• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to remove tracks from google maps

peregrina2000

Staff member
I stumbled across this map a year or two back, it might have been here, it might have been somewhere else. Likely it is not EVERY Camino in Spain, but the majors are there and there is a lot of detail. Respect to whoever created it:

If you like something printed, i can recommend this Map. A bit on the cheap side, but very detailled:

Now I need some help. I clicked on the google map link, and now my google map app shows all of these routes. I just wanted to look at the map, not download it!

Can anyone tell me how to delete it from my googlemaps?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Now I need some help. I clicked on the google map link, and now my google map app shows all of these routes. I just wanted to look at the map, not download it!

when i click on it, it shows all the data in the app. when i close the app and open it again it is plain google maps again. did you close the app or just minimize it?

when i click on it, it shows all the data in the app. when i close the app and open it again it is plain google maps again. did you close the app or just minimize it?
I have spent some time trying to figure out how to close the app. What I am seeing is that Google maps is necessarily linked to my Gmail account unless I delete my Gmail account from Google Maps. I’m not really sure how to do that, but I think I can figure that out. my question is whether I will lose all of the off-line maps. I have stored on Google maps if I log out.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Could you check this link: https://support.google.com/android/answer/9079646?hl=en#zippy=,close-apps
Not sure how it works on your phone model, on mine i swipe from the bottom upwards and let go and then have like a little window of the apps that are active... hard to describe, sorry. hope the link works.
It should not have any influence on your downloaded offline maps, but try it somewhere where you have wifi... just to be safe.

edit: found a video that shows how it is done:

Top right hand corner of Google map app, select the 'layers' icon, then deselect CNIG Camino's in bottom left hand corner

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230719-161751~2.png
    Screenshot_20230719-161751~2.png
    144.9 KB · Views: 35
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Just to say that I moved this out of the thread where it was clogging things up, and am hopeful that I will figure this out! Thanks to all who are trying to help.

I am trying to get these tracks off an ipad, and the android instructions don’t work for me.

When you are logged into Google Maps your icon appears up the top. In Android phones it is top right.

Touch it.
Then touch saved in the menu that appears.
Then scroll the new screen as far up as possible.
Then touch Maps.

Hopefully you have more than one map now showing.

Touch any of them other than the top one

Then go back to what ever you were doing before.

Last edited:
Sorry that was short. I am in a moving bus that is jiggling around and I only have my phone to type with

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In time they will disappear on their own

Just to say that I moved this out of the thread where it was clogging things up, and am hopeful that I will figure this out! Thanks to all who are trying to help.

I am trying to get these tracks off an ipad, and the android instructions don’t work for me.
Sorry my android specific instructions didn't help, and don't have access to an iPhone or iPad 😕

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I struggle with Google Maps as well. I’ve notice some features are not available on a iPhone within the app. To delete maps / tracks I had to sign on to Google Maps on my laptop and delete them. You may be able to sign into Google Maps on a browser on an iPhone and delete them as the delete feature is not available within the phone app.

I struggle with Google Maps as well. I’ve notice some features are not available on a iPhone within the app. To delete maps / tracks I had to sign on to Google Maps on my laptop and delete them. You may be able to sign into Google Maps on a browser on an iPhone and delete them as the delete feature is not available within the phone app.
That is because you misunderstood where they are stored.

See: https://support.google.com/mymaps/answer/7629390?hl=en

If you want to completely delete a map. It can only be done in the My Maps app.

The instructions that I provided above will work to stop Google Maps from displaying the particular map that @peregrina2000 asked about.

It will still exist in her saved Maps list but it won't pollute the display and overwhelm it.

Hmm, I think the above article seems to confirm you must sign into a computer not an iPhone as I noted. But no matter, I’ve found my way of doing things and I’m sure others have found others.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Drats, I was very hopeful. Nothing in bottom left hand corner. Thanks for trying!

Actually thanks for this. For me when I click on the CNIG Caminos I get the options to turn off what is shown. So if you can do that you could remove all the check marks and the data would disappear from the map. At least that is how it worked on my phone.

Looking at it more (and now from my computer). it looks like this is actually a google maps "My Maps".
The instructions to delete a My Maps I copied for you below. To get into my maps, try this link
https://www.google.com/maps/about/mymaps/

it should be your normal google log in. Once logged in I can see the copy of this map. You might not have a copy, if not look under the "not owned" tap.

1689875205819.png
---------------------

Delete a map from My Maps​

You can remove your maps from My Maps when you don’t need them anymore. You can move the map to your trash in My Maps, but to completely delete it, you need to use Google Drive.

Step 1: Move the map to the trash​

1. On your computer, sign in to My Maps.
  2. Next to the map you want to remove, click More
    More
    and then
    Move to trash.
Your map will stay in the trash until you empty it in Google Drive.

Step 2: Empty the trash in Google Drive​

To finish removing the map, delete it from Google Drive. Learn how to remove the files in your Google Drive trash.

Delete shared maps​

You can remove My Maps that you have shared with others, or that someone else has shared with you. When you delete:
  • Maps owned by you: Other people can’t see or edit your map if it’s in the trash. If you want to let others use the map, make someone else the owner before you delete it.
  • Maps owned by someone else: If you delete someone else's map, it only affects you. Others will still be able to see the map.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.