• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hunt For The Elusive Perfect Sleeping Bag

Sam - AU

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances - Apr/May 2018, Feb/Mar 2019 .... upcoming Nov/Dec 2019
I completed my first camino in April this year using a cheap $17 700g Aldi mummy sleeping bag.
It did the job for 6 weeks ... however most nights I found myself, despite being an average build female, feeling too 'fat' for my sleeping bag and worried given the cheapness of the material that I would tear open the side in my sleep, not to mention being cold on some nights.

Now that I am contemplating a second camino in winter, it is one of the few gear items I am keen to replace.

I have (for months) been scouring the internet with no luck for the perfect sleeping bag that ticks all the boxes:
- affordable price (something less than $150AUD)
- ultra light, between 700g and 1kg in weight (approx 2 pounds)
- small and compact
- preferably on the warmer end for winter temps
- preferably synthetic, for ease of washing

Interested to know what brands, kind, price point and weight of bags others have used that worked for them on their camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A down quilt from Costco, combined with a silk sleeping bag liner. The down quilt cost me less than $20 Australian, and weighs less than 500grams.
And you can cut the down quilt in half and save 250 grams. The half size, tucked inside the silk liner keeps you quite warm.

Dec/Jan/Feb will certainly be much colder than April, especially if you are staying in Municipal Albergues which can shut the heat off during the night. I have a down quilt (Therm-o-Rest Vela HD) that is rated for 2 degrees Celsius that worked very well for me. On really cold night some clothing will supplement nicely too. I believe it weighs in around 2lbs (1kg'ish). In the winter I think you need to accept your pack weight will be higher overall.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Down packs smaller and lighter. But, you have to keep it dry and some folks are allergic. Once down gets wet, getting it dry is very problematic. Down does not insulate when wet.

Synthetic bags, are machine washable, and air-dryable in a clothes dryer on low or no heat. But, synthetic filled bags are heavier in general, and do not compress as small, nor are they as light (in grams).

After several trials and errors I found a full separating zip quilt from Sea to Summit that works for me. The zipper arrangement means the quilt can be closed to work like a sleeping bag.

See the web site: https://seatosummitusa.com/collections/sleeping-bags/products/traveller-down-sleeping-bag

NOTE: This is similar to the one I have. The difference is that mine is two years old and is more rectangular. The one listed above should work as well. Recommend sizing UP one size so you are not like a sausage when in the bag. You should have enough 'slack' to roll over, without twisting the bag.

Alternatively, when fully opened, the quilt is large enough to cover a bed at home. We actually rely on that latter feature here in South Florida in January and February, as we have no heating systems in our homes...

Regardless of the brand, consider a sleeping quilt instead of a dedicated sleeping bag. They have more and varied uses, on and off the Camino.

I also use, interchangeably, a full separating, rectangular microfiber liner from Alps Mountaineering. See the web site:

http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/products/bags/sleeping-bag-liners/rectangle-liner

CHEAP, less than USD 35! Very inexpensive, machine washable and compresses folded into a 3-liter ziplock, this is my "go to" sleeping cover for most all Caminos. Only if I am certain I will be sleeping in albergues do I take the sleeping quilt. Otherwise, I always pack the A/M liner in the bottom of my rucksack, just-in-case, I get caught needing an extra blanket, or a "field-expedient" sleeping bag.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I cut the zipper out of a nice down bag and have used it happily for many years on the camino. I left the foot box in, but otherwise use it as a quilt. I"ve heard the Costco down quilts are good and also if you're in the USA, you can get a nice lightweight down blanket at REI

I completed my first camino in April this year using a cheap $17 700g Aldi mummy sleeping bag.
It did the job for 6 weeks ... however most nights I found myself, despite being an average build female, feeling too 'fat' for my sleeping bag and worried given the cheapness of the material that I would tear open the side in my sleep, not to mention being cold on some nights.

Now that I am contemplating a second camino in winter, it is one of the few gear items I am keen to replace.

I have (for months) been scouring the internet with no luck for the perfect sleeping bag that ticks all the boxes:
- affordable price (something less than $150AUD)
- ultra light, between 700g and 1kg in weight (approx 2 pounds)
- small and compact
- preferably on the warmer end for winter temps
- preferably synthetic, for ease of washing

Interested to know what brands, kind, price point and weight of bags others have used that worked for them on their camino.
My perfect sleeping bag is the long version of the North Face Lynx. I paid $149 US in 2015. My long bag weighs 935 grams with the compression sack. It is rated down to freezing. It has a synthetic fill. Unfortunately they don’t make that model anymore. I haven’t checked to see if North Face offers an updated version. One of the main reasons I went with this bag is that it is more generous in the shoulders. I’m a big guy, so having a bit more width really helps in getting a comfortable sleep and not feeling as if you’re getting tangled up in the bag.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Down packs smaller and lighter. But, you have to keep it dry and some folks are allergic. Once down gets wet, getting it dry is very problematic. Down does not insulate when wet.

Synthetic bags, are machine washable, and air-dryable in a clothes dryer on low or no heart.
A down quilt can be dried exactly the sane way. https://www.bhg.com/homekeeping/laundry-linens/linens/wash-and-dry-down-filled-items/
In fact I have put my down quilt in a dryer on high heat more than once when I had bed bug scares.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I absolutely loved this Sea to Summit liner for my June Camino on the Le Puy route. I normally do not like polyester, but this has a tight knit, but still allows you to stretch your legs and move around easily in the bag and is very soft and comfortable. I was pleasantly surprised.

I don't know if I fully believe that silk liners detouring bedbugs because of their tight weave. People often get bitten on their necks anyway and the bugs can still easily crawl in from there...just saying.
Screenshot_2018-12-16-09-54-32.jpg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have a down bag for backpacking but rarely use it because it is nasty when it gets wet. Usually my mummy bags are left unzipped and used as a blanket but I zip them up on the colder nights. Maybe go with a lighter bag but two liners, inside and out. You won't need to clean the bag as often then.

I used the same. Next time I may sew it into a bag shape.
It is funny - some people cut the zipper out of a bag to make a blanket, and others (like me) add a zipper to make a bag out of a blanket.

I am very happy with my Costco down quilt with a zipper added. (I prefer to be enclosed.) If it is not warm enough I wear a down vest and extra merino layers to bed. For a cold weather camino, I would probably put the bag inside a silk liner, for additional insulation. I have put it through a hot dryer as bedbug treatment, with no apparent bad effects.

Agreed with previous posters, the Costco (or Black Diamond) down quilt is great. Try ebay. Do sew in a footbox, as they tend to slide around a bit, but your upper body will not be restricted. Or use it in a silk liner. And of course extra clothing in bed (e.g Merino baselayer)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I found the perfect compromise of weight and comfort when I hiked the Appalachian Trail in the US. Ferrino is an Italian company. I got one of their ultralight bags. It is rated to 50 degrees F (10 C), weighs well under a kg, and has a fairly roomy cut. It is not great if it is really cold. But, I used it from late May through August on the AT, even at altitude. And, I used it on the Camino. If it is quite chilly in an albergue, you can always wear soem clothes.

Good idea no matter what the temperature is. ;)
Excellent point. I was a bit taken back when sleeping in a bunk next to some pilgrims on the 5th floor of the municipal albergue in Burgos who were not when then got up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ah, the perfect bag - tricky! I can't stand mummy bags as I seem to twist them round me and wake up like a contorted caterpillar - also, I radiate heat and unless it is bitterly cold I need my feet out .... my bag is made by Snugpak, a UK company who supply our military and sell the same products retail - though sometimes in colours other than khaki!.

I use their Snugpak Jungle Bag, have done for years now and it is perfect for me - comfort is 7c and low is 2c (one can tell by the name that one should add a liner in cold regions). Left or right hand zips, weighs just 900 gms, packs down to the size of a coconut, rectangular bag that opens fully into a quilt and with two zips one can have the foot section open (hurrah!) and has a built in mosquito net for the face that tucks away - the best protection against bedbugs!

A Great bag, very well made - and stunningly cheap - about £44. - https://www.snugpak.com/outdoor/jungle-bag and also available on Amazon.com

jungle_bag_packsize_all_1.jpg

Snugpak products are also available in the US at: http://www.snugpakusa.com/

I had a Jungle Bag for my first two Caminos. It is everything David says it is, and is a very good sleeping bag solution for the Camino.

But for me, it was too warm and the zips kept getting caught in the very lightweight nylon shell material. This snagged the zips and eventually ran the sliders off the teeth...grrrr!

Perhaps others are more delicate with their bags. But, when I have to GO, I HAVE TO GO!

Eventually, I tested other bags, and their zip setups. Currently, when I feel the need to use a sleeping bag, I bring the Sea to Summit down quilt I mentioned above. But, I ALWAYS pack my microfiber liner, also listed above, regardless.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
@t2andreo - Oh! I had forgotten that I had the same problem with my first Snugpak!!! - and also with the silly tying method of rolling the mosquito net away - but the one I now have is their improved version, with much better zips and baffles and a better way of putting the mosquito net away.

I would think cheap ones on Ebay would be the old stock so if anyone interested I think it would be better to make sure one buys the new version.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ah, the perfect bag - tricky! I can't stand mummy bags as I seem to twist them round me and wake up like a contorted caterpillar - also, I radiate heat and unless it is bitterly cold I need my feet out .... my bag is made by Snugpak, a UK company who supply our military and sell the same products retail - though sometimes in colours other than khaki!.

I use their Snugpak Jungle Bag, have done for years now and it is perfect for me - comfort is 7c and low is 2c (one can tell by the name that one should add a liner in cold regions). Left or right hand zips, weighs just 900 gms, packs down to the size of a coconut, rectangular bag that opens fully into a quilt and with two zips one can have the foot section open (hurrah!) and has a built in mosquito net for the face that tucks away - the best protection against bedbugs!

A Great bag, very well made - and stunningly cheap - about £44. - https://www.snugpak.com/outdoor/jungle-bag and also available on Amazon.com

View attachment 49992
My twin brother from another mother😁😉

I may reconsider the "new" version of the Snugpak Jungle Bag in future. If you see it listed as the "Traveller," it is the identical bag, albeit in civilian colors. Mine was claret colored. It was available in a blue also...

The standard version that David mentions and I second, it is the MOD compliant version in muted colors: black, olive, and desert tan.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I used a Mountain Hardwear Ratio 45 down bag (26oz weight) last year and was very happy. Will be carrying it again next year as well.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I've heard a lot of good things about the Rumpl puffy blanket, which I think is similar to the Costco down quilt mentioned above. I took a sleeping sac that was like a sheet on one side and thicker on the other side. I hated it. Lol. But my partner loved it. I have since purchased the Costco one and will bring that on my next camino. Here's a link to the Rumpl puffy blanket;

https://www.rumpl.com/collections/puffy-blankets

Buen Camino!

Dec/Jan/Feb will certainly be much colder than April, especially if you are staying in Municipal Albergues which can shut the heat off during the night. I have a down quilt (Therm-o-Rest Vela HD) that is rated for 2 degrees Celsius that worked very well for me. On really cold night some clothing will supplement nicely too. I believe it weighs in around 2lbs (1kg'ish). In the winter I think you need to accept your pack weight will be higher overall.

I think you may be right regarding giving in to a higher than normal pack weight!

Synthetic bags, are machine washable, and air-dryable in a clothes dryer on low or no heart. But, synthetic filled bags are heavier in general, and do not compress as small, nor are they as light (in grams).

After several trials and errors I found a full separating zip quilt from Sea to Summit that works for me. The zipper arrangement means the quilt can be closed to work like a sleeping bag.

See the web site: https://seatosummitusa.com/collections/sleeping-bags/products/traveller-down-sleeping-bag

NOTE: This is similar to the one I have. The difference is that mine is two years old and is more rectangular. The one listed above should work as well. Recommend sizing UP one size so you are not like a sausage when in the bag. You should have enough 'slack' to roll over, without twisting the bag.

Alternatively, when fully opened, the quilt is large enough to cover a bed at home. We actually rely on that latter feature here in South Florida in January and February as we have no heating systems in out homes...

Regardless of the brand, consider a sleeping quilt instead of a dedicated sleeping bag. They have more and varied uses, on and off the Camino.

I also use, interchangeably, a full separating, rectangular microfiber liner from Alps Mountaineering. See the web site:

http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/products/bags/sleeping-bag-liners/rectangle-liner

CHEAP, less than USD 35! Very inexpensive, machine washable and compresses folded into a 3-liter ziplock, this is my "go to" sleeping cover for most all Caminos. Only if I am certain I will be sleeping in albergues do I take the sleeping quilt. Otherwise, I always pack the A/M liner in the bottom of my rucksack, just-in-case, I get caught needing an extra blanket, or a "field-expedient" sleeping bag.

Hope this helps.

Thanks T2andreo! Very intrigued by the Sea To Summit zip quilt, I haven’t see anything like that in my hunt. Will definitely be looking into that one further.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have a down bag for backpacking but rarely use it because it is nasty when it gets wet. Usually my mummy bags are left unzipped and used as a blanket but I zip them up on the colder nights. Maybe go with a lighter bag but two liners, inside and out. You won't need to clean the bag as often then.
Two liners! Great idea, hadn’t thought of that one! Thanks Rick!

I found the perfect compromise of weight and comfort when I hiked the Appalachian Trail in the US. Ferrino is an Italian company. I got one of their ultralight bags. It is rated to 50 degrees F (10 C), weighs well under a kg, and has a fairly roomy cut. It is not great if it is really cold. But, I used it from late May through August on the AT, even at altitude. And, I used it on the Camino. If it is quite chilly in an albergue, you can always wear soem clothes.
A brand I haven’t heard of, will definitely check them out. Thanks for the suggestion!

View attachment 49992
Wow David! This bag sounds like it may definitely be what I am after and ticks a lot of boxes. Also love the contorted caterpillar reference, that is the perfect description for the effects of a mummy bag! Thanks for the reply!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you everyone for the replies, much appreciated. Now off to look at the new bag recommendations and also down quilts.

Try this also on amazon https://www.snugpak.com/outdoor/travelpak-traveller supplement with a liner if needed.
Update: Comfort at 7C Low of 2C weight 900g. I used this on my camino. I layed the liner on the matrass unzipped the bag used it as a blanket...I hate being locked into the sleeping bag.

I agree with Iriebabel..I used this sleeping bag on my two walks and with a silk liner and it worked fine. Be sure to tuck it into a waterproof bag or sealed plastic sack as water often seeps into the bottom of the pack during heavy rains. A soggy sack at the end of the day is not fun.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
On the Camino in April/May I used a sleeping bag from an absolutely fantastic company in Poland called Cumulus. Before I went, I spent months and months scouring through the internet & reading about every damn lightweight sleeping bag ever invented; exhausting & tedious but it absolutely paid off. In my perfect world I wanted the lightest sleeping bag on the market, but also one that felt lux & snuggly at the end of the day.

I looked at the Sea 2 Summit Trek which I know a lot of people rave about but I was convinced that there had to be something lighter. I also own a Costco down blanket that I use weekly at work (I'm a longhaul Flight Attendant) which has come up in discussions a fair bit & while it's warm, it still weighs over 400g which for a blanket seems heavish.

Eventually I found Cumulus & ordered a Lite Line 200 - rated to 4 degrees & only 495g, I ordered it & when it arrived it was love at first sleep. I took it with me & while it was an incredible sleeping bag, I found that most nights I was just too hot. On average I'm generally someone who sleeps quite cold, so I was surprised that on the Camino I was never cold at night time.

On arriving home in June, I found that Cumulus had came out with a new line of bag while I was away. It's called the Magic 125 & rated to 13 degrees (perfect for albergue sleeping) & it only weighs 270g!

http://sleepingbags-cumulus.eu/uk/categories/sleeping-bags/magic-125-zip?gid=62&vid=6

I'm currently planning my next Camino for 2020 (the Frances again & the Portuguese) & can't wait to order one. If you want the lightest bag on the market while not skimping on warmth & comfort then I honestly cannot recommend their bags enough.

http://sleepingbags-cumulus.eu/uk/categories/sleeping-bags

Agreed with previous posters, the Costco (or Black Diamond) down quilt is great. Try ebay. Do sew in a footbox, as they tend to slide around a bit, but your upper body will not be restricted. Or use it in a silk liner. And of course extra clothing in bed (e.g Merino baselayer)
I did use a Costco quilt. I added snaps down one side (longways) and one short side. This allowed a lot of versatility and I used my silk liner as well. We finished on October 24 and I was never cold. 1 pound.

On the Camino in April/May I used a sleeping bag from an absolutely fantastic company in Poland called Cumulus. Before I went, I spent months and months scouring through the internet & reading about every damn lightweight sleeping bag ever invented; exhausting & tedious but it absolutely paid off. In my perfect world I wanted the lightest sleeping bag on the market, but also one that felt lux & snuggly at the end of the day.

I looked at the Sea 2 Summit Trek which I know a lot of people rave about but I was convinced that there had to be something lighter. I also own a Costco down blanket that I use weekly at work (I'm a longhaul Flight Attendant) which has come up in discussions a fair bit & while it's warm, it still weighs over 400g which for a blanket seems heavish.

Eventually I found Cumulus & ordered a Lite Line 200 - rated to 4 degrees & only 495g, I ordered it & when it arrived it was love at first sleep. I took it with me & while it was an incredible sleeping bag, I found that most nights I was just too hot. On average I'm generally someone who sleeps quite cold, so I was surprised that on the Camino I was never cold at night time.

On arriving home in June, I found that Cumulus had came out with a new line of bag while I was away. It's called the Magic 125 & rated to 13 degrees (perfect for albergue sleeping) & it only weighs 270g!

http://sleepingbags-cumulus.eu/uk/categories/sleeping-bags/magic-125-zip?gid=62&vid=6

I'm currently planning my next Camino for 2020 (the Frances again & the Portuguese) & can't wait to order one. If you want the lightest bag on the market while not skimping on warmth & comfort then I honestly cannot recommend their bags enough.

http://sleepingbags-cumulus.eu/uk/categories/sleeping-bags

Elisha, we seem to be on the same wavelength and this (based on your descriptions) appears to be a magical bag.
Definitely checking this one out.

€60,-
Elisha, we seem to be on the same wavelength and this (based on your descriptions) appears to be a magical bag.
Definitely checking this one out.
I too have and love the Cumulus Magic Zip bag ,,,and IMO with clothes on would be good Way below 10 c. The specs say ok to below 0 c ( in times of real need) and having used this bag would agree !! But then with Zip undone is perfect in summer too,,,,,and is so lite it almost floats !!!! 270 gms

Last edited:
Hi,
Can I have a link, please?
Vik
This is what we are talking about. Sometimes it is branded Eddy Bauer, sometimes Black Diamond. Often it is hard to find. I haven't noticed any reports of people finding it this year in the Costco stores. (In previous years it has been found in the US, Canada, and Australia, that I know of, and I think it was on costco.com (but not costco.ca). Be careful with other online orders, and be aware that "down alternative" means it is not down.

Sorry I can't help more, but I am also looking to buy another spare one if I can.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.