• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hiking Poles with Angled Grips similar to Pacer Poles?

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2022
I'm looking at buying some hiking poles. I'm thinking about Pacer polls. And when I look at pictures of them, it seems that it's the angle of the handle that makes those polls different. I'm almost sure I saw some poles in a Spanish Decathlon with similar handles, but I'm not finding that on the decathlon.es website.

Does anybody know of other companies using similar designs in a more economical pole? With the angled grip?

The reason I ask this is that I seem to always misplace things like hiking poles or umbrellas. I kind of hate to buy something a bit pricey (about $150 to the US) that my history predicts that I will lose later!

(and as an aside, there seems to be a walking pole sub-forum, but there was no option to place this question in that particular sub-forum. Only Equipment and Clothes. Is there something I'm missing on how to do this? I did try to tag this thread either hiking or walking poles...)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have Pacer Poles, and I love them. I checked out those angle grip poles at a Decathlon store, and the grip really isn't comparable to Pacer Poles. The handles of Pacer Poles kindle of cradle your hands - you don't have to really "grip" them.

You could try something like these from Amazon. Or to save money Pacer Poles sells just the top section of their poles that you can attach to poles of your choice.

I have Pacer Poles, and I love them. I checked out those angle grip poles at a Decathlon store, and the grip really isn't comparable to Pacer Poles. The handles of Pacer Poles kindle of cradle your hands - you don't have to really "grip" them.

You could try something like these from Amazon. Or to save money Pacer Poles sells just the top section of their poles that you can attach to poles of your choice.

I'm gearing up to give the Camino France another hiking try early next year. I have a lot of foot and knee/hip problems, and the doctor I've been working with recommends hiking poles for me.

I assume you also used regular poles in the past? Did you feel that the Pacer poles were more comfortable on your feet and knees because of the straighter stance? There seem to be a lot of positive reviews.

Since I've been scouring the Internet this morning, I think you're right that there are no really similar poles. They do seem to have a nice trial option at Pacer. Maybe I'll just order them and a couple of other cheaper ones from Amazon ( the angled ones you linked to and some straight ones as well) and try them all out. And see if it really makes a difference. If they reduce my pain more, it would be worth it for me, even if I had to replace them regularly!

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
(and as an aside, there seems to be a walking pole sub-forum, but there was no option to place this question in that particular sub-forum. Only Equipment and Clothes. Is there something I'm missing on how to do this? I did try to tag this thread either hiking or walking poles...)
This thread is in the correct place. It just needs the tag "poles", which is now under the title of the thread, so it will show up in the sub-forum called "Walking Poles". (It is true that the different terms might be confusing.)

I assume you also used regular polls in the past? Did you feel that the Pacer poles were more comfortable on your feet and knees because of the straighter stance
No, I had never used any kind of poles before my first Camino. I chose Pacer Poles because they seemed "idiot proof." 😄
I don't think that there would be much difference between Pacer Poles and regular poles for your feet and knees.

I'm looking at buying some hiking poles. I'm thinking about Pacer polls. And when I look at pictures of them, it seems that it's the angle of the handle that makes those polls different. I'm almost sure I saw some poles in a Spanish Decathlon with similar handles, but I'm not finding that on the decathlon.es website.

Does anybody know of other companies using similar designs in a more economical pole? With the angled grip?

The reason I ask this is that I seem to always misplace things like hiking poles or umbrellas. I kind of hate to buy something a bit pricey (about $150 to the US) that my history predicts that I will lose later!

Hi:
Did you try Black Diamond? They do have a model with angled handles(about 30 degrees). I use them, have cork grips. They are not like the Pacer Poles, but at least is something.
Hope this helps your decision.

Iván

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I guess this is what you are looking for. It is from the Spanish Decathlon website.
I am a happy Pacer Pole user myself, but my husband got this model from Decathlon. The grip is not quite as ergonomic as my Pacer Poles' but I would still prefer them to regular poles as I find the hand position far more comfortable and natural. And the price is hard to beat!

I don’t know about other poles with angled, ergonomic grips, but my pacer poles are wonderful. I have carpal tunnel issues and used them nearly every step of my camino with no issues. You don’t have to grip those handles at all. Adjust the straps properly and the side of your palms take the weight securely. Also, when used properly, they can help you gradually lengthen your stride. They help you maintain good posture, and do an awful lot of the uphill work.

A bonus on the camino— it’s highly unlikely that a leave in the dark pilgrim will accidentally take one or both of your poles. I met two peragrinos who lost poles this way.

If you use them every time you have your backpack on, you’re highly unlikely to forget them somewhere, because you’ll notice the difference in how you move fairly quickly.

I guess this is what you are looking for. It is from the Spanish Decathlon website.
I am a happy Pacer Pole user myself, but my husband got this model from Decathlon. The grip is not quite as ergonomic as my Pacer Poles' but I would still prefer them to regular poles as I find the hand position far more comfortable and natural. And the price is hard to beat!
Oh yes! That's exactly what I saw. Thanks! I wonder why it didn't come up when I searched for
"bastones de senderismo," which is "hiking poles?

I checked on the Decathlon site where you can order things in the US where I am, and they didn't list that particular item. They have it in Canada, but they don't deliver to the US.
for reference, it's
FORCLAZ Trekking cane 1 ergonomic unit Forclaz MT100

Or in Spanish: FORCLAZ Bastón de trekking 1 unidad ergonómico Forclaz MT100. €14 (edit 2 for €28)
Bastón de trekking 1 unidad ergonómico Forclaz MT100

And the Pacer Pole. You can see, it is similar, but the Pacer looks more comfortable. And I would imagine is of a higher quality for about 10 (edit: actually 5) times the price. 107 GBP.

1697823235217.png

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I checked on the Decathlon site where you can order things in the US where I am, and they didn't list that particular item. They have it in Canada, but they don't deliver to the US.
for reference, it's

Or in Spanish: FORCLAZ Bastón de trekking 1 unidad ergonómico Forclaz MT100. €14.
If you do buy these, I would be interested to know how well they work for you. I saw them when I was in Portugal earlier in the year, but didn't need another set of poles, and these looked more like walking sticks than trekking poles. It does appear that they will extend to a useful length as a trekking pole for most people, so they could be a good option.

Edit: and to be fair, you will pay 28 Euro for a pair. Pacer poles might four or five times that, but not 10 times.

Last edited:
I am another Incredibly happy PacerPole user and have recommended them to a number of family and friends in New Zealand who are also converts - including my 92-year-old father-in-law and a brother-in-law who has just had open heart surgery and is also managing cancer.
Our family has two sets of PacerPoles and have picked up many other cheaper (and not so cheap) poles over the years - it's only the pacers that get fought over!

If I were you, I would be concentrating on how to develop a system that ensures you don't lose them!
Some suggestions: when you arrive at an albergue, pack them down and stow them inside your backpack.
When you stop for a break when you are walking slip them through a loop on your pack so that you can't walk away without noticing them. Even if it's just for a five minute sit-down.
In fact, if you followed that process religiously, I'm pretty sure you would not lose them.

If you do buy these, I would be interested to know how well they work for you. I saw them when I was in Portugal earlier in the year, but didn't need another set of poles, and these looked more like walking sticks than trekking poles. It does appear that they will extend to a useful length as a trekking pole for most people, so they could be a good option.

Edit: and to be fair, you will pay 28 Euro for a pair. Pacer poles might four or five times that, but not 10 times.
I'll try a little harder to see if I can get them in the US. It hadn't occurred to me but I'm only a few hours from the Canadian border and I might be transiting through Canada by car for a holiday visit. I want to settle on whatever I'm going to use before I go to Spain early next year.

And whoops, I see I got the price comparison wrong, thank you. I added parentheses and an edit in my post.
In fact, if you followed that process religiously, I'm pretty sure you would not lose them.
Ha ha! I'm sure you're right, but eventually, I would screw up. It might not even be the first trip I make. But sooner or later. if I get them, maybe I'll glue a silicon AirTag to each of them!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I believe they can only be bought through the website - and the shipping is a flat rate 8 pounds out of the UK, which seems pretty reasonable. I had mine shipped to New Zealand - no problems.
While you're waiting for them to arrive, you can start some self-talk that goes along the lines of "I AM CAPABLE OF KEEPING THESE SAFE. I WILL BE ABLE TO DO THIS." Go on - you can!!

Just curious about Pacer Poles.
Given that you don't actually grip the handle on hiking poles, as the strap takes all the weight, do pacer poles require a different technique?
With Pacer Poles, it's the "heel" and outer edge of your hand which is cradled in the handle that does the pushing when propulsing yourself forward. The hand itself is relaxed and holds the handle quite loosely. I suffer from ostheoarthritis in my thumbs but can use Pacer Poles comfortably. The straps are not needed while walking.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Given that you don't actually grip the handle on hiking poles, as the strap takes all the weight, do pacer poles require a different technique?
There are videos on the Pacer Pole site that show how they should be used.

Sorry, but you really have to use them to realise how it works! No grasping at all, they just swing forward as you move. Watch the video. it may help understanding.

I use Pacer Poles at home here in Colorado, but I bought some angled grip poles at Decathlon in Madrid. Only 38 Euro each! Just last month. They're great!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have pacer poles and I love them. But the cost of a checked bag to bring them along isn’t feasible when I can buy the ones mentioned above (from Decathlon) for a good price.
I see that you are in Ohio. Unless you are flying on a discount airline, most tickets from the US include one checked bag.

I am a Pacer Pole user who also has a pair of the Decathlon ones. I have used them and let guest use them, but don’t consider them a replacement for my Pacer Poles.
while the handle is turned it isn’t the same as the form fitted handle of the Pacer Poles. If you are tall, the poles don’t adjust tall enough for my husband. I’m sure you can find this info online. If you search around there have been reviews of these poles. If my memory services me there was a lot of mention of the tips wearing off easily.
I always take my Pacer Poles on Camino and always do a “look back” and makes sure I have a my “P”, poles, pack, poncho, passport. (And sunglasses and Hat)
The habit of a “look back” has saved me and my pilgrim friends frequently.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I see that you are in Ohio. Unless you are flying on a discount airline, most tickets from the US include one checked bag.
My experience is that flying economy (or whatever they call the cheap seats) on a major airline does not include a checked bag unless you upgrade and pay for it. I’ve flown to Europe many times and usually I choose not to pay extra because, like I said, it’s not worth it. I also don’t like checking a bag because it’s just easier to do a carry-on. Maybe things are different in Oregon. 😉

Oh yes! That's exactly what I saw. Thanks! I wonder why it didn't come up when I searched for

for reference, it's

Or in Spanish: FORCLAZ Bastón de trekking 1 unidad ergonómico Forclaz MT100. €14 (edit 2 for €28)

And the Pacer Pole. You can see, it is similar, but the Pacer looks more comfortable. And I would imagine is of a higher quality for about 10 (edit: actually 5) times the price. 107 GBP.

View attachment 158871

These Decathon poles are great. Down sides are not sprung and with fixed length adjustment. I have been using them for months after knee replacement BUT depending on your height they may be too short. I am 6’2” and can use the top of the handgrips but they are not long enough to use as standard hiking poles, thus your hands are always on top and the wrists are doing the work.
I have now mastered how to use them without gripping too tightly.
if you have knee issues the ability to place weight directly on top of the pole is a good thing.
also on the plus side they are cheap.

My experience is that flying economy (or whatever they call the cheap seats) on a major airline does not include a checked bag unless you upgrade and pay for it
That's true for the bare bones Basic Economy fares, but standard Economy includes a checked bag and seat selection on major US carriers.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I always take my Pacer Poles on Camino and always do a “look back” and makes sure I have a my “P”, poles, pack, poncho, passport. (And sunglasses and Hat)
I'm pleased to see someone with a 'P' routine. Whenever I stop for coffee, mine are P(ee), Pay and Put a sello in my passport. It works best for me in that order, but it isn't immutable.

These Decathon poles are great. Down sides are not sprung and with fixed length adjustment. I have been using them for months after knee replacement BUT depending on your height they may be too short. I am 6’2” and can use the top of the handgrips but they are not long enough to use as standard hiking poles, thus your hands are always on top and the wrists are doing the work.
I have now mastered how to use them without gripping too tightly.
if you have knee issues the ability to place weight directly on top of the pole is a good thing.
also on the plus side they are cheap.
Thanks for the feedback. So when you say they're not sprung you mean they don't have any spring or give in the polls? I'm just under 6 feet, so I guess they would work for me.

Have you also used regular poles? How do they compare? I am especially interested in taking weight off my knees and feet

Thanks for the feedback. So when you say they're not sprung you mean they don't have any spring or give in the polls? I'm just under 6 feet, so I guess they would work for me.
I expressed caution about this earlier. Let me explain. I'm 174 cm (5' 8.5") and I regularly set my pole at the 105 cm mark for normal walking. This is the maximum extension of the Decathlon walking stick, so I wasn't expecting it would be a good walking pole for anyone taller (than I am). More, I regularly extend my poles to 125 cm and as much as 135 cm for steeper descents. This stops me having to lean forward were I to descend without extending my poles. Clearly that wouldn't be possible with the walking stick.

If you are going to visit Decathlon, and you do find the walking stick unsuitable, you should find that there is a variety of relatively cheap walking poles available as well as this walking stick. I think you would be well served by any of the ones that I have seen recently in Decathlon.

As a hint, while you are there, they have pole tips that appear to be good value. I have been using a pair regularly now for several months, and they are showing little wear. I suggest buying, and carrying, at least one spare pair on your camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

I love my Pacer Poles, have used them fairly extensively while hiking the last few years. Pricey, yes but worth every penny. As you may know, they were developed by a physiotherapist and when paired with her advice on how to use them, makes hills up and down so much easier.

So tape some airtags to your stuff

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I did say that in one of my other posts. It would dd about $25US to the cost of each pole though making them cost about $100 each. And you can still lose them. It's a good idea, though, and I might do that.
Do you think that you would need two Air tags? I mean would you take one pole and leave the other behind??

I expressed caution about this earlier. Let me explain. I'm 174 cm (5' 8.5") and I regularly set my pole at the 105 cm mark for normal walking. This is the maximum extension of the Decathlon walking stick, so I wasn't expecting it would be a good walking pole for anyone taller (than I am). More, I regularly extend my poles to 125 cm and as much as 135 cm for steeper descents. This stops me having to lean forward were I to descend without extending my poles. Clearly that wouldn't be possible with the walking stick.

If you are going to visit Decathlon, and you do find the walking stick unsuitable, you should find that there is a variety of relatively cheap walking poles available as well as this walking stick. I think you would be well served by any of the ones that I have seen recently in Decathlon.

As a hint, while you are there, they have pole tips that appear to be good value. I have been using a pair regularly now for several months, and they are showing little wear. I suggest buying, and carrying, at least one spare pair on your camino.
Thank you, That's good information about adjusting poles for my height. I've never used poles before. And after thinking about it, I realize that I'm actually not going to be able to get to a Decathlon in Canada. And these angled polls appear to be out of stock in every store in Quebec anyway, which is the province with stores nearest to me.

What I'll do is probably order the pacer polls since they have a good trial offer. And compare them to some regular inexpensive polls I'll also order online. And see which I prefer. And report back.

Do you think that you would need two Air tags? I mean would you take one pole and leave the other behind??
Good point! Anyway, I found out that I can't really get a substitute angled handle poles in the US. As far as I can tell. So, I'll probably just order the pacer polls, give them a trial, and compare them to some inexpensive straight poles. And report back.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Have you also used regular poles? How do they compare? I am especially interested in taking weight off my knees and feet
Yes I use normal poles but they are to propel you forwards or steady descent.
in comparison they Decathlon poles have no springs which is good if you are using them for sore joints as all the force you use through them is pushed onto the ground.

Thank you, That's good information about adjusting poles for my height. I've never used poles before. And after thinking about it, I realize that I'm actually not going to be able to get to a Decathlon in Canada. And these angled polls appear to be out of stock in every store in Quebec anyway, which is the province with stores nearest to me.

What I'll do is probably order the pacer polls since they have a good trial offer. And compare them to some regular inexpensive polls I'll also order online. And see which I prefer. And report back.
Hi again, when I bought my Pacer Poles, I just ordered directly from the woman who manufactures them in the UK. They were packaged very well, arrived quickly and she was available for any questions I had about using them. The shipping at the time was reasonable but not sure what it would be now. Might be less expensive than going through a middleman. They came with two tip ends and a net bag to hold them plus all the instructions. Good luck!

Hi again, when I bought my Pacer Poles, I just ordered directly from the woman who manufactures them in the UK. They were packaged very well, arrived quickly and she was available for any questions I had about using them. The shipping at the time was reasonable but not sure what it would be now. Might be less expensive than going through a middleman. They came with two tip ends and a net bag to hold them plus all the instructions. Good luck!
As far as I know you can only order them directly through Pacer Pole. There are no middlemen selling them.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Or to save money Pacer Poles sells just the top section of their poles that you can attach to poles of your choice.
Your great idea got me wondering about taking only the top section as carry on.

I became a big Pacerpole fan after foot surgery. On my outbound trip I don't want to risk delaying the start of my Camino by losing my backpack if checked in (as I've lost checked in luggage numerous times). My solution is to carry the backpack on board and only check the Pacerpoles into the hold. Last Camino the poles went missing on arrival, fortunately later found and returned to me. If airlines allowed the top section as carry on, I could buy a cheap bottom section at my destination. On my return home I would be happy to check into the hold and having a spare bottom would be useful given that has been the part that was broken in the past.

Do airlines allow the top section to be carry-on?

Do airlines allow the top section to be carry-on?
It's not the airlines that check what's in your carry on bag, it's the airport security. But I think that just the top part would probably be fine since it doesn't have any sharp ends. I would still have a plan B to check them in if they aren't allowed.

Ha. Good joke. Even someone intellectually challenged, to put it nicely, would loop poles together with the wrist stirrups or bind them with woman’s hair tie, which lay on the path for the taking. 🙄

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

I love my Pacer Poles. Like you, I lose stuff all the time. In fact, somehow in the last year (not on a Camino) I lost just my left Pacer Pole. How can someone do that?? I can! Anyway, I contacted the company and they are sending me a left pole! They are great people. Check out their site to learn more about them. I thought it was interesting to see that they now sell just the top part to attach to other poles, too.

for reference, it's

View attachment 158871

I love my Pacerpoles. However, I've just completed the Camino Portuguese da Costa and used 'ordinary poles', which were fine, but not as good or comfortable as my Pacerpoles. If I were walking a longer Camino, I would check my Pacerpoles when flying to ensure that they weren't confiscated.

Of note, I have successfully taken my 'ordinary poles' into the cabin on my last 2 Caminos, fully expecting them to be confiscated each time.

You may be able to order them at Decathlon.ca for pickup at the nearest store.

No, I had never used any kind of poles before my first Camino. I chose Pacer Poles because they seemed "idiot proof." 😄
I don't think that there would be much difference between Pacer Poles and regular poles for your feet and knees.
😂

I've used a variety of pole styles on my three Caminos.

In 2009, I took a borrowed pair of regular, adjustable poles. By 2013, after reading all the hype, I purchased Pacer Poles and I took them with me in checked luggage. In 2022, my el-cheapo airline ticket did not provide for checked baggage so I purchased poles from Decathlon upon arrival in Spain. I bought the anti-shock style, and discovered that this is a feature I REALLY like. I also appreciated being able cup my hand over the very top nub of the pole handle as I picked my way down steep descents. This is something I found difficult to do with Pacer Poles.

Initially I had been concerned that having my hands at a 90 degree angle to the poles would cause my dodgy basal thumb joints to rebel, but this did not prove to be the case. But, as mentioned in this thread, those with carpal tunnel may have issues keeping their hands at such an angle. However, both styles of poles are not meant be held with a vice-like grip, the strap does much of the work when used correctly.

Everyone is different. And although I enjoy my Pacer Poles on undulating trail, for steeper inclines and descents the upright-grip anti-shock poles are my preference. I'm hoping to do another Camino in the next year or two and, again, I will purchase poles and tips in Spain and then donate them prior to my flight home.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.