• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

IMPORTANT: Advice for pilgrims setting off APRIL 2013

Re: IMPORTANT: Advice for pilgrims setting off in March 2013

I have answer about weather from Refuge Orisson:

"We have very good weather but there is snow at the top yet. So it will be better to go to Valcarlos."

I'm starting on 20.03 or 21.03 and I really dream about blue sky :)
but I know that weather can change day by day.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

We've made up our minds -- starting from SJPP on March 13 as planned. If you see us, then please say hi! We'll be the tall woman with two girls and a guy with artificial legs (the girls' father is starting with us). We may seem like an unlikely crew but we're pretty hard-core. 8)

March 13 will be 90% snow, snow level at 100 meters, and -3C at Roncesvalles. The crest of the Ibaneta pass will be colder and snowier. Even Pamplona will have snow.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

falcon269 said:
March 13 will be 90% snow, snow level at 100 meters, and -3C at Roncesvalles. The crest of the Ibaneta pass will be colder and snowier. Even Pamplona will have snow.

Excellent It'll feel like home. We've been training for months in negative Fahrenheit temps on our local mountains (1200 m plus). Last year, my 9 yr old became the youngest person to hike all 48 of our local 1300 m plus mountains during winter. My younger daughter hiked 10 of those mountains with us last year. Their father is a top climber and all four of us are used to remote mountaintops in subzero (F) temps.

That being said, when we get there, if we feel we have to change plans at any time, then we will. We know what we can and cannot handle. We're assuming the Valcarlos route.

trishalexsage.com

TrishAlexSage said:
We've made up our minds -- starting from SJPP on March 13 as planned. If you see us, then please say hi! We'll be the tall woman with two girls and a guy with artificial legs (the girls' father is starting with us). We may seem like an unlikely crew but we're pretty hard-core. 8)
never doubted it,looking forward to reading more of your journey
on international woman's day I wish you and your girls well
will be about 3 weeks behind you and while taking heed of all the information will also be starting from SJPdP.
Buen Camino
Ian

TrishAlexSage said:
We've been training for months in negative Fahrenheit temps on our local mountains (1200 m plus). Last year, my 9 yr old became the youngest person to hike all 48 of our local 1300 m plus mountains during winter. My younger daughter hiked 10 of those mountains with us last year. Their father is a top climber and all four of us are used to remote mountaintops in subzero (F) temps.
Wow :!: Santiago, here come some mountain-hardened pilgrims :!: Ultreya to you folks, and let's have some news once in a while on how you are/have been doing. :D

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Thank you so much for your weather report and conditions posting. You are giving those of us that will be leaving in the next week a great service. Its truly appreciated. Will be checking for your updates.

Rain will begin on Sunday (continuous rain Monday), turn to snow on Tuesday, and continue snow through Friday in Roncesvalles, which is 400 meters lower than the crest on the Napolean route. The crest will be below freezing during most of that time. By Wednesday the wind will be up to 35kph.

We are arriving Biarritz approx. 16:00 Saturday 16th. Have been looking at plan b and c to get to Pamplona rather than waste time going to St Jean to find the best we can do is a road walk all the way to Zubiri. We could get a bus from the airport to Pamplona getting us in about 20:15. What time does the Albergue shut its doors as we would need to get something to eat and how far is the bus station from the albergue in Calle Compania. Other option is to stop the night in Irun/Hendaye and continue the journey early next morning. I know there is at least one albergue in Irun but can we get a credential there

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Paderborn closes at 2200, Jesus y Maria closes at 2300, but this one is open until 0000.
Hostel Hemingway
Dirección: C/ Amaya, 26, piso primero
Localidad: Pamplona
Teléfono de contacto: 948 98 38 84
Email: info@hostelhemingway.com
Página web: http://www.hostelhemingway.com

At your arrival hour, a taxi from the bus station may be appropriate. The walk is 15 to 20 minutes to the various albergues. Check Google maps for walking directions.

The Irun albergues has credentials:
Hospital de peregrinos de Irun
Dirección: C/ Lucas de Berroa, 18. Pisos 1º derecha y 2º izquierda
Localidad: Irún
Teléfono de contacto: 943 62 41 85
Email: irunsantiago@yahoo.es
Página web: http://www.caminosnorte.org
Propiedad del albergue: Municipal
Institución o administración encargada de los costes de mantenimiento: Asociación de Amigos de los Caminos de Santiago de Guipúzcoa (Delegación de Irún)
Persona encargada de atender el albergue: Hospitaleros voluntarios que se turnan cada diez días
Observaciones: Entregan credenciales. Hay que salir del albergue antes de las 08:00 de la mañana

the Albergue in Irun is a good start and a credential-turn first right after the bridge walking from the station-but no worries you can get one in Pamplona too.
no time is wasted on the Camino,just chill and take it all in your stride-me I would make my mind up on the day I got there
the 4 horseman of the apocalypse will continue with the bad news(don't they just love it) and the forecasts of what may or not be, we are not children I can make my own mind up,
I walk the 4th April from SJPdP the sun will be shining then right-right :?:
Ian

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Thanks Falcon, that's all a big help. Sagalouts, when I say time wasted its more along the lines of my son who is travelling with me but he only has two weeks and we want to make the most of our time together before he has to go home. The weather from 17th doesn't look too bad but its what the weather from the last few weeks and the next few days has left behind that is the problem. Don't mind walking in snow in Ireland but what is up there is like nothing I have ever seen before. I will make my final decision on the 15th from the advice given in this thread then fly out next morning. If Pamplona it is, then no worries, the Pyrenees will still be there next year waiting for me, don't think they will be going anywhere in the near future :) lol

Brierley's guide has a fold out page on the back cover. It shows a route from Irun to join the camino Frances near Burgos.

Key word search (camino and vitoria) came up with this website for Camino Vasco. Camino Vasco goes from Irun to Santo Domingo de la Calzada. It looks to be a viable way to get around the SJPP - Pamplona snow problems. I've not been on it but that is the sort of alternative I would be looking for.

http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/eta ... ia-gasteiz

We will be spending March 13th in San Sebastian. On the 14th the plan is to head for St. Jean for a start on the 15th. I would like to check the weather on the 14th to decide if I should head for St. Jean or somewhere else...like Pamplona. What is the best way to check the weather from San Sebastian. Either a website or phone number would be great. Again we appreciate your help. Thanks.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Excellent information here if you have a smartphone or internet:

http://www.aemet.es/es/eltiempo/predicc ... es-id31211

Keep in mind that the weather in Roncesvalles will be better than at the crest of the Napolean Route. There are no intermediate weather reporting points between SJPdP and Roncesvalles (that I have found), but the Pilgrim Office probably has phone contacts for real time weather reports. Check with them.

Bon chemin.

Snow to 15cm predicted in the Pyrenees from Monday through Thursday.
Nivel de riesgo
Riesgo
Fenómeno
Nevadas
Nevadas
Acumulación de nieve : 15 cm
Ámbito Geográfico Pirineo navarro
Hora de comienzo martes, 12 marzo 2013 a las 00:00 hora oficial
Hora de finalización miércoles, 13 marzo 2013 a las 00:00 hora oficial

I posted something this morning and don't see it...so here goes again. We will be arriving in San Sebastian on the 13th. On the 14th we had expected to travel to St. Jean and to start the pilgrimmage on the 15th. Since the weather may be a problem we are considering an alternative...possibly heading to Pamplona and start there. We will check the weather condition from San Sebastian on the 14th and then decide. What is the quickest and easiest way to determine whether either or both routes from St. Jean are open from San Sebastian? Thanks much. I will check an earlier posting.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Rellrog said:
What is the quickest and easiest way to determine whether either or both routes from St. Jean are open from San Sebastian? Thanks much. I will check an earlier posting.

Perosnally I'd e mail or call the Pilgrims' Office in St Jean:

http://www.aucoeurduchemin.org/spip/-AC ... ml?lang=fr

Also check the excellent updates on this forum from Navarricano and Falcon.

Buen camino

John

So sorry for the duplicate. I accidentally left the forum on P.1 and didn't see the responses to my posting. Thanks for the websites and advice. I will make sure I have it on my Droin and IPAD.

Today for the Navarra Pyrenees:
Avisos Meteorológicos: Navarra

lunes 11 Nivel de aviso máximo: Riesgo
|
martes 12 Nivel de aviso máximo: Riesgo
|
miércoles 13 Nivel de aviso máximo: Riesgo
|
Elaborado: lunes, 11 marzo 2013
Validez: martes, 12 marzo 2013 a las 00:00
Riesgo: Nivel de riesgo
Riesgo
Fenómeno - Nevadas
Nevadas
Acumulación de nieve : 11 cm
Ámbito Geográfico Pirineo navarro
Hora de comienzo lunes, 11 marzo 2013 a las 12:00 hora oficial
Hora de finalización martes, 12 marzo 2013 a las 00:00 hora oficial
Four inches of snow is walkable, but trail markings will not be visible. More snow tomorrow through Friday with dropping temperatures and wind.

Thanks for all the weather updates but is there any info on condition of trails from St Jean to Zubiri or is road walking still recommended. The weather from 17th on seems ok but its what has been left behind by current weather that concerns me. If all the trails are impassable all the way then plan B becomes our preferred option and we will start from Pamplona

Re: Re: IMPORTANT: Advice for pilgrims setting off in March 2013

tpmchugh said:
Thanks for all the weather updates but is there any info on condition of trails from St Jean to Zubiri or is road walking still recommended. The weather from 17th on seems ok but its what has been left behind by current weather that concerns me. If all the trails are impassable all the way then plan B becomes our preferred option and we will start from Pamplona

What date are you planning to arrive? On the 17th itself?

tpmchugh said:

I've just been on the phone once again with the Guardia Civil in the valley, and their recommendation is still the asphalted highway. The Camino is not completely clear yet apparently, and more snow is on the way from Wednesday to Friday. Security vests/ponchos etc. are still encouraged for your safety. From Zubiri to Pamplona, the walker's trail is clear bu very muddy, so exercise caution on those trails.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Thanks Navarricano. We arrive Biarritz on Saturday 15:55. If no change by then plan b or c kick in. Plan B is 18:00 bus to Pamplona and start there on 17th. Plan C is a little more vague. Stop in Irun for the night and start out on the Camino Vasca to join the Frances at Santa Domingo. Not sure about this one as there are very few albergues along the way and as its a lesser known camino will they be open this early in the year. Will check back towards end of week but doubt there will be much change

Buen Camino

tpmchugh said:
Thanks Navarricano. We arrive Biarritz on Saturday 15:55. If no change by then plan b or c kick in. Plan B is 18:00 bus to Pamplona and start there on 17th. Plan C is a little more vague. Stop in Irun for the night and start out on the Camino Vasca to join the Frances at Santa Domingo. Not sure about this one as there are very few albergues along the way and as its a lesser known camino will they be open this early in the year. Will check back towards end of week but doubt there will be much change

Buen Camino

Please feel free to PM me if you'd like. I'd be happy to speak with you/meet up if possible once you're on the ground in Pamplona to help you assess the situation and make your final decision. And maybe have a glass of wine to toast the adventure!

Doesn't look good for St. Jean. When we check on the 14th and the conditions stay poor we will take the train from San Sebastian to Pamplona on the 15th or the 16th...and start from there. Maybe we can all get together for a drink. I'm still hoping for St. Jean. :(

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

First post here!

I fly into Pau in the afternoon of the 14th, and had hoped to make my way to sjpp. I will continue to read this thread often and will likely decide from Pau whether to make it to sjpp or Pamplona.

Many thanks to the frequent posters in this thread who are helping this solo pilgrim make descisions in the western US. Your comments and inputs have been appreciated more than you know by more than this "lurker" as well as others, I'm certain!

Buen Camino!

Hi everyone who is posting here, many thanks for the updates and advice, please keep it coming. We are scheduled to arive in San Sebastian on Sunday 17 March and were planning to train to STJP and start walking on 18 March, now it seems we will also have to devise plan B, bus from San Sebastian to Pamplona and start walkng from there. We are from Sunny South Afrca and are not equipped for snow walking ( don't know if anyone really is?) and certainly not accustomed to such cold weather!! Any advice for the bus from San Seastian to Pamplona? I saw soewher there s an 18:00, where can one find mre information please?

Buen Camino! (First time I said that, a nice feeling!!)

danier said:
Hi everyone who is posting here, many thanks for the updates and advice, please keep it coming. We are scheduled to arive in San Sebastian on Sunday 17 March and were planning to train to STJP and start walking on 18 March, now it seems we will also have to devise plan B, bus from San Sebastian to Pamplona and start walkng from there. We are from Sunny South Afrca and are not equipped for snow walking ( don't know if anyone really is?) and certainly not accustomed to such cold weather!! Any advice for the bus from San Seastian to Pamplona? I saw soewher there s an 18:00, where can one find mre information please?

Buen Camino! (First time I said that, a nice feeling!!)

Hi danier,

Here's a link to the bus schedule on the English language page of the bus company that operates the regular service between San Sebastian and Pamplona:

http://www.alsa.es/portal/site/Alsa...x.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken

In the column to the right it indicates what days each trip operates. LMXJVSD = MTWThFSaSu.

There's no 18.00 bus shown, but there is one that departs at 18.30 on Fridays and Sundays. That trip takes an hour. You want to be careful when purchasing the ticket, because there is another bus that departs daily at the same time, that takes two hours to reach Pamplona because it doesn't follow the motorway, but travels along smaller highways and stops in a number of little villages along the way. Make it clear that you want the ticket for the bus that goes by the motorway ("por autovía" in Spanish) and show your ticket to the bus driver so that you make sure you get on the right one.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Thanks much for the link. I will access it if I decide on Thursday to head for Pamplona. Hopefully the information that is available for the St. Jean stage is whether any of the two routes are passable. I am willing to do the Valcarlos if that is clear enough to make it through. Any help on that decision is appreciated.

Back to square one. Edsa web site gives me the perfect solution to get to Pamplona from Biarritz airport but when I went to book tickets it took me into ALSA website and they say the next run for that bus is 22nd March so any idea how to get to Pamplona on 16thMarch. I am really stumped

tpmchugh said:
Back to square one. Edsa web site gives me the perfect solution to get to Pamplona from Biarritz airport but when I went to book tickets it took me into ALSA website and they say the next run for that bus is 22nd March so any idea how to get to Pamplona on 16thMarch. I am really stumped

What time does your flight arrive in Biarritz?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

tpmchugh said:

Hi again tpmchugh,

You can still get to Pamplona on time by taking the train from Biarritz to Hendaye (on the French side of the Franco-Spanish border; Irún is on the Spanish side), then another local called the "Topo" (mole) from Hendaye to San Sebastian, and finally the bus that I mentioned in a post above from San Sebastian to Pamplona. Here's an example of how you could pull it off, assuming you arrive in Biarritz in time to catch a train departing at 15.48. I've included links to the relevant websites:

From BIARRITZ to HENDAYE via SNCF (French National Railway)
16/03/13
15:48 - 16:11 Travel Time: 0h 23m

http://www.voyages-sncf.co.uk/

From HENDAYE to SAN SEBASTIAN (via EUSKOTREN "TOPO")
16/03/2013
16:33 - 17:10 Travel Time: 0h 37m

http://www.euskotren.es/sites/www2.euskotren.es/files/@48x68 HORARIOS Y FRECUENCIAS MD_ENE2013.pdf

From the train station it's a short walk to the bus station.

From SAN SEBASTIAN to PAMPLONA (via La RONCALESA bus service, operated by La CONDA)
16/03/2013
18:30 - 20:30 Travel Time: 2h 00m with stops, OR
19:30 -20:30 Travel Time: 1h 00m.

http://www.movelia.es/transicion_conda/venta.htm#

Although I indicated in my response to danier above that there is a 18.30 bus along the autovía, that information is for Fridays and Sundays. You're travelling on a Saturday, so these appear to be the best options available to you that will get you into Pamplona on your original schedule.The link above takes you to the web page of La CONDA which is where this current information comes from. The 19:30 bus is the one that takes an hour. Either way, whether you leave at 18:30 or 19:30, you'll still get into Pamplona at your original target time of 20:30.

I hope this helps. As always, be prepared for alterations in services due to weather and (irritatingly) train or bus strikes. I'm not aware of any planned at the moment, but you need to arm yourself with patience always when dealing with the French rail system or bus service in Spain. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Navaricano, you should be in business as a travel agent or magician. Our plane lands 15:55 so we can get the train at 17:48 which will get us in on time for the 18:33 Euskotren. That will get us into San Sebastian at 19:10 so hopefully we will be able to make the 19:30 bus to Pamplona arriving 20:30. Thanks for the help

tpmchugh said:
Navaricano, you should be in business as a travel agent or magician. Our plane lands 15:55 so we can get the train at 17:48 which will get us in on time for the 18:33 Euskotren. That will get us into San Sebastian at 19:10 so hopefully we will be able to make the 19:30 bus to Pamplona arriving 20:30. Thanks for the help

Not a problem tpmchugh. 20 minutes is kind of tight to make it up the street and get your ticket, so you'll have to hoof it! But you should be able to make it in ten minutes...

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Hi, switching plans at a distance in Canada, figuring on setting out from Irun instead of St JPdeP because of the weather, and then heading into Santo Domingo or to Burgos. Any advice from pilgrims about this route in March? Are the albergues open, can I download some guidebooks, is the waymarking reasonable?
I may have read some of this already on the forum...if you've already posted about it, I apologize! :oops:

A pilgrim reports that the road to Valcarlos is walkable today. Winds with gust to 80kph are predicted for tomorrow, with total snowfall for the storm at 15cm. Once the roads are plowed, it is a matter of dodging the occasional bad driver!

Valcarlos is about 400 meters elevation; the crest before Roncesvalles is about 1,000 meters. Remember that the temperature drop is 1C for each 100m of elevation rise, so slush at Valcarlos could be very frozen at the top.

Ok, I'm in San Sebastian. Is it agreed with you experts that St Sean is a no go due to the weather condition? ...that even Valcarlos is too risky. FALCON, YOU seem to say Valcarlos is good on the one hand but talk of worsening conditions. Do you all suggest heading for Pamplona as the starting point? Thanks.

Please keep information coming on SJPP/Orisson/Valcarlos/Roncesvalles. I expect to be in SJPP on April 4 no matter what the weather. I know I'll have little say in the final outcome, but it'll be nice to know if there is hope for the Route Napoleon. Buen Camino, all!

BTW, my plane diverted to Bilbao when it was unable to land in San Sebastian due to snow conditions. We were taken by bus from Bilbao to San Sebastian. Snow was on all low mountain tops during that drive. If St. Jean is not possible, we will make the best of it. Had great tapas last night and will head for Bilbao again today for the Gugenheim museum. Will see more of San Sebestian before heading for Pamplona tomorrow. Oh well!

Dear Navarricano and others: Many thanks again for the links and responses, it seems a short walk form the airport to the bus station and we will find the bus to Pamplona from there, am leaving Johannesburg Friday evening and will watch the weather and make a final decision once in Spai.

It's currently -2ºC (28ºF) and snowing in Pamplona. It's been snowing since 7.00 am (it's just before 11.00am right now. Up in Roncesvalles and at Ibañeta, the snowfall is heavier. The Sierra de Perdón to the southwest of the city is covered in snow once more.

So, all the advice given previously is in full force. The Route Napoleon is out of the question. From St. Jean Pied-de-Port to Roncesvalles, wlak the Valcarlos route and take every precaution. Stay to the paved highway in snowy weather and do not follow the arrows into the woods. Be alert and careful with the traffic, and wear bright, reflective orange or yellow safety vests or ponchos so that you can be easily spotted by car and truck drivers on the road.

Likewise, between Roncesvalles and Zubiri. The recommendation is to keep to the road at present because of the weather conditions.

What's the prognosis for next weekend then given current snow levels and the forecast ? would it be wise to start from Pamplona ?

A friend said that it was snowing all the way to Logroño but that it is coming down softly now.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Sally Gibb said:
Hi, switching plans at a distance in Canada, figuring on setting out from Irun instead of St JPdeP because of the weather, and then heading into Santo Domingo or to Burgos. Any advice from pilgrims about this route in March? Are the albergues open, can I download some guidebooks, is the waymarking reasonable?
I may have read some of this already on the forum...if you've already posted about it, I apologize! :oops:

Its called Camino Vasco del Interior. There is a thread on this website. (see other routes in spain)

This link to an online guide appears in the thread:
http://www.angelpilger.net/camvasint.html

Thanks. I've heard from a couple of kind souls about this and decided to stay on the Frances, either leaving from St. Jean or if the conditions not suitable from Pamplona. Thanks everyone!

The Best Laid Plans O' Mice and Men
Gang Aft A'Gley
(Go often wrong)

Great work on keeping us all up to date with the Route Napoleon and many thanks for that.
I hope that by the 8th of April the pass will be open as that is when I was supposed to start from SJPP, but if it isn't to be, then it won't be the end of the world and we can treat it as one of life's little problems, and "go by another way"
I am very lucky, I am retired, and really it doesn't matter how long it takes!
Neil

Trish and her daughters made it from Valcarlos to Roncesvalles this morning in four inches of snow, so if you are tough and from New Hampshire, it is a piece of cake. The daughters described the day as easy, and are getting lots of free stuff from the locals for their bravery.

Friday and Saturday will see a break in the weather until more snow and rain hit. There cannot be much of a view with the cloud cover, but you will get to see snow. It is all road walk, and probably will be most of the way to Pamplona.

Even New Hampshire-ites are not trying the Napolean route, or going off the pavement, so the path is a nice paved grade, suitable for aging Spanish trucks and underpowered cars. No rock scrambles, no mud, not even a step over a tree root.

If you just want to say you have been over the Pyrenees, Friday and Saturday may be OK. After that, the road may be walkable, but the vistas will still be obscured by clouds, rain, and snow.

Buen camino!

Refugio Acacio E Orietta have posted photos of a snow covered Viloria and Camino Periódico Peregrino showed the road to Manjarin which was cleared od snow by snow ploughs. The albergue is covered in snow.

Just walked from Pamplona to uterga today and the snow was blizzard conditions going up to the peregrino monuments, we had to stop in uterga as got soaked through even our backpacks.

We started our walk from sjpdp on Monday 11th march to Roncesvalles had to take the valcarlos route, we managed to take all the wood routes but had a lot of snow in them the wood route to Ibaneta had 2 foot of snow in it, I wood say they are all in passable now and will have to take the road all the way to Roncesvalles as there has been snow for the last 2 days

Does anyone know how to get from puente LA Reina or Estella to Santander on Saturday 17th, As we are flying home on the sunday morning, We only had 1 week on the Camino, We really enjoyed it And all the people we met, despite the weather, can you go by bus direct or do we have to find a way back to Pamplona, thanks Alistair

Hi folks, I have photos of SJPP, Valcarlos, and Roncesvalles on my blog - http://www.girlsontheway.com.

If you have limited time, then start at Pamplona. If you have ample time and don't mind the snow, then start at SJPP. Yes, it's a road walk and the views are minimal in the snowy conditions, but the places are still wonderful and the people are fabulous. There are quite a few pilgrims here - the Roncesvalles albergue was full tonight, I think.

Though we don't usually enjoy road walks, getting from Valcarlos to Roncesvalles was not difficult. The road never gets even close to steep and all the cars gave us a wide berth. Be sure to stay far to the side and wear the orange vests! Yes, we walked through a heavy snowfall, but as I've written before, we are used to that.

The girls had fun throwing snowballs at each other and knocking snow off the guardrails. If you are NOT from a place that routinely has tons of snow and cold conditions, then you might not like this part of the Camino right now.

Looks like we will have to walk the road again tomorrow, then after that the Way is supposedly clear.

We should be in Pamplona by the evening of the 16th or 17th; we hope to see some of you there.

Buen Camino!
Trish

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Well, we changed our minds...Will head for st. JEAN today and try the Valcarlos route. May
Start at noon and stay at Orisson or wait until tomorrow and do it completely. Wish us luck...Will report on what happens. BUEN Camino!

amafrin said:
Does anyone know how to get from puente LA Reina or Estella to Santander on Saturday 17th, As we are flying home on the sunday morning, We only had 1 week on the Camino, We really enjoyed it And all the people we met, despite the weather, can you go by bus direct or do we have to find a way back to Pamplona, thanks Alistair

There is a bus route from Pamplona to Logrono that stops in Puente del Reine and Estella:

http://www.laestellesa.com/servicios/index.asp

Sat 16 March 2013
PdR EA LO
0800 0825 0930
1025 1050 1150
1100 1115 1200
1404 1430 1525
1655 1720 1820
1745 1800 1845
1930 2000 2100

There is a bus route from Logrono to Santander:

http://www.alsa.es/en/buy-and-schedules ... ype=common

Sat 16 March 2013
LO SR
1200 - 1530
1600 - 2015
1600 - 2030
2115 - 0045 (+1 day)

There may be others. Usually best to go to the bus terminal and see whats on the board.

Thanks for that it helps us a lot as we will walk to Estella from where ever we stop tonight and get the bus on Saturday morning, gracias from Alistair and Jackie

TrishAlexSage, THANK YOU so much for your log and photos ! You have given validation to my choice to start from sjpp tomorrow ! Hopefully we'll pass along the way. I'll be the guy that looks like a big green egg!

To everyone else, thanks again for all of the heads up on the conditions! This forum has been a huge resource, it seems we're never really alone!

Cheers!

RcTeller (aka Paul)

I wonder if I'll see anyone in St Jean? I'll be there on Tuesday night. I'll take whatever comes as God reveals it (more than likely through the knowledge of the locals). I'm happy to try if it's possible, go either high road or low, hang around St Jean and Bayonne for a couple of days or so, or head out to the coast and try a different Camino altogether. Why not? I never asked for this passionate burning inside me to walk the Camino - it was put in my heart by something bigger than me! So I will open my ears and eyes as to which direction I go and when. I never knew what lay ahead of me from St Jean anyway - it's all going to be amazing (and obviously cold...)!!
Bien Camino
Georgia and I need warmer clothes!!!

There is a break in the weather. Rain/snow returns Sunday, but it will be all rain up to Valcarlos, then some snow in Roncesvalles, probably light. The off-road sections will probably be pretty bad footing, but the pavement will be OK.

Buen camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Thank you so much to those posting updates on the weather. I am a month away from starting but will keep a close eye on this. I love this forum!!

Slow down some of you, if starting in sjpdep and walking Valcarlos route you do not go anywhere near Albergue d'Orisson which is on Napoleon route, Buen camino

Flying out in the morning. Will definitely be starting from Pamplona but as that is going to make tomorrow a long hard day of travelling we will stay two nights there and start out on Monday 18th. Thanks to all who have given advice in this thread and all the best to those still trying to decide what to do. If I have the same luck as my daughter who has travelled all over Europe and currently in the Caribbean heading for Fort Lauderdale, then we will be in Pamplona at 20:30. That girl of mine even got through Miami immigration last week with the wrong visa :)
Buen Camino to all

Terry and Chris

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Rcteller said:
TrishAlexSage, THANK YOU so much for your log and photos ! You have given validation to my choice to start from sjpp tomorrow ! Hopefully we'll pass along the way. I'll be the guy that looks like a big green egg!

To everyone else, thanks again for all of the heads up on the conditions! This forum has been a huge resource, it seems we're never really alone!

Cheers!

RcTeller (aka Paul)

A big green egg? I hope we meet so I can understand why you think you look like that, lol.

Glad to be of help. We are taking a day off in Pamplona so you'll probably catch up to us.

Buen Camino,
Trish

We went from urtegra today to Estella today and the weather was fabulous, we had planned to stop in Lorca but there was no albergues open or in the next one so had to walk to Estella. About 28 km, so might need to check which villages have albergues open as our guide book said Lorca has a Albergue open all year. This is where we finish for now so hope you all enjoy the rest of the Camino. Hopefully not too ,long till our next section. Alistair and Jackie

Anyone any idea what the weather will be like late April from SJPP to Roncesvalles.

A link to a known accurate weather site would be appreciated.

I am mad but want to walk in snow. Sadly the 22nd April is the first I can get away. :cry:

A selection of Camino Jewellery

http://www.yr.no/place/Norway/

Methodist pilgrim, this is the one I use for my Irish hill walking, Norwegian Meteorlogical organisation, have found it very reliable for Irish mountains.

supersullivan. thank you. :D

I will be arriving in SJPP on Fri 22nd March and I hope the snow will have cleared by then!
thanks to all who have been updating this thread daily re weather - its been a fantastic help.
I had only intended bringing a sleeping bag liner but am concerned that it will not be enough for the temperatures. Do I need to take a sleeping bag???
The plan is to walk from SJ to Santiago so I wanted to keep backpack as light as possible.

Buen Camino to all :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

You were planning to use blankets with the liner, so you can stick to the plan. Remember that Roncesvalles is one of the few places without blankets. If that is a problem, stay in one of the hostales.

The sky has cleared a bit, but there will be rain all the way to Pamplona, at least intermittently, through the beginning of the week. The snow level is above both Valcarlos and Roncesvalles. There is a warning for thawing, which I would take to mean lots of mud and path/road drainage. The best footing will still be on the road, and waymarks may be obscured by snow on the paths.

Falcon, that's almost the best news I've heard in weeks :)

Mairerua, I hope to meet you in SJ! I will be there 21st, but not prepared to jump straight onto the trail - wherever it may be, and wherever it may lead us - until I've spoken to lots of knowledable locals (and actually, had a good sleep and rested after the 3 days travel to get there).

The snow may be keeping me in, but it seems a wonderful place to be kept in :D

methodist.pilgrim.98 said:
Anyone any idea what the weather will be like late April from SJPP to Roncesvalles.

A link to a known accurate weather site would be appreciated.

I am mad but want to walk in snow. Sadly the 22nd April is the first I can get away. :cry:[/quote

methodist.pilgrim.98

If you have smart phone / ipad then I recommend e-weather HD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDyeXEmFUR8 I think it was a recommendation from a veteran poster on this site - can't remember now - but it looks very good for and gives you a forward week forecast

Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Well made it to Roncesvalles. Got in to St. JEAN too late Friday for an afternoon start to Valcarlos. Took off early today and made it in to Roncesvalles by 2:00p. Long trip due to snowy and wind conditions. Worth the trials though since saw many sights and met many great people. Must say that the route was not as obvious as marked as some have said. Remember to bring good maps from the pilgrim office and be efficacious for the small signs. Also stay on the roads...it may be longer...but safer. The weather will be rainy out of Roncesvalles tomorrow morning. BUEN Camino.

Thank U Kevin.

As I own neither a smart phone nor ipad the link is of little use, but others will be glad of it.

I have decided to book to Bilbao and then decide nearer the time where I am going to walk.

Either SJpdP or Astorga as starting points!

falcon269 said:
You were planning to use blankets with the liner, so you can stick to the plan. Remember that Roncesvalles is one of the few places without blankets. If that is a problem, stay in one of the hostales.
quote]

Thanks Falcon, I was getting concerned when reading about all the snow! As you said, I think I will stick with the original plan and adjust it on the journey if necessary. Its my first Camino and getting a few last minute nerves before take off

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

'Mairerua, I hope to meet you in SJ! I will be there 21st, but not prepared to jump straight onto the trail - wherever it may be, and wherever it may lead us - until I've spoken to lots of knowledable locals (and actually, had a good sleep and rested after the 3 days travel to get there)'

Hi Reg2450, hope to see you in SJ and if not, I'm sure we will meet along the way. Flying from Dublin on Fri 22nd and hope to be walking on Sat 23rd.

Buen Camino :D

Navarricano, thanks for all your help, we reached Pamplona 9, 45 last night. Start wlking tomorrow. Would never have gotten this far without you. To any other Irish reading this, happy St Patrick's day. Don't drink too much lol

tpmchugh said:
Navarricano, thanks for all your help, we reached Pamplona 9, 45 last night. Start wlking tomorrow. Would never have gotten this far without you. To any other Irish reading this, happy St Patrick's day. Don't drink too much lol

TP,

Happy St. Patrick's Day, I only had one pint today ( Guinness of course ) and drank it while wishing all on the Camino at present in these less than pleasant conditions a period of rapidly improving weather.

Buen camino

Seamus

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

I Start my walk/crawl at SJPDP on the 12th April. Hope the high road is clear by then

I arrive in SJdPP on coming Saturday - and being a total Camino rookie, I need some help here....
Should I not cross the Pyrenees? Alternatively Go to Pamplona and start off there or ??

The Pyrenees crossing should be fine; expect rain, though.

falcon269 said:
The Pyrenees crossing should be fine; expect rain, though.
How long must I expect the trip from SJdPP to Roncevalles to take in these conditions...approx?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

I average about 3 kph, so seven to eight hours. In thousands of kilometers of walking, I have passed only seven pilgrims who were not stopped. I am probably a bad benchmark for speed estimates...

falcon269 said:
In thousands of kilometers of walking, I have passed only seven pilgrims who were not stopped.
:lol:

falcon269 said:
I average about 3 kph, so seven to eight hours. In thousands of kilometers of walking, I have passed only seven pilgrims who were not stopped. I am probably a bad benchmark for speed estimates...

Just to make sure that I get it rigth; from SJdPP to Roncesvalles - under the current conditions - 7 to 8 hours walk...and I would have to stick to the mainroad right?

Not to sound brusque, but you should make your own decision. There will be lots of standing snow that will be melting and obscuring waymarks along the Napolean route. However, most of it is on roads. The Valcarlos route is mostly road, and you can avoid the mud by staying on the road when the signs divert you into the trees. You can even stay on road on the Napolean route by turning right at the crest toward Valcarlos.

Only you know the footing you want. The descent into Roncesvalles can be very slippery when wet. When you set out from SJPdP you can analyze the actual conditions, and make final decisions.

The weather does not look dangerous. Temperatures are decent. A blizzard is unlikely. Expect rain and a bit of wind.

Buen camino.

starting at 8 am and finishing at 4pm this time of year is still going to be good going...there will be a number of rest spots...top up food and caffine at Orrison.Not sure i would venture on the high route after 9 am.Please most importantly...take the pilgrims office on the best route,be prepared to take their advice even if you have set your heart on Napoleon.

na2than said:
starting at 8 am and finishing at 4pm this time of year is still going to be good going...there will be a number of rest spots...top up food and caffine at Orrison.Not sure i would venture on the high route after 9 am.Please most importantly...take the pilgrims office on the best route,be prepared to take their advice even if you have set your heart on Napoleon.

Being a rookie I just want to get off to a decent start - and I have no preferences other than getting to Roncesvalles on my first day....thanks for the comments and help :)

€60,-

Hi,
I'm thinking about booking a last minute camino,starting on April 2nd. Just wondering what the likelihood is that weather will be ok to go over the Pyrenees? I don't want to walk on road if can be avoided so if that's probably what'll happen I think I'll postpone my trip...any advice would be great...first timer and bit clueless! :D
Siobhan

any advice would be great...first timer and bit clueless!
Welcome! The weather forecast is not accurate until much nearer your walking date. Make your plans, then make adjustments at the last minute. The current trend is warmer, with some rain and mud. However, there can always be a sudden late storm.

Great!! Thanks a million,will book flights and hope for the best..well used to rain anyway being irish :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Hi Folks, Just flew in from Salt Lake City to Dallas and am waiting for my mom and sister to arrive from Tampa. Tonight, we fly out to Madrid and onward to Pamplona where we should be arriving around 1300 tomorow, and then we will take a taxi to SJPDP. Excited doesn't even describe the feeling! Any news about the Napoleon Route being open? We plan to start Thursday. Any other "pelegrinos" starting 3/21?
Ultreia!

Any news about the Napoleon Route being open?
It is never really "closed"; just safe or unsafe. The rain and snow have stopped until Friday night, so the path may be muddy, but the road, which is most of both routes, will be good footing. Highs and lows at Valcarlos will be above freezing, with the low around freezing at night at Roncesvalles.

Buen camino.

Made it to SJPDP. It was an absolutely beautiful day, but they are still not recommending the Napoleon route. So, in one hour we will be starting the Varcarlos route on our way to Roncevalles. Hoping for a day as beautiful and sunny as yesterday!
Lots of pilgrims from everywhere here!
Thank you Falcon for sharing so much knowledge with us.
Vayan con Dios y Buen Camino Peregrinos!
xo.

Glorious weather. Couldn't ask for better

Great to hear that - pls may it stay that way til - at least - this day next week! Are you heading off from StJean today? Buen camino

IveMar said:
Made it to SJPDP. It was an absolutely beautiful day, but they are still not recommending the Napoleon route. So, in one hour we will be starting the Varcarlos route on our way to Roncevalles. Hoping for a day as beautiful and sunny as yesterday!
Lots of pilgrims from everywhere here!
Thank you Falcon for sharing so much knowledge with us.
Vayan con Dios y Buen Camino Peregrinos!
xo.
I can feel your excitement and the new friends to be made! Have a wonderful Camino!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Hello all,

Forgive me for disappearing so abruptly from the thread. Following my last post last Thursday morning, I developed an infection around an impacted wisdom tooth that that dropped me like a rock. By Friday morning I was in the orthodontist's office in agony. I missed work Friday and spent the entire weekend in bed on painkillers and antibiotics; I'm still on the antibiotics and am now facing oral surgery. :? But the pain is gone and I'm back on my feet.

The good news, as several recent arrivals have reported above, the Camino is clear of snow from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I've just spoken to my contact at the Guardia Civil, and he advised caution on some of the ascent and descent of Mt. Erro, but he sees no need to stick to the paved road at this point.

They are still advising against crossing from St. Jean Pied-de-Port to Roncesvalles via the Route Napoleon.

The rain is expected to start again on Saturday afternoon and continue off and on every day through Wednesday. The good news here is that the snow line will be well above the altitude of the valley at Roncesvalles until next Wednesday, when it is expected to drop to 800 meters. However, the temperatures are not expected to hit 0ºC, so that should prevent any accumulation in the valleys between Roncesvalles and Zubiri.

So bring your wet gear, your gaiters and your walking poles for slick trails. You'll get muddy, but you can stay off the roads now. Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back