• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Horses on the Napoleon Route

Marcia Shaver

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2008), Via de la Plata (2011), Portuguese (2014), Le Puy (2016-2017)
Horses 1.jpgHorses 2.jpgHorses 4.jpgHorses 5A.jpgHorses 6.jpgHorses 8.jpg
A few weeks ago someone asked if we saw horses our first day out of St. Jean Pied de Port. I said that I told one of the pregnant Mares that she was beautiful, and she came over to talk to me, then followed me! It was such a great experience. I found the photos, so I thought you might enjoy seeing them. It is true that I have been a horse person all my life, and I could ride before I could walk, so this probably is not something most Pilgrims should try. I did call her, and she did come to me. I would never approach an unknown horse, but this was so great! I have a video of her following me but I am not sure I can upload it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
They are Pottoks and very tame. I have seen them line up for drinks at the Fountain Rolland respecting the space and queue of the pilgrims.
Yes, my husband mispronounced the name of the horses. Aren't they pretty? I wanted to go for a ride but thought that would be extremely unwise! I would love to see them at the fountain.

You should tour Iceland someday, Icelandic ponies love attention.
I would love to tour Iceland, it's on my definite list. It's not too long of a flight from Seattle, oddly enough. I think the Icelandic horses are amazing.

Unfort
I don't know if this is true, but we were told they are raised for meat.
Unfortunately I've heard that same thing, too, while on the Camino, and always hoped it was a rumor. If they are raised for meat, whose meat? For human consumption or pet food?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I looked a little bit at some online resources that say they this may be an old practice and that now they are an endangered species. Here's to hoping as they are beautiful. We saw a newborn foal when we crossed the Pyrenees and another family had seen it being born.

Many of us omnivores happily eat sheep and cows, but baulk at horses - why? Is it the cute factor, or perhaps the working relationship many have with horses?

I have eaten horse only once, in France and the pepper sauce was so strong that I have no idea what the meat tasted like. Same thing the first time I ate roo and the same sauce. Since then when living in Tassie, I ate roo regularly. It was inexpensive and was an excellent substitute for lamb and much leaner.

@OZAJ, you make some very good points. Maybe horse meat sounds offensive to many of us is because we train horses, ride them, pet them and they are beautiful, but cows, sheep, roos and other animals most of us do not see in the same way. I for one am more emotionally disconnected from them, but many vegetarians feel all slaughtering of animals is wrong.
I am not trying to start a debate; just sharing a thought of my own about the rumors of horses in Spain raised for meat.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@OZAJ, you make some very good points. Maybe horse meat sounds offensive to many of us is because we train horses, ride them, pet them and they are beautiful, but cows, sheep, roos and other animals most of us do not see in the same way. I for one am more emotionally disconnected from them, but many vegetarians feel all slaughtering of animals is wrong.
I am not trying to start a debate; just sharing a thought of my own about the rumors of horses in Spain raised for meat.
I think you'll eat anything if you are hungry enough. I ate wild game growing up in a family that did not have a lot of money. If you have ever watched the whole process it is a hard thing to eat any kind of meat. Growing up on a farm, all of the animals are sort of your pets.
All of that aside, these horses or a beautiful and fun part of my journey across the Pyrenees each of the three times I have walked it. I also absolutely loved the horses of Andalucia when I walked the Via de la Plata. They added a very special element for me because they always come to the fence, or across the open pasture, and interact with me. It just makes me happy.

They added a very special element for me because they always come to the fence, or across the open pasture, and interact with me. It just makes me happy.
I saw plenty of lovely horses and adorable donkeys, as well, on all of my various Caminos. They come to the fences, I think hoping for a carrot or apple, which I never had. I always was sad that I did not have a treat for them. I wonder if they possibly like chocolate; I had plenty of that.🤔😅

I suggest caution around approaching "tame" animals.

For example, in Grand Canyon NP, most people are fearful of rattlesnake and instead hand feed the cute little local squirrels. The ranger noted that squirrel bites account for almost all bite incidents, which require treatment with a rabies shot.

-Paul

I suggest caution around approaching "tame" animals.

For example, in Grand Canyon NP, most people are fearful of rattlesnake and instead hand feed the cute little local squirrels. The ranger noted that squirrel bites account for almost all bite incidents, which require treatment with a rabies shot.

-Paul
Great message. When I was in the Peace Corps in West Africa a volunteer petted a donkey who decided to bite his finger off, thus he gained the name and fame of being called "Donkey John" for the rest of his life.

Great message. When I was in the Peace Corps in West Africa a volunteer petted a donkey who decided to bite his finger off, thus he gained the name and fame of being called "Donkey John" for the rest of his life.
I live a few blocks from a small hobby farm. The owners have a horse named Sarge and an adorable little donkey named June. On my walks I often have veered off my trail to call their names and they shuffle over from the barn to the fence I stand at. I often have brought a sandwich bag with cut up carrots and apple slices and enjoy a few minutes feeding and talking to them. I notice they both carefully have used only their lips to take the food from my fingers...thankfully.

I think you'll eat anything if you are hungry enough.
As God is my Witness I'll never go hung..... :p

That said and back to being serious - Horse meat is popular in many countries like Kazakhstan, Mongolia, Japan, China, Germany, Mexico, Indonesia, Tonga, and Iceland.
I had some when I was a young lad Back in the USSR. it was OK
While on Machu Picchu hike me and my son ate alpaca but just couldn't bring ourselves to eat guinea pigs.
So, yeah... to each his\her own I guess.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
As God is my Witness I'll never go hung..... :p

That said and back to being serious - Horse meat is popular in many countries like Kazakhstan, Mongolia, Japan, China, Germany, Mexico, Indonesia, Tonga, and Iceland.
I had some when I was a young lad Back in the USSR. it was OK
While on Machu Picchu hike me and my son ate alpaca but just couldn't bring ourselves to eat guinea pigs.
So, yeah... to each his\her own I guess.
We know a young man from Ecuador who says that if someone cooks a Guinea pig for you that it is really a high level gift. Anyway, I think these horses were/are a versatile breed and a very fitting backdrop for this part of the Camino journey.

would that be Don Qui Jean in French? 😂
I love your tongue in cheek translation but actually I think it would be a bit more humorous if it had been a female donkey because then it would Anesse Jean!

I live a few blocks from a small hobby farm. The owners have a horse named Sarge and an adorable little donkey named June. On my walks I often have veered off my trail to call their names and they shuffle over from the barn to the fence I stand at. I often have brought a sandwich bag with cut up carrots and apple slices and enjoy a few minutes feeding and talking to them. I notice they both carefully have used only their lips to take the food from my fingers...thankfully.
If you put the treats on the flat palm of your hand for them, you can both relax and enjoy the moment! They can't bite your fingers unintentionally that way. They really don't want to bite you because they love treats, but they can't actually see your fingers clearly while nibbling. (On the other hand, if they lay their ears back, that's horse language for "stay away from me" so they might intentionally bite you then.)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
If you put the treats on the flat palm of your hand for them, you can both relax and enjoy the moment! They can't bite your fingers unintentionally that way.

I'm sure the person who feed the cute little squirrel said the same thing! That was right before getting bit and heading to the hospital for a rabies shot. It's not worth the risk.

Admire wildlife from a distance unless you have permission from the owner to feed them treats.

-Paul

I'm sure the person who feed the cute little squirrel said the same thing! That was right before getting bit and heading to the hospital for a rabies shot. It's not worth the risk.
Out in the mountains of California we've seen many hikers feeding rodents despite warnings having been posted not to because of the risk of plague. We'd say "Uh, you know another name for plague is black death, don't you?"

Those critters were cute though.

It's not worth the risk.

Admire wildlife from a distance unless you have permission from the owner to feed them treats.

-Paul
Thanks Paul, at one time some of our horses grazed adjacent to a walking path and during the Spring grass growth we had to keep them on strict diets for their health. We had lots of problems with people who wanted to feed the cute, hungry ponies.

I make a point of never feeding other peoples horses but I do stop for a chat and give them a pat and a scratch if I see that they are receptive.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks Paul, at one time some of our horses grazed adjacent to a walking path and during the Spring grass growth we had to keep them on strict diets for their health. We had lots of problems with people who wanted to feed the cute, hungry ponies.

I make a point of never feeding other peoples horses but I do stop for a chat and give them a pat and a scratch if I see that they are receptive.
You are right of course. I don't ever feed treats to horses or other animals that I don't know. I didn't feed the horses on the Camino, I just petted them. I was responding to the person who sounded like he was feeding a horse that he knows on his home turf so to speak, or at least one that he knows and has frequent contact with. We certainly should never feed them anything except maybe a handful of grass pulled from the side of the road where it would be part of their regular diet.

You are right of course. I don't ever feed treats to horses or other animals that I don't know. I didn't feed the horses on the Camino, I just petted them. I was responding to the person who sounded like he was feeding a horse that he knows on his home turf so to speak, or at least one that he knows and has frequent contact with. We certainly should never feed them anything except maybe a handful of grass pulled from the side of the road where it would be part of their regular diet.
Thank you, btw, my post wasn't meant as any sort of criticism, more general advice for people who don't know horses well. You don't seem to be in that category. 🥝🐎

Unfort

Unfortunately I've heard that same thing, too, while on the Camino, and always hoped it was a rumor. If they are raised for meat, whose meat? For human consumption or pet food?
Ordered a mystery 'pizza cheval' in a bistro in the French Alps many years ago. It took a while to work-out what 'cheval' meant, but we got it eventually...

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back