, it seems that it is somewhat a necessity.

I'm from the tropics, and am used to sleeping in temperatures of around 30 degrees C.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks.

daniel

I will be starting off from SJPdP on 15th May and aim to arrive at SDC at the end of June.

Would you advice travelling without a sleeping bag? My original plan was not to carry one, but, reading the many packing lists on this forum, it seems that it is somewhat a necessity.

I'm from the tropics, and am used to sleeping in temperatures of around 30 degrees C.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks.

daniel
I would take the bag. I had mine and next time will surely have it. Even while we had temperatures over +30*C the bag was necessary. Especially after a day's walk I felt a little feverish in the evenings and wrapped myself in the bag+fleece hoodie+everything else I had that wasn't on the washing line at the moment. Red wine helped too. A lot of it. More the better. And sleeping on top beds close to open windows to have more fresh air.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks.

daniel

I grew up in South Africa and even after living in the UK for the last 26 years I still feel the cold. I walked my first camino from SJPdP in April - May 2014 and was glad of my lightweight down bag especially the night at Orisson - it was cold in that room with only slats for windows - I had to put on more layers of clothing to stay warm.
In many other albergues I just used the silk sleeping bag liner with the sleeping bag opened up like a quilt.
It gave me a sense of privacy and it was also pre-treated against bedbugs - perhaps a false sense of security but nice just the same. My experience in many albergues was that people often wanted to close all the windows and then it may get stuffy. Still I'd rather have my own bag than take my chances that the albergue will have a blanket each time.

So I recommend taking the sleeping bag - however in common with everything else in your pack the sleeping bag should be as light as possible. This bag is only 750 gram and offers good value for money - I've just ordered it to replace my first one, which was 900 g:

https://www.lifeventure.com/products/sleepgear/sleeplight-sleeping-bags

Last edited:

Weigh yourself + pack on scale... then just weigh yourself and subtract that.

I'm using a food scale.

I would take the bag. I had mine and next time will surely have it. Even while we had temperatures over +30*C the bag was necessary. Especially after a day's walk I felt a little feverish in the evenings and wrapped myself in the bag+fleece hoodie+everything else I had that wasn't on the washing line at the moment. Red wine helped too. A lot of it. More the better. And sleeping on top beds close to open windows to have more fresh air.

Hi @SeaHorse,

Thank you for your advice on the sleeping bag, and the red wine!

;)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I grew up in South Africa and even after living in the UK for the last 26 years I still feel the cold. I walked my first camino from SJPdP in April - May 2014 and was glad of my lightweight down bag especially the night at Orisson - it was cold in that room with only slats for windows - I had to put on more layers of clothing to stay warm.
In many other albergues I just used the silk sleeping bag liner with the sleeping bag opened up like a quilt.
It gave me a sense of privacy and it was also pre-treated against bedbugs - perhaps a false sense of security but nice just the same. My experience in many albergues was that people often wanted to close all the windows and then it may get stuffy. Still I'd rather have my own bag than take my chances that the albergue will have a blanket each time.

So I recommend taking the sleeping bag - however in common with everything else in your pack the sleeping bag should be as light as possible. This bag is only 750 gram and offers good value for money - I've just ordered it to replace my first one, which was 900 g:

https://www.lifeventure.com/products/sleepgear/sleeplight-sleeping-bags

Hi @gidivet,

Thank you for your advice!

:)

Ok everyone. I think I'm done fretting about my pack.... I have made additional cuts and my pack weight is now 5.96 kg, down from 7.02kg. This weight presumes I am carrying all my cold weather and rain gear in the pack, rather than wearing it.

I decided not to bring the rain pants, which were 201 g. Also dropped the sleeping shorts (111g) and pack cover (100g). The rest was substituting lighter options, cutting down the size of my towel and all-purpose cloth, eliminating things, and other small changes that added up to about 1.1 kg.

This weight does not include water or snacks. It also does not include my front waist pack (I described it as a water pack, because it will hold my water bottles), which is another 1.37 kg, for a total of 7.33 kg. And of course boots and poles.

One week to go and I can't wait!

Most read last week in this forum

**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
I had bought the long Camino banner-style map in Santiago and finally got around to having it framed. The framers managed to tear my map and I'm in need of a replacement. Does anyone know where...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.