• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Frances for my 50th

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi I’m walking the Frances coming from st Jean...via Paris starting April 29 2020. Then spending a week in Portugal after I’m done. Walking Solo for my 50th. I’m so excited to meet you all!
Shireen
I did the same thing - a milestone for my half-century. Enjoy it, I'm sure you won't regret it.

Buen Camino!

Hi I’m walking the Frances coming from st Jean...via Paris starting April 29 2020. Then spending a week in Portugal after I’m done. Walking Solo for my 50th. I’m so excited to meet you all!
Shireen

Welcome to the forum Shireen!

Happy planning and Buen Camino!

Davey

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I did my first Camino for my 50th, then repeated for my wife's 50th.
Have a great time...buen camino

Shireen
I did walk before I turned 50. Promised this in my early 20s to myself.
And made it.

Will you walk the Frances or the Norte? You give differing infos.
Either way you will have great fun and great experiences.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Shireen

I'll be walking next spring too, but will be a mere 49 years old. ;) Have fun!

Welcome Shireen,
Enjoy the planning and training and your Camino. No matter how old enjoy your adventure!
Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I did the same thing - a milestone for my half-century. Enjoy it, I'm sure you won't regret it.

Buen Camino!

Me too! Except I arrived at the Cathedral on my 60th birthday.

They even used the Botafumeiro at that noon mass in the Cathedral... Lucky me!

It was one heck of a welcome ceremony... It was humbling as I was celebrating the first half of my life... on my 60th birthday...

Just trying to remain optimistic.;)

Last edited:
Shireen
I cannot think of a better thing to do on a significant birthday, it will be absolutely fantastic. Happy Birthday (when it comes) and Buen Camino

Hi Shireen! Excellent plan!! One note is that i started this year from SJPP on April 28 and there was quite a large surge of people that weekend. I think its Mothers Day in France or Spain.I recommend highly having reservations in advance all the way to Pamplona because of the crowd. Otherwise the weather was great. There was snow and hazardous conditions over the top on Day One the previous week but was clear and windy on the 28th.

Two recommendations. 1. Arrive in SJPP on one day, get in the long line at the Pilgrim Office and spend the night across the way from the Pilgrim Office at Beilari Albergue. You will not regret it! Reservations way in advance required.

2. To prepare for the camino and especially that first day, I suggest lots and lots and lots of walking and stair climbing. If there is a football stadium near your home go there and practice walking and even running the steps.

Buen camino!!!
Tom

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I did walk before I turned 50. Promised this in my early 20s to myself.
And made it.

Will you walk the Frances or the Norte? You give differing infos.
Either way you will have great fun and great experiences.
Sorry I was set on the Norte but was convinced by a veteran Pelegrína to do the Frances. I think it’s the right decision for me!

I think thats a good choice. I recently walked 5 days on Norte. Frances is definately a good choice for your first. I went whole days without seeing another pilgrim and the route is often not clearly marked

Shireen
Oh dear beware! My first Camino, the Frances was in 2006, to celebrate my 50th too. I have been walking pilgrim routes ever since...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am celebrating my 50th in the same way but starting from Valencia a week before you. Something tells me you’ll make it to Astorga before me!
Enjoy!!

@asb6918 , kia ora (greetings, good health)

@Zordmot has summed up a training regime very succinctly. If you are challenged for hills to walk up, stair climbing is more than an excellent alternative.

I would put some flesh on his training framework by including:
1) always wear your pack filled with the goodies you want/need,
2) work towards achieving, before stopping for breakfast:
2a) 15 km (10 miles);
2b) 400 m of elevation gain.
These are intended to help condition both mind and body to the conditions you will encounter.

Being of the female persuasion I am sure you automatically think of layers to keep warm relative to the conditions.

For me I have four layers with my wet/wind proof layer also being my outer warmth layer. And your training will help you decide what works for you.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I will be doing the same in July. Happy planning, buen camino and a wonderful 50th birthday to you!

Shireen

Hola, starting on April 29 will mean that you will be somewhere between Zubiri and Pamplona when May 1st (May Day) public holiday comes along. Whilst ATM/Cash Points will still work at Banks local shops may be closed. You might need to stock up for your lunch times. There is a bonus - you can join the locals in their celebration.

Shireen
So excited for you. I will be waking for my 60th solo. June 1st. Delighted for you.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Shireen
I’m starting on March 22nd and turn 50 before my start date. Due to my multiple sclerosis and history with it, I’m walking very slowly. Today marked a milestone for me. If I could not walk home from the gym, I would not go. Well, I made it. Buen Camino!

Beware.

I started my first camino shortly before my 50th birthday nearly 9 years ago, assuming it would be a one-off, get the t-shirt, tick that off the bucket list.

It wasn't. I've been back every year since. It's as addictive as heroin.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back