• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

IMPORTANT: Advice for pilgrims setting off APRIL 2013

CJ Williams

Time of past OR future Camino
Via Turonense (1995)
Camino Francés (1996; 1999; 2001; 2005; 2008; 2011)
Camino Aragonés (2000)
As I have seen a number of requests for info and posts by folks planning to start the Camino in March, I though I'd post a heads up weather-wise:

Roncesvalles and the Pass at Ibañeta are still buried under several meters of snow, and it is snowing today in the north of Navarra.

Additionally, Navarra has received two-thirds of its annual average rainfall in the past month alone. 475 litres per square meter, folks. And while the weather forecast for the next 15 days indicates that temperatures will begin to rise down here in Pamplona in the first week of March, more rain is predicted then as well. Up in the mountains, sub-zero temperatures are expected to continue throughout this week and well into the first weeks of March.

So, come prepared for the possibility of snow in the mountains, or at least very wet and deeply muddy trails. Also, come prepared to change your plans. Under no circumstances should you consider walking over the mountain pass at Ibañeta from St. Jean Pied-de-Port to Roncesvalles if there is snow. And there probably will be for some weeks yet. Pay attention to weather forecasts and take very, very seriously the advice of the locals. If they tell you not to cross from France on foot, or not to walk at all, don't do it! And if they advise you to stay off the trails and stick to the road, do it.

As I posted previously, Navarra's emergency rescue services are now charging for rescues due to imprudence. And imprudence means ignoring weather forecasts, local advice and not having the correct equipment.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Re: IMPORTANT: Advice for pilgrims setting off in March 2013

When the momentis right- call the information at St Jean, they know for sure.
Today she said they expect the snow to last till April this year.
++333559370509

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I will be walking from st jean on the 10th march,needless to say i won't take the high route if i am advised not to.I just want to make sure i can get there(roncesvalles) by the lower route-is the valcarlos route always kept open,and if it is,would you need to walk on the road rather than the trail?

-is the valcarlos route always kept open
It is plowed, so once the snow has stopped, it may be passable. Shoulders may disappear, so the legally required (in Spain) high visibility vest should be worn. If there is blowing snow from drifts or if there is fog, road walking may be very dangerous. In good weather with a good road surface, Spanish drivers are not terribly pedestrian aware. :wink:

falcon269 said:
-is the valcarlos route always kept open
It is plowed, so once the snow has stopped, it may be passable. Shoulders may disappear, so the legally required (in Spain) high visibility vest should be worn. If there is blowing snow from drifts or if there is fog, road walking may be very dangerous. In good weather with a good road surface, Spanish drivers are not terribly pedestrian aware. :wink:

Food for thought.As much as i want to start in st jean,i'm not going to take any chances,and i will get a taxi/bus out if i need to.But i've just under 2 weeks before i leave,so here's hoping for a bit of good luck.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Falcon's advice above is sound. The road route is plowed and salted as far as possible, but it is a two-lane highway that winds through a heavily wooded mountain pass, so if there's a snowstorm they may not get to it quickly enough. Even on the road route you could find yourself getting isolated in fog or snow. And, as he also said, the shoulders disappear in snow; at some of the bends in the highway along the Valcarlos route there ain't a whole lot of shoulder to begin with, so you need to think in terms of car and truck drivers battling icy conditions. :shock:

Even if you're planning to start in Roncesvalles though, the Camino towns of Burguete and Espinal and the passes of Mezkiritz and Erro have been buried under several metres of snow over the past few weeks and their main streets impassable, not just the monastery. Even if the buses can get you up to the monastery, you may not be able to hike over the passes between Roncesvalles and Zubiri without sticking to the metalled highway. And you need to be very cautious about snowstorms and fogs. Wearing reflective safety-yellow wet weather gear is always good advice.

Inform yourself before heading up to Roncesvalles or over the mountain to St. Jean Pied-de-Port. The e-mail for the Colegiata de Roncesvalles is realcolegiata@hotmail.com. Their telephone number is +34 948 790 480.

Could someone please tell me the most sensible place to start in these conditions? I'm planning on leaving SJPP on the 15th march.

Many thanks

Stu

In warming weather the road shoulders will clear after a couple of days. Keep in mind that the Roncesvalles weather is from an elevation lower than the crest of the Napolean Route. Snow conditions that look pretty good in Roncesvalles will not be duplicated at the top. There will be deeper snow and less thawing. The road sections of the Napolean will be plowed after the snow stops. It is possible to stay on the road from the Napolean (D-428). Take a right turn on the D-128, and it will connect at Valcarlos. It is several kilometers longer because it doubles back, but you avoid the potentially impassable cross country downhill into Roncesvalles. Being road, it is a gradual downhill with switchbacks. The footing is good, but it will be a long day from SJPdP.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Hi All! Be very visible when walking from Valcarlos along the road. Some kind of fluorescent vest would be good, especially in bad weather. The road isn't all that busy but the cars and trucks that do pass may be travelling fairly quickly round sharp corners. You can probably dump the vest in the albergue in Roncesvalles or beyond to save weight, and hopefully they'll find their way back to SJPP or Valcarlos for future pilgs. Buen Camino!

I too am hoping to start my Camino on the 10th of March, just added hi vis jacket to my rucksack....Looking forward to it with a little trepidation....Thanks for the advice

Dcgrannell said:
I too am hoping to start my Camino on the 10th of March, just added hi vis jacket to my rucksack....Looking forward to it with a little trepidation....Thanks for the advice
No need for trepidation! Why worry about having the time of your life? Go for it and enjoy every minute, even the blistered ones. :cry: Buen Camino!

p.s. It's worth having something hi vis on your front as well as your back as you tend to be walking towards the traffic on the left hand side of the road.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Is there one specific vest Spain requires you to wear? If so, can we buy it in SJPP? Or is it possible to wear any kind of reflective vest?

TrishAlexSage said:
Is there one specific vest Spain requires you to wear? If so, can we buy it in SJPP? Or is it possible to wear any kind of reflective vest?
I don't think there's anything specific. If it looks like common sense to you it will look like common sense to them, I imagine. The Policia/Guardia Civil are quite pragmatic these days, especially with pilgrims. Buen Camino!

Many thanks!

I've been going back and forth on deciding if I should bring my hard-core (but relatively light-weight) insulated water-proof hiking boots in addition to my waterproof trail runners. Guess it's official...the boots are coming (the girls were already going to bring theirs).

We won't be disappointed if we can't go over the Napoleon route, as I hear the Valcarlos way is also beautiful. I will have to admit that I'll be a bit disappointed if we're forced to road-walk a lot of the Camino, though. I hope enough of the deep snow is gone by mid-March to do most of The Way (as opposed to The Road).

Thanks for the heads-up, we'll be sure to be careful.

Trish, Alex, and Sage.
Leaving March 13 from SJPP
Hiking to raise money for Global Fund for Women and GirlVentures (about $8500 raised so far).

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Would it be worth remembering that a Hi Vis vest will be obscured from behind by the rucksack?
allan

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

We have "hunter orange" vests we wear during hunting season. Based on the above-mentioned thread, it might be enough for us to wear those...and I can stick some reflective tape along the borders just to be extra-careful.(?) We wear those "hunter orange" vests above treeline in the fog and they've always done the trick (haven't lost one of my kids in the clouds yet).

http://www.trishalexsage.com/2012/01/tu ... inter.html
(Vests are in the pictures in the trip report...couldn't figure out how to post a link to one single picure within the blog, sorry!)

So looks like it doesn't have to be yellow, could be hunter orange as long as it's bright, sticks out, and is reflective (I hope, anyway...if I get there and find out from a police fellow that I'm wrong, then I'll post that in my Camino blog). Not a bad idea to pack something like that regardless of the laws anyway. It's cheap and light safety gear.

Spanish traffic ordinances do in fact require the use of of a reflective vest, or a comparable garment, by walkers on the shoulders of the road outside of a village or town at sunrise, sunset or in adverse meteorological conditions such as rain, snow and fog.

The relevant section of the traffic regulations reads as follows:

Outside the village, between sunset and sunrise, or in weather in which environmental visibility is substantially reduced, all pedestrians, whether walking on the road or the shoulder of the road, should be equipped with an approved retroreflective article of clothing or a light that is visible to a minimum distance of 150 meters for approaching drivers. (Royal Decree 1407/1992 of 20 November 2003)

Both yellow and orange are acceptable colors under Spanish law. These reflective vests are very lightweight and can be easily obtained in St. Jean Pied-de-Port. You should look into getting one before you leave home though. They are the same type as those worn by road crews working on highway contruction.

However, there are plenty of reflective hiking jackets and rain capes in these colors which can be purchased from any good sporting goods or outdoor outfitter that will also meet the legal requirements nicely.

In addition to a reflective jacket or vest for yourself, for backpacks you could always purchase a lightweight, reflective backpack cover (they have them on Amazon UK) and they have the added advantage of being rainproof:

51pvsQgdqoL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Excellent, thank you! I'll ask at SJPP if our hunter orange vests will do the trick. If they won't, then I'll buy what's required. Those vests weigh nothing so I won't mind carrying them plus whatever i might buy at SJPP.

Even when it's not hunting season or bad weather, it's always nice to have something like that anyway. If you do a lot of backwoods hiking and God forbid you have an accident, draping yourself with something like that makes it that much easier for SAR to spot you. Also good to wear when hiking with kids...they can easily spot you, you can easily spot them.

Trish

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Hi Trish!

I'm certain your vests will be just fine. If they're designed so you're visible to hunters in the woods, then I'm sure they're just grand for road safety.

¡Buen Camino!

As an aside,if a lot of the early part of the french route is under heavy snow,how about the alternative via bayonne then on to the irun/tunnel route,and meeting up with the camino frances later,on lower ground?
Or does this route also cross high ground which will most likely have the same conditions?
I'm finding it hard to find info on the above,any advice would be most welcome.

TrishAlexSage said:
I will have to admit that I'll be a bit disappointed if we're forced to road-walk a lot of the Camino, though. I hope enough of the deep snow is gone by mid-March to do most of The Way (as opposed to The Road).
TrishAlexSage.

It will be fine. It really is just that stretch for an hour or two after Valcarlos where you have to walk on a 'busy' road. There may be a couple of hundred metres here and there later on, but it really is quite safe overall. Certainly there are other stretches where you walk on asphalt, but they tend to be the quietest of country roads with a car once in a blue moon, and you can see/hear it a mile away. Usually when you're walking by the road it's on a separate path (senda) separated from the road by a drainage ditch, and with a loose gravel rather than tarmac.

Buen Camino!

p.s. I walked in March last year and saw no snow, except on the mountains in the distance. I just started from Pamplona, and those who had started in SJPP had walked through snow at the start. It was still OK to do the Route Napoleon, though. :D

A selection of Camino Jewellery

We each bought a sleeveless fluorescent mesh vest with reflective stripes. I put them on over the rucksac and undone down the front, then split them up the sides. Hemmed the sides and added a ribbon tie to each of the new bottom corners. A safety pin at the top to hold it to itself where it passed over the rucksac to make a box shape. If worn without the rucksac then we pinned the underarm together again. Worked a treat. The front had velcro fastening.

Attachments

• safety vest.jpg
    safety vest.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 19,433

Folks, I really am not trying to be argumentative or alarmist here, nor put the kibosh on anyone's Camino dreams, but I cannot stress enough that this winter has been extreme in Roncesvalles and the surrounding valleys, and there is more snow predicted. Whatever snow may have been there last winter when some pilgrims decided to walk from St. Jean Pied-de-Port via the Route Napoleon, it was nothing like this year's. Last winter was a very, very mild one; it didn't rain or snow the way it has this year. For this very reason, there are signs posted at Orisson in five languages warning pilgrims not to follow the Route Napoleon in adverse climatological conditions. Snow is definitely an adverse climatological condition in the mountains, and the weather is famously unpredictable in the Pyrenees. It can change in a matter of minutes, even in the summer. Heed the warnings of locals and pay attention to weather forecasts. Your loved ones want you back home alive when your journey's over.

Finally, as I mentioned above, this year, apart from the snow (and it is coming down again outside my window here in Pamplona as I write this), Navarra has gotten two-thirds of its annual average rainfall in the past month alone. That is a lot of water! So, even if every single bit of the snow were to melt off in the next two weeks, between the snow and the rain, streams are going to be swollen and the trails are going to be deep in mud for a while yet.

If you want to see a slideshow of the snow in Roncesvalles a couple of weeks ago, follow this link here and you'll get an idea of what this winter has been like up there: http://www.diariodenavarra.es/multimedi ... alles.html

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

You're not coming across as argumentative at all. :) We're no stranger to snow, as we reguarly hike through feet of it in the mountains near our home. You're right -- snow and cold temperatures (and cold rain!) are nothing to take lightly, especially in the mountains. Hypothermia and frostbite are no joke.

The three of us have four years of winter mountain hiking under our belts -- however, we won't have our snowshoes with us on this trip (though, from what you write, they might come in handy even when we're not in the mountains, lol) and we don't know the Pyranees at all, so there's no way we (or anyone else!) should go over the Napoleon route if everyone's telling the pilgrims to stay low and go via Valcarlos. Ditto for the other mountain passes.

I appreciate your posts and I've been paying attention to the weather reports. It's too bad the locals don't regularly hike the Napoleon route in snowshoes, though -- we hike mountains in the winter along with a bunch of other NH hikers so there's almost always a packed snowshoe track up and over the peaks here in the Whites -- it can be like walking on a white sidewalk and, if you're dressed appropriately, the hiking can therefore be easier in the winter than it is in the summer (no rocks or roots, just a solid white snow path). HOWEVER -- it appears the locals don't hike the Napoleon in snowshoes on a regular basis, and, since, I'm not bringing snowshoes myself and I don't know that mountain pass at all, it's lookin' more and more like we'll be checking out that nice albergue in Valcarlos on the evening of March 13th. Unless, of course, things drastically change in the next two weeks which, from what you write, they probably won't. I can't imagine wading through knee-deep/waist-deep snow for hours and hours without snowshoes would be much fun....a relatively easy day of walking to Valcarlos sounds much beter. More time to relax, more time to lounge about, more time for that extra glass of wine, lol.

One thing the girls and I have talked about is coming back to Roncesvalles after we've reached Santiago and hiking the Napolean route from Ronc. to SJPP before we return to the States. It'll be late April/early May by then, so the route might be snow-free. We'd be going the opposite direction from all the other pilgrims and we could hand out candy along the way (trail magic!). We stand on summits and give out candy to the Appalachian Trail thru-hikers every summer where we live -- it would be great fun to do the same kind of thing on the Camino! We'll see how we feel after we reach Santiago.

Hope to met other pilgrims in Valcarlos the evening of March 13. :D

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Hi there

Rather alarmed at the dire snow warnings and I may be panicking unduly and too prematurely, but best to be prepared.

I was intending to walk the Arles route leaving Auch 29 March - is it likely to be a similar situation for Somport? I will be keeping a close watch on the meteo, and asking local advice.

I think there is a bus which would be possible if the weather is bad, I'm certainly not keen to walk along any roads in snow or rain.

Thanks for any information or advice you can pass on. I've found so much useful, wise and entertaining on these forums.

Dalston999

Can someone please tell me if its easy to get transport out of StJPP if the snow is bad. I may start Pamplona if possible?

Thanks

Stu

Stuart79 said:
Can someone please tell me if its easy to get transport out of StJPP if the snow is bad. I may start Pamplona if possible?

Thanks

Stu

Stu,

If the snow is bad you might get a TER line 62 train out of SJPdP to Bayonne, another train from Bayonne to Hendaye/Irun and then a Spanish train from Irun to Pamplona.

Stay safe and Buen Camino.

Margaret Meredith

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

To start in Roncesvalles or to start in Pamplona seems to be the question of the week. Does anybody know what the current situation on the leg Roncesvalles-Zubiri-Pamplona is?
Many thanks!

Hello there fellow pilgrims!

As many of you know, I'm flying thursday evening to get in Spain for my 3rd camino.

I'm also very concerned about all this snow, even having deep experience in hiking in snow montains.

I am so driven by the Napoleon route that I'm kind of giving up going all the way to SJPP. I'm arriving in Pamplona in the afternoon next friday, and as I couldnt get anyone to share transportation, it'll cost me an extra (roughly) 110 euros justo to go to SJPP.

Im not very keen on expending 120 extra euros only to walk back to Roncesvalles by the road. I never been on this route through Vancarlos, and I really wanted to see it, but if the forecast mean I wont even be able to walk through the trails and have to get the road, I dont see the point on that (in my case).

My budget is very limited and this is making me nervous but I tought about of intead going to SJPP, get the Bus from pamplona to Roncesvalles, (cheap option!), sleep in the monastery, and start from there the next day.

As a reward for myself, I'm planning on going up to Muxia this time as I never been there.

That is, if I get in Pamplona and/or Roncesvalles and the weather is clear and the snow is not that bad, I'll reconsider and go to SJPP.

I know myself... Im stuborn and I'm scared that if I get in the junction to decide between Valcarlos route and Napoleon route my soul will drive me through the montain... So I reckon its just better to stay away if the weather is that bad.

Lets see how it goes!

I also have 02 big last minute serious problem regarding my camino. First one is that I had to change the boots I have bought 02 months agos and that were already broken in (walked roughly 80km on different terrain). Turns out that one had a small problem on the glue that holds the base. So it was a No Go boots.

I got new boot from the stores, and didnt have time to break them in. And now, the last week to go, I had some pretty serious injury on my back due to bad posture and I'm on heavy pills at the moment and I MUST stay resting for at leasst 03 more days.

Ow my god... I'm praying non stop so this is going to be better...

Hope the weather is good for all of us! And hope the camino keeps driving our hearts and soul!

Ultreya dear pilgrims!

:D

Hi codecables and all,

I have just spoken to the Guardia Civil in Burguete. The Camino from St. Jean Pied-de-Port to Roncesvalles is IMPASSABLE via the Route Napoleon, and the Valcarlos Route INADVISABLE because of sub-zero temperatures, icy conditions on the road and forecasts of firther snowfall.

The Camino from Roncesvalles to Mt. Erro is IMPASSABLE due to an accumulated snowfall of 1,5 - 1,8 metres in depth. You would be limited to roadwalking and they are actively discouraging that because of the danger it poses both to yourself and drivers. Conditions are icy, temperatures below zero and more snowfall expected. The valley is going to be snowed under for quite some time it appears.

In other words, they are telling pilgrims to stay away for their own safety.

Plan to start from Pamplona. There is snow on Mt. Perdon today, but it will likely melt away in the next few days. Roncesvalles, Mezkiritz and Erro have a much higher elevation and it will be some time before the Camino becomes passable again.

That's sad news...

Although I'm still keen not to start from pamplona... I think that's too way ahead...

I guess I'll take the chances and go to Roncesvalles...

God bless us all!

I guess I'll take the chances and go to Roncesvalles...
The path between Roncesvalles and Zubiri is impassable at the moment. The road walk is about 27 km, and you will be competing with vehicles on a slippery road. Snow is expected through next Monday.

I'm starting to get a bit demotivated with my travel now :sad:

One of the reasons I chose to walk at this time is that I was really looking forward on walking it on snow, and for the extra challenge...

I will think about it in the next couple of days and see how it goes...

I'm wondering how the pilgrims leaving from SJPP are managing their way to pamplona these days as pilgrims office says people are still leaving sjpp daily...

Hope everyone is all right

:shock:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Hi all

Thanks for all the advice, although I am quite worried now! I have just this minute reserved my accommodation in St Jean before I looked at this thread! Wish I had seen it before! I have a flight to Biarritz on the 14th March. I have done a bit of hiking in the past but never in adverse conditions like that so I am thinking it might be better to go to Pamplona. I don't think that it will take anything away from the experience although it would be lovely to walk through the Pyrenees. However, I can't imagine it would be that lovely to have to be rescued...or worse! Also my family would be freaking out if they found out I was going to be hiking through those conditions!

I'm going to look at ways to get to Pamplona now! I might rebook and fly to Madrid instead but will keep an eye out for a miraculous thaw in the Pyrenees without flooding!

I am in the same boat here,and with a little over a week to go,the weather situation is not looking good.
I'm even contemplating changing my route,trying the norte(tougher,less well serviced with perhaps similar weather conditions?),or even the via del plata(i have not even begun to research it).I have admit i'll be a bit disappointed if i can't do the frances in full,and i think i'd like to perhaps come back and do it another time rather than start it further on.
Alternatively,the tunnel route from irun to burgos,but i'd love to hear from someone who has actually done it!Anyone?!?

http://www.holiday-weather.com/roncesva ... seven-day/

"Valcarlos route inadvisable"
I see that many people are getting concerned about starting from SJPdP to the extent of changing their plans-the forcast does not look too bad,and there is not a police force in the world that would say that walking a while on a road is advisable!!!
yes its very advisable to take local advice, but me I would take it on the day I got there and if it ment staying a couple of days in SJPdP so be it.
stay safe
Ian

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Does anone know what the weather is normall like if going around May 20th starting in SJPP? Can ou still expect bad snow at that time and cold temps? :shock:

If it makes anyone feel better, I have done the Frances twice, once from Pamplona, and once through SJPP. I didn't find the the SJPP to Pamplona to be one of the better pieces of trail---a big climb, followed by some nasty trail. Roncevalles is grim but interesting in a historic way. After Pamplona, the route is glorious.

Many will disagree, but that is my opinion. I sure would not bother going to SJPP to walk a road over the top. I'd hang out in Pamplona for an extra day, go see the Hemmingway statue, eat some tapas, and head out on the real Camino.

mspath said:
Stuart79 said:

If the snow is bad you might get a TER line 62 train out of SJPdP to Bayonne, another train from Bayonne to Hendaye/Irun and then a Spanish train from Irun to Pamplona.
-------------------------
I'm looking at the possibility of having to start from Pamplona on 3/15 instead of SJPP, so I was checking out trains to Pamplona from France. Getting to Irun by train is not bad, but I'd check out the buses from there to Pamplona. The bus system seems much more direct, where the train ride involves a rather circuitous route and very long waits for transfers. The link below is very long; if it doesn't work try simply
http://www.autobusesdenavarra.com
http://www.autobusesdenavarra.com/siv/i ... n&chk_D=on
That might get you to the page which told be there were two buses a day from Irun to Pamplona; about a two-hour ride; about 7.5 Euros.
I'm going to keep close watch and hope for a SJPP start, but not at any serious risk. If I start from Pamplona, I'll come back there from Muxia and walk back over the Pyrenees to France.
Que le vaya bien,

€60,-

That's it guys. I have made my mind up. Il start from Pamplona on 15th march
Thank you everyone for the advice and tips it has been of a great help.

Good luck and stay safe

Stu

newfydog said:
If it makes anyone feel better, I have done the Frances twice, once from Pamplona, and once through SJPP. I didn't find the the SJPP to Pamplona to be one of the better pieces of trail---a big climb, followed by some nasty trail. Roncevalles is grim but interesting in a historic way. After Pamplona, the route is glorious.

Many will disagree, but that is my opinion. I sure would not bother going to SJPP to walk a road over the top. I'd hang out in Pamplona for an extra day, go see the Hemmingway statue, eat some tapas, and head out on the real Camino.

Allowing for the weather, which was brilliant for me, I wouldn't have missed the Napoleon route for quids; beautiful views, lovely walk through the forest on the downhill side and a great taste of what was to come in easier doses. But it's all personal choice.

Here is how to get from SJPP to Pamplona during the winter months when direct buses are not running from Bayonne/SJPP :

Make your way to Hendaye, the French border town near Irun. If you are arriving by plane (to Biarritz) or train from Paris this will be easy. If you are already in SJPP (??) there is a local bus service that will get you to Hendaye or just take the trains. Easy. Piece of cake.

From Hendaye you either make your way to Irun and catch a bus or simply take the Euskotren (located at the Hendaye SNCF train station) to San Sebastian (40 minutes and €1.70) from where you will take a direct bus (1 hour, €7.50) to Pamplona. When you get to San Sebastian you'll need to walk about 3 blocks from the Euskotren station to the bus station, back the way you came.

Oh well. I arrive St Palais by train tommorrow, which is where I left off in october 2011. So I walk to St Jean and then get the bus to Pampelune if it is running, or via Bayonne if it isn't. Fourth camino, and the first one where this has been an option for me. Dalie is now retired, at least from hard journeys.
The bit between Roncesvalles and Pamplelune isn't that great anyway. See you on the Camino!

If the snow is still bad and transport is affected it would be possible to walk the Norte from Irun or San Sebastian, then drop down to the Francés either from Bilbao to Burgos or Oviedo to Leon using bus or train. The coastal route should be less affected by the present weather I think.

I think it is simple:

Just go to Pamplona, have a look, and then decide based on that day´s outlook. The weather "up there" might be really bad and roads impassible right now, but things will improve over the next few days and weeks.

Don´t risk your neck because someone told you the walk "over the Pyrenees" is fabulous -- even people with years of winter hiking experience can get caught out in stormy weather. The fabulous views are invisible in a storm!

Still, the weather changes day by day. Don´t cancel plans made for mid-March based on the forecasts for late February!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Hi again

I think that I have made up my mind to go to Pamplona, but the option is still there to go to St Jean if things change although I know that the weather might improve but all that snow has to go somewhere and I don't want to get caught in flooding or mud slides etc.

I have seen a bus (Pesa) direct from Bayonne or Biarritz to San Sebastian which takes around 2 hours and then direct to Pamplona (with Movelia) which is another hour and a half. This is the easiest route I have been able to find online.

Instead of going from St Jean, I could use the time I would have spent to maybe go to Fisterra or Muxia at the end of my trip or take a more leisurely walk and take some more in. I don't see the point of taking the risk and getting stuck in St Jean for days and then have to rush the rest of my camino as my time is limited.

Good luck to all and maybe see some of you on the camino!

Many thanks to all the wonderful people who have provided information and first-hand advice!

My daughters and I have dedicated and prepared ourselves for hiking 500 miles along the Camino de Santiago, and folks have donated over $8500 to charity based on our pledge to hike the Camino, so we will indeed get in those 500 miles as promised -- however, part of the fun of hiking is rolling with the punches and dealing with last-minute challenges. Seriously, that's part of the experience -- good hikers should always be prepared to make last-minute decisions based on up-to-date info. No one wants to end up a human popsicle.

Here's our new plan -- our train gets into Bayonne first thing in the morning on March 12. We will make phone calls and check the internet for info about the snow depth on the passes between SJPP and Pamplona, and we will take a good look at various weather forecasts. If everything looks decent enough, then we'll head to SJPP and begin March 13 as previously planned. If routes are still impassable, then we'll head to Pamplona and do the Finesterra/Muxia loop after Santiago -- that extra bit to the ocean will make up for the mileage we'll have lost at the beginning. Either way, we get our 500 miles and have a great Camino experience.

Grand adventures require flexibility. :) It's all about attitude. And not ending up a human popsicle.

Rebekah Scott said:
I think it is simple:

Just go to Pamplona, have a look, and then decide based on that day´s outlook. The weather "up there" might be really bad and roads impassible right now, but things will improve over the next few days and weeks.

I would still offer one caveat to bear in mind: the conditions in Pamplona are deceptive. Pamplona is situated in a basin between a number of mountains (la "Cuenca de Pamplona") and, as a result, has a micro-climate that tends to protect it in winter, as well as making it somewhat rainier in summer. So the weather in Pamplona is often very different from the weather to the north of the city, or on the other side of Perdón to the southwest.

Additionally, Pamplona is situated at an altitude some 449 metres above sea level. The Collado de Lepoeder (the highest point on the Route Napoleon) is 1430 metres in altitude, the Puerto de Ibañeta 1057m and Roncesvalles some 950 metres. The passes at Mezkiritiz and Erro are 920 and 800 metres respectively. That's a significant difference in terms of weather conditions. If a person were to arrive in Pamplona today, they would find the sun shining and no snow on the ground. However, immediately to the north, San Cristobal is snow-capped and to the west, so is the Sierra de Perdón. As I said previously, the snow on Perdón will likely melt today and tomorrow, leaving just the mud with which to contend. But in the valleys to the north, there is still 1,5 - 1,8 metres of snow. So basing your decision on what things look like in Pamplona is not necessarily prudent.

The temperatures in Roncesvalles/Burguete are slightly above zero at the moment, which means a bit of melting, but the temperatures will drop below zero again this afternoon, and that means the little bit that has melted will freeze, making road conditions on the Valcarlos route more dangerous. And some 400 metres further above on the Route Napoleon, it's colder and remains impassable.

More snow is also forecast for Friday, 1 March. Just keep all that in mind, because it matters.

Rebekah Scott said:
Don´t risk your neck because someone told you the walk "over the Pyrenees" is fabulous -- even people with years of winter hiking experience can get caught out in stormy weather. The fabulous views are invisible in a storm!

Still, the weather changes day by day. Don´t cancel plans made for mid-March based on the forecasts for late February!

Very true. I can help here and am happy to do so. If you're arriving later in March, keep your eye on this thread or please feel free to PM me. I will gladly help you stay on top of the weather situation, and I will stay in touch with the Guardia Civil in the valley. When the Route Napoleon and the walkers' trail from Roncesvalles to Mt. Erro are judged safe again, I will post it here.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

The problem with the Napoleon section of the route is that there is no town between Orisson and Roncesvalles to stop if you get into trouble. A farmhouse or two and the little emergency cabin on the top of the mountain.

If I was flying into Biarritz or taking train to Bayonne this week, I would check with the Pilgrims office, once I arrived, and decide from that point. If the pass is closed, you could start walking from Bayonne and walk the Vasco until it connects with the Frances in Santa Domingo de la Calzada or Burgos. That would cover the 500 mile issue.

You could walk (30km's) or bus to Irun and take a train or bus to Pamplona. You could also switch to the Norte.

If I was coming from Pamplona, I would call SJPdP upon arrival and check conditions. If conditions were poor, I would start from Pamplona.

My point is I would not worry about conditions prior to my arrival. You have plenty of good options and there is no sense in worrying about something you can not control.

The trip over the mountain (Napoleon) or along the road (Valcarlos) are not worth endangering you life to do.

Ultreya,
Joe

Hi again,

Thank you all for your good advice. Yesterday I contacted the Colegiata in Roncesvalles and they confirmed that towards Zubiri only the road was passable. I had hoped to start in Roncesvalles on Friday, but walking along a slippery winter road is not what I had intended, so I guess I'll start from Pamlona. On the positive side, this might allow me to walk all the way to Fisterra.

Ultreya!

I agree with the others regarding not worrying -- just be flexible and change plans according to the latest weather and path/road reports. For us, it's a win/win situation. Start in SJPP and finish in Santiago or start in Pamplona and go all the way to the ocean....both options look good to us so we'll let the weather and route conditions decide!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Navarricano said:
I can help here and am happy to do so. If you're arriving later in March, keep your eye on this thread or please feel free to PM me. I will gladly help you stay on top of the weather situation, and I will stay in touch with the Guardia Civil in the valley. When the Route Napoleon and the walkers' trail from Roncesvalles to Mt. Erro are judged safe again, I will post it here.

Many, many thanks for this, Navarricano.

Mo0904 said:
I have seen a bus (Pesa) direct from Bayonne or Biarritz to San Sebastian which takes around 2 hours and then direct to Pamplona (with Movelia) which is another hour and a half. This is the easiest route I have been able to find online.

2 hours from Biarritz to San Sebastian? Just go to the SNCF train station in Hendaye. Just outside there is the Euskotren (They have now put the word "Metro" outside the station). The Euskotren only takes 40 minutes and costs a paltry €1.70. From SS there are direct buses to Pamplona which take no more than 1 hour.

Thanks, Navarricano, and others for the on-the-ground reports of this year's weather. We're leaving from Paris March 19 - original plan to go to St JPdP but that is very flexible. I'd prefer to err on the side of caution so am reading everyone's thoughts about other places to start very carefully. Love the forum for this, and thank you all!!!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Just a thought for those thinking of the Norte....
Accomodation is far more problematic outside the summer tourist season, and unless things have improved greatly since I did it in 2004 the waymarking none too good. Something that won't have changed is the trerrain. Up and down all the way. No flat bits worth mentioning.

newfydog said:

I'm the same - one Camino from Pamplona and a previous one from SJPP. I really didn't feel like I'd missed much 'just' starting from Pamplona the second time. On day one you get to the pilgrim monument, see the whole of Spain in front of you (well, kind of) and know where you're going. I'd like to do the Route Napoleon at some stage because I've only walked via Valcarlos, but it wouldn't keep me awake on my deathbed if I never got round to it.

Buen, safe Caminos a todos!

Thank you to everyone who posted practical advice here.After spending the last few days feeling anxious about the un-likelihood of setting off from sjpdp,including thinking about alternative routes,it looks like starting in pamplona may be for the best,for me anyway.It also means i could start my camino a day earlier,and be further along too,which as i don't have as much time as i'd like to have to reach santiago anyway,may indeed be a blessing in disguise. :D

Hi all,

It's a gray and slightly foggy morning in Pamplona. As I was heading to work this morning, I could see that there's still quite a bit of snow on the northeast slope of the Sierra de Perdón where the Camino passes from Zariquiegui to the summit. The temperature in Pamplona and the surrounding villages is around 2º C (36ºF) at the moment, probably a bit chillier up top Perdón. The snowPerdón on will probably continue to melt slowly today and throughout the weekend. Expect seriously muddy and slippery trails if you're heading up Perdón in the next few days, and walk with caution on the narrower bits of the trail as you head up. You could slip and take a tumble quite easily.

Be safe and buen Camino!

Hello there dear Pilgrims!

I'll be flying in a few hours to Madri, and then I'll be getting a train to pamplona arriving tomorrow at 14:30.

Although I have stopped worring about the weather in the last couple of days (I'll just leave for the Camino to decide it for me), I was thinking about where to get a credencial in Pamplona.

Can anyone confirm if I can walk all the way from the train (renfe) station to Calle Compañia and get a credential in the municipal refugio (also, is the municipal Refugio still on that street?)?

I was also thinking, if I decide to start from Pamplona, about gettin the credencial in Calle Compañia and maybe start walking up to Cizur Menor, as it's just one hour away.

I love Pamplona, but I'm from São Paulo and we have 20 + million people living in here. For me, the smallest the place, the best for what I need at the moment.

I mean, this is just a thought... On the other hand I'd love to spend one night in Pamplona having some tapas and copas.

I know the municipal refugio didn't accept pilgrims starting in Pamplona as well. Do you guys thing this is still true during winter? I know pamplona have several private hostels and hotels, but my budget is limited and I wanna try to stay only in the municipal albergues as I always did before.

Once again, thanks you all for all your advices and the good energies you guys are sending us!

I'll let you know by next week if I started in Pamplona or in SJPP.

Nothing but love you all! Nothing but love...

Ultreya;

Vagner

It is about a 30 minute walk. Jesus y Maria is likely to take you; they need the business!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

vlebe said:
Although I have stopped worring about the weather in the last couple of days (I'll just leave for the Camino to decide it for me), I was thinking about where to get a credencial in Pamplona.

Can anyone confirm if I can walk all the way from the train (renfe) station to Calle Compañia and get a credential in the municipal refugio (also, is the municipal Refugio still on that street?)?

Hi Vlebe,

Yes, you can walk up from the RENFE station. It's about a half an hour walk to the albergue municipal from the train station. Admittedly not far for someone who's going to spend the next month hoofing it across the north of Spain. Alternatively, you could get the #9 bus from the train station (1,60€ fare) and get off at Plaza de Merindades and walk into the old part of town and the albergue.

Yes, the albergue is still in the same location as before, in Calle Compañía.

vlebe said:
I was also thinking, if I decide to start from Pamplona, about gettin the credencial in Calle Compañia and maybe start walking up to Cizur Menor, as it's just one hour away...

I mean, this is just a thought... On the other hand I'd love to spend one night in Pamplona having some tapas and copas.

I know the municipal refugio didn't accept pilgrims starting in Pamplona as well. Do you guys thing this is still true during winter? I know pamplona have several private hostels and hotels, but my budget is limited and I wanna try to stay only in the municipal albergues as I always did before.

You can sleep in the Albergue Municipal as long as you plan to start walking the Camino the next day. If you're going to spend an extra night in Pamplona and enjoy the city, then no, you can't, but you can stay if you're starting the Camino from Pamplona the next day. They currently ask for 7€ to spend the night, and 1,50€ for the credential.

Let me know if you need any more info. Buen Camino!

Yes, you can get a credential there.

Thanks a lot Falcon and Navarricano;

You guys are Stars!

:D

Hi Navarricano-

Your updates and advice on weather conditions have been invaluable...please do keep them coming! I live in the mountains of Montana and know very well that a well-intentioned winter hike can lead to trouble very quickly. PLEASE, fellow Pilgrims, heed Navarricano's warnings :!: and consider her words of wisdom to be a blessing.

T minus 4 days and counting...can't wait to get started from Pamplona on Thursday!!

Thanks again!
Brigitte

Her?! HER'?? :shock:

'Fraid I'm a "he" bfletcher... or else the handle would be "NavarricanA". 8)

Not a problem though, and thanks very much for the kind words! I'm happy to help in any small way I can. I will continue to stay on top of things as much as possible to pass along news to pilgrims arriving in the next couple of weeks.

God bless!

Thanks to everyone for alerting us about problems with the SJPP routes, due to snowfall this year. I begin my first Camino on March 25 and now think I will start from Pamplona instead of St. Jean. Unfortunately, I fly into Biarritz/Bayonne on the evening of March 25. Can anyone tell me the easiest way to get from the airport at Biarritz to Pamplona? It doesn't look like there are flights. Appreciate any suggestions. (The more detailed, the better!)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

HA~how embarrassing! :oops: Rookie mistake, NavarricanO...clearly I still have a lot to learn! My sincerest apologies!

Muchas gracias nonetheless!

Brigitte

SmithRebecca said:
Thanks to everyone for alerting us about problems with the SJPP routes, due to snowfall this year. I begin my first Camino on March 25 and now think I will start from Pamplona instead of St. Jean. Unfortunately, I fly into Biarritz/Bayonne on the evening of March 25. Can anyone tell me the easiest way to get from the airport at Biarritz to Pamplona? It doesn't look like there are flights. Appreciate any suggestions. (The more detailed, the better!)

The cheapest way is to take a train from Biarritz to Hendaye which is not far at all. It should only cost a few euros. From there you take the Eurskotren (marked "Metro" outside the French SNCF railway staion, it's right there in the parking lot, you can't miss it.) You go to San Sebastian. The ride takes 40 minutes and will cost €1.70. In San Sebastian you will need to walk about 3 blocks to the bus station (just ask for directions, it's not far) and from there you take a direct bus to Pamplona, 1 hour and about €7.50. It's a piece of cake, really.

There is one bus a day from Irun to Pamplona:

08:00 09:50 IRUN PAMPLONA/IRUÑA 1h 50m 8,02 € - Free Seat(s)

From the airport to Hendaye:

http://www.biarritzairport.com/Access/

then across the border to Irun.

How is the weather in Pamplona today?

Raining?

Snow?

Any sun?

Hi hotelmedicis,

It's overcast and cold in Pamplona today. Temperature's currently around 3ºC. The sun has been trying to break out all morning, but it's been pretty hazy so far.

The temperatures got down below freezing overnight, as they have for the past several weeks. This is actually a good thing as it helps to freeze the ground and firm up some of the mud.

There was still a good bit of snow visible on the Sierra de Perdón this morning, but it's gradually clearing.

Ive been reading latest posts from a mild midnight in Canberra Australia where summer has just ended. Like others, anxiety of various types has been overtaking me whenever Ive seen the reports about the weather conditions. Now tho I'm much more struck by the helpfulness, wisdom and mutual encouragement of the camino spirit so evident on this thread. Anxiety replaced by comradeship. :) My original plans were to train from Paris to SJPP on March 16, meet a good friend there on morning of Mar 18 who'll be travelling from Madrid day before; or if her connections dont work, then meeting later in Valcarlos or Roncesvalle. Not sure now where we'll aim to start walking from .. Pamplona is looking a likely option. We will keep closely attentive to the updates. Muchas muchas gracias for these...(espanol practice there) and for the tips on alternate transport and routes. Looking forward to meeting up with some of you in person on the road. Robyn

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

I would really like to thank Navarricano on behalf of the Forum for his preoccupation for getting out the message of what havoc bad weather can do to interrupt ones plans! With him living just "down the road" Pamplona I think has really got the message through! Well done. Anne

My original plans were to train from Paris to SJPP on March 16, meet a good friend there on morning of Mar 18
Don't change plans yet; the weather and the conditions can change dramatically in two weeks. Be flexible, and have a "Plan B" in mind, but make the final decision much closer to March 16.

Buen camino. I think Valcarlos will be a very likely option, but that is just a guess.

Weather today:
Fecha
vie 01 sáb 02 dom 03 lun 04 mar 05 mié 06 jue 07
12–18 18–24 0–6 6–12 12–18 18–24 0–12 12–24 0–12 12–24
Estado del cielo Muy nuboso Muy nuboso Nuboso Poco nuboso Poco nuboso Poco nuboso Intervalos nubosos Intervalos nubosos Intervalos nubosos Muy nuboso Cubierto con lluvia escasa Muy nuboso con lluvia escasa Muy nuboso con lluvia
Prob. precip. 0% 0% 0% 5% 5% 5% 5% 15% 10% 15% 60% 75% 85%
Cota nieve prov.(m) 1300 1200 1300 1500 1600 1800
Temp. mín./máx. (°C) 0 / 5 -1 / 7 -1 / 10 2 / 11 6 / 10 6 / 12 6 / 12
Viento Norte Norte Norte Norte Norte Sur Sur Sur Sudeste Sudeste Sudeste Sur Sur
(km/h) 20 15 10 10 10 10 15 15 35 35 20 15 30
Indice UV máximo 3 3 3 3 3
Avisos Sin Riesgo Sin Riesgo Sin Riesgo Sin Riesgo Sin Riesgo Sin Riesgo

Hello everyone!

I'm sitting in a bar in Pamplona as I type and that means I decided to start from here.

The weather is not that bad at all (although is very cold).

Just met some Germans in the albergue who went through Nepoleon route anyways and they showed me some amazing pictures....
. I have to say that I felt a bit bad for not starting in SJPP, but... Well... That's all good! :)

I'm happy to be here!

Hope you guys are well.

Love

Vagner

HI Vagner
no need to feel bad,its not about where you start or finish-have a great time,I follow in 4 weeks time,if you get a chance would love to hear of your progress
buen camino
Ian

So is all the bad weather confined to the eastern part of the Camino? My compatriots and I are leaving out of Ponferrada in 2 weeks - any news of bad weather as you head further west, or should we expect any? Good luck and safe travels to all those considering tackling the less-than-stellar conditions.

any news of bad weather as you head further west
Weather forecasts beyond a couple of days are very inaccurate, so any current bad weather will not effect you in Ponferrada. Check the weather closer to your departure date. Yes, there is new snow at O Cebreiro and the Iron Cross. It likely will be gone by your arrival.

Attachments

• o cebreiro 3.2.jpg
    o cebreiro 3.2.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 15,954

No, the snow in Roncesvalles and the surrounding valleys is most definitely not gone yet.

I phoned the Guardia Civil in Burgiete at 13.00 this afternoon. They are still recommending the highway route for walkers. The Route Napoleon over the mountain is still too dangerous, and the walker's trail from Roncesvalles still snowed under. If you begin from Roncesvalles, they ask you to stick to the highway.

It hasn't snowed for several days now, but there's still lot of snow and it's very icy.

That's the latest word from the valley. The weather has been beautiful in Pamplona yesterday and today, but again, Roncesvalles and the surrounding valleys are at a much higher elevation, so conditions there are different.

The Sierra de Perdón, on the other hand, looks clear from Pamplona and Cizur Menor. I will continue to update as I can, folks.

Navarricano said:
No, the snow in Roncesvalles and the surrounding valleys is most definitely not gone yet.
The Sierra de Perdón, on the other hand, looks clear from Pamplona and Cizur Menor. I will continue to update as I can, folks.
Thank you for these updates! You are a wonderful resource for us soon heading out - and I have to say this is an amazing forum. Bill

€60,-

Hello everyone! Just updating you all weather wise on the Camino right now now.

I'm on estella this evening and the last couple of days were perfect for walking!

Blue sky, not even one cloud on the sky...
This morning I was actually walking on t-shirts for a while! No kidding!

It's been a blessing to be here once again!

There was a lot of mud going up Alto del Perdon, but totally manageable...

You can see on the picture attached from the top of alto del Perdon that there isn't almost any snow left around the hills in Pamplona.

Off course, this is the situation now.. And things can change in a matter of a couple of days.

Hope you are all well and safe!

Buen Camino everyone!

Ultreya

:)

Attachments

• 1362337275772.jpg
    1362337275772.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 15,422

Navicerrano,

Many thanks for your advice here. I'll be arriving Biarritz on 15th March and am strongly inclining to start Pamplona. This could have the advantage of letting me see San Sebastián and it gives me a few days up my sleeve, maybe even to go the coast.

A word of caution occurs as well- for those pilgrims comforted by safety in any numbers it would appear numbers might be less from St Jean.

Looking forward to the day!

Mindfull said:
Navicerrano,

Many thanks for your advice here. I'll be arriving Biarritz on 15th March and am strongly inclining to start Pamplona. This could have the advantage of letting me see San Sebastián and it gives me a few days up my sleeve, maybe even to go the coast.

A word of caution occurs as well- for those pilgrims comforted by safety in any numbers it would appear numbers might be less from St Jean.

Looking forward to the day!

We're arrive in Bayonne the morning of the 12th and we're still unsure whether or not to start from SJPP or Pamplona. The girls' father will be with us and he needs to use a bike, so trying to figure out flexible drop-off locations for a rental complicates matters. I know there are bike shops in both SJPP and Pamplona, so he can call those places and discuss the options with them...or he can taxi ahead while we walk, I suppose.

The determining factor for me is whether or not the Way is open from Roncesvalles to Zubiri....if pilgrims must walk the road, and/or if the Camino itself is full of knee-deep snow, then we'll start from Pamplona. Will keep checking back here for conditions.

Thanks to everyone for all the helpful information!

Hello everyone,

I have just been on the telephone once more with both the Guardia Civil and the Colegiata de Roncesvalles about the situation in the valley. Here's the latest for folks arriving this weekend.

From St. Jean Pied-de-Port: Under no circumstances should you follow the Route Napoleon over the mountains. There is still snow there and the weather is still very unstable up top. There have been two helicopter rescues this week! If you begin in St. Jean Pied-de-Port, take the Valcarlos route and stay on the asphalted (metalled) highway. That is what they are advising. There are points where the Camino leaves the highway and goes off into the forest. Don't do that, stay on the highway. Yes, that will make for a longer journey, but it's what the Guardia Civil is advising.

And wear the yellow or orange safety vests that were discussed on this thread previously as you will be walking on the highway. Spanish law requires this and you could be fined if you don't. You should be able to buy reflective safety vests in St. Jean Pied-de-Port if you can't get them before leaving home, but do remember that you need to be visible from front and back, so a reflective yellow or orange rain poncho large enough to cover you and your pack might be a better option.

From Roncesvalles to Zubiri: The snow has melted off for the most part. There's lots of mud, so be careful on some of the ascents and descents on the trail, especially at the passes of Mezkiritz and Mt. Erro (I'm thinking particularly of the descent from Erro into Zubiri). The Camino intersects the asphalted highway at several points, so if you find it too hard a slog with the mud and water, you can always rejoin the road. If you do wear the safety vests/ponchos. Exercise caution in all cases on slick trails.

Weather forecast:It is currently 13ºC (56ºF) and raining in Roncesvalles. There will be more rain and cool to mild temps over the next five days. The weather forecast for the next five days is as follows:

- Friday 8 March: cloudy and chilly with showers throughout the day. A high of 9ºC (48ºF)
- Saturday 9 March: partly sunny with showers throughout the day. A high of 11ºC (52ºF)
- Sunday 10 March: chilly with rain and drizzle all day. A high of 9ºC (49ºF)
- Monday 11 March: some showers throughout the morning. A high of 9ºC (48ºF)
- Tuesday 12 March: colder with snow. A high of 1ºC (35ºF)

As always, be prudent, stay safe and I'll keep posting updates as needed. God bless!

Talk about service. This is excellent information from a well-place and reliable source.

Thank you!

Thank you so much for these updates. We are not beginning until March 22, 2013. Praying the snow melts by then. We have red rain ponchos. If we put reflective tape on them will that do?

kacacc said:
Thank you so much for these updates. We are not beginning until March 22, 2013. Praying the snow melts by then. We have red rain ponchos. If we put reflective tape on them will that do?

I think red is probably okay, since that's the color that Navarra's regional police force, the Policía Foral wear on duty, but yes, I would also go ahead and put reflective tape on them. Remember that if you're on the Valcarlos route, you're walking in a deep, densely-wooded valley for most of the way. If your ponchos are a deep red, they may not be as immediately visible as fluorescent yellow or orange. You want cars and trucks to be able to spot you no matter what the meteorological conditions, so reflective tape is always a good idea.

what is the weather forecast from saint jean pied de port on Route Napoleon over the mountains to roncesvalles on Monday 11th march. is the pass open at the moment or is it snowed in, thanks Alistair

In Roncesvalles, the low will be 3C, high 10C. Snow level about 1300 meters. Thirty percent chance of rain in the morning, and 95% chance of rain in the afternoon. You should check for advisories on the morning you leave to see which route is recommended. Both can be walked entirely on road. Roncesvalles is much lower than the crest of the Ibaneta pass, so has better weather and less wind.

Thanks Falcon.
was reading the posts on here and was getting a bit worried about the weather. Have room booked and payed for in Saint jean pied de port for sunday 10th march 2013. so think will still head there and just see what the weather is like on the day and just adjust our plans depending on what the weather is like on the day

amafrin said:
what is the weather forecast from saint jean pied de port on Route Napoleon over the mountains to roncesvalles on Monday 11th march. is the pass open at the moment or is it snowed in, thanks Alistair

Hi amafrin,

Five posts above your question, I posted an update on the weather and Camino conditions yesterday evening. Have a look at that too if you need more info. I am keeping in touch with the Guardia Civil in Burguete and the Colegiata (monastery) at Roncesvalles, and will continue to post updates on this thread.

Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back