• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to pack Tilley hat (ltm6) into backpack?

Sacha

Peregrina
Time of past OR future Camino
05/24 C. Portugues
09/25 CF Ponferrada - Fisterra
I splurged and got a new Tilley Airflo ltm6 hat for this years camino.

But I am not sure how to pack it into my backpack? I know people say it can take a beating, but I wanted to make sure with you before I potentially ruin mine.

Tilley ltm6

IMG_3904.jpeg

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Isn't that the one that is supposed to survive three trips through an elephant's innards? Shoving it in a rucksack shouldn't be too much of a problem! :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Been scrunching mine into a tightly packed rucksack all sorts of ways. It's fine.
If you're worried you can always carry it on your head or hang it on a carabiner.
Is that the same type as I got? With the stiff brim?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
My husband has had one for a couple of Caminos now and he just wears it or carries it. He is bald though and was in the Army so is used to wearing a hat all the time and/or carrying it properly when indoors. Sometimes he just hangs it by the string on his backpack. I don't think he has ever tried to pack it.

I have a Tilley “Mash-up” hat that’s been much worn for eight years or so. I only noticed the wear on it recently when the thin plastic ‘piping’ [my word] that rings the brim broke through the edging, which upon close inspection is itself getting a bit threadbare. The obvious damage to the edging is where the two ends of the piping meet, aggravated I guess when the hat is scrunched up.

image.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have several for various reasons. While I like the video, I prefer to put mine on a flat surface and push the crown down so that it is flat (almost) with the brim, and then slide it into my pack or put it on top of my duffle bag. Once I get to where I am walking, I pop the crown out. Otherwise, I wear it most of the time.

ps. if you haven't registered your Tilley, it's worth doing that. The guarantee of lifetime replacement requires the hat to be registered within a certain time of purchase.

pps. @Icacos, I sympathise. This happened to my original Tilley after being washed last year on the CP. I was fortunate enough to have some white sports strapping tape which I used to contain the plastic cord and make a few other repairs at the same time. I keep wearing it when I can, even though my wife insists on me wearing the nice new one she bought for me when I am in her company!!

ppps, If I am using an umbrella, I will clip the cords under my sternum strap and let the hat hang down in front of me. It's out of the road, and I don't have to worry about

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have a Tilley “Mash-up” hat that’s been much worn for eight years or so. I only noticed the wear on it recently when the thin plastic ‘piping’ [my word] that rings the brim broke through the edging, which upon close inspection is itself getting a bit threadbare. The obvious damage to the edging is where the two ends of the piping meet, aggravated I guess when the hat is scrunched up.

View attachment 146293
my fingers are itching to breathe new life into that hat so it can do another eight years at least

my fingers are itching to breathe new life into that hat so it can do another eight years at least
I know exactly what you mean! And I may do just that once I get sorted. There’s a lifetime warranty on my hat and a friend of mine - who also had a lifetime warranty on her Tilley hat - just collected on her warranty, after having the damage assessed by the manufacturer. Trouble is before she got her replacement hat she had to send in a picture of her ‘damaged’ hat with the crown cut out of it. Seems a crying shame to ruin a perfectly good hat that just needs the edging replaced.

When I get a chance I will check their replacement policy. In the meantime I’m curious if Tilley hats still come with a lifetime warranty.

But I am not sure how to pack it into my backpack? I know people say it can take a beating, but I wanted to make sure with you before I potentially ruin mine.

Tilley ltm6

View attachment 146288
I’ve taken mine on a bunch of long-distance treks and if I don’t want to wear it I’ve always just folded it up and shoved it in my backpack. It’s still going strong nine years later despite this treatment.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have several for various reasons. While I like the video, I prefer to put mine on a flat surface and push the crown down so that it is flat (almost) with the brim, and then slide it into my pack or put it on top of my duffle bag. Once I get to where I am walking, I pop the crown out. Otherwise, I wear it most of the time.

ps. if you haven't registered your Tilley, it's worth doing that. The guarantee of lifetime replacement requires the hat to be registered within a certain time of purchase.

pps. @Icacos, I sympathise. This happened to my original Tilley after being washed last year on the CP. I was fortunate enough to have some white sports strapping tape which I used to contain the plastic cord and make a few other repairs at the same time. I keep wearing it when I can, even though my wife insists on me wearing the nice new one she bought for me when I am in her company!!

ppps, If I am using an umbrella, I will clip the cords under my sternum strap and let the hat hang down in front of me. It's out of the road, and I don't have to worry about
Thanks for the tip, I’ll register it right now!

And packing the hat flat against the back of the backpack sounds like s good idea.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Tilley ltm6

View attachment 146288
I have this exact same hat purchased impulsively two years ago in Sedona, Arizona, and have only worn it three times. It sits on a shelf in my closet and I look at it wistfully, but have never brought it on the Camino for the packing concerns you and others mention; also the brim potentially hitting the back of my pack, which would be annoying. The near $100 cost has me treating it with kid gloves, but if I don't use it, what a waste.

I have this exact same hat purchased impulsively two years ago in Sedona, Arizona, and have only worn it three times. It sits on a shelf in my closet and I look at it wistfully, but have never brought it on the Camino for the packing concerns you and others mention; also the brim potentially hitting the back of my pack, which would be annoying. The near $100 cost has me treating it with kid gloves, but if I don't use it, what a waste.
I agree, what a waste of a good hat. I bought my Tilley precisely to avoid having the brim hitting the top of my pack, and it works like a charm, including on one of the tall, narrow packs that I sometime use where the top is higher.

Clearly I am a Tilley nerd, although I do have some nice felt hats, a Panama or two and some of those Panama lookalikes made from paper. I have a black wooly Tilley with ear flaps for winter, a lightweight Tilley with the little band of mesh at the top of the crown for summer, a nice soft hemp fabric Tilley (off-white) for looking stylish going down the the local shops, and two regular Tilleys, one old and battered and the other almost brand new. And to think that for years, I made do with just the one Tilley, my old T5!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I've always pictured you as an Akubra man. With something exotic and possibly hazardous for the hat band :)
I was for years, although I was never fast enough to run down an emu to collect a suitable feather. I think I would have had to resort to plucking something from a road-kill wedge tailed eagle if I had wanted a band decoration.

Last edited:
Yup, it'll be just fine. I have the exact same hat. I started out treating it kindly, and ended up just jamming it into my pack, soiled and wet. That baby looks fantastic even now (you can see it in my avatar - that was its second camino and it looks as good as new - well, from a distance anyway...sweat stains)!

Tilley ltm6

View attachment 146288
If you can damage it in any way by bad packing let the company know and they will pay you a reward. Mine has been dragged around, used as a sit mat, soaked in rivers and the sea, etc and it looks like new (almost).

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Most days, I clipped the strings to a loop with a small carabiner so it rode on the front of my pack. But I alsoI laid it flat in my pack and pushed the top down. It had stuff on top and on the sides and went through a washing machine at home. Looks great this morning after air drying overnight. It actually looks so good that I’ll miss the dirty, worn pilgrim look next time.

Tilley ltm6

View attachment 146288
I have the same hat you push the hat together with the sides toward the center and it naturally collapses into 3 and fits vertically in ky pack, but remember to waterproof your hat with Scotchgard a few times before you get it too wet , just the top it nakes all the difference

We replaced one recently using their guarantee! My husband folded his Tilley hat in half to pack it, which caused an indelible crease that we couldn't get out. I contacted Tilley, and they honored the lifetime guarantee (even though we hadn't registered it); they required a photo of the damage, and once we picked out the replacement and made sure it was in stock, they required us to destroy the old hat (cut the brim off) and send them a photo of it. That was a scary moment, waiting for the new hat to arrive, but it did a week later!

IMG_2023.jpeg

I have a slightly different problem 😂. My beloved Tilley bought in 2013 for my first Camino has been through a lot! On the Primitivo 2022 my walking friend suggested it needed to be washed 😟 so I did and then threw it in the dryer. Disaster 😢!

Spouse and 3 adult daughters don’t seem to interested in walking with me these days.

Now I am off to walk the Island Walk in PEI in less than two weeks and my Tilley is going too no matter how it looks..however…have been advised to throw it in the wash…pull it over a pail..reform the brim and let it dry.

😂 Will try however it if doesn’t work I am still going with the Tilley as is…Canadian walking in Canada 🇨🇦 it’s right thing to do 😊

Last edited:
My two cents: return it and get one of these with a folding brim. Problem solved..

DSC04934 entering Galicia.jpg

my Tilley is going too no matter how it looks..
Your poor Tilly looks puckered up and angry.😅 Possibly you could try ironing the brim. Now I am really afraid to abuse mine, although in the ten years they have probably improved the fabric and design since yours was purchased.

Tilley ltm6

View attachment 146288
Been walking with our Tilleys on many Caminos, and other trips, folding them into our packs and suitcases. No trouble.

Tilley ltm6

View attachment 146288

It’s a nice hat; but surely you confront and overcome more significant issues on a daily basis? Think about it slowly: you’re asking random people on the internet how to put a hat in a bag.

My two cents: return it and get one of these with a folding brim. Problem solved..

I have worn legionnaire style hats before, and personally, I wouldn't be remotely interested in trading my Tilley for this. Nonetheless, I would be interested to know why you think it is a good idea to do so.

I have worn legionnaire style hats before, and personally, I wouldn't be remotely interested in trading my Tilley for this. Nonetheless, I would be interested to know why you think it is a good idea to do so.
I've occasionally thought that something with a neck flap like a legionnaire kepi would be a good idea. As a Scot with minimal experience of walking in serious sun my neck was badly burned on my first Camino - enough to crack the skin like a piece of roast pork. But I have settled for a wide brimmed hat which seems to do the job.

I've occasionally thought that something with a neck flap like a legionnaire kepi would be a good idea. As a Scot with minimal experience of walking in serious sun my neck was badly burned on my first Camino - enough to crack the skin like a piece of roast pork. But I have settled for a wide brimmed hat which seems to do the job.
I have a fly fishing hat with the neck flap. DSCN0260.JPG Very easy to pack. Looks like a ball cap the rest of the time.

Yup, it'll be just fine. I have the exact same hat. I started out treating it kindly, and ended up just jamming it into my pack, soiled and wet. That baby looks fantastic even now (you can see it in my avatar - that was its second camino and it looks as good as new - well, from a distance anyway...sweat stains)!
Thats great! Im happy to hear I don’t have to be careful

I have the same hat. It’s done 8 caminos packed flat against the front or back of my pack with clothes around it for the flight then in my head every step of the way.
Looks as good as new.
Enjoy yours to the max. It’s one of my most prized assets. 😊

I know exactly what you mean! And I may do just that once I get sorted. There’s a lifetime warranty on my hat and a friend of mine - who also had a lifetime warranty on her Tilley hat - just collected on her warranty, after having the damage assessed by the manufacturer. Trouble is before she got her replacement hat she had to send in a picture of her ‘damaged’ hat with the crown cut out of it. Seems a crying shame to ruin a perfectly good hat that just needs the edging replaced.

When I get a chance I will check their replacement policy. In the meantime I’m curious if Tilley hats still come with a lifetime warranty.
I have several Tillies, one that spent too many years on a sailboat, I took to a hat shop that sold Tillies, gave them the hat, they gave me a new one, no questions asked. My Camino Tilly has gone some 2300 miles without a care.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I could yes, but I probably wont 😉 I’ll only wear it when the sun gets hot. I like the early sun on my face. Its healing ✌️
Sorry to be a grinch, but, It might heal your soul but it will do invisible damage to your skin and you won’t know about it until it’s way too late - at least use a good SPF 50 sunscreen when not wearing your wonderful hat. Buen Camino.

View attachment 146323

I have a slightly different problem 😂. My beloved Tilley bought in 2013 for my first Camino has been through a lot! On the Primitivo 2022 my walking friend suggested it needed to be washed 😟 so I did and then threw it in the dryer. Disaster 😢!

Spouse and 3 adult daughters don’t seem to interested in walking with me these days.

Now I am off to walk the Island Walk in PEI in less than two weeks and my Tilley is going too no matter how it looks..however…have been advised to throw it in the wash…pull it over a pail..reform the brim and let it dry.

😂 Will try however it if doesn’t work I am still going with the Tilley as is…Canadian walking in Canada 🇨🇦 it’s right thing to do 😊
I’ve ironed the brim of mine every time I’ve washed it so as long as it still fits your head and didn’t shrink too much, I’d give that a go!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I’ve ironed the brim of mine every time I’ve washed it so as long as it still fits your head and didn’t shrink too much, I’d give that a go!
I follow the washing instructions (mostly) on mine. Remove the cord, wash it, stretch it over my knee when it is dry and wear it again. I have never had to consider ironing the brim.

Sorry to be a grinch, but, It might heal your soul but it will do invisible damage to your skin and you won’t know about it until it’s way too late - at least use a good SPF 50 sunscreen when not wearing your wonderful hat. Buen Camino.
The early morning sun (sunrise to about 9-10am) is actually very good for you skin. It is low in uva and uvb and is high in infrared and ultraviolet light which are healing and can help protect your skin from the stronger sun later in the day.

I usually enjoy some early morning sun and then apply spf at 9am.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Tilley ltm6

View attachment 146288
I have the same hat. I fold it in half twice and shove it in my pack. It’s totally fine.

From the Tilley Canada website just now:

The LTM6 Airflo Broad Brim hat is made in 100% Recycled Nylon with a durable UPF 50+ finish. It combines our unique Airflo technology with a PFC Free durable water repellent finish, offering protection come rain or shine.
FEATURES
  • Rated UPF 50+
  • Guaranteed for life
  • PFC Free DWR Finish
  • 100% Recycled Nylon
  • Hidden Pocket
  • Buoyant
  • Moisture-wicking Hydrofil®
  • Tuck away Wind Cord
  • Mesh ventilation at crown
  • bluesign® approved fabric

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
From the Tilley Canada website just now:

The LTM6 Airflo Broad Brim hat is made in 100% Recycled Nylon with a durable UPF 50+ finish. It combines our unique Airflo technology with a PFC Free durable water repellent finish, offering protection come rain or shine.
FEATURES

• Guaranteed for life
  • (snip)
and when I went online to claim under this, the guarantee only works if you have registered your purchase within a certain time. Hence my earlier caution to make sure that this gets done.

Tilley ltm6

View attachment 146288
Just scrunch it up and throw it in. It'll bounce back to shape when needed

and when I went online to claim under this, the guarantee only works if you have registered your purchase within a certain time. Hence my earlier caution to make sure that this gets done.
I actually succeeded in claiming a replacement without registering it; had to send pictures of the damage, and a second picture after cutting the brim off. I had folded it in half while packing, and the crease never came out; since I hadn’t registered it, I figured I couldn’t claim a replacement so I emailed Tilley, asking if it was safe to iron it, and they responded by offering me a replacement, even tho I had never registered it!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My husband wears his hiking, walking, in the car to keep the glare out of his eyes, camping, etc. and its ended up in a variety of crunched up situations over the past 3 years. Still looks pretty good!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm afraid to scrunch my Tilley hat and barely have worn it in the nearly two years since I purchased it; an impulse buy I regret.
That sounds a bit sad! I don't scrunch the brim, but keep that flat, and then flatten the crown so the hat is a relatively flat disk. It goes that way into my pack for travelling, and then it is on my head most of the time. Sometimes I might hang it from my pack harness. All mine get machine washed, even the woollen one, which is also an opportunity to reshape the brim and the crown.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.