• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to book my own lodging - what sites to use

MarkS

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2024
Hopefully a simple question here. We are going to start the Camino Frances early May. If we choose to book our lodgings ourselves, just a few days in advance, rather than go with a travel service that wants to book the entire way from SJPdP to Santiago, what online site do I use to make my bookings?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I found the booking.com site worked well. Easy to track what days I had booked ahead. I used Gronze also but sometimes I didn't see a reply until later when I could access my email.

Probably the most comprehensive would be to use an App or use Gronze.com to get the information. There is no one central location for booking. Some albergues and hotels use Booking.com, but don't release all the beds and rooms there so it can sometimes look full. I always find it easier to call or send a WhatsApp directly to the place I want a bed, unless they have a website with a place to make reservations directly.

Edit: I want to reinforce that Booking.com does not have all the beds available on the Camino so don't panic if it seems they are showing no vacancies on Booking.com.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I use Gronze to identify possible places, go to booking.com, tripadvisor, etc. to read reviews (and in particular, to make sure that the place is not too far off the Camino, as some are) -- these two steps done in advance of the trip so I have a list of potential places -- and then I book by sending an email or whatsapp text directly to the albergue.

Hopefully a simple question here. We are going to start the Camino Frances early May. If we choose to book our lodgings ourselves, just a few days in advance, rather than go with a travel service that wants to book the entire way from SJPdP to Santiago, what online site do I use to make my bookings?
Pay attention to what @J Willhaus said. Booking dot com does not have access to all rooms/beds in any place: The sites may still have places. The best is to book ahead by phone/Whatsapp/email a day or two ahead. It will take a small effort re Spanish language, though. A good app on your phone will be a great help to you.

Also remember: Booking dot com charges the albergues a fee, reducing their income: Better to book directly, in order to support local communities economically, IMHO.

Personally, after 16 years on different Caminos, I use the @wisepilgrim apps, also for the Camino Frances; It has all I need, including phone numbers and Whatsapp assistance for reserving a bed at most of the albergues/hostals/hotels. At some 5€ it is a bargain. It is also a good tool for planning your walk.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Gronze is great to identify places where you want to stay. It's only in Spanish, but if you use the Chrome browser it will translate automatically to English or the language of your choice. They list the contact information for each property, and those that use booking.com have a link for that. When I contact a place directly I like to use WhatsApp.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Gronze and Wise Pilgrim both are simple to use pretty comprehensive info and more than enough for the Frances!

I have been using onlypilgrims.com very successfully. If I were more confident with my Spanish language, I might go directly to WhatsApp.

Let me underline one point.

If the app gives you WhatsApp contact information for a destination, download WhatsApp and use it. Several accommodations do not respond in a timely manner to straight email, and may not be able to answer a phone, but will respond quickly to WhatsApp.

This is not a judgement statement, but an observation based on personal experience and on reading this forum.

When in Rome.... 😉

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The Wise Pilgrim app has a feature that will compose a message for you in Spanish (or Portuguese or French, depending on the route), that makes it really easy.

You just long press on WhatsApp number.

Screenshot_20240309_074119_Frances.jpg

Then you choose the date, number of people, and type of accommodation you are inquiring about.

Screenshot_20240309_073940_Frances.jpg

And the message is created for you.

At this point I save the number to my contacts.

Screenshot_20240309_074519_WhatsApp.jpg

Which is really easy because all the information is already filled out.

Screenshot_20240309_074609_WhatsApp.jpg

The Wise Pilgrim app has a feature that will compose a message for you in Spanish (or Portuguese or French, depending on the route), that makes it really easy.

View attachment 165850

Then you choose the date, number of people, and type of accommodation you are inquiring about.

View attachment 165851

View attachment 165852

View attachment 165853
Thank you trecile!

Hello there
We booked the majority of our stays using Booking.com and several via phone. It worked very well for us and we appreciated knowing our daily destination. We also started May 1 and completed June 9.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
"Bookings" is effective for finding and securing lodging but if you have any problems or need to cancel while in Spain. You will be frustrated. We found a Hostal closed with a cryptic note it was 3: PM. We found other lodging and were "charged". We were ahead of schedule (weather) and couldn't cancel "charged" although we went to the place early the day before.
I use Brierley's guide. / godesalco.com / gronze.com / for planning but scheduling our whole way was an expensive mistake. Lesson learned. We could have done it daily but as we were five and I was the planner.

We have done 4 Caminos, and for all of them booked all accommodation in advance for the entire trip. We know what we can comfortably walk each day, so based on that choose accommodation from booking, Gronze or Google maps. I only have basic Spanish but Google translate works fine for drafting mails. True though that not all places do email,and sometimes a call is needed. The wisepilgrim app that auto drafts WhatsApp is a brilliant tool I did not know about, and would be really useful. Buen Camino

Hi,you get a listing of all the albergues in SJPP from the pilgrim’s office. I just booked my first night inSJPP and then used the list to reserve next one or not. What’s app , called he day before the albergue as well as used Gonze.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There is no real app for booking. Mail, whatsapp and phone are the way. If you don't speak Spanish, you can ask others to phone for you, it is a quit.common thing on the Camino. 90% of the pilgrims do it like this.
Booking can be handy, but know that the by far most of the real pilgrim places are not on booking. You will miss these if you just use that.

View attachment 165850

View attachment 165851

View attachment 165852

View attachment 165853
I love wise Pilgrim but I have to say I didn't know that. I'm proof that you're never to old to learn. Thank you for this useful information, must have a play now.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We could have done it daily but as we were five and I was the planner.
I was the planner for five in 2020, the year of lockdowns and cancellations. I'd booked everything through Booking.com and it was a godsend! It took me less than 15 minutes to cancel a full month of reservations. I wouldn't let "one bad apple spoil the whole bunch".

I use Gronze to identify possible places, go to booking.com, tripadvisor, etc. to read reviews (and in particular, to make sure that the place is not too far off the Camino, as some are) -- these two steps done in advance of the trip so I have a list of potential places -- and then I book by sending an email or whatsapp text directly to the albergue.
Hi. If you inquire directly to the albergue, does it have to be in Spanish?

Oops, nevermind, I've seen other posts that say that WisePilgrim will compose in Spanish for you. That's helpful.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have booked 59 days from SJPdP to SDC. and 59 days LE PUY to SJPdP and alway used Spanish or French in my opening greeting. Then the inquiry said we were from New Zealand and at the age of 79 & 80 were prebooking our nights. All places responded quickly and easily. Politeness and respect got me 118 booked nights. I used Gronze for distance and altitude days then identified the places and went direct or booking.com

I have booked 59 days from SJPdP to SDC. and 59 days LE PUY to SJPdP and alway used Spanish or French in my opening greeting. Then the inquiry said we were from New Zealand and at the age of 79 & 80 were prebooking our nights. All places responded quickly and easily. Politeness and respect got me 118 booked nights. I used Gronze for distance and altitude days then identified the places and went direct or booking.com
Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what you mean by "distance and altitude days," and what the rest of that sentence means in relation to that. Do you mean days when the altitude or distance was too much for you to take on?

No you need to judge the distance taking on to account the terrain. If its a climb of 2 to 300meters then maybe you need to shorten the distance. If it's flat then lengthen the distance.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.