• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I have Pneumonia ...

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Time of past OR future Camino
yes...
So I know that this is totally nothing to do with the Camino but I am fed up and feeling a bit sorry for myself :(

I was admitted to hospital on Friday and home today... it's high summer in SW France... who would expect pneumonia? No walking or singing for a week :(

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Sending healing prayers and thoughts your way! Remember, we are lucky to live in this time and age, in the 'golden age of pilgrimage' aka the medieval age, pneumonia would have equalled more often than not a death sequence! Count your blessings and Buen Camino, SY

Sending healing prayers and thoughts your way! Remember, we are lucky to live in this time and age, in the 'golden age of pilgrimage' aka the medieval age, pneumonia would have equalled more often than not a death sequence! Count your blessings and Buen Camino, SY

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers... I was reading earlier about the risks faced in the pre-antibiotics age. Blessings are indeed counted :)

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
So I know that this is totally nothing to do with the Camino but I am fed up and feeling a bit sorry for myself :(

I was admitted to hospital on Friday and home today... it's high summer in SW France... who would expect pneumonia? No walking or singing for a week :(

Don't you just hate when things going astray in life! These are the times when we really learn to count our blessings:

1. You get to live in SW France - is there any more beautiful place on earth?
  2. You live with the French people who are truly wonderful - I am particularly partial to their accent that is so much more beautiful than Parisian French.
  3. You have a whole Camino forum that sends you their well wishes, good thoughts, and humble prayers.
  4. You have walked the Camino
  5. You live in Perigieux - St Front Cathedral is always present to admire.
  6. The marche is one of the best in the Perigord - I always enjoyed it immensely
Wishing you a quick recovery to health and that a sweet Spirit of peace abide in your home.

You are a lucky person,

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Your pneumonia has everything to do with your next walk, @LesBrass--no lungs, no walk. So offering you heartfelt well-wishing! May you heal well and quickly so that you can be out there walking again soon.
The silver lining, is that it's summer so at least you can do the lounging the docs have ordered outside in the sunshine.

Last edited:
Best wishes from here to you! In 2014, I had to stop in Astorga in May, due to pneumonia after an icy walk over the Meseta:I was coughing so hard, I thought my lungs would come out, so I completely understand your situation ... Snow on Cruz de Ferro; not possible for me to continue... But revenge was made: I continued this May; stopped in Moratinos at Rebekah's place due to family issues. Wil return to Burgos in three weeks, and this time, NOTHING shall stop me from reaching SdC! Again: Best healing wishes to you!

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Hot tea! Movies! Rest! You will get through this.

Wishing you a good ' time out ' until you are back in form. Rest and relax while you keep on dreaming your dream.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Heed what your doctor tells you, take it easy, and (this may be hard to do just now) count your blessings.
Get well soon.

Adding my thoughts and best wishes for a full and speedy recovery. These Healing Caminos are hard work for those of us who ought to be out walking.

Hope that you're breathing easier soon and back out out on the trail. Remember to take it slow and steady easing yourself back at first, just like on the Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
So sorry to hear that @LesBrass, wishing you a speedy recovery. Take it easy and don't rush things. Your Camino will be even more special after this unexpected obstacle.

PS - the EE quilt is a great comfort blanket for when you're feeling low! Mine arrived a few weeks ago (I bought it on your recommendation).

Very best wishes for a full and speedy recovery. Warm thoughts from Andalucia.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Just take it gently when you do start to walk again. You will get there.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Oh Les -
I'm so sorry to hear that you have pneumonia. Please, please look after yourself and get your immune system really strong again. I had pneumonia back in April, thought I was OK but my immune system was compromised. So much so that I picked up some sort of a cold/lurgy thing on the plane coming over here to Spain from Australia late last month which turned into acute bronchitis. Stupidly and selfishly I ignored the advice of the doctor at the hospital and the hospitaleros at the albergue where I had been volunteering - the upshot of this is that one of the hospitaleros and a dear friend have both now come down with the same symptoms. Who knows HOW MANY people I may have infected? The full weight of my actions, in wanting to be with and serve the pilgrims and stupidly and selfishly thinking that everything would be OK, rests like a ton of bricks on my shoulders. There's absolutely nothing I can do to remedy the situation. I had to cut the volunteership short and I'm currently in Madrid and will fly home to Australia tomorrow.
If there's any advice to be given here, it's that each person contemplating a Camino needs to look after their immune system as much as they possibly can in the time leading up to departure by avoiding exposure to anyone who might be ill as much as you knowingly can. Travel on the plane wearing a preventative mask - wearing one would have saved me, and those who I've made ill, a lot of discomfort and worse with the symptoms, and much heartache and guilt on my part.
Rest up and best wishes for a speedy recovery Les -
Jenny

Oh Les -
I'm so sorry to hear that you have pneumonia. Please, please look after yourself and get your immune system really strong again. I had pneumonia back in April, thought I was OK but my immune system was compromised. So much so that I picked up some sort of a cold/lurgy thing on the plane coming over here to Spain from Australia late last month which turned into acute bronchitis. Stupidly and selfishly I ignored the advice of the doctor at the hospital and the hospitaleros at the albergue where I had been volunteering - the upshot of this is that one of the hospitaleros and a dear friend have both now come down with the same symptoms. Who knows HOW MANY people I may have infected? The full weight of my actions, in wanting to be with and serve the pilgrims and stupidly and selfishly thinking that everything would be OK, rests like a ton of bricks on my shoulders. There's absolutely nothing I can do to remedy the situation. I had to cut the volunteership short and I'm currently in Madrid and will fly home to Australia tomorrow.
If there's any advice to be given here, it's that each person contemplating a Camino needs to look after their immune system as much as they possibly can in the time leading up to departure by avoiding exposure to anyone who might be ill as much as you knowingly can. Travel on the plane wearing a preventative mask - wearing one would have saved me, and those who I've made ill, a lot of discomfort and worse with the symptoms, and much heartache and guilt on my part.
Jenny

@JennyH94
Please quit kicking yourself: you did not pass on your infection deliberately and it is always challenging to know when self care should take priority over service.
I am not sure how to care for my immune system. I caught a cold on my camino last fall. It lasted two weeks, then was gone. But I got a really bad cold on my way home, which turned into bronchitis and lasted for three months. I know that many of us who are generally a bit chubby rejoice in significant weight loss on camino, but I am not sure if this is good for the immune system. My usual treatment would be extra rest and self-pampering, but this does not seem practical when on camino. Walking a camino is a drastic lifestyle change and I am sure that no one wants to get sick, but the structure of camino life, sharing a bedroom with up to 100 other people, etc. is what it is. What do you suggest for self and immune-system care on camino? I have used a mask to avoid thick dust while travelling, but a special sort of mask must be needed to avoid viruses. I leave on camino again in a month and would prefer to stay healthy. Suggestions?

Les, please let us know how things are progressing. I suspect you have many people who have mentioned you in thoughts and prayers.

All the best,

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
But look on the bright side - you now have time to plan your next Camino!...
Jeff took the words out of my mouth, @LesBrass. Rest and take care of your health, and use the time to plan your next Camino.
Suzanne :)

Lovely folks thank you for the kind word and wishes. I am feeling better, progressing well and the pain (which was awful) is easing a lot. My youngest was 18 yesterday and we had a houseful of visitors... I feel exhausted today but I'm happy that I was here to enjoy the festivities.

I have 43 days before the VdlP so hopefully I will be fighting fit by then... in the meantime I'm resting and following orders :rolleyes:

p.s. @MichaelB10398 I do indeed count my blessings. I take my son to Lycee most days and get to view St Front with the river in front of it... fabulous any time of year (I reckon though that St Astier market is best :D... only 15 minutes from Perigueux and equally lovely)

Thank you kind folks... you're great medicine indeed!

@JennyH94
I leave on camino again in a month and would prefer to stay healthy. Suggestions?

I am prone to chest infections and as part of camino preparations I avoid being a close environment with other folk. No coffee mornings at the Town Hall etc. The old saying "coughs and sneezes spread diseases" is basic.:( And although it does mean refusing (gently) some invites to meetings and gatherings, it does mean that I do not pick up nasties just before leaving home. Fortunately we can travel to Spain by ferry, with our own cabin, instead of being packed into a tube with recirculated air etc.
The other thing that I have found helpful is a small hand held "vaporiser". It holds a cupful of very hot water, sprinkle on a few drops of eucalyptus oil and inhale through the built-in mouth / nose attachment. It keeps my chest clear and prevents the build up of mucus which in its turn breeds bugs.

Take care of yourselves :)
Blessings
Tio Tel

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@JennyH94
Please quit kicking yourself: you did not pass on your infection deliberately and it is always challenging to know when self care should take priority over service.
I am not sure how to care for my immune system. I caught a cold on my camino last fall. It lasted two weeks, then was gone. But I got a really bad cold on my way home, which turned into bronchitis and lasted for three months. I know that many of us who are generally a bit chubby rejoice in significant weight loss on camino, but I am not sure if this is good for the immune system. My usual treatment would be extra rest and self-pampering, but this does not seem practical when on camino. Walking a camino is a drastic lifestyle change and I am sure that no one wants to get sick, but the structure of camino life, sharing a bedroom with up to 100 other people, etc. is what it is. What do you suggest for self and immune-system care on camino? I have used a mask to avoid thick dust while travelling, but a special sort of mask must be needed to avoid viruses. I leave on camino again in a month and would prefer to stay healthy. Suggestions?
Hi Albertagirl - thanks so much for your kind thoughts. I'm currently transiting in Heathrow - my husband Steve has made an appointment for me for Thursday at our GP so I'll raise the questions in your post with her and will let you know via another post on this thread. Enjoy your training - the time will whizz by and you'll be back on those sacred and magical paths before you know it.

I am prone to chest infections and as part of camino preparations I avoid being a close environment with other folk. No coffee mornings at the Town Hall etc. The old saying "coughs and sneezes spread diseases" is basic.:( And although it does mean refusing (gently) some invites to meetings and gatherings, it does mean that I do not pick up nasties just before leaving home. Fortunately we can travel to Spain by ferry, with our own cabin, instead of being packed into a tube with recirculated air etc.
The other thing that I have found helpful is a small hand held "vaporiser". It holds a cupful of very hot water, sprinkle on a few drops of eucalyptus oil and inhale through the built-in mouth / nose attachment. It keeps my chest clear and prevents the build up of mucus which in its turn breeds bugs.

Take care of yourselves :)
Blessings
Tio Tel
Hi Terry - that's great advice about the vaporiser and your pre-Camino preparations. They would make all the difference in staying well. Best wishes to you and Valerie.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Terry - that's great advice about the vaporiser and your pre-Camino preparations. They would make all the difference in staying well. Best wishes to you and Valerie.

This is the little gadget I use. Weighs next to nothing and I never travel without it. The other tip for clearing your lungs is to breath out completely. Breath out normal, then expel the remains of the air by whistling slightly. Surprising how much extra air you can get rid of. I was told that in normal breathing you never empty your lungs completely. The stagnant air at the bottom of the lung breeds germs.

DSCF5090.JPG DSCF5091.JPG

Take care of yourself :)
Terry

I hope you are better soon. I had walking pneumonia in Rome once, and on the Camino once. It was horrible.
Best wishes for a quick recovery!

@TerryB 's vapouriser is made by Betterware. Not sure if it is available outside of the UK, but they are on-line. The complete kit we have made up now includes a lightweight titanium mug that the vapouriser pot fits into, a small cork mat to avoid burning the table surface and an electric coil. The eucalyptus bottles travel in the vapouriser with a hanky to stop them rattling. Total weight approx 300gms and worth every gram to keep him healthy and happy.

Take care of yourselves as you recover :) and afterwards.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The Betterware inhaler. Not sure if they post overseas....
Thanks a million @Tia Valeria, I'll be back in the UK at the end of this month visiting my family in Kent, so I can order one (in fact I'll probably order two as they are soooooooo useful). My mother has had a nifty inhaler (similar but without the nozzle part) for donkey's years and I've always meant to purchase one.
Suzanne :)

P.S. As others have mentioned before, this forum is full of information on so many different subjects :D

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A small tip:-
Terry decants his eucalyptus oil into a small (plastic) bottle with a dripper top, ease of use and light. (Old eye drops 10ml bottle). Our eucalyptus oil bottles don't have a dripper top, Olbas oil does. He uses 8 parts eucalyptus to 1 part Olbas oil as his favourite mix.
Recommended method is take 3 breaths of the mix then 3 or 4 normal breaths so as not to 'overdose' on the mix. You need some oxygen! and if you cough then you are clearing the muck out of your lungs.

Hi Albertagirl -

I arrived home in Sydney yesterday and went straight to the doctor. I asked her what I could have done to avoid becoming ill and she advised me there wasn't much I could have done - that it was just very bad luck that I picked up the virus on the plane from Australia. Winter brings lots of illness sadly. She did agree that wearing a preventative mask on the plane is a very good idea so I'll adopt this practice from now on. (BTW - I did wear a mask on the plane home so the passengers around me wouldn't pick up the virus from me).

I would consult your health care professional now to see what extra measures you can take to protect yourself.

What I intend to do from now on is the following:
  • In the weeks before travelling I'll take Vitamin C and an Immune Building formula and continue to take these preparations for the duration of my camino;
  • I'll get some antibiotics from the doctor - just in case I did become ill and I got a chest infection;
  • I'll make sure to wear the preventative mask on the plane and wear it at night in albergues if I hear anyone cough;
  • I'll follow Terry and Valerie's practice of using the vapouriser and also their practice of limiting social contact in the days prior to leaving.
I would hope that all the above would help as much as possible to stay well.

Buen Camino Albertagirl - Take joy in every step -

Best wishes - Jenny

Oh Les -
Jenny

The thing is, we pick up viruses (whether our immune system is strong or not) and we get ill, then we die or get better. It is never our fault that we are invaded by a virus .. though ... Jenny mentions picking up "some sort of cold/lurgy thing", perhaps to not worry pilgrims, when in fact it she was quite aware that it is a vicious and highly infectious debilitating virus that probably came from Sydney, not an aircraft.

To quote Dr. Gordian Fulde, who is the head of the Emergency Department at St. Vincent’s Hospital in Sydney;
"SYDNEYSIDERS are being hit by a virus that is not only taking down people but also hospital staff.
It is an unseasonal virus, not the swine flu, that is really nasty and the emergency department has been flooded by people coming in sick with it.
It has caused some people, even young ones, to get pneumonia.
This is not the right time of the year but it is amazing how it is spreading. It seems to be attacking the head so people feel like they are getting the flu.
They will have a nasty cough and we are seeing a lot of sore throats and infections that are so severe we have to admit people.
Some patients have had throats so swollen they can't swallow or breath properly and even their neck is swollen."

Worth knowing that this virus does not produce a high temperature.

With a virus, especially a virulent one, one has to be careful not to allow it the chance to infect others.
Do not sleep in the same room as another.
Do not enter enclosed spaces with others.
Do not breathe or cough over others.
Do not touch food, crockery, or cutlery that others will use.
Wash hands regularly and be Very careful about what one handles - door knobs and toilet flush buttons come to mind, as a virus can live in air on a surface for four hours or more - washing hands regularly and wet wiping as one goes can help.

So, really, one needs to isolate oneself ... listen to what the doctor says, listen to what the pharmacist says, listen to what hospitelaros say, listen to what friends say.
It is hard to let go when one is on Camino but if one does get a virus one needs to put others ahead of oneself and isolate oneself straight away - which, of course, means the Camino is over for that person (it is alright to infect non-pilgrims on the way home :):D:)).

I stopped doing first aid in the Rabanal area when I realised that I had contracted the virus - imagine me opening a blister, breathing on it, and then covering it with a plaster!!! - and then decided that I had to go home straight away .... as I was driving I had to gamble on getting home before it fully kicked in or be stuck, homeless, in Spain. A Canadian hospitelaro who had also contracted it decided to come with me rather than infecting all who passed through Gaucelmo, and we are now, after four ghastly days of driving whilst with fuzzy brains and and sneezing and coughing and heaving and aching (and spreading the plague over the 2000kms too!), in my home in Weston-Super-Mare, getting better.

A hospital refugio in a sense - so anyone who gets the virus or has the virus and thinks they may also have pneumonia please do come to the plague house - plenty of room !! (it is the house with the painted red cross on the door :))

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
... I stopped doing first aid in the Rabanal area when I realised that I had contracted the virus - imagine me opening a blister, breathing on it, and then covering it with a plaster!!! - ....

A hospital refugio in a sense - so anyone who gets the virus or has the virus and thinks they may also have pneumonia please do come to the plague house - plenty of room !! (it is the house with the painted red cross on the door :))

Shudders ... no, no, no!!! Thanks for interrupting your good work for the greater good of all pilgrims!

Have you been checked for Zika? You could then call it 'El Hospital de Peregrinos y Voluntarios con Zika' :cool:

Speedy recovery and Buen Camino de la Vida, SY

Most read last week in this forum

When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back