• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help me get to SJPP from Germany (cheaply too?)

MCVet

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked (2012)
So from my understanding there's a myriad of options from Bayonne to SJPP. Taxi, which I assume is expensive. Railway, which from what I understand isn't working because it's under construction through July? And Bus, which...I know nothing about.

My current plan is, since I'm coming from Germany, to hook a night train from Utrecht (Netherlands, actually) to Bayonne. I figure I should still have an extra day left on my Eurorail pass to do this, at least I hope so because the prices are....not what they were a few months ago (150 euros vs the 40 it was...even though you couldn't even book back then). Once I get there, I don't know. The booking sites show that there's trains working (and they're cheap, like 7 euros!) but I read on this forum that they're broken currently or some such. Don't really know how railways work TBH so no idea if it's possible to have them open and work on them at the same time.

Anyhow, failing that, how do you get there? I read in the past that there was a bus, but that that too is no longer running. Taxis are an arm and a leg I assume so that's not an option I don't think.

Also can someone explain train pricing to me? We don't really have much in the way of public transportation in the states (at least not the part I'm from), so what happens to prices? I've already seen a huge 110 euro increase since the last time I priced them (Dec 2011) so I'm wondering if I should try and book now (though IIRC you can't do so until 6 weeks prior to your leave date? (Jun 10)) or wait to see if they go down. I'm under 26 so that helps, but I wouldn't mind cheaper. Can't seem to find a Ryanair flight to Bayonne/Biarritz from Germany either.

Also, one last question, but typically how far in advance do you have to book things? Like for staying in SJPP at l'Espiit du Chemin, do I have to book several months in advance? Weeks? Days? Just wondering what kind of flexibility I have if I miss a train or something goes wrong.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
MCVet said:
So from my understanding there's a myriad of options from Bayonne to SJPP. Taxi, which I assume is expensive. Railway, which from what I understand isn't working because it's under construction through July? And Bus, which...I know nothing about.

My current plan is, since I'm coming from Germany, to hook a night train from Utrecht (Netherlands, actually) to Bayonne. I figure I should still have an extra day left on my Eurorail pass to do this, at least I hope so because the prices are....not what they were a few months ago (150 euros vs the 40 it was...even though you couldn't even book back then). Once I get there, I don't know. The booking sites show that there's trains working (and they're cheap, like 7 euros!) but I read on this forum that they're broken currently or some such. Don't really know how railways work TBH so no idea if it's possible to have them open and work on them at the same time.

Anyhow, failing that, how do you get there? I read in the past that there was a bus, but that that too is no longer running. Taxis are an arm and a leg I assume so that's not an option I don't think.

Also can someone explain train pricing to me? We don't really have much in the way of public transportation in the states (at least not the part I'm from), so what happens to prices? I've already seen a huge 110 euro increase since the last time I priced them (Dec 2011) so I'm wondering if I should try and book now (though IIRC you can't do so until 6 weeks prior to your leave date? (Jun 10)) or wait to see if they go down. I'm under 26 so that helps, but I wouldn't mind cheaper. Can't seem to find a Ryanair flight to Bayonne/Biarritz from Germany either.

Also, one last question, but typically how far in advance do you have to book things? Like for staying in SJPP at l'Espiit du Chemin, do I have to book several months in advance? Weeks? Days? Just wondering what kind of flexibility I have if I miss a train or something goes wrong.

Hello,

The TER train line 62 connecting Bayonne to SJPdP is presently undergoing work.

Through 7 July 2012 the basic departure schedule leaves Bayonne at the following times.
Bayonne/Baiona 07.48/ 08.19/ 11.51/ 15.05/ 18.10/ 21.09
All trains do NOT go every day.

Up to date TER line 62 information can be found at this link
http://telechargement.ter-sncf.com/Imag ... -67795.pdf

Any changes to the schedule for the month of June when you leave could be posted later.
There is no standard bus service from Bayonne to SJPdP. However sometimes trains are replaced by buses (autocars) and will be listed on the updated schedule. Tickets for the TER trains or the autocars can be purchased at the Bayonne rr station counter.

As for traveling to Bayonne from Utrecht I assume that the night train connects in Paris with the night train from Paris Austerlitz to Bayonne.

Long distance train travel in France becomes more expensive the closer you book to the time of departure. That is not the case with TER short distance trains.

Since June will be a busy month I would advise booking your albergue in SJPdP as soon as possible.

Bon Voyage and Buen Camino!

Margaret

Hi MCVet,

You could check with http://www.expressbourricot.com/ to see if more people are being picked up at Bayonne on your arrival date, it's cheaper than a taxi and also gets cheaper the more people you are. Send Caroline an e-mail to check.

I would book L’Esprit du Chemin as soon as possible if you really want to stay there it will probably fill upp within the next month or so, May is already fully booked on a lot of dates.

Buen camino! Therese

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back