• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How was your volunteering?

Yellowfriend

Time of past OR future Camino
Porto- Santiago / Fisterra- Muxia sept 2016
SJPP- Santiago may 2017planninh
Hi all,
Are there tips or advices when volunteering?
Looking forward but it’s also exciting 😅👣👣
Thanks!

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have been a volunteer hospitalera in five different albergues. My husband has done six albergues as he served in one extra one alone in fall 2021 as the Camino was reopening from Covid. All wonderful experiences that keep us coming back.

What is it you want to know? Here's one practical tip. Bring your own pair of rubber gloves for cleaning.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It is very rewarding but the day is broken up into stints of lots of activity like preparing breakfast and cleaning, then hours of waiting for the next wave of pilgrims. Checking in the new pilgrims can be hectic because sometimes they all arrive at once. If you are preparing dinner, it is an interesting experience. Plan on hours of inactivity, so plan your day accordingly, bring a book or find local points of interest to walk to between 10 and 14 to fill your time.

I don't know what it's like nowadays, but back in 1999, I volunteered in the refugio in Belorado, which was run by the Swiss Confraternity, iirc. My day began quite early - going to the refugio and giving it a good clean, and also helping any stray pilgrims who, for one reason or another, hadn't been able to continue. In those days, fresh pilgrims would start arriving very early, from 10 a.m. onwards, and would leave their packs lined up outside the door, while they went off to find breakfast/lunch etc.

Once we opened the doors (1 p.m., I think, or earlier if we finished cleaning quickly), we registered the pilgrims, and then stayed with them to help out with whatever until clocking off around 8 p.m.

The thing I most remember is how many people arrived in a sorry physical or mental state. It was easy enough to deal with blisters, tendonitis, exhaustion etc., but those who needed something else - well, they could require hours of your time. I heard some horrific back-stories. I probably lost count of the number of people who thanked me and told me they felt much better for unburdening themselves. I always felt glad that I'd been able to help, but the stories stayed with me, long after they'd walked on, feeling lighter, and I sometimes dreaded the next wave of pilgrims, because I wasn't sure I could cope if one of them had a sad story to tell.

I volunteered once in 2017 in a private donativo albergue on the Norte, but it wasn't for me. This was my schedule:

7.00 Getting up to prepare breakfast
7.30 Waking up pilgrims with music, serving breakfast, clear afterwards, get them all out of the door
9.00 Start cleaning
12.00 Free time (my golden hours)
15.00 Being present to receive and register pilgrims
18.00 Help preparing dinner
19.30 Dinner with pilgrims, cleaning up after dinner
22.00 Bedtime

The work wasn't even the hardest part. In those 2,5 weeks I learned how big of an introvert I was. Apart from those few hours in the middle of the day I was never alone. Not even in my bedroom (which I had to share with a very talkative friend of the owner). It wore me out and I am afraid I'll never be a hospitalera again.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Phil and I make a good team. He always has a listening ear for pilgrims and he is the best bed bug inspector. I usually do the bathrooms while he dons his headlamp and inspects and wipes all beds down. In places where we used the steamer regularly for bed bug control he managed that task. Whoever gets done first with those initial chores starts on the kitchen, then finishes with shaking out the mats, sweeping and mopping bunk rooms and common areas, and we both put in loads of sheets and kitchen towels, hang them to dry, and fold them for the next round of pilgrims. We usually shop together for food if we are cooking for or with pilgrims. I usually do any of the cooking either by myself or with pilgrims.

This year Phil had the job of taking pilgrims on tours of the community church and medieval tower. He also cleaned the church and tower and took pilgrims to watch the sunset. He stayed up late until all the village activity was quiet and pilgrims were in bed. I usually went to bed early and got up early to make breakfast.

It there is down time we go for a walk or occasionally grab a quick nap.

I have to say, from a pilgrim viewpoint, that I detest the idea of live-in hospitaleros. I never came across them on any of my walks, but I see that they are quite common nowadays. I enjoyed my stint as an hospitalera, and I would volunteer again, but it's unclear to me whether there are still refugios where the hospitalero/as retreat at the end of the evening, and leave the pilgrims to it.

I have to say, from a pilgrim viewpoint, that I detest the idea of live-in hospitaleros. I never came across them on any of my walks, but I see that they are quite common nowadays. I enjoyed my stint as an hospitalera, and I would volunteer again, but it's unclear to me whether there are still refugios where the hospitalero/as retreat at the end of the evening, and leave the pilgrims to it.
Certainly the wonderful Arroyo San Bol on the Frances, for one.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
it's unclear to me whether there are still refugios where the hospitalero/as retreat at the end of the evening, and leave the pilgrims to it.
The Xunta albergues in Galicia only have municipal employees that come in to register pilgrims in the afternoon, and I presume that they or someone else goes in to clean in the morning.

On the less traveled routes it's common to register and pick up the albergue key at a nearby bar.

I volunteered at San Nicolas Del Fluë in Ponferrada 2002.

Then on to Guacelmo in Rabanal del Camino in 2004.

Both, times were fun. Lots of hard work.

It’s nice to see the other side of pilgrim life.

I also enjoyed being in one place for several weeks, to be a part of local life for more than a day.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I started volunteering through HOSVOL in 2012 at Albergue San Juan Bautista in Grañón after having walked the Francés in 2010 and the Vía de la Plata in 2011. In 2013 I was in El Burgo Ranero.

I've also volunteered in Ponferrada twice, Nájera and Zamora. The last few years I haven't been able to combine walking and volunteering (always my combo) as I have a dog and don't want to be away for so long. Maybe one day I'll do it again. It's definitely a worthwhile albeit exhausting experience.

I have volunteered four different times. My first was in Salamanca, I was alone, had very little time to myself and left unsatisfied. My second was in Estella with a wonderful Spaniard, Felix, and my energy and enthusiasm returned. Next my wonderful wife and I hosted at Ribadiso, WOW!, we were fortunate to return and Pam with a friend. Maria were back in 2023 ( I walked the French Camino). Being a Hospitalero is a reward with the benefits of meeting the world

Hi all,
Thanks!
I walked the Camino Frances in 2021 and worked as a volunteer in the wonderful hostel Perigrinos do Porto in the city of Porto, Portugal in April, 2023. I was there for two weeks before starting the Portuguese Camino. It was a great experience. Our routine was cleaning after all pilgrims had left in the morning. This was the most intense work time of the day. We had a rather late lunch all together which was a great way to bond. I would say the most important thing to remember is that there is a routine already established. It is for the new hospitalera/o to fit in. Ask questions of the person who is the team leader and follow their instructions. Part of the work is also to be aware of the psychological state of some pilgrims and to tactfully be open to listening to them, reassuring them, referring them when necessary.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I walked the Camino Frances in 2021 and worked as a volunteer in the wonderful hostel Perigrinos do Porto in the city of Porto, Portugal in April, 2023. I was there for two weeks before starting the Portuguese Camino. It was a great experience. Our routine was cleaning after all pilgrims had left in the morning. This was the most intense work time of the day. We had a rather late lunch all together which was a great way to bond. I would say the most important thing to remember is that there is a routine already established. It is for the new hospitalera/o to fit in. Ask questions of the person who is the team leader and follow their instructions. Part of the work is also to be aware of the psychological state of some pilgrims and to tactfully be open to listening to them, reassuring them, referring them when necessary.
Hi,
Thanks for responding. I am going there too in januari, it’s quite exciting I feel. I am a social worker so am not insecure about that part, but staying 2,5 weeks in a strange place , bit nervous. 😊

I don't know what it's like nowadays, but back in 1999, I volunteered in the refugio in Belorado, which was run by the Swiss Confraternity, iirc. My day began quite early - going to the refugio and giving it a good clean, and also helping any stray pilgrims who, for one reason or another, hadn't been able to continue. In those days, fresh pilgrims would start arriving very early, from 10 a.m. onwards, and would leave their packs lined up outside the door, while they went off to find breakfast/lunch etc.

Once we opened the doors (1 p.m., I think, or earlier if we finished cleaning quickly), we registered the pilgrims, and then stayed with them to help out with whatever until clocking off around 8 p.m.

The thing I most remember is how many people arrived in a sorry physical or mental state. It was easy enough to deal with blisters, tendonitis, exhaustion etc., but those who needed something else - well, they could require hours of your time. I heard some horrific back-stories. I probably lost count of the number of people who thanked me and told me they felt much better for unburdening themselves. I always felt glad that I'd been able to help, but the stories stayed with me, long after they'd walked on, feeling lighter, and I sometimes dreaded the next wave of pilgrims, because I wasn't sure I could cope if one of them had a sad story to tell.
Thank for your answer. I am a social worker so I hope dealing and listening to their problems is not the most difficult for me, but dealing with blisters etc… I am not a nurse.
But I am looking forward though I also feel bit nervous how it will be 2,5 weeks 😊

Hi,
Thanks for responding. I am going there too in januari, it’s quite exciting I feel. I am a social worker so am not insecure about that part, but staying 2,5 weeks in a strange place , bit nervous. 😊
I'm a retired social worker too The place soon becomes your home. I was happy to have a tiny little bedroom all to myself right next to the bathroom dedicated to the hospitaleras.

Hi,
I would say one of the most enjoyable parts for us was to be a temporary part of a community. The pace of life was different and for us very enjoyable. In small towns, we would get our shopping cart and walk to the bakery, the fruit and vegetable store, maybe the meat shop or cheese shop, and stop off at the grocery store for anything else. I enjoyed attending church with the locals. Everyone of course knew us as Los Hospitaleros and liked to stop us and chat about the numbers of pilgrims and where they might be from. In the smallest towns it was a form of entertainment and news especially for the older women to know the goings on at "their" albergue. At Christmas one year we were invited to as impartial judges for the local community nativity scenes and we got to participate in the local festival by cheering on racers and sampling baked goods.

Thank for your answer. I am a social worker so I hope dealing and listening to their problems is not the most difficult for me, but dealing with blisters etc… I am not a nurse.
But I am looking forward though I also feel bit nervous how it will be 2,5 weeks 😊
I'm not a social worker - I'm a teacher (think there's an element of social work in there!). Learning how to deal with minor physical ailments is very easy, even if you're a bit squeamish! I think the 'being a shoulder to lean on' thing is amplified by the fact that sometimes you have to try to offer comfort/advice in a language which may not be your own!

I would say one of the most enjoyable parts for us was to be a temporary part of a community. The pace of life was different and for us very enjoyable. In small towns, we would get our shopping cart and walk to the bakery, the fruit and vegetable store, maybe the meat shop or cheese shop, and stop off at the grocery store for anything else. I enjoyed attending church with the locals. Everyone of course knew us as Los Hospitaleros and liked to stop us and chat about the numbers of pilgrims and where they might be from. In the smallest towns it was a form of entertainment and news especially for the older women to know the goings on at "their" albergue. At Christmas one year we were invited to as impartial judges for the local community nativity scenes and we got to participate in the local festival by cheering on racers and sampling baked goods.
I totally agree. For that reason, Belorado will always have a special place in my heart! Hoping to revisit it for the first time in many a long year, at the end of February next year. I never actually worked at the municipal refugio in Hornillos del Camino, but I was great friends with the hospitalera, Hortensia. I did, however, spend my weekends and summer holidays working in the only bar in the village (at that time), Casa Manolo, and similarly got to know all the permanent residents (pop. 18) extremely well.

I'm a retired social worker too The place soon becomes your home. I was happy to have a tiny little bedroom all to myself right next to the bathroom dedicated to the

I'm not a social worker - I'm a teacher (think there's an element of social work in there!). Learning how to deal with minor physical ailments is very easy, even if you're a bit squeamish! I think the 'being a shoulder to lean on' thing is amplified by the fact that sometimes you have to try to offer comfort/advice in a language which may not be your own!
Yes that’s not easy but I think when not speaking the language the other person can feel comfort and understanding I hope. And maybe use google translate when important story to tell 🙏🏽

My husband used Google Translate to talk with a distressed woman from Russia one year for more than an hour. She was "looking for an answer to a question" while she walked and she and Phil talked about this using their phones quietly in the corner. It seemed a great comfort to her as she said she spoke only Russian and had met no one else who could understand her. Just listening is a beautiful skill...

My husband used Google Translate to talk with a distressed woman from Russia one year for more than an hour. She was "looking for an answer to a question" while she walked and she and Phil talked about this using their phones quietly in the corner. It seemed a great comfort to her as she said she spoke only Russian and had met no one else who could understand her. Just listening is a beautiful skill...
Agree ♥️

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi all,
Thanks!
I volunteered last year with Camino Companions, based in Room 6 of the Pilgrims office. We offer a welcome to English speaking pilgrims. There's tea/coffee available and a chance to get together with other pilgrims to share experiences. We also offer a one to one session for anyone who needs it. We also help to facilitate the Mass in English, celebrated by the wonderful Fr Manny, who really involves the pilgrims in the Mass by inviting them to introduce themselves and to light a candle and/or say a prayer of intention. I found the experience so rewarding, but sometimes emotionally tiring. I'm due to return for 2 weeks next Spring.

I volunteered last year with Camino Companions, based in Room 6 of the Pilgrims office. We offer a welcome to English speaking pilgrims. There's tea/coffee available and a chance to get together with other pilgrims to share experiences. We also offer a one to one session for anyone who needs it. We also help to facilitate the Mass in English, celebrated by the wonderful Fr Manny, who really involves the pilgrims in the Mass by inviting them to introduce themselves and to light a candle and/or say a prayer of intention. I found the experience so rewarding, but sometimes emotionally tiring. I'm due to return for 2 weeks next Spring.
Manny is a gem.

I have to say, from a pilgrim viewpoint, that I detest the idea of live-in hospitaleros.
Where I volunteered more than twolve months spread over 4½ years, the owner of the building required to have one staff member on site all night. Had a bed in the office that pilgrims couldn’t get to. Everyone else was in another house in the village or in another village two kilometers away. Once in a great while the “night person” had to reset the circuit breakers.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Gail - when in Spring will you be back with the CCs? I’m hoping to volunteer at the Pilgrim Office again the last two weeks of May next year - it would be wonderful to catch up if our dates coincide! It would be three years in a row!
Best, best wishes from Sydney -
Jenny
And PS - Fr. Manny truly is a Camino Angel.

Hi @Yellowfriend -

I’ve volunteered three times at Refugio Gaucelmo at Rabanal 2014, 2016 and 2018, and once at the Pilgrim Office in Santiago - last two weeks of July this year.

All the experiences brought their own challenges and gifts but all were incredibly rewarding. I found being a hospitalera at Rabanal very tiring as basically I was on duty from 6am to 10.30 pm for fourteen days straight and there was very little time off. You definitely need to pace yourself as much as you can - sometimes not easy to do as there’s so much work to do. Maybe bring or buy some multivitamins to take if you feel your energy start to wane. The opportunity to spend time with pilgrims each day was wonderful - to hear their stories if they wished to share and to give help when needed - sometimes to be a shoulder for them to cry on in particular.

Tip for being a hospitalera - go with a really open mind. I always say that hospitalering is like jumping into Forrest Gump’s box of chocolates - you never know WHO you’re going to get. Throw three or four strangers into a tiring work situation for two weeks and it’s sometimes a bit difficult - especially as the days pass - look after yourself and kindly remind everyone that you’re all volunteers (if you need to).

The Pilgrim Office for me was like Baby Bear’s porridge - Just Right. I worked five hours a day with the full-time staff, volunteers from other Spanish cities and overseas volunteers. I issued the compostelas which was an absolute privilege. My Spanish is limited but I found, as has been shared by others who’ve volunteered at the Pilgrim Office, that a smile and being welcoming works across so many languages. Our accommodation at San Lázaro was fabulous - so spacious and secure - it was a tranquil sanctuary after the busyness of the Old Town in the days leading up to the Feast of St James. And I also was able to spend time with the Camino Companions, of which Gail who posted above was one - what a wonderful support the CCs give to pilgrims. I’m hopefully volunteering at the Pilgrim Office again next year for the last two weeks in May - I cannot wait!

Have a beautiful volunteering experience -

Best, best wishes from Oz -
Jenny

Last edited:
I am curious. Why such a strong reaction to resident hospitaleros?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
a@Kirkie @dick bird @Flog
I have not mastered the art of quoting, clearly. Why do I dislike the idea of live-in hospitaleros so much? I think it's because it seems rather like being nannied. Why on earth do adults need a nanny? I was lucky enough to do a wonderful first camino, and one of the places I stayed in was Grañon. It was a fantastic, unmanned refuge - its motto, something like 'leave what you can, take what you need' - remains with me to this day, 25 years later. I recently watched a video - I think it was one of @NadineK 's, in which she stayed at that refuge. It looked horrific - yes, let's encourage people to explore their musical side, whether others want to listen, or not. Let's get everybody to open up about themselves, whether they want to, or not. Hospitaleros front and forward. It made me feel sad - the magic of that refugio, for me, was the welcome, and then the silence. Once again, let me reiterate, this is my own personal opinion, and I'm well aware that others love the communal dinners, and the 'sharing'. Just not my thing. From an hospitalero point of view, as I've mentioned above, depending on your level of empathy, dealing with pilgrims can be emotionally draining. I think it's healthy for the hospitaleros to be able to retreat elsewhere.

I have not mastered the art of quoting, clearly. Why do I dislike the idea of live-in hospitaleros so much? I think it's because it seems rather like being nannied. Why on earth do adults need a nanny? I was lucky enough to do a wonderful first camino, and one of the places I stayed in was Grañon. It was a fantastic, unmanned refuge - its motto, something like 'leave what you can, take what you need' - remains with me to this day, 25 years later. I recently watched a video - I think it was one of @NadineK 's, in which she stayed at that refuge. It looked horrific - yes, let's encourage people to explore their musical side, whether others want to listen, or not. Let's get everybody to open up about themselves, whether they want to, or not. Hospitaleros front and forward. It made me feel sad - the magic of that refugio, for me, was the welcome, and then the silence. Once again, let me reiterate, this is my own personal opinion, and I'm well aware that others love the communal dinners, and the 'sharing'. Just not my thing. From an hospitalero point of view, as I've mentioned above, depending on your level of empathy, dealing with pilgrims can be emotionally draining. I think it's healthy for the hospitaleros to be able to retreat elsewhere.
Thank you for your explanation.

Hmmn...what you dislike is what I loved and why I wanted to volunteer there. We are all different.

Why do I dislike the idea of live-in hospitaleros so much? I think it's because it seems rather like being nannied. Why on earth do adults need a nanny?
Unfortunately, not all adults are capable of behaving like responsible adults, and sometimes, more often in these times of personal entitlement, there needs to be a responsible and accountable adult on hand, as simple as that.

I was lucky enough to do a wonderful first camino, and one of the places I stayed in was Grañon. It was a fantastic, unmanned refuge - its motto, something like 'leave what you can, take what you need' - remains with me to this day, 25 years later. I recently watched a video - I think it was one of @NadineK 's, in which she stayed at that refuge. It looked horrific - yes, let's encourage people to explore their musical side, whether others want to listen, or not. Let's get everybody to open up about themselves, whether they want to, or not. Hospitaleros front and forward. It made me feel sad - the magic of that refugio, for me, was the welcome, and then the silence.
Yes, there are those places, where it has become institutional to share and open up in a forced way that many of us are uncomfortable with and I largely share your view on this. Two such places in particular, that are regularly gushed about on this forum come to mind..

But volunteer hospis give up their time for free to help others, let's appreciate that..

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hmmn...what you dislike is what I loved and why I wanted to volunteer there. We are all different.
As I think I've said on more than one occasion, this is my own personal opinion, which I appreciate is not shared by everyone. A chacun son goût, as they say.

Unfortunately, not all adults are capable of behaving like responsible adults, and sometimes, more often in these times of personal entitlement, there needs to be a responsible and accountable adult on hand, as simple as that.

Yes, there are those places, where it has become institutional to share and open up in a forced way that many of us are uncomfortable with and I largely share your view on this. Two such places in particular, that are regularly gushed about on this forum come to mind..

But volunteer hospis give up their time for free to help others, let's appreciate that..
In no way do I wish to disparage the people who give up their time to do this. Being an hospitalero/a is a time-consuming/emotionally-consuming activity. I respect and admire all those who do it.

I have to say, from a pilgrim viewpoint, that I detest the idea of live-in hospitaleros.
From my pilgrim point of view it generally doesn't make a difference to me where the hospitaleros choose to sleep, although I can see that it may be advantageous to have a hospitalero handy were an emergency to crop up. I've slept in albergues where there was no hospitalero present, where one just came to sign you in, where they stayed around and may or may not have left (I didn't always pay to much attention to that) and where they were living on site. Having them around didn't detract from my pilgrim experience, certainly not enough to make me detest having them live on site.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Why do I dislike the idea of live-in hospitaleros so much? I think it's because it seems rather like being nannied. Why on earth do adults need a nanny?
I guess the difference may be that I don't necessarily see it as being nannied. Maybe it is just the place that is available for the hospitalero/a/e to sleep. Some people make their homes into albergues. Should they be looking elsewhere to sleep? I think the sense of being nannied comes more from the attitude of the hospitaleros than from where they sleep.

As I think I've said on more than one occasion, this is my own personal opinion, which I appreciate is not shared by everyone. A chacun son goût, as they say.
There are still plenty of places where the hospitalero checks you in, helps with any issues, then retreats to their own space. Best wishes and hoping you'll find places that fit your hospitalero style.

Once again, let me reiterate that I simply stated my own opinion, and that I have the utmost respect and admiration for those who give up their time to volunteer. It hasn't escaped my notice that I've had not one comment of support or agreement, so I suppose I must just be an exception to the norm.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Once again, let me reiterate that I simply stated my own opinion, and that I have the utmost respect and admiration for those who give up their time to volunteer. It hasn't escaped my notice that I've had not one comment of support or agreement, so I suppose I must just be an exception to the norm.

I think I 'get' where you are coming from.

It's maybe not whether the Hospi stays on site or not, it's more about what they do whilst on site!
I've stayed in places where the Hospi lived on site, and it mattered not to me. I only saw them at checkin and if there was an evening meal.

Other places someone registered us and we never saw them again,

And there were places where no one was on site at all, and a key or entry code was required.
I enjoyed them all.

But if you are talking about the Hospi staying on site to lead 'enforced' communal activities, I would be running for the door too :oops: Just not my thing. :(

But it's a question of levels I suppose.
The communal afternoon tea at Gaucelmo in Rabanal was quite nice.

Feeling obliged to sing Kumbaya around the campfire..........maybe not. :oops:

But it takes all kinds.

My best night ever in an Albergue was in Villavieja on the Invierno.

A key code entry. Never saw the caretaker.
A wonderfully equipped Albergue with stunning views.
And I was the only person staying there :)
And no residents even 'visible' in the village!

Hi Gail - when in Spring will you be back with the CCs? I’m hoping to volunteer at the Pilgrim Office again the last two weeks of May next year - it would be wonderful to catch up if our dates coincide! It would be three years in a row!
Best, best wishes from Sydney -
Jenny
And PS - Fr. Manny truly is a Camino Angel.
Hi Jenny!! How lovely to see you on the forum. It was great seeing you in Santiago earlier this year. Kelly and I will be volunteering for 2 weeks, arriving on 22nd April and finishing on 5th May. What a shame our dates don't co-incide. I know both Kelly and I would love to see you again. Kelly may stay on after her volunteering stint, so you never know ....

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Jenny!! How lovely to see you on the forum. It was great seeing you in Santiago earlier this year. Kelly and I will be volunteering for 2 weeks, arriving on 22nd April and finishing on 5th May. What a shame our dates don't co-incide. I know both Kelly and I would love to see you again. Kelly may stay on after her volunteering stint, so you never know ....
Hi Gail -

It’s wonderful you and Kelly are volunteering together again! You two are the “A” team (awesome team!) of volunteers. Have a brilliant time together.

Fingers crossed that I might catch up with Kelly … that would be fantastic.

xx J

Hi Gail -

It’s wonderful you and Kelly are volunteering together again! You two are the “A” team (awesome team!) of volunteers. Have a brilliant time together.

Fingers crossed that I might catch up with Kelly … that would be fantastic.

xx J
Thanks Jenny

Enjoy your volunteering stint too. I'm sorry I'll miss you, but maybe next time......😊

I have told this before, but for new members:

When I worked as a volunteer in the Pilgrim Office in SdC in 2019 I was assigned to guide and give instructions to the pilgrims, because of my language skills. This was before the QR system, so they all had to line up manually and wait for their turn. I gave instructions every 30 mins. on keeping passports and credentials ready when entering the office, in order to speed up the process. I was giving this info in English, Spanish, and German.

One day, after my info was delivered to the crowd, a guy shouted at me: "But do you speak Norwegian??!!!!"

I asked him, in English, Spanish and German, if that was what he really wanted, and he nodded intensely.

So I lifted my head towards the sky, streched out my arms, and after some 5 seconds, I said out loud: "Gracias!"

I then gave him the whole lecture in fluent Norwagian (I am a native Norwegian).

The lineup of pilgrims (1oos) was laughing so loud, the people in the ofice stopped working, and rushed out into the courtard to see what on earth was happening.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yet, it seems it has, escaped your notice.

But to state that you 'detest the idea of live-in hosptaleros' is a singularly negative statement. It isn't likely to illicit many positive or supportive comments in fairness.
Fair point - my language was probably too strong. Thank you for pointing it out!

Certainly, no pilgrim should be bullied into coming to a communal dinner or to "share" personal info. But that could be done or not done by any hospitalero. Whether they are "live-in" doesn't determine whether or not they are bullies.

Fair point - my language was probably too strong. Thank you for pointing it out!
I would like to acknowledge your freedom of spirit. My own experience of being an hospitalera was such that the only other place to sleep might have been the church porch...😇
This is yet one more example of how a 'flat' exchange can lead to unfinished ideas and thoughts. Real, actual, circular meeting offers so much more than this format can give. Again, many thanks for your open shift in position.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back