• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How many stamps?

AR1965

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, Summer 2024
I am starting the CF from SJPP on June 15.

How many stamps per day do people usually get? I know that I will need 2 per day from Sarria on. But, I am wondering if people just generally get one a day before that, or two (or more?)? I am bringing two pilgrim passports with me in case I need the room.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Some people like to collect a lot of stamps, while others just get the bare minimum.
You'll find out which type of person you are once you are on the Camino.

If you think that you'd like to frame your credential(s) you should only get stamps on one side so that can all be seen in a frame. Also get the glass for the frame that will protect them from sun damage.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm one of the bare minimum sort. On my last Camino Frances I just collected sellos from the albergues I stayed in and didn't bother with two per day after Sarria as I had no intention of asking for a Compostela. I only used one side of the SJPDP credencial. Some people might use up two or three credencials! Entirely your choice.

How many stamps per day do people usually get? I know that I will need 2 per day from Sarria on. But, I am wondering if people just generally get one a day before that, or two (or more?)? I am bringing two pilgrim passports with me in case I need the room.
if you want to request your Compostela, it's compulsory two per day/last 100 kms. before that, one a day is enough, usually where you sleep (i guess).

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I got into a habit of getting at least 2 per day almost from the get-go. Not because of some 'requirement' but somewhat just because and somewhat to get myself into that habit so when i did get to Sarria - I didn't even had to think about it.
One day I did go ape-nvts (thats Roman for those who don't know! ;)) and had 6... sure why not?!
I've seen folks that were specifically hunting certain sellos so as @trecile said -
People usually do what they want 😄
Dont stress over it and do what you want. If you see that both of your credentials are running out - get one in some Pilgrim's office or an Albergues (lots of them do sell them)

Good luck and Buen Camino!

Yes. I know that. My question is what people "usually do".
I think it also depends on where you are staying. Pilgrim only albergues require that you have a credential. The only one that does not have a stamp is at Granon (there "the stamp is on your heart") and you have to get a stamp somewhere else in town if you want one. If you are staying at places like an AirBNB or something, you would have to get a stamp somewhere else. Hotels usually do have a kind of stamp like they might use to stamp bills or invoices, but usually I have had to ask if I want them to stamp that.

edit: All this to say that you may or may not get a stamp where you are staying the night.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You don't need to do what is 'usual' provided you get the minimum of two each day after Sarria on the CF and the other 100 km towns on other routes. On my first camino I got one each day, and then didn't remember to get the required two after Sarria. Not recommended.

After that I started to collect stamps from wherever I stopped, such as bars and cafes as well as other places I ate, in addition to any I collected at albergues. I don't recall there being any places on the CF, other than the parroquial albergue in Granon, that didn't have a stamp. Other routes are different, and I now have credentials with little drawings done by the hospitalero/a or younger family members while I was eating breakfast at their kitchen table, a sticker from a bakery that would normally have been used as a bag closure and where I had the most delightful bocadillo of the whole CP, and some ordinary signatures in other places without a stamp. These make my credentials a wonderful aide memoire for my later pilgrimages.

My wife and I have walked four Camino Frances and I hiked Camino Portuguese from Porto last fall. For CF, we being two pilgrim passports and collect three or four stamps each day. We like the variety, creativity and colors with the passport serving as a souvineer. When we get closer to Santiago, knowing we need two per day, we check available spaces to make sure we don't run out of room. At least two caminos, we arrived in Santiago at the pilgrim's office with only one space remaining. Great memories! Bob

When we get closer to Santiago, knowing we need two per day, we check available spaces to make sure we don't run out of room.
I thought of doing this, but getting another credential was always a more attractive option than losing the opportunity to keep collecting stamps where I stopped. They are only a couple of euro. I now start a longer camino with at least two spare that I then tape to the original as they fill up.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Yes. I know that. My question is what people "usually do".
Then I guess they follow the rules if they want the Compostela, or get a second or third credential if they run out of space. Or don't care about the Compostela and do what they want.

In my case, as I am not usually walking into Santiago, or staying at public albergues, I stamp when and where I feel the urge, as a souvenir of that particular walk.

One per day, to demonstrate your point of origin, and route of march. Then, the mandatory two-per-day once you hit your final 100 Km before Santiago. Most all credencial designs have enough space for at least this many sellos/stamps.

Some people insert additional blank pages, or stitch together multiple credencial booklets, so they can gather as many sellos as they desire. I prefer to manage the available space in my credencial.

Even one additional page for sellos adds a fractional amount of weight.

Obsession about carried weight knows no limits. LOL

That really depends on the person. There isn't a "usually". Some people like to collect as many as they can, valuing the completed credencials as mementos in themselves of the Camino they have completed, looking back at the stamps fondly and remembering where they were collected. Others will just make sure that they have the minimum needed to collect their Compostela (and perhaps their distance certificate), and others care neither for the Compostela nor the stamps and will just receive them when they check into albergues. If you are of either of the last two groups, then one credencial should suffice between SJPP and Santiago. If you find yourself collecting stamps, then you might very well need two. I needed two on the Camino Frances and on my Madrid/Salvador/Primitivo Camino last year, but I lean much more to the first group.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I usually get 1 per day, but, it’s a great memento of your walk. Go for the stamps.

Most read last week in this forum

When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.