• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How big is your pack?

How big is your pack?

• Less than 23 litre

Votes: 7 2.5%
  • 23 - 27 litre

Votes: 11 4.0%
  • 28 - 32 litre

Votes: 44 15.9%
  • 33 - 38 litre

Votes: 95 34.4%
  • 39 - 45 litre

Votes: 60 21.7%
  • 46 - 52 litre

Votes: 36 13.0%
  • 53 - 60 litre

Votes: 10 3.6%
  • More than 60 litre

Votes: 13 4.7%

• Total voters

Luka

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Next: Camino Sanabrés (May 2024)
My impression is that the average backpack on the Camino is a lot smaller than it used to be. So how big is it? I guess most seasoned pilgrims have walked with different packs, but think of the pack of your last Camino or the next one coming up.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It was rather funny when I walked the Norte in summer 2017. After my Camino I was going to stay in Spain and work as a volunteer in several places. So I brought a pack of a whopping 58 litres, left it almost half empty and sent some extra stuff like my laptop and work clothes ahead. I got various comments of other pilgrims who all thought I was an absolute beginner because of my big pack... 😁

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My Gossamer Gear Mariposa has an internal frame and is 36 liter in the main bag, but the extension collar which is part of the 'lid' can be expanded to increase capacity to 60 liters. It weighs 1.9 pounds / 0.86 Kg.

I used it for part of my PCT thru-hike and Colorado Trail thru-hike. In addition to my Caminos, I still use it as my main backpack for wilderness multiday hikes. But it's dimensions also allow it to be carried onboard so when flying, I do not have to check it in as luggage.

I only use 40% of it's capacity on Camino, since I don't need my backpacking gear for the wild. It is comfortable and friendly carrying a full 23 pounds on backpacking trips lasting 8 days or more. For Camino, where I only carry a total weight of about 9.5 pounds / 4 Kg, it is a JOY and goes virtually unnoticed while walking. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
It was rather funny when I walked the Norte in summer 2017. After my Camino I was going to stay in Spain and work as a volunteer in several places. So I brought a pack of a whopping 58 litres, left it almost half empty and sent some extra stuff like my laptop and work clothes ahead. I got various comments of other pilgrims who all thought I was an absolute beginner because of my big pack... 😁

Yeah, me too, even though the 'footprint' of my backpack while wearing it isn't all that large on my back. I looked at all the stuff they had dangling or tied on to the outside of their packs, and just nodded and smiled. It ain't the package, it's what's in it and what it weighs :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My Osprey Kyte is 46L and my husband's matching pair is the Kestrel 48L. For the Camino they are less than half full. But we got them because they fit great and we needed the ice axe attachments and extra room for glacier hiking gear. Our other backpacks are for wilderness multiday tent trips and those are much, much bigger. I saw no reason to buy another set of packs just for the Camino. They fit perfectly into the overheard of the plane and even with 3 liters of water and a day's worth of food (we don't walk the Frances so we always need to carry food for the day) they are both light at about 14 pounds including the weight of the pack.

I used to walk with my Osprey Exos 46, until I completely wore it out (after 3000 km or so). Then I bought the Exos 58, because of the multiple use (not only on the Camino). In May 2019 I will spend a week on the Camino with my new Osprey Hikelite 32. Will be a bit of a challenge, but I noticed with my Exos 46 that if you have space you are more inclined to use that space.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
hmmm...ya'll got me thinking the 38L may be too big.

If you already have the 38L, I wouldn't be concerned with buying something new, it will work well for Camino.

If you are considering the purchase of the 38, and like it and it feels good to wear under a load, buy it and do not worry about the size. Now if you are thinking of something smaller because you want the pack itself to be lighter, or have a smaller dimension to the backpack so you can skip checking the pack as luggage and use it as a carry-on, then that is something to think on and consider.

But a larger size backpack capacity does not dictate that one must add more stuff to fill up space. Nature abhors a vacuum, but discipline beats nature when it comes to what you pack. :)

I feel so unworthy after reading this. I have a deuter 42 l(3lb 13 ounces) that is built like a tank, but have a Osprey levity 45 l (1lb 14 ounces) still in the box. I'm trying to decide which one to use for my start date 3 weeks from today. I did a test pack today and had 13 lbs with 3 liters of water, in the Deuter. I like the looks of the Gossamer gear packs with a frame. Frameless packs don't seem to work for me.

I feel so unworthy after reading this. I have a deuter 42 l(3lb 13 ounces) that is built like a tank, but have a Osprey levity 45 l (1lb 14 ounces) still in the box. I'm trying to decide which one to use for my start date 3 weeks from today. I did a test pack today and had 13 lbs with 3 liters of water, in the Deuter. I like the looks of the Gossamer gear packs with a frame. Frameless packs don't seem to work for me.

The Osprey Levity does have a framed suspension and although lightweight, it does wear and perform like a framed packed as long as you stay below its 20 pound recommendation. So if it feels good while carrying it with your expected load weight, it would be fine.

I did not like it due to how it felt on my back. I felt like it carried a 15 pound load just fine, though. Others seem to really like it and give it good reviews. So try it out and focus on what feels good or odd or unworkable and use that to help you decide. :)

Arc’teryx Brize 32, and still had 4-5L of dead space on the CF.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
When I walked the Frances from Pamplona to Santiago de Compostela (Sept 20 - Nov 03,2017) I used a 70L Osprey. It was way to big and I carried way more than I needed but I had to have it to carry my CPAP. Next time I walk the Camino I will use my new Osprey Exos 48L and bring a much smaller CPAP. Live and learn, “the hard way”.

Last camino I walked with a 21 liter pack, but it meant everyday was laundry day :)
The one before that I walked with a 38 liter Osprey Exos, but that included camping gear.
I am now a proud owner of an Osprey stratos 50 liter pack, which is a lot easier to pack and feels a lot better on my hips. Many happy hiking days to come!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm stronger now, like having an extra big sleeping bag and have less patience with having to unpack everything to get the stuff at the bottom, plus I don't like squashed bread and having to leave my crocs dangling on the outside of the pack, so I carry a bigger pack now that in 2005.

It means I can carry stuff for my companion as well, which is quite popular.

In the never ending effort to pack less, I donated my 48 liter Osprey Kestrel to the Pilgrim House after five Caminos. Last year, I debuted my new 38 liter Osprey Kestrel. Yes, I really like Osprey rucksacks and love the Kestrel design.

I STILL cannot get the weight down where I want it. This year, I resolve to be even more deliberate, brutal and decisive in packing... I hope...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My weight-distribution:
body: 3095gr. (incl. Camera, Boots, Clothing)
bp: 4838gr. (incl. Pack, w/o food / water)

With water and some energybars it will be 5488gr. (in meseta +520gr. for more water, I will walk in July)

I loved my 55L Black Diamond Onyx pack! It sounds huge, but as you can see in my profile pic, it can be made a whole lot smaller by cinching in the many straps. I carried 10kgs on my back but it didn't feel that heavy, thanks to the suspension it has and the swiveling hip belt.

@davebugg Thanks for the reply and the encouragement! I recently bought a 38L for the Camino as I only had a 55L and a 22L. I used the 55L on a four day hiking trip to do the Maroon Bells Four Pass Loop (highly recommend) and I never want to carry that much weight again. So I purposed to carry a much lighter pack on the Camino and thankfully don't have to carry all the gear, food and water.
I will follow your advice and stick with the 38L since it is super comfortable and light. And it will hopefully be small enough to take on the plane with me so I won't have to check it.

It also may be nice to have a bit of extra room so at the end of my walk iI can take some gifts home to family and friends.

I am not the only Osprey fan here I see...

Another one with an Osprey. I got it right the first time around with a 34L Aura (men's medium). After intensive use over 8 years walking Caminos I wanted to replace it (zippers no longer worked etc). I wanted the same model but they no longer make the small size, only a 50L so I changed to a 36L Sirrus (women's medium). This model actually looks smaller than the Aura and it has a built in rain cover which is nice, plus larger hip pockets and of course the fantastic back ventilation system which the Aura also had.

At home for short walks I have a Osprey Talon 22L. I take the bare minimum but it would be way too small for a long Camino.

Osprey Exos 48 or 58.
Now thinking of trying out a new one, Ospery Lumina 60, weighs even less, but it is a backpack for W and Ospey women seem to be very slim, so I might stick to one of my Exos. I like to have enough space in my backpack, easier to pack, some place for food and extra water when needed.

@davebugg Thanks for the reply and the encouragement! I recently bought a 38L for the Camino as I only had a 55L and a 22L. I used the 55L on a four day hiking trip to do the Maroon Bells Four Pass Loop (highly recommend) and I never want to carry that much weight again. So I purposed to carry a much lighter pack on the Camino and thankfully don't have to carry all the gear, food and water.
I will follow your advice and stick with the 38L since it is super comfortable and light. And it will hopefully be small enough to take on the plane with me so I won't have to check it.

It also may be nice to have a bit of extra room so at the end of my walk iI can take some gifts home to family and friends.

If you find you have too much stuff at the end, go to a China Bazar / Oriental Bazar shop. They sell inexpensive luggage and duffel bags that are suitable to purpose... to get you and your loot home... I have done this on more than one occasion. Afterwards, I use these inexpensive pieces of basic luggage as donation bags for local donations to The Salvation Army or Goodwill, etc.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Osprey Exos 48 or 58.
Now thinking of trying out a new one, Ospery Lumina 60, weighs even less, but it is a backpack for W and Ospey women seem to be very slim, so I might stick to one of my Exos. I like to have enough space in my backpack, easier to pack, some place for food and extra water when needed.
Oh I wish I hadn’t read this!! :D It IS much lighter than the Exos!
I may have to go and try one on.... Just for research purposes, you understand ;)

We used the osprey sirrus and stratus, each 36L, for the northern, primitivo and portuguese routes. We like how the bag fits and travels. Not a lot of room for extra things, and sometimes the baguettes were bent out of shape but that is what we will use again this spring.

I have an Osprey Aura W50. I went for comfort im the pack so its relatively heavy. But i cant get my weight below 9kgs including the pack (1.8kgs) i cant afford a different pack - and love my pack anyway
I have removed the lid to reduce volume. But can someone please show me their pack list that gets it as light as i am reading here!! Im starting the Norte on the 27th April 😅

I have an Osprey Aura W50. I went for comfort im the pack so its relatively heavy. But i cant get my weight below 9kgs including the pack (1.8kgs) i cant afford a different pack - and love my pack anyway
I have removed the lid to reduce volume. But can someone please show me their pack list that gets it as light as i am reading here!! Im starting the Norte on the 27th April 😅
@C clearly posted a good packing list a few months ago. Use the ‘search’ facility and also look up under @mspath 🙂
(Sorry, I still don’t know how to post thread links, doh!)

For the Camino I've bought a 45l-pack from a czech manufacturer (900gr). The net size is 40-42l. It is almost 3/5 filled, when I'm ready to go. So enough space for all the nice food and Rioja I will need on my way.

Buen Camino!
Roland

That is a great weight for that size of a backpack. Think about posting a link to the website, and give a review when you have enough time with it while walking. :)

It might give you some good feedback if you also posted your packing list. Lots of folks have done the same thing, and you will get some very useful comments. :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
All these Osprey lovers...I have a question. I have two different Osprey packs and both have something that irritates me to no end. The side pockets that I put my water bottles in are ignorant...they can't seen to keep my bottles in place. I can't tell you how many times my bottle has fallen out if I lean over for anything. I lost one of my good cycling camelback bottles when I was leaning forward as I hiked up Ball Mt outside Leadville, out went my bottle and rolled down the mountain. I was not about to go back for it and convinced myself I would get it on the way down. Well I never found that bottle, hopefully some else did.

Anyone else have this problem?

i cant get my weight below 9kgs including the pack (1.8kgs)... can someone please show me their pack list
Here is the thread with my packing list. Without food and water, it weighs about 5.5 kg. Of that, the pack itself is about 1 kg. I am not a large person, so neither are my clothes, but clothes are not a large part of the total. I walk in the early spring and late fall and I do not like to be cold, so I carry things for all weather. Fortunately I don't need to carry any special medication or equipment.

If your pack weighs 1 kg more than mine, and your clothes are bigger, that would account for no more than 2 kg of the difference, so maybe you have 1.5 kg to play with.

But if you are comfortable with 9 kg, it is not an unreasonable weight.

I've got an old and beaten up/duck taped in places Exped Lightning Womens 45l that works for camping trips and caminos. Importantly I have the pocket that fits on the front that makes an excellent baguette and fruit/salad holder and the roll top means it's pretty easy to accommodate the bottle of wine, tin of olives, lunchbox with cheese/ham/salami in it and other things needed for a delightful lunch.... not forgetting the all important Matador Mini Pocket Blanket - of course one needs somewhere to sit whilst having one's picnic! I might not get anywhere very quickly but I do have a very good time enroute :).

I am sure there will come a time in my life when I need to cut the weight right down but right now I would rather indulge in a luxurious trip with jeans, a change of clothing, fantastic food/wine, microfibre bathsheet, hair conditioner, etc. than cut everything down to the bare minimum! Each to their own.... Having said that the English speaking camino is quite unforgiving about pack size, the number of 'helpful' comments I encountered about my pack being too big was quite depressing, can't say I really cared as I was happy and often walked double or treble the distance of the people telling me my pack was too big,

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I may be have said this before in the forum, but I have always thought the 10% rule of weight on your backpack is a nonsense. In that case my backpack should not overcome 6 kg. If I put on 20 kg of weight, I could carry 8 kg, but that means 22kg more to carry for my legs!
My backpack is never under 10 kg. I always carry enough water for myself and some extra to be able to help someone in need, and some food when I walk on caminos with less services. No luxury, but the things I need weighs that!

I may be have said this before in the forum, but I have always thought the 10% rule of weight on your backpack is a nonsense. In that case my backpack should not overcome 6 kg. If I put on 20 kg of weight, I could carry 8 kg, but that means 22kg more to carry for my legs!
My backpack is never under 10 kg. I always carry enough water for myself and some extra to be able to help someone in need, and some food when I walk on caminos with less services. No luxury, but the things I need weighs that!

Yeah, I agree. It was made up when backpacking gear weighed far more than it does today. Now, every bit of gear and clothing weighs far less than even 10 years ago.

But the guideline to keep gear as light as possible is a good one. It has been shown that the relative risk of musculoskeletal and repetitive injuries (including blistering) increases, as the weight of the carried load increases.

This means that regardless of how heavy a load one can carry, and regardless whether that load is able to be carried all day, the same person will have less risks of problems with a 10 pound pack, than with a 20 pound pack, etc.

So ignore the 10% rule, and go for the lightest load possible.

All these Osprey lovers...I have a question. I have two different Osprey packs and both have something that irritates me to no end. The side pockets that I put my water bottles in are ignorant...they can't seen to keep my bottles in place. I can't tell you how many times my bottle has fallen out if I lean over for anything. I lost one of my good cycling camelback bottles when I was leaning forward as I hiked up Ball Mt outside Leadville, out went my bottle and rolled down the mountain. I was not about to go back for it and convinced myself I would get it on the way down. Well I never found that bottle, hopefully some else did.

No, never had that problem. Doesn’t your pack’s side pockets have ‘compression straps to tie everything down? (Or not, as needed)....

Before water, my pack generally weighs aroung 6 kg at the start of the walk (that is, when I weigh it at home). This is a kilo more than the first time I walked - I would rather have my luxury items...

It once weighed 18 kg in the airport on the way home, including a ham and quite a lot of cheese and olives.

I use a Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus. It is rated as a 70L volume pack including side pockets and extension collar, but weighs only 530g. Even on remote bushwalks I have never had it full to capacity, This trip my all up weight so far is 8.5kg....I am working on reducing that by at least 500g, hopefully more.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

My Osprey pack’s (Stratos 34) side pockets would not hold cylindrical water bottles when the pack was full so I found some “flat” (think flask-shaped) water bottles that worked perfectly.

No, never had that problem. Doesn’t your pack’s side pockets have ‘compression straps to tie everything down? (Or not, as needed)....

There are compression straps on each side of the Daylite daypack and the 22L Skimmer pack but both are too high to be of any use to a regular size water bottle. Just checked the REI reviews and noticed other folks were lamenting this same issue with dropped bottles. I will probably return the Skimmer pack for something else, as that is one glorious perk of REI membership.

I've got an old and beaten up/duck taped in places Exped Lightning Womens 45l that works for camping trips and caminos. Importantly I have the pocket that fits on the front that makes an excellent baguette and fruit/salad holder and the roll top means it's pretty easy to accommodate the bottle of wine, tin of olives, lunchbox with cheese/ham/salami in it and other things needed for a delightful lunch.... not forgetting the all important Matador Mini Pocket Blanket - of course one needs somewhere to sit whilst having one's picnic! I might not get anywhere very quickly but I do have a very good time enroute :).

I am sure there will come a time in my life when I need to cut the weight right down but right now I would rather indulge in a luxurious trip with jeans, a change of clothing, fantastic food/wine, microfibre bathsheet, hair conditioner, etc. than cut everything down to the bare minimum! Each to their own.... Having said that the English speaking camino is quite unforgiving about pack size, the number of 'helpful' comments I encountered about my pack being too big was quite depressing, can't say I really cared as I was happy and often walked double or treble the distance of the people telling me my pack was too big,
Sounds like my kind of camino 😊

Here is the thread with my packing list. Without food and water, it weighs about 5.5 kg. Of that, the pack itself is about 1 kg. I am not a large person, so neither are my clothes, but clothes are not a large part of the total. I walk in the early spring and late fall and I do not like to be cold, so I carry things for all weather. Fortunately I don't need to carry any special medication or equipment.

If your pack weighs 1 kg more than mine, and your clothes are bigger, that would account for no more than 2 kg of the difference, so maybe you have 1.5 kg to play with.

But if you are comfortable with 9 kg, it is not an unreasonable weight.
Thanks for this. I have been walking ariunf home around 20kms several times a week with weights in my pack up to 8 kgs (gradually increasing) and to be honest its been okay so i think ill be ok too. Thanks for the useful info.

My pack is enormous and unwieldy first thing in the morning and shortly after lunch. Most of the rest of the time, unless I'm doing an extra 5km in search of a bunk, its extremely light and manageable.

Its an Osprey Talon according to the manufacturers but to me its just a friend.

The founder of Osprey packs, who designs all the packs, is a good friend of mine. I tell him about this, too, and he just laughs. (But everything I say makes him laugh). So I created my own system of carrying bottles on my shoulder straps that works great. Comfortable, stable, easy to remove and return while walking.I showed him my system and he laughed at that, too.

I used to walk with my Osprey Exos 46, until I completely wore it out (after 3000 km or so). Then I bought the Exos 58, because of the multiple use (not only on the Camino). In May 2019 I will spend a week on the Camino with my new Osprey Hikelite 32. Will be a bit of a challenge, but I noticed with my Exos 46 that if you have space you are more inclined to use that space.

Osprey will often replace your backpack with a new one if you send the old one back to them in Colorado.

I have always walked with my half empty Quechua 50L bag pack (2kgs empty!). When I walked on the Camino Frances, I noticed many English speakers had 30L Osprey bagpacks. I checked them online and they're like 120 euros, which is way too pricey for me. I found the Quechua MH500 30L (1.2 kgs empty) at Decathlon for 50 euros. Plenty of space and you don't feel it on your back.

I bought my Osprey 33L today, fits beautifully,

My impression is that the average backpack on the Camino is a lot smaller than it used to be. So how big is it? I guess most seasoned pilgrims have walked with different packs, but think of the pack of your last Camino or the next one coming up.
I used a 48L Osprey Kestrel for Camino Frances, SJPP to SdC. I never went of 14# even with water and it fit my frame of 5'2", 140# just fine. I loved having the extra room to fish things out and repack. I'll be using it again on my next Camino in Portugal...
Kathie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Nope!! Osprey Atmos AG65. Best pack ever. May be big but light and the anti gravity system is the best there is

My Gossamer Gear Mariposa has an internal frame and is 36 liter in the main bag, but the extension collar which is part of the 'lid' can be expanded to increase capacity to 60 liters. It weighs 1.9 pounds / 0.86 Kg.

I used it for part of my PCT thru-hike and Colorado Trail thru-hike. In addition to my Caminos, I still use it as my main backpack for wilderness multiday hikes. But it's dimensions also allow it to be carried onboard so when flying, I do not have to check it in as luggage.

I only use 40% of it's capacity on Camino, since I don't need my backpacking gear for the wild. It is comfortable and friendly carrying a full 23 pounds on backpacking trips lasting 8 days or more. For Camino, where I only carry a total weight of about 9.5 pounds / 4 Kg, it is a JOY and goes virtually unnoticed while walking. :)
9.5 lbs is very impressive. I'd love to see your packing list. Did you remove the hydration system? I looked at the Mariposa and am considering it.

I’m with you on this one. I will be walking with an Osprey

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I’m with you on this one. I will be walking with an Osprey
This has happened to me, but I wasn’t putting the bottles down far enough. Each side has a different strapping system. I’ve been back to the shop of purchase and been given several extra tips. Enjoy your travels

I'm a big guy so clothes, sleeping bag, etc are all bigger. Photography is a passion of mine so I'm bringing a camera and a couple of lenses. I have a big pack (expandable to 80L if I wanted to) but am planning on using as little of it as I can, but that size actually fits me better with the hip belts. I'm sure I'll get some looks, comments, etc on the Camino but I know what will work for me. Everyone walks their own Camino.

Nope!! Osprey Atmos AG65. Best pack ever. May be big but light and the anti gravity system is the best there is

If the Atmos works for you, that is wonderful. It is great having a pack which hits all the personal fit and function needs. Something I have to remind myself that whether or not a person likes a piece of gear -- like a backpack -- is a highly subjective judgement. What I might find to be terrific and wonderful, another person might find to be a new level of hell. :)

That is why if I, or someone else, might gently disagree with another person's positive reviews about the fit-n-feel and comfort of a backpack, or other personal piece of gear, it still does not discount how comfortable or usable it is to someone else.

In light of the above, some folks really like the 'anti gravity' suspension back of the Atmos backpacks, and are even enthusiastic about it, (which is why a lot of folks purchase it). But when I was hired to gear test the Atmos for assessing its construction QA, I found the AG system adequate, but not the most comfortable I've used or owned.

Again, that is my subjective opinion based on my needs and comfort requirements. My subjective feelings about the Atmos' comfort had nothing to do with why I was testing the Atmos. Assessing the backpack for construction and production flaws does not depend on me being totally comfortable.

There is an objective observation that can be made, though. The Osprey Atmos 65 cannot be considered a lightweight pack. At a weight of over 4.5 pounds / 2.5 kg, it is significantly above what is considered to be a lightweight -- not ultra lightweight --backpack.

I can also objectively say that it is a well crafted pack, with few flaws in usability; it will hold up well for hundreds of miles of wilderness backpacking with limited serious wear issues.

@Cary - depends entirely on what model Osprey pack you have! My Talons and Tempests (and Escapist and before that, Aura) all hold on tight to the water bottles in the side pockets, but my husband's Exos keeps dropping them because of the larger and looser pocket. Lost a good filter water bottle in the hold of an ALSA bus because we didn't think to secure it when the pack was on the floor. Not all Ospreys are equal, though most of them are pretty good!

It is not so much the size of the pack as it is what is put in it. With a larger pack, yes, it is human nature to stuff it to the brim. But, from experience, a heavy pack does not last long before it is lightened. For me, I chose my pack for fit and comfort over capacity. It is larger than normal but is never over packed and has always been accepted as a carry on.

Last edited:
Kelty Coyote 80
I am 5' 11", 175lb
I bought it before I realized that a good pack for the camino is different (smaller) than a pack for general backpacking. After I realized this, I "almost" got a smaller pack before my camino, but decided to save the $$$ and just use it.
I did not even come close to filling it with "camino" things... but I did end up intentionally loading it with deliberate/extra weights/burden for some special intentions for my camino. At one albergue, the host/hospitalero picked up my pack then asked if he could weigh it... it was 34 pounds(had extra food at the time). But with the frame in that pack is amazing!!!, it gave me ZERO problems during the entire camino!!!
My advice is: if you are not going to keep your pack light (10% body weight), get one with a good frame that properly fits your torso.
I too am hoping to find another much smaller pack that can be used as carry-on... but have not decided on which one yet...
Buen Camino, -kevin-

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Really? Why would they do that?

OSPREY'S ALL MIGHTY GUARANTEE. Osprey will repair any damage or defect for any reason free of charge – whether it was purchased in 1974 or yesterday. If we are unable to perform a functionalrepair on your pack, we will happily replace it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
After quite a lot of Camino walking years , using two different (cheap) rucksacks, I've just invested in an Osprey Eja 38L. Definitely not cheap but the comfort aspect ruled my head and heart. I will have to keep walking forever to get my money's worth out of it!
My first rucksack 17€ from Lidl, the second a Quecha second hand from a French brocante (from car boot sale)

Deuter Fox 40. As I’m only 160cm tall, this adjustable ‘junior’ pack was my best choice a couple of years ago. Only, with as little experience I have, it’s just a little too large now: I regularly do citytrips with only 30 liters...

Ultreia
Miguel

There is an objective observation that can be made, though. The Osprey Atmos 65 cannot be considered a lightweight pack. At a weight of over 4.5 pounds / 2.5 kg, it is significantly above what is considered to be a lightweight -- not ultra lightweight --backpack.
I agree with @davebugg here. My two current go to packs for multi-day walks tip the scales at 33 and 35 gm/li of capacity, a little less than the 38 gm/li of the Atmos. I would never consider these lightweight. I do have another two packs, one bought right after my first Camino and one a couple of years ago, that weigh in at 21 gm/li and 25 gm/li. I think of these as being lightweight when considered against the pack weights that are currently available, but not ultra-lightweight.

As a very personal opinion, unless a pack is 20 gm/li or below, I don't think it could be considered ultra-lightweight, even if a manufacturer claims that status for it. This is an entirely arbitrary view, and I haven't tried to see if there is a general concensus about the boundaries between heavy, normal, lightweight, and ultra-lightweight pack construction. I would be interested to know if there is.

Osprey Talon 36. I strap my sandals and sleeping quilt on the outside, and still have plenty of room inside for food, etc.

I walked 2 caminos with a 2/3 full 30L. So I optimistically bought a 22L with all the features I loved on my larger pack. However the 30L just fits me perfectly. So the 30L will be on me this summer (God willing) for the Norte.

There are always difficulties with rules of thumb. A few years ago I asked if anyone could point to the origin of the 10% guideline, with mixed results. At the time the CSJ was recommending a bare pack weight, ie without consumables like food and water, of 10-15%.

But based on what? My view is that if one is overweight, then use an 'ideal weight' derived from one's height. This is still not perfect, but it overcomes the conundrum you have raised.

I also prefer to do my planning calculations based on a 'from the skin out' approach, and limit myself to 20% of 'ideal weight' FSO. That gives me a target weight of 16 kg, compared to the 18 kg that I might have if I used my regular, slightly obese, weight.

Which raises for me the other debate that is often implicit on this forum, and that is whether pack volume or pack weight is the critical factor. If you carry more, the pack size needed for that will be greater. There will be a limit to how much you can get into any pack, and a 30 li pack that might be easy to pack with 5 kg of gear, a litre of water and 500 gm of snacks, which might suits someone around 60 kg, isn't going to work well for me.

An almost final point. I think the 10% guideline for bare pack weight is a good start point for anyone walking in summer, or perhaps from late spring to early autumn. Clearly that covers most people who are walking the Camino. If one is walking outside of that time, make sensible adjustments, and get a pack to suit the load you are carrying.

In all that, the lighter one can keep one's pack, the further and faster one will be able to walk.

I agree with @davebugg here. My two current go to packs for multi-day walks tip the scales at 33 and 35 gm/li of capacity, a little less than the 38 gm/li of the Atmos. I would never consider these lightweight. I do have another two packs, one bought right after my first Camino and one a couple of years ago, that weigh in at 21 gm/li and 25 gm/li. I think of these as being lightweight when considered against the pack weights that are currently available, but not ultra-lightweight.

As a very personal opinion, unless a pack is 20 gm/li or below, I don't think it could be considered ultra-lightweight, even if a manufacturer claims that status for it. This is an entirely arbitrary view, and I haven't tried to see if there is a general concensus about the boundaries between heavy, normal, lightweight, and ultra-lightweight pack construction. I would be interested to know if there is.

I don't know if this will help with the definitions, but the ultra lightweight guru who really started this movement is a guy named Ray Jardine. He wrote of his equipment for the Pacific Crest Trail thu hike in the early 90s and has refined that base weight load from around 11 pounds to around 9 pounds.

This is pretty much what the backpacking world currently uses as the breakdown here in the US. Most of these figures evolved over the last few decades as more and more of the 'experts' began publishing lightweight and lightweight backpacking "how to" books and magazine articles.

1. Ultralight backpacker: Base weight under 10 pounds
  2. Lightweight backpacker: Base weight under 20 pounds.
  3. "Traditional" backpacker: Base weight under 30 pounds.

Interestingly, other areas of the world, like the EU seems to have evolved their own standards of what these terms mean.

For backpacks, below are a few examples of some which meet the 'Lightweight' definition, while others will claim they are in the 'Ultra-lightweight category. I do not agree with those saying that the examples are 'Ultra-Lightweight'.

Jardine, is one standard to which most look to to determine the Ultra Lightweight equipment standard. So when Jardine's homemade 'Ultra Lightweight' frameless pack which weighs in at around 13 ounces, it is obvious that the backpack's below are heavier, although not by much for some of them.

While the examples below might not qualify as 'ultra lightweight', the are on the boundary line and are very lightweight compared to many other popular backpacks. Unlike Jardine's pack, these backpacks do have frames which prevents the body of the bag from collapsing into itself, and also will transfer the load onto the hip belt.

Examples only. Not a complete list.
  • zPacks Arc Blast 55
  • Gossamer Gear Mariposa
  • Gossamer Gear Gorilla
  • ULA Circuit
  • Hyperlite Mountain Gear Wind Rider 3400
  • Katabatic Gear Omni
  • Osprey Levity 45

I could perhaps say I´m an Osprey collector since I have 8 of the kind in different sizes for different use.
I choose the Exos 48 or 58 on caminos or other long-walkings because they have a better carryingsystem at least for me. Some of the smaller which I use for other travels, as handluggage on flights for instance, give me a hurting back or shoulder after walking around at airports for a short time.
Planning a very long walk 5 years ago, I bought a Kyte66, mainly because of the size and the padded straps and hipbelt, which I used on the camino through Denmark, Hærvejen, and later that year on the Portoguese.
This was very good to carry, even if heavier than the Exos, but all the padding never dried up during nights after rain or wet weather, so I don´t use it for walks any more.
@Cary I loose bottles every time I try to put my Osprey, small or big, in the handbaggagerack, in plains.
Luckily my bottles did not hit anybody yet and I hope they never will.

OSPREY'S ALL MIGHTY GUARANTEE. Osprey will repair any damage or defect for any reason free of charge – whether it was purchased in 1974 or yesterday. If we are unable to perform a functionalrepair on your pack, we will happily replace it.

I can vouch for this. Whenever I have had ANY problem with any fearture, I had only to contact them for immediate satisfaction.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
9.5 lbs is very impressive. I'd love to see your packing list. Did you remove the hydration system? I looked at the Mariposa and am considering it.

Hi. . .

None of the Gossamer Gear backpacks include a hydration system. Most of them, including the Mariposa do have a pocket or sleeve for holding a hydration reservoir.

Ok start with my Go to pack is a Deuter 60 +10 litre .
I am happy with the extra space and I am strong enough to carry it without much trouble.
That being said, it makes walking around towns sans pack very nice.
The other thing is that this allows me to pack all my stuff away and I don't have items hanging outside (unless they are drying). I usually carry around 13 kgs plus food and water, across the Frances, the Portuguese and lastly 400kms across Ireland. Attached is the overall contents.

Attachments

• Weight breakdown.JPG
    Weight breakdown.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Hi. . .

None of the Gossamer Gear backpacks include a hydration system. Most of them, including the Mariposa do have a pocket or sleeve for holding a hydration reservoir.

View attachment 53713

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Dave,
I noticed you don't use a pancho. Do you have any problems with your stuff getting wet? I'm considering putting items in plastic baggies to be sure this doesn't happen, so I can eliminate my 13 ounce pancho. I've heard your shoulder straps can wick the moisture to you interior items. Also, does the Hiking Goo really work? It has great reviews.

I can vouch for this. Whenever I have had ANY problem with any fearture, I had only to contact them for immediate satisfaction.

My friend who founded and still runs Osprey told me recently that he went out to the dumpster in back (in their Cortez, Colorado plant) and saw a lot of repairable backpacks in the trash. He admonished his employees who, to save time and energy, were simply replacing returned packs with new ones instead of repairing them. Not sure if they have changed their ways because of this...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Dave,
I noticed you don't use a pancho. Do you have any problems with your stuff getting wet? I'm considering putting items in plastic baggies to be sure this doesn't happen, so I can eliminate my 13 ounce pancho. I've heard your shoulder straps can wick the moisture to you interior items. Also, does the Hiking Goo really work? It has great reviews.

I actually use a zPacks poncho. I just haven't bothered to make the change on the list :) It was put on there originally when I was tossing around the idea of taking the Venturi jacket. I had been testing it for zPacks and they let me keep it, but I decided I did not like it, or any rain jacket enough to replace the poncho.

Hiker Goo is what I use for wet weather foot preparation. I do not use anything on my feet for blister prevention other than thin padded merino wool socks. If you are interested in either of the information I have put together for blister prevention or wet weather foot care strategies, send me a PM and I'll post them to you.

On the Camino I use a 20 litre pack with an all-up weight of just under 5 kilos including 600mm of water. The pack has a very light built-in cover at the top that just rolls down over the pack. I also carry two cheap plastic ponchos and if I need to I can cover everything with one. I carry two because they are so light, small and cheap (USD$1) but might not last long. I have never needed to use one on a Camino but they are my total wet weather equipment.

I use a Gossamer Gear G4 (the grand grand grandfather of all ultralight packs), 385 grams, 60 litre since 2014. Meanwhile i reduced the weight of my setup for this year to 3.3 kg. I don‘t like to stuff especially my (down) sleeping bag too much and transport it and all my stuff very loose in my pack.

CU perhaps this year in the Camino Salvador / Primitivo all the way down to the end of the old world to Muxia / Finisterre.

So long
DonCamino

Attachments

• 7A14EFB2-666B-420E-B774-BE6345355B68.jpeg
    7A14EFB2-666B-420E-B774-BE6345355B68.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I use a Gossamer Gear G4 (the grand grand grandfather of all ultralight packs), 385 grams, 60 liters since 2014. Meanwhile i reduced the weight of my setup for this year to 3.3 kg. I don‘t like to stuff especially my (down) sleeping bag too much and transport it and all my stuff very loose in my pack.

385 grams! 3.3 kg! ⭐⭐⭐
What my dreams are made of 😎
Buen camino

All very interesting. I have never worried about the weight. I just carry what I have taken which means 10-19 kgs over the 3 French Caminos walked so far. I am 67. I have an A.L.I.C.E. Vulhulla pack I used as a soldier. It is covered with external pockets and zipped down is 65L, unzipped with 2 added long pockets it is 90L. I still use it for 4-6 day walks in the bush around where I live in Australia. On the Camino it is largely empty and I feel no temptation to carry more than I need, so for my next pilgrimage I it will come in at about 10kg fully loaded. A French Foreign Legionnaire called me the "Big Pack Man". Always happy to give someone a laugh. I will possibly walk in Oct/Nov 2020 and i am easy to spot so perhaps I will see some of you there.

Buen camino and easy walking

Frank

For the Camino I've bought a 45l-pack from a czech manufacturer (900gr). The net size is 40-42l. It is almost 3/5 filled, when I'm ready to go. So enough space for all the nice food and Rioja I will need on my way.

Buen Camino!
Roland
What is the name of the pack you bought and where did you purchase it?

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I take a large pack (70 ltrs) for a couple of reasons.

I never know what I may pick up to take home with me after I finish and I have a number of times helped others by putting their stuff into my 3/4 empty pack so they don't have to carry everything themselves. This has, at times, helped other walkers.

I take a smaller pack because it will be lighter, which is good for my knees and general comfort, and I can take it into the cabin. That way I know it won't go missing, and it also saves money, at €25 each leg each way, a cool €100 before I have even started. I don't have problems finding stuff because everything is in one of three drybags, colour coded of course. Admittedly I don't get to take a lot of stuff home, but I always manage a new T-shirt for my other half and some tins of good pimentón picante and dulce. There is always the option of sending anything else home in the post, though that probably won't work as well for people outside Europe.

What is the name of the pack you bought and where did you purchase it?

I've bought it via ebay as special offer.
Two years ago we were on holidays near the polish border and visited poland 2 times. While my wife was shopping, I took the chance to stroll through an outdoor-outlet. That's where I found those backpacks and tried some of them. Meteor has a long tradition in manufacturing hiking and walking gear, as far as I'm informed they are making the backpacks for Decathlon as OEM. I was wrong with the Czech, Meteor is a manufacturer from Poland.

Here is a link to a shop, that holds Meteor backpacks:

It is very lightweight, astonishingly comfortable (walked with it for more than 50k, fully loaded) and cheap with a fair built-quality. All seams are fitting, no yarn leftovers anywhere. Mine came in blue-gray with an orange raincover, that fits perfectly.

Buen Camino!
Roland

From the 1984 study by the U.S. Army Research Institute
This is a reasonable bit of journalism, but the original sources are much more interesting if you can find them. You will need to make your own assessment whether to assume the results obtained are going to scale down proportionally when it comes to Camino-like conditions and loads. They might, but it wasn't clear they would.

we have osprey stratos and sirrus packs, both 36 litres. They served us well on el norte, primitive, and san Salvador. Two years ago they seemed fairly full @~7 kg. This year, we have so much room and about 6.5 kg. We find that personal preference outweighs the 10% rule of thumb.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
For everyone who uses an Osprey Sirrus/Stratos, do you have the newer model with the adjustable torso length, seamless mesh along the back/hip belt, and the vertical pocket on the front, or do you have the older model (non-adjustable torso, mesh but not seamless, no front pocket)? Or has anyone used both and have any thoughts on which is better/more comfortable?

I have a Sirrus 24 that fits/feels fantastic, but I decided to size up for the Camino so I wouldn't be fighting with stuffing everything in. I thought I found a good deal for a Sirrus 36 (the smaller version), but it was a "good deal" because it's the older model (NOT mentioned on the eBay listing :rolleyes:). The mesh and pocket are probably negligible, really, but not having the adjustable torso bugs me (it just doesn't feel quite right). (also purely cosmetic, but Osprey's Stealth "Grey" color is actually green, which doesn't *really* matter but makes my eye twitch a little)

I'm trying to decide if it's worth selling it on and buying the newer model instead... or if I could even get away with the 26L version, which I've also spotted some good deals on! (and I really love the way the 24 feels, so the 26 is *really* tempting)

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.