• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How much cash to bring?

Varekai

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2024, Camino Ingles
I did a search in this sub-forum but couldn't find anything recent. How much cash should I bring for the Ingles? All of my pre-booked accommodations except one accept credit card. That one place charges 30 euros. I'm going to guess that most dining places along the camino take card with some smaller, more remote places being cash only. Food should be my only expense while I'm walking, so do you think 200 euros (170 after subtracting that one hotel) on hand will be enough for the five day walk?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I would just go to an ATM when you arrive. If you are just 1 person, 200 euros is probably fine. If you need more, there will be banks along the way or in Santiago.

Thanks. My bank only allows two free ATM withdrawals a month, so I need to pace that accordingly on my trip.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks. My bank only allows two free ATM withdrawals a month, so I need to pace that accordingly on my trip.
OK, just think about that when you pay for something and budget accordingly. If they will take a card, then maybe use a card. Some places won't take a card for smaller amounts and have a minimum requirement. It sounds like that is what you will use your cash for mainly. Even grocery stores will accept a card. If you are concerned, then get 300 euros or 250 or something.

@Varekai , yes I think 200 Euros will be more than sufficient. I walked the Inglés in April last year. I used my card whenever possible, and believe I spent 130 euros in cash. I know I started with 200 and came back with quite a bit (I don't remember exactly because I'm a European resident so that's all that's in my wallet!).

It's a lovely camino, enjoy

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I find it's a balancing act, and I still tend to withdraw a little more than I need to avoid having to visit an ATM too often. I have to remind myself that these fees are relatively quite small in the overall costs of travelling.

200 Euros sounds OK, and if not, then one extra withdrawal would almost certainly be enough.

As others have intimated you don’t too much ! The growth of card payment (min Spain and contactless within that), and decline in cash payment has been quite significant, in what is a highly ‘banked’ population,

A few places don’t take cash, some have minimum payments, so always need some of course, so manage that within your allowances. Remember Spain and nearly all Europe, and USA for that matter, change a transaction fee rather than a percentage which some other countries to use.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
As the Ingles is a relatively short Camino of 5 days, I agree with others above that 1) your €200 should be enough, and 2) if you were to run short, you wouldn’t have to do more than one ATM withdrawal. Enjoy your Camino. It’s a wonderful route.

Come to think of it -- given the €30 cash you know you'll need, and maybe food there could be cash only too, maybe start with €250 ?

Considering the overall expense of your Camino, wouldn't it be reasonable to shoulder the additional costs of a few extra ATM withdrawals? As others have pointed out, you may be confronted with places that make you tap or swipe your card, instead of taking cash. If this happens, you wil hit your two free uses per moth very fast.

Try to see the big picture.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Come to think of it -- given the €30 cash you know you'll need, and maybe food there could be cash only too, maybe start with €250 ?
Bearing in mind that the OP doesn't need cash for most accommodation, & only needs cash for the few occasions that they can't use a card I think that'd be excessive. It's only 5 days! On my 2 weeks on the Primitivo in July last year I didn't even manage to spend €200 in cash, and that included three nights accommodation (€85). And as I said above I only spent roughly €130 on the Inglés last year (some of which I could easily have carded).
Most purchases over 10 Euros I paid for with my card, and everything in supermarkets.

Considering the overall expense of your Camino, wouldn't it be reasonable to shoulder the additional costs of a few extra ATM withdrawals? As others have pointed out, you may be confronted with places that make you tap or swipe your card, instead of taking cash. If this happens, you wil hit your two free uses per moth very fast.

Try to see the big picture.

Hope this helps.

Tom
Tapping or swiping your card costs nothing, it's only the ATM withdrawals.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It strikes me that folks view on whether to pay by cash or card is governed by their country of origin rather than what works in Spain! Spain is a highly progressive country that has invested millions in digital payment and is really putting them on the front foot economically. It’s hugely important! If anyone really thinks that organisations who only take cash have lower ‘cost of sale’ overheads than those than work in digital payments… well! I struggle to imagine that folks think that manual payments are cheaper for all parties than digital payments. That’s really not the direction on travel!

I have just returned from a cash economy (Colombia) to a digital economy (UK) and the speed and efficiency difference is amazing. I actually had to get some cash out in UK yesterday as my barber only takes card and my intended £10 withdrawal ended up as £30 by mistake. Many places won’t cash so I was lucky to have the option to map the money back into a bank.

Try and support Spain here you can - this is a big deal to them!

Last edited:
@TravellingMan22 , I agree.

Yes Spain, as with many other countries, used to be a cash society - and in some smaller villages it's still very much is. However as we have discussed here numerous times on the forum COVID changed all of that. Or, perhaps more to the point, increased the speed at which that change was already happening.

Yes, there are costs to a business associated with accepting cards. Those costs have decreased significantly, which has increased acceptance.There are also significant benefits. Hence why so many small businesses in Spain now also accept cards.

There are also costs - and significant risk - to handling cash.

A business would not offer a facility if it did not make economic sense to them. Which is why in some cases they set a lower limit (often €10, occasionally €30 - which is the point in Spain that they legally must offer an alternative method of payment)

Regardless of which method you choose to use those costs are built into the price that you pay.

I have mentioned on a previous thread that I had a conversation with a cafe owner on the Primitivo last year. He told me it was definitely preferable for him to do the majority of his transactions as card, as all of his payments (to his staff, suppliers etc) were electronic. There was no bank in the village and it meant he didn't have to regularly leave town to do his banking. It also made it significantly easier from a tax perspective. Let alone the time-savings. And, as is often said in business - time is money.

Plus of course it improves security - less chance of theft, whether by staff or outsiders.

Personally I always try to have at least a little cash on me - if for no other reason than to be able to give somebody a tip if I feel like it!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I always try to pay in cash because I know there is an upcharge to the vendor for a card.
I dont't know if that is a real problem, I run a small business and I only pay 1.35% transaction fee, taking cash to bank tcosts a lot more than that. At minimum wage it would probably cost half an hour to bank £600. A small business probably takes less than that a day.

I dont't know if that is a real problem, I run a small business and I only pay 1.35% transaction fee, taking cash to bank tcosts a lot more than that. At minimum wage it would probably cost half an hour to bank £600. A small business probably takes less than that a day.
Thanks for that. Possibly different in different countries. My parents paid 5% in their business so always gave a cash discount. Does anyone know the uncharged in Spain? Might help me feel better about cash versus card.

Thanks for that. Possibly different in different countries. My parents paid 5% in their business so always gave a cash discount. Does anyone know the uncharged in Spain? Might help me feel better about cash versus card.
There is quite a bit online about strategies Spanish banks have used to sign up business customers and talks about competitive rates and often mentions 1-2% even for he smallest operators with very small turnovers.

I guess it comes down to how your compare your cost of sale cash vs card. How you measure fraud, theft, time taken to cash money, offering change, etc. I struggle to see how even a 2% rate on a card wouldn’t be beneficial to most business rather then cash.

I know people mean well, but it’s same sort of debate with online bookings. People seem suprised and even unhappy about the fact that they charge a fee, for offering a global reach, payments systems, advertising, reviews etc.

Let’s remember that vendors sign up for this. I do understand that there is an element of ‘me too’ and you have to be in the game but i think we just need to let them manage their businesses!

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I volunteer for a cash only donativo cash network in Spain, so hope people will remember when it comes to having some cash. I will do me and you do you. It is a parallel universe on the Camino from the private systems.

I volunteer for a cash only donativo cash network in Spain, so hope people will remember when it comes to having some cash. I will do me and you do you.
That’s fine of course. People can do what they want. If you are cash only there’s no issue! Just talking the bigger world. Of course if you are a volunteer cash will possibly be cheaper as it is zero costs for your services!!

Last edited:
My wife and I are traveling back to the US today from Spain (no camino this trip). I was surprised with the widespread use of tap payment literally everywhere for all amounts. On the occasions where I presented cash, that seemed to surprise the cashier/host. (fwiw)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There is quite a bit online about strategies Spanish banks have used to sign up business customers and talks about competitive rates and often mentions 1-2% even for he smallest operators with very small turnovers.

I guess it comes down to how your compare your cost of sale cash vs card. How you measure fraud, theft, time taken to cash money, offering change, etc. I struggle to see how even a 2% rate on a card wouldn’t be beneficial to most business rather then cash.

I know people mean well, but it’s same sort of debate with online bookings. People seem suprised and even unhappy about the fact that they charge a fee, for offering a global reach, payments systems, advertising, reviews etc.

Let’s remember that vendors sign up for this. I do understand that there is an element of ‘me too’ and you have to be in the game but i think we just need to let them manage their businesses!
I think there used to be a minimum charge per transaction (somewhere between 10-15c.) which made it prohibitively expensive to take cards for small value transactions. So you might pay 2 or 3% on a €10 transaction but 10% or more on a €1 payment. That's generally the reason for the minimum transaction rule. I'm not sure if that has changed.

I think there used to be a minimum charge per transaction (somewhere between 10-15c.) which made it prohibitively expensive to take cards for small value transactions. So you might pay 2 or 3% on a €10 transaction but 10% or more on a €1 payment. That's generally the reason for the minimum transaction rule. I'm not sure if that has changed.
Indeed.
As usual when you are talking about banks it varies from one to the other. BBVA advertise a minimum fee of 10 cents, whereas Caixa Rural Trust for example advertise no minimum fee.

It does of course also vary on the size of your business. As usual the small businesses pay the most, the bigger you are the less you pay. (Cash handling costs to both merchant and bank are very high, hence why banks are keen to encourage electronic payment)

There are of course a huge number of variables that come into play, as is often the case with bank fees. For example the credit card supplier - some charge the retailer significantly more than others. Whether the transaction is CP ( Card present)or CNP ( card not present/eg online). The later of course involving a much higher risk, hence a higher cost. The list goes on.

It would be interesting to hear from someone with a business in Spain (or at least with a friend who is a Spanish business owner). @Rebekah Scott perhaps?

I recommend to anyone traveling to have debit or credit cards from two different banks, and at least one of them should be one of those banks that reimburses all ATM fees. Also, when you use a card for payment make your payment in local currency. Your bank will give you a better exchange rate than their bank will.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I fly to A Coruña this Wednesday to start walking from Ferrol on Thursday (yes I've packed all the waterproofs 🫣)... I was planning on using the same pilgrim passport that I used on the St James'...
Hello! Excited first time pilgrim here, flying into A Coruña and starting in Ferrol end of May. I have a lot of questions, so any thoughts from recent experiences are welcome! - Not sure my...
Hi! Im currently on the Ingles, and I just wanna sing the praises of a stop in Mino. I had some extra time and so had decided to break up the camino to start on the 8th and arrive in to Santiago...
Hi everyone, Planning for our first Camino is going well, we've booked flights, most of the accommodation to suit our Camino but I'm getting a little stuck when it comes to Presedo. As most of...
I'll be flying into A Coruña this Monday along with my mother and husband, and I haven't quite figured out how to catch the bus from A Coruña to Ferrol. From what I gather, one must take a bus...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back